• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM on Switch confirmed to have motion controls [Up: Waggle, not gyro]

nampad

See, this is what's confusing me:

G6MyNYo.jpg

There was no option for motion controls in the build last month. Is that only because they were using the pro controller? Even though the pro controller has motion sensors?

djlr181

There was no option for motion controls in the build last month. Is that only because they were using the pro controller? Even though the pro controller has motion sensors?

When playing with the Pro controller the option doesn't seem to come up.. If you switch to JoyCons, I can 100 percent confirm the option was there in the build last month. Makes sense if it's only to be used when playing with JoyCons detached.

When playing with the Pro controller the option doesn't seem to come up.. If you switch to JoyCons, I can 100 percent confirm the option was there in the build last month. Makes sense if it's only to be used when playing with JoyCons detached.

That's an enormous let down then. Sorry for getting everyone's hopes up, feel free to lock this mods (even though I don't believe motion controls were common knowledge previously, but waggle for glory kills is basically a non-story).

I was going to suggest that perhaps the motions required split joy-cons, Odyssey/ARMS style, but your picture in the OP was of handheld mode, arguably more restricted than the Pro Controller motion wise due to the nature of holding the screen. Perhaps someone can comment on what the gestures in the previous build were? Would they be possible to perform in handheld mode?

EDIT:

But the Joy-Cons aren't detached in Skittzo's pic. Perhaps there's still hope? What was the gesture, specifically? If it's something unnatural to do in handheld mode I'll send em a tweet, maybe they'll clarify.

Metalmarc

Can we update the OP title mods to say it does not again

All i got from OP was it doesnt, does, doesnt again

Also the video link is removed

The title is technically correct as-is, though not anything new. Adding that it's not necessarily gyro-aiming might be a good idea.

I added another update to the top of the OP, title is still correct.

Also the video link was taken down but I put a screen grab of the relevant portion in the OP.

OCD Guy

And if we needed anymore confirmation, the original video in the OP which was taken down, was from Nintendo World Report, well they've now posted this:

An update on what exactly the "motion controls" option does

CLICK ME

bounchfx

If they actually had motion for aiming like botw or Splatoon this would be an easy double dip for me. Might need to be a sale now, especially for the ridiculous price

DataBased

Welp that sucks! But wan't there already a thread about this port running terribly? Did I miss some information about it being improved?

I assumed the worst given the fact gyro aiming was never expressly mentioned. Doom on switch sounded so cool but it's ultimatly a worthless port without a decent control setup. I'm still hungry for an FPS on the system.

MDave

They need to patch in gyro assisted aim afterwards at the very least. It would take about a few days to add that in. Most of that time would probably be spent working on updating the digital manual and the UI graphics and UI code then the actual code for gyro aiming itself.

Ah well, will see how well Bethesda supports this post launch.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Everything in Salmon run moves really slowly and that's a gamemode about resource management but mostly idiotic personnel management. And a tutorial mode to teach you to try other weapons.

Gyro aiming does work fantastically in multiplayer deathmatch modes in the rest of Splatoon's online though, which might more closely resemble the kind of experience you'll have in DOOM

Why would analogues sticks be adequate when gyro assisted aiming is faster and more precise?

Can people tweet to Bethesda and id to add gyro? I need it.....

Feffe

I can't get used to dual analog aiming, so no buy from me. I hope in the future thirdy party will embrace gyro aiming.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
This game may be the best fps I've played this gen. It's close with Titanfall 2. I think this is extremely worthy of owning on Switch, and should be a strong indicator that AAA third party games can absolutely thrive and find tremendous success on the console.

Wasn't a huge fan of motion aiming on BotW, but it seems like it's a beloved feature, and I'll be sure to give it another chance. I guess if it's this popular, it will become a standard in shooters, and something only Switch can offer...

In any case, I'm stoked DOOM is coming to switch, and Wolfenstein II. Hopefully full gyro aim gets patched in.

Btw, it has HD Rumble.

I'm still pist that fifa 18 don't has this included.

For a shooter, I’d rather have the heavy kick of the DS4 rumble instead of the buzzing of HD rumble. No matter how accurate HD rumble may be.
Playing destiny 2 on the PS4 made me realize this. The kick from something like the MIDA Multitool is something I can’t see the joycon or pro controller replicate

No aiming is dumb, analog sticks are bad for that. They need to patch this fast

Tbh waggle for melee is still more fun/satisfying than simply pressing a button. I still shake my controller every time I jump in Mario Kart. If your arms get tired go exercise more

Wasn't a huge fan of motion aiming on BotW, but it seems like it's a beloved feature, and I'll be sure to give it another chance. I guess if it's this popular, it will become a standard in shooters, and something only Switch can offer...

Dualshock 4 also has a gyro in it but nobody is doing motion aiming on PS4 anyway.

ZeroX03

Banned
Gyro aiming improves first person aiming drastically for me. More accurate and more fun. If they patch it in, I'd be more inclined to buy this at a higher price instead of waiting for $20 on Switch or just grabbing it for next to nothing on PS4/PC.

Trup1aya

Such a missed opportunity. They one area where this version could have a leg up on the other consoles, and they don't utilize it.

Why don't any PS4 titles utilize gyro controls in the way splatoon does it? Atleast as an option? It's objectively more precise that dual analog.

Top Bottom