• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM (Holiday 2017) and Wolfenstein II (2018) Announced for Nintendo Switch

Can we finally agree that Nintendo is Doomed?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Si2k78

Jaguar Doom: The basis for nearly every other port, identifiable by simplified geometry and texture variety (the telltale trait starting out is the second room on your left in E1M1. In the PC original, there's pillars here and a variety of textures; on most ports, it's a simpler, flatter room with a grayish look, and no pillars.) John Carmack headed this port up. Famously lacks any music at all, but it runs quite smoothly. Some missing or altered levels (this is standard) and a few levels of the original have been replaced with new ones.

Sega 32X Doom: A very divisive version that actually came out before Jag Doom despite being based on it. It features a far lower resolution, and control and gameplay simplifications. However, it actually runs very smoothly, one of the best ports of the 90s in that regard. So why is it divisive? The music is notoriously bad (some say the developers somehow messed up or weren't able to utilize the full sound capabilities of the system), and it's missing nearly half the game, with the entire third act missing. Instead it just abruptly cuts to credits after completing a not very climactic second act level, and if you used a cheat code... you get a C:\DOOM MS-DOS prompt text message.

SNES Doom: One of the oddest ports; it actually has more accurate geometry than the Jaguar-derived ports, but it has no textures on the ceilings or floors. It has many levels but things like shotguns being pellets, strafing, and monsters turning around (instead they just always face you) are gone. It runs at a super low resolution and molasses framerate, even for a SNES game. On the other hand, it's a technical marvel that it runs on the system and the soundtrack is a great rendition. Oh, and the programmer went on to create Bleem!

PlayStation Doom: Considered almost certainly the best home version of the time overall, but a weird one in some respects. It uses colored lighting and a completely different soundtrack and set of sound effects to make the whole game more gritty and ambient and atmospheric. It includes a bunch of levels from Doom II. If you bump up the difficulty, then Doom II exclusive enemies appear in some Doom I stages. It also has edited, changed, or replaced (with console exclusive) stages. That said, it has a staggering amount of content (much of Doom 1 and 2), runs fairly smoothly, and even supports system link for LAN play.

3DO Doom: There's an incredible interview and article about this. The programmer for this project, Rebecca Heineman (an industry veteran who IIRC worked on Wolfenstein 3D for 3DO) was tapped by a company that had gotten the Doom for 3DO license and was expecting a quick windfall. She soon learned that despite promises that the game was up and running, they had absolutely nothing, forcing her to ask John Carmack for the source code. The publisher made incredible promises about new weapons, levels, enemies, and FMV sequences (photos of these scrapped live action scenes recently emerged and they are INCREDIBLE). In short: they were the kind of guys who thought you just drew a level or gun and put it in the game, easy peasy, like an hour's work, right? At one point they even asked her to just download some fan levels from the internet and slap them on the disk to fill it out. The game runs like garbage in a tiny window, with options to enlarge or shrink it to balance the framerate (there's a secret code to make it fullscreen, which was put in in the hope's that the 3DO's successor, the unreleased M2, could use it). It's essentially the Jaguar version, but running like garbage in a tiny window. It has music though! She found a garage band that did a really kickass version of the soundtrack! That's about the only good thing about it!

Sega Saturn Doom: Imagine the PS1 version. Now imagine it has all the colored lighting gone. Now imagine that it has the most inconsistent framerate in the world. That's this game. The programmer has gone on record that they had a version running that used the Saturn's unique hardware to do hardware acceleration, but the visual effect it produces (textures warped due to affine texture filtering) made John Carmack give it the thumbs-down, forcing them to essentially run the game in software mode for a massive performance loss. It's also quite buggy and unoptimized, leading to a framerate with massive swings.

There's also the GBA version, the version included in Doom 3 on Xbox, and the XBLA version for 360, but I need to stop for now.

Oh, and Doom 64, but that's an entirely new game made by the PSX Doom people.

edit: also, these are only the general differences. there's a LOT of differences when it comes to level layout, which levels were maintained, which were altered or were completely new, which enemies were included and which were cut, enemy and weapon behavior, etc.

You Sir, is the reason why NeoGaf is so amazing. Thank you!

unrealist

I am just concerned about battery life on such graphically advanced games. BOTW is currently the most battery sapping game (in my library) and I wonder if Doom will top it.

Mr. Tibbs

I was just about to say that ID Software did not pioneer shareware... they pioneered many other things, but not that one. Scott Miller did contribute a lot to the shareware model though.

