• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doom comes to Xbox Live Arcade TODAY - 4 player co-op online. AVAILABLE NOW.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
sangreal said:
800 points for a game thats free on PC? no thanks

uh, Doom isn't free - the engine source code is, but the assets (art and levels) certainly aren't. In fact, I'm pretty sure Id still sells them.

And this definitely has me excited. REALLY excited. Doom is my favorite game of all time.

LakeEarth

I dunno if I'm gonna buy this, but I did get the limited edition Doom 3 just for Doom 1 and 2 on it, so its a probability. Would Doom 2 be crazy easy to port with this engine?
Yarr!!

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
LakeEarth said:
There was a 4th episode made for Ultimate Doom, which was just Doom 1 for Windows 95 (I think).

Ultimate Doom was the box-set retail pack for Doom 1 (the original was a shareware product). It included a fourth episode (Thy Flesh Consumed). Doom for windows 95 was a different retail pack.

BuddyC

Larry Bird said:
kb/m support on the way

Believe.
Doubtful.

I'll put it this way: If Shadowrun, a game which is simultaneously being developed on 360 / PC and already has a completely functional keyboard / mouse interface that puts both setups on equal footing (important since PC and 360 users will be able to play online together), isn't supporting keyboard and mouse on the 360 due to MS guidelines, I don't think you'll see Doom support keyboard and mouse either.

Razoric

Banned
BuddyC said:
Doubtful.

I'll put it this way: If Shadowrun, a game which is simultaneously being developed on 360 / PC and already has a completely functional keyboard / mouse interface that puts both setups on equal footing (important since PC and 360 users will be able to play online together), isn't supporting keyboard and mouse on the 360 due to MS guidelines, I don't think you'll see Doom support keyboard and mouse either.

I always have to go back to... WHY does everyone want kb/m support for 360? Where the hell are you guys playing these systems that you can actually play a console with a kb/m?

Nerevar said:
Ultimate Doom was the box-set retail pack for Doom 1 (the original was a shareware product). It included a fourth episode (Thy Flesh Consumed). Doom for windows 95 was a different retail pack.

I actually have Ultimate Doom sitting in my PC Case :D

ToxicAdam

This is a nice announcement, but I would have hoped that XBL was going to mean something more.

To me, Quake 2 with 8 player multiplay would be a hundred times better than this. The Quake engine is far superior and the gun selection is better. That would be a purchase you could play for the rest of this generation and never tire of.

ToxicAdam said:
This is a nice announcement, but I would have hoped that XBL was going to mean something more.

To me, Quake 2 with 8 player multiplay would be a hundred times better than this. The Quake engine is far superior and the gun selection is better. That would be a purchase you could play for the rest of this generation and never tire of.

never say never :)

Kobold

half-wit retard monkey's ass
I mean episodes, not like Doom II and shit.

If it's not originally 4, then i'm not sure about 4, that's what came to mind, but might be 3. Can't check, almost going to press conference now.

Also, quake 2 is already included with quake 4, right? get the disc on ebay for cheap or summin. :)

4 player co-op online? As in the single player mode can be played co-op with 4 people? That's cool, but can you do it offline with splitscreen?

atomsk

Party Pooper
Razoric said:
I always have to go back to... WHY does everyone want kb/m support for 360? Where the hell are you guys playing these systems that you can actually play a console with a kb/m?

at my computer desk... with the VGA cable...

ghostmind

That is hot... I played Doom 1&2 way more than Doom 3 when I got the Doom 3 CE for Xbox...

Now, how about some Wolfenstein 3D lovin'?

I CALLED THE CALLING OF IT!!!

In the Lumines Live thread, ol' Kobold let it slip and I CALLED IT!

Grapes, tea-tree oils, I want the whole megillah!

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
sangreal said:

You can also play with some modifications like OpenGL and +mlook so you can actually look up and down

SuperPac

How many wads will it come with? Will there be cool wads? What about the wads?

It'll be fun to play Doom after all these years, though.

DCX

DCX
Doom...yes, this is a mustown...kinda like geometry Wars and Uno. Now maybe i can get people to play co-op with me...since NO ONE WANTS TO IN SMASH TV!!!!!

DCX

This is cool, but Rise of the Triad would've been so much cooler - the online was awesome back in 1995, and i'd love to play it again via XBLA.

acksman

Well that just sold 4 copies for sure, maybe 6. Me and my buddies would stay up all night playing this in college. Now that we are spread out all over the US, this will give us a way to rocket each other in the face again.

bill0527

Razoric said:

More people this generation seem to be playing on monitors because they are a cheaper alternative to hi-def TVs and you can get hi-def resolutions on a monitor.

But I'm with you. I game on a home theater setup and I don't see how the hell I'd be able to wield a keyboard and mouse effectively while all kicked back in my lazy boy recliner.

hyp

this is gonna be a blast on XBLA. i used to play this shit over a 14.4k modem connection with some of my buddies and those were the best online gaming times of my life.

LakeEarth

Flek said:
today ? whats with dig dug ?
The current hope is that a new XBLA will show up AFTER the TGS conference. Here's to hoping, cause if it doesn't, that means Scramble was the only XBLA release for all of september.

Orlics

Sho Nuff said:
"OK mom -- the phone is about to ring -- but DON'T PICK IT UP"

*Ring*

(types ATA)

doom.exe

I did this with my uncle all the time. At random times during the day I'd call him up and ask, "Can we connect?" And that was that. :D

Top Bottom