• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM (Holiday 2017) and Wolfenstein II (2018) Announced for Nintendo Switch

Can we finally agree that Nintendo is Doomed?

Results are only viewable after voting.

japtor

controlled info blast, you get a concentrated discussion surge around your game. you get to control when the info is out so if anything changes, you can plan accordingly.

just look at the mario preview thread. this wouldn't exist without a specific embargo date.
I imagine it also helps logistically in terms of organizing all the previews if you want that single surge of output. Instead of needing to setup some singular big ass event or multiple simultaneous ones, you can organize smaller preview events/invites up until the embargo date.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I am not sure if DOOM fans can be trusted with objectivity on this, seems like a lot of people love this game way too much.

I wonder if most of them even care about the frame rates that GAF is obsessed about

That's like saying I wonder of CoD fans care about frame rate.

Of course they do! Doom plays as good as it does because of the frame rate, not in spite of it.

Playsage

In italian, but I'll translate the statement you were waiting for

multiplayer.it/articoli/188805-doom-doom-su-switch-scorre-come-il-sangue-di-demone.html

"DOOM on Switch runs at a stable 60 fps framerate, without any slowdown, and plays perfectly."

Other informations:
- The game appeared to be fully playable and close to its final state
- Notable sacrificies on grafics were blurrier textures, details and lighting.
- Controls felt good and responsive
-probably a visual glitch, but highlighted enemies (glory kill mechanics) made so that nearby enemies got covered in a white "aura"

Rubixcuba

Banned
DOOM on Switch travels at 60 FPS stable, without any jumble, and lets you play perfectly...

DOOM on Switch is nothing more than bad to see, but even on the small screen of the tablet you notice grainy textures and a general decline in detail.

Taken from the Italian article everyone is linking above, Goggle translate used.

knkng

Ok, this seems to confirm 60fps, but we have to ask ourselves, "Can we really trust the Italians???"

Hype as fuck. Day 1 sale!

On framerate and graphical quality (google translated, so authentic translation is needed):

That said, the title seemed to be pretty full, with the main campaign being in full and a gameplay almost identical to that seen on other platforms. In particular, it is necessary to specify the main jumper feature during the test: DOOM on Switch travels at 60 FPS stable, without any jumble, and lets you play perfectly. We had no problem wandering at the UAC station in Marte by massacring demonic monstrosity, and we were fully satisfied with command responsiveness.

However, the situation of the graphic sector differs, but to maintain such fluidity if it is to be seen with heavy modifications by developers. Be clear, DOOM on Switch is nothing more than bad to see, but even on the small screen of the tablet you notice grainy textures and a general decline in detail. Id Tech is an incredibly scalable engine, which in this case also behaved well (not to mention that Bethesda seems to have some practice with the architecture of the Nintendo console), but it is clear how heavy sacrifices have been made on lighting and general detail. We, however, fully support the choices made in development. In this title, the fluidity of action is crucial, and sacrificing it for a pinch of extra graphic detail would have been a gross mistake.

OCD Guy

I'll take grainy textures for 60FPS -nods

Yup.

Just hoping there's not been any reduction in the amount of enemies.

If it is the exact same game at lower graphical settings then I'm hyped as fuck as I only play portable anyway.

Obviously the game will likely be pointless for anyone playing docked if they own another console....

Celine

Do NOT worry guys.

I have the article here for you :)

(I'm serious - not doing one of them bullshit jokes)

CLICK ME NOW

Just wish I could read Italian....
- could only test Doom for Switch in undocked mode for a few minutes.
- gameplay and level design seems identical to the other versions.
- stable 60fps without dips.
- good graphics for Switch but notably scaled back (lower texture resolution, lower level of detail)

japtor

Only showing it off in handheld mode, wonder if that's the case for all the previews. Anyway the little summary blurb at the bottom:
Even on Switch, DOOM is an overwhelming, fun, and, most importantly, damn fluid. The id Software frenzy has not diminished on the hybrid console of Nintendo and although it was clearly made of sacrifices from a graphical point of view, the port seemed more than worthwhile during our short London test. We will see if the full version will improve further.
Native translation of all this stuff will be nice. As opposed to "evil sacrifices from a graphic point of view" in the "doubts" column.

Ok framerate is done.

Next is resolution ;)

If this is 720p60 in portable and 900p60 in docked mode I'll buy 4 copies. One for me and 3 for my friends. Just to support Bethesda.

Zedark

Not sure if it was mentioned but does anyone know the size of this game?
No. We do know that multiplayer will be a separate download, while single player will be on thr cart, but no additional info, unfortunately.
Ok framerate is done.

Next is resolution ;)

If this is 720p60 in portable and 900p60 in docked mode I'll buy 4 copies. One for me and 3 for my friends. Just to support Bethesda.
The article mentions that you can see graininess on the Switch screen, so I would think 720p docked and 480p-540p undocked.

OCD Guy

No. We do know that multiplayer will be a separate download, while single player will be on thr cart, but no additional info, unfortunately.

Ah that's a shame. I'm all digital but have resorted to using only internal storage (due to faster loading times) and I'm hoping there's enough space to fit the game on, even if it means deleting all my games.

The seperate download you mention is with physical right, because it's not on the cart? I assume digital will be downloading everything.

m00h

Banned
Awww yes, day one for me then. I have the game on the PC, but I only spent like 2 hours on it, because of busy schedule lately. Will be a joy to play DOOM through on the Switch.

PantsuJo

As an italian, I must warning you all about "multiplayer.it" source: for me it's shit and it always be shit.
It's like the IGN of my country.

On topic: 60 fps with huge downgrade was expected. And it's a good decision: framerate is a priority.

Zedark

Ah that's a shame. I'm all digital but have resorted to using only internal storage (due to faster loading times) and I'm hoping there's enough space to fit the game on, even if it means deleting all my games.

The seperate download you mention is with physical right, because it's not on the cart? I assume digital will be downloading everything.
Yeah, it's exactly that. You will download the full cart size plus multiplayer size when you go digital. Depending on the cart used, it could be over 32 GB or over 16 GB, so internal storage will fill up fast.

As an italian, I must warning you all about "multiplayer.it" source: for me it's shit and it always be shit.
It's like the IGN of my country.

On topic: 60 fps with huge downgrade was expected. And it's a good decision: framerate is a priority.

From what I gather no one has actually been told the frame rate so we'll probably get some mixed reports. Let's see how many people can actually tell the difference between 30 and 60 :p

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
DOOM su Switch viaggia a 60 FPS stabili, senza alcuno sbalzo

source.gif

OCD Guy

Yeah, it's exactly that. You will download the full cart size plus multiplayer size when you go digital. Depending on the cart used, it could be over 32 GB or over 16 GB, so internal storage will fill up fast.

Thanks.

Well hopefully once the embargo ends the size of the game will be mentioned.

Man I wish there was a premium Switch with 256gb and oled screen lol...

From what I gather no one has actually been told the frame rate so we'll probably get some mixed reports. Let's see how many people can actually tell the difference between 30 and 60 :p

Digital Foundry will be the most reliable (unless there's an official statement once embargo ends), so let's hope they put something out.

Top Bottom