Though granted, Apogee was the premiere name in shareware developers on the DOS PC, and games like Commander Keen, Wolfenstein 3D and Doom all broke shareware sales records upon their releases. Commander Keen was the first real Mario like 2D platformer for the DOS PC, it was making Apogee and ID Software up to $60,000us dollars a month, which was unprecedented for a shareware game in 1990, everyone I knew who owned an IBM PC had Commander Keen shareware or the full game on disk. Before Commander Keen, Apogee was making about $7,000USD per month on their best selling games. Wolfenstein 3D shattered those shareware sales records by a wide margin, and Doom was unstoppable.

Definitely, despite not inventing the model, id's games certainly helped popularize shareware, and are a big reason why people still talk about it.

I'm looking forward to hearing more details about Switch Doom. If id can get it running at 60fps... Man, it'll sell like crazy (probably will do really well regardless).

I think most would be accepting of some visual trade offs in favor of fast performance. Having a arcade-action game like Doom available on the go would be sublime.

I am just concerned about battery life on such graphically advanced games. BOTW is currently the most battery sapping game (in my library) and I wonder if Doom will top it.

The Switch runs at one of two discrete power modes when undocked, so I don't think there would really be much of a difference in battery life between two games running in the boost mode (presumably). It should be about the same as Zelda, 3ish hours.

Josh5890

I'd be interested to learn more about this if you'd like to lecture on it for a bit, doctor

I only recently became interested in the series with the 2016 title. It was just something I admired from afar before then.

I did pick up the collection of the originals, though. Good stuff!

Try this

ricelord

nice boxart for the switch version :eek:

21728119_1924911894192151_7255702058201615713_n.png

DOOM |OT| SWITCH AND PLAY UNTIL IT IS DONE.

KSweeley

Well, it actually happened!!!

I've been telling my friends ever since Skyrim was confirmed for the Nintendo Switch that I was expecting to see other Bethesda games to be announced for the Switch, specifically idTech games since the latest idTech engine supports the Vulkan API and it was confirmed that the NVIDIA Tegra chip in the Switch supports the Vulkan API.

Now we can all see how well the latest idTech engine runs using the Vulkan API on the Switch this year since DOOM (2016) is confirmed for a Holiday 2017 release.

It's really awesome that Nintendo and Bethesda managed to get both DOOM (2016) and Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus on the Switch.

I already have DOOM (2016) on my PC and have Wolfenstein II pre-ordered for PC but I am going to buy a Nintendo Switch once I can finally find one and buy it and get both DOOM (2016) and Wolfenstein II for the Switch, playing modern games on the go, fuck yes!!!!

I am hoping to see amiibos of Doomguy and of B.J.

Awesome, awesome game that too many still don't know is a brand new Doom game instead of just a port like the name may imply.
More horror-based and puzzle oriented compared to Doom.

You know what has just occurred to me could be a real possibility now?

This could lead to the hoped for N64 Mini next year having Doom 64 on it. Complete fantasy right now, but suddenly at least possible!

King_Moc

Banned

This could lead to the hoped for N64 Mini next year having Doom 64 on it. Complete fantasy right now, but suddenly at least possible!

This was my hope too. I replayed a bunch of old N64 games briefly a few weeks back and this really really holds up. It's as smooth as butter - very unusual for an N64 game.

Best console Doom if we don't factor in Doom 2016

As much as I liked the new Doom, I think Doom 64 and the original are still better.

Raide

Waiting to see some solid gameplay footage but for Switch owners, DOOM and Wolfenstein fill a fps void that is on the system. They seriously need to think about porting DOOM 1&2 as well! Portable nature of the system could be like a rebirth of the LAN days.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Best console Doom if we don't factor in Doom 2016

As much as I liked the new Doom, I think Doom 64 and the original are still better.

Final Doom on the PS1 was great too. I spent so much time on that game.

Come to think of it, I wonder how much Doom 64 and Final Doom, arguably the two more horror-oriented entries in the series, influenced the development of Doom 3.

To me, Doom has always had two facets: the unbridled action and gore on the one hand, and the fear factor of hearing monster roam about or finding a room full of demons all of a sudden on the other. In a way, Doom was the original video game jump scare for me. And there seemed to be this misconception at id that the horror part of Doom was the main appeal of the games back when they made Doom 3. But it wasn't enough. Bethesda's Doom goes the other way: action and gore. Of the two directions, the latter is absolutely closer to the quintessence of Doom if you ask me, which is why Doom 4 is much more successful than Doom 3. Again, I say this despite being a fan of Final Doom.

