• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM on Switch confirmed to have motion controls [Up: Waggle, not gyro]

Also, you don't necessarily 'point at the screen' for IR either, it remains just as relative and configurable as a mouse for this reason - you are actually just pointing at two IR reference points, not the screen. As such it can be calibrated so that very small movements of the pointer mean big movements on screen, just like a mouse. The only difference is you can also change pointer sensitivity by changing distance from the screen/bar as well.

I was actually just editing that point into my own post because it helps to clarify some things - particularly, that IR aiming on Wii is relative. Joystick aim in FPS games is considered relative because your camera control is determined by the movement of your joystick from a neutral position and the translation of your stick's positional values into movement - IR aim on Wii is considered relative because your camera control is determined by the movement of your cursor outside of a neutral 'bounding box' and the translation of your cursor's onscreen positional values into movement - mouselook and gyro assist are considered absolute because they're direct translations of your movement and there is no 'neutral point'. That's why I consider gyro assist to be much more analogous to mouselook than IR is, even despite cursor control, in its own way, enabling design opportunities somewhat analogous to how a mouse cursor is used in some genres of PC games (like with point and click style games).

D.Lo

I was actually just editing that point into my own post because it helps to clarify some things - particularly, that IR aiming on Wii is relative. Joystick aim in FPS games is considered relative because your camera control is determined by the movement of your joystick from a neutral position and the translation of your stick's positional values into movement - IR aim on Wii is considered relative because your camera control is determined by the movement of your cursor outside of a neutral 'bounding box' and the translation of your cursor's onscreen positional values into movement - mouselook and gyro assist are considered absolute because they're direct translations of your movement and there is no 'neutral point'. Gyro works the same way as mouselook does.
Once again, application, not tech.

If you make the bounding box zero, bam, IR fits your definition of 'absolute'.

Once again, application, not tech.

If you make the bounding box zero, bam, IR fits your definition of 'absolute'.

No. If you make the bounding box zero, your aiming system is still relative, because your camera turn speed is still determined by your cursor's proximity to the center of the screen and not by raw motion translated directly into movement.

The distinction you wish to make me recognize is somewhat irrelevant in my eye. Regardless of whether or not the potential for absolute aiming is there, there's never been a Wii FPS that delivered that through an IR control scheme (I'm not saying that's some awful thing, as someone who played and enjoyed quite a few Wii shooters himself). The control schemes which posters here would describe as being superior to damn near everything under the sun can't be redefined by hypotheticals.
Gyro assist being raw motion translated 1:1 into on-screen movement is by definition more precise and accurate than IR aiming or any other non-absolute control method, although their use cases differ so greatly that it's hard to make a 1:1 comparison, I suppose.
IR camera control as implemented on Wii would always be relative, that's just how the tech is. I don't see any way to make IR camera control in 3D games absolute. You'd literally need a gyroscope to do that.

D.Lo

No. If you make the bounding box zero, your aiming system is still relative, because your camera turn speed is still determined by your cursor's proximity to the center of the screen and not by raw motion translated directly into movement.
Fair call on that my example was flawed, based on the games released that is how it works, but it is still application, not tech. It could still be applied in an 'absolute' way, so a cursor movement left turns you left then stops once you stop moving, the only concern would be running out of room, aka turning left too many times and you're out of IR range. But that is also true of a mouse, but you can pick it up and move it back to the centre of the surface you're using. Back years ago with a ball mouse in Quake we could flick the mouse to keep the ball moving while re-centring too.

This issue could be fixed with IR with a pause look/re-centre button that allows you to move the pointer back to the IR zone without turning right. Which is of course exactly what Splatoon achieves for gyro with the re-centre button.

Fair call on that my example was flawed, based on the games released that is how it works, but it is still application, not tech. It could still be applied in an 'absolute' way, so a cursor movement left turns you left then stops once you stop moving, the only concern would be running out of room, aka turning left too many times and you're out of IR range. But that is also true of a mouse, but you can pick it up and move it back to the centre of the surface you're using. Back years ago with a ball mouse in Quake we could flick the mouse to keep the ball moving while re-centring too.

This issue could be fixed with IR with a pause look/re-centre button that allows you to move the pointer back to the IR zone without turning right. Which is of course exactly what Splatoon achieves for gyro with the re-centre button.

You've got a point. It's just that the Wii's sensor bar is a small device. It's not like with, say, Vive and Lighthouse, where you're surrounded with IR blasters feeding your device with data to interpret as positional information. Absolute would be less feasible with an open-air device like the Wii Remote, which has to operate within a smaller area, an area which the device interprets as being the location of your screen, the only area the Wii Remote's IR sensor is there to care about. Even with a mouse, you can quickly lift it into the air and put it back on your mousepad - the friction notifying you to the fact that your motions will begin to be registered as on-screen movement again. Say you attempted an absolute aiming system on the Wii, given it's limitations - you would have to put up with a very high camera movement speed (without the stabilization benefit that friction against a mousepad brings) to make full turns in one gesture within the range of motion that its IR implementation allows for, or choose to rely more heavily on a very much still necessary 'lift-off-the-mousepad' button to shunt your aim back and forth. Something that would take quite a bit of practice to get used to with IR control on an untethered device, I'd think.

Splatoon/S2's implementation of a recenter button works because Switch controllers use gyro. The presence of a second analog stick is also very important, but with gyro, your range of motion is much more vast and not at all subject to failure. And it's still your motions being translated 1:1 into on-screen movement naturally, as opposed to the more rudimentary solution for quickly determining exact rotation and movement speed found on the Wii, that being IR utilized in tandem with far less accurate accelerometers. Those are the same reasons why game design concepts on the Wii which required players to hold the Wii Remote in such a way that it wouldn't generally be looking at the sensor bar were best achieved with Wii Motion Plus.

rjc571

Banned
As anyone tried gyro controls in a 30fps game? Made they internally tested it and found out it played bad with twice the input lag compared to 60fps. I imagine gyro like mouselook is very sensitive to input lag

Gravity Rush had fantastic gyro controls on Vita despite running at 30 fps

Even if it was 'waggle' controls, Wii version of RE4 is still my favourite (along with the Metroid Prime trilogy controls on Wii).

I imagine this version of DOOM will be the same. Can't wait.

I hope most shooters try to do the same.

Top Bottom