• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doom comes to Xbox Live Arcade TODAY - 4 player co-op online. AVAILABLE NOW.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Oh god, 4 player co-op online? I think my heart just stopped. I love Doom so much...

Perhaps this is just the first of many to come. Maybe Doom is just the start to have Doom II, Quake, Hexen, etc: coming out later.

However, if the Gods of XBLA are listening, oh hear my cries. There is but one game that will bring me joy beyond joy, fun beyond fun, and will bring me back to my days of hauling my big ass PC over to my friends house, throwing in my dual Voodoo 2 cards, and whoopin' dat ass, LAN style................

250px-Dukenukem3d.jpg

This must happen.

BuddyC

Nice to see they're pursuing the Apple mindset, both announcing and releasing this in just a little bit. Pretty cool :D

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
Wario64 said:
You can also play with some modifications like OpenGL and +mlook so you can actually look up and down

as I mentioned before, Doom is not free on the PC. Don't know why you guys think it is.

Gattsu25

Banned
Nerevar said:
as I mentioned before, Doom is not free on the PC. Don't know why you guys think it is.
Doom shareware with modifications IS free, but to use the full game you need access to the full .WAD file, which is NOT free

Whoa! Now I have to quote Point Break: "It's amazing! ****ing amazing!"

This is great news. Hopefully they'll add in Doom 2 later on as well.

Ooo Quake yes please!

Guess Doom is a start though.

They better not make us wait. >.> I'm sick of getting excited over XBLA games (SF2, Lum, UMK3 etc) only to wait and wait and wait and wait for the dumb thing to actually COME OUT.

robot said:
Love to hear some impressions (i know its doom) - gonna download this tonight.

I don't have 800points so just the demo impressions. Ahem...

IT'S DOOM WTF LOLZ

Seriously though, it controls really nice with right thumb for turning and left thumb for WASD. No 16:9 option or anything crazy, but you can increase the play window all the way up like back in the day (but of course the stats parts stays on the bottom). The movements feel slightly loose like the old days too. It's exactly what you'd expect.

The music is working fine for me, but I didn't notice any smoother textures.

The online deathmatch is fun. On co-op there were plenty of enemies and I like some of the added weapon placement, like the rocket launcher in the first level. However, one of my own teammates purposely killed me and the others had no problem with shooting one another either, so I think I'll just stick to playing cooperatively with people I know.

mollipen

I have nothing against Doom - loved it back in the day, no question - but it kind of sucks to see this game suddenly show up and right away be up online, while we're still waiting for great titles that were announced months and months and months ago. I'm an Apple fan, so I'm used to (and love) the "we're announcing it, and it's out today bitches!", but again, it stings a little when the list of announced XBLA games gets longer and longer, but the list of ones that have actually made it out gets shorter and shorter in comparison.

I also, hmm... age old FPS titles like Doom just don't hold up in my eyes. But that's me, and I know others disagree.

$h@d0w

ChrisAllenFiz said:
Its freaking doom. You get all you need to know in 2 mins.ie, how good is the port

The port isn't great to me - no customisation of controls, no auto run option and the music sounds muffled.

I praise MS's content delivery system though.

oBa

I played a couple of quick 4 player deathmatches.

Netcode is still up for debate. One game was completely unplayble due to horrible lag stuttering while the next one was completely fine. So it remains to be seen how well this game will work online. Both games reported green net status for all players.

Otherwise, its good ole Doom 1 4 player deathmatch. However, I think they screwed up on a couple of important points: 1. There is no status message update when x player kills y player. Also and more importantly, there appears to be no way to view the current place standings in a given game. Am I in first place, or am I in last place?? Who knows! Whatever...

Mrbob

Me and DM played a ton of online co op earlier, great fun and no lag. DOOM XBLA online runs smoother than most regular 360 games online. :lol

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
It's doom alright. Co-op slut in me wouldn't allow me to look away. It's ****ing Doom. Friends interested + co-op = I was sold.

Hopefuully I can get some free time after tomorrow for some real play time. Not a bad filler title for the wait to Gears.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
The fps geek in me just can't resist this xbla release, it's been so long since I played this online over modem.. over xbl this'll be schweet! :D

ntb825

Played a 4 player ranked DM. It was neat. A little laggy, but it was a connection issue, everyone besides me had red bar pings : |

I ended up winning, lol. hurray.

Oh and the achievements are somewhat easy to get. You get one for finishing a level on nightmare, which is easy as pie for us Doom PC vets. You get one for killing all enemies on Hurt Me Plenty, one for completing a level ( :lol ), one for finding any secret in any level, one for finding all the items in a level, one for completing each episode, one for 50 kills in MP and one for 100. I think that's all..

Top Bottom