Doom 4 amped up the 'metal' to 11, which is great if that's your thing. But whenever they make Doom 5, I'd like them to go somewhere in the middle: keep the action as frantic and satisfying as in Doom 4, but give the game ever so slightly more horror and dread, like Final Doom and Doom 64. Not necessarily through monster design or anything - and especially not through narration/storytelling, keep that shit away from Doom -, but in terms of atmosphere and maybe music.

v1oz

It's not quite the same thing, but I love that Doom keeps up the tradition of being ported to every hardware imaginable.

One of my favorite subjects in games is the myriad ports and versions of the original Doom, and how every platform's version looks, sounds, plays, and feels very unique compared to the others.
Even the Quake series had good console ports

Quake 2 was really good on N64. And Quake 3 was good on Dreamcast.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
nice boxart for the switch version :eek:

21728119_1924911894192151_7255702058201615713_n.png

This is the extra cover GameStop was giving away for the other platforms during a promo. Its nicer then the standard cover.

Definitely possible. I owned it back in the N64 days, but we were all so smitten with Turok and polygons that it didn't get the love it deserved, or the recognition that it was the far better fps on N64.

I got a black GBA with Doom for Christmas 2002. It was seriously the best Christmas ever. Absolutely blew my mind to play portable Doom.

It wasn't a terrible port, though I had forgotten just how many levels they had to cut to get it running. Weird as the later Doom II port had every level including Icon of Sin (which even the PS1 port cut).

Getting this for Christmas on Switch 15 years later will be poetic justice.

King_Moc

Banned
I got a black GBA with Doom for Christmas 2002. It was seriously the best Christmas ever. Absolutely blew my mind to play portable Doom.

Getting this for Christmas on Switch 14 years later will be poetic justice.

Amazing that it took that one 9 years to go portable, and it's taken this one 1 year.

Chitown B

I won't get these on Switch but I think it's really cool it's an option. Sure they won't be perfect graphics but on the go Wolfenstein is awesome.

Plum

Might as well create separate OT's for Skyrim VR and Switch port then.

Does make sense, they're two entirely different full-priced versions of the game. They'll also be new experiences either to Nintendo fans who haven't played it before or PSVR users in general. I'm doing the L.A. Noire re-release OT and, since that game's VR version is a small side-game, it likely won't be getting its own OT, but I'd say Skyrim deserves it.

Wasn't it mentioned that the API was Vulkan based?
It uses NVN developed by Nvidia. Not sure if it's based on Vulkan or not. The Switch supports Vulkan and OpenGL 5.0 as well as NVN, though.

My question was whether iD switched to NVN or stayed strictly with Vulkan for the port.

Might as well create separate OT's for Skyrim VR and Switch port then.
Well... Yes. That would be appropriate.

One's handheld, the other is VR. They are both different from the originals.

The Enhanced Edition got an OT, right?

Or should we all still be using the Xbox360/PS3 OT?

Has any Doom boxart surpass the 1993 original in awesomeness and detail since?

This one is nice but clearly inferior.

That artwork was only made because people complained about the doom marine artwork used for the original launch, I thik they made it a reversable cover instead of changing it so late before release.

Glad that they are using it for the switch box.

Plum

For late ports? Sure. Just like LA Noire will probably have one, just not Switch specific since it's a late port to more platforms.

Yeah, LA Noire is getting another OT but, as I said above, all versions will be covered including the Vive one. DOOM Switch is getting one as well. If you're curious the |OT| |OT| thread can tell you if someone's making an OT for a game or not.

I know basically nothing about the new Wolfenstein games, so does anyone know if the story for 2 will follow from TNO? I'm not sure it's worth picking up on PC but I could at least watch a quick playthrough if the story will be important for the new one.

I feel like DOOM overshadowed Wolfenstein, not many people talking about that (understandably though).

I know basically nothing about the new Wolfenstein games, so does anyone know if the story for 2 will follow from TNO? I'm not sure it's worth picking up on PC but I could at least watch a quick playthrough if the story will be important for the new one.

I feel like DOOM overshadowed Wolfenstein, not many people talking about that (understandably though).

Yes, it does. It's a sequel that explicitly picks up in the weeks after TNO. Short version: Nazis use
ancient Jewish
super science to win WW2. Blaskowicz wakes up from a decade long coma and decides to go Nazi killing.

Top Bottom