• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM on Switch will have full campaign on cartridge, multiplayer as optional download

Syf

Banned
Good choice. I actually liked the MP but the option is nice for those many people who have zero interest.

Darmik

It says it doesn't have the SnapMap level editor but I wonder if you can still download SnapMap content/levels to play. I hope so. I'm not sure how that works on the other platforms though.

Wamb0wneD

Mixed feelings on this. It should ALL be on the cartridge. Nintendo needs to lower the prices of these things. Make it break even. Stop trying to double dip on profits.

Could you elaborate? Almost everyone who owns the game would like to have the option to not have to download the MP part.
Who the hell is saying they make a profit off the cartridges? They aren't producing them themselves you know.
How someone can go into a thread with that topic and make a Nintendo bashing post is baffling. Some creativity at work for sure.

I want this option on PC. I'd keep Doom installed if not for its huge size.

As a Switch owner who never plans to buy digital, I understand the frustration with this increasingly becoming a trend.

scitek

Cool, now do this for pc.

EDIT: LMAO at the number of people saying this.

OT, this is a good way to go about it, at least for this game.

Wasn't this how the Master Chief Collection was at launch?

All the campaigns were on disc but you needed to download the multiplayer?

fenners

The multiplayer is better than you might think. Devs gave it a ton of support, ton of modes & content. Core loop is fun.

Sealtest

Anything about a price yet? This would be my first time playing the new Doom but I'd rather not pay $79.99 CDN for it.

I wish it was reversed. If I choose to download it I would prefer to download only the campaign unless I choose to also download multiplayer. If I have the cartridge I would expect everything to be on it.
15 years from now, the multiplayer servers will be down and you'd have a useless cart.

This is really the best way to handle it.

HeySeuss

DOOM 2016 but portable and with an optional multiplayer installment? Did... did the Switch just get the definitive version of DOOM?

We'll have to see what kinds of corners had to be cut graphically or fps wise, but it does seem to look that way if it's a competent port. Bethesda must have really taken a liking to the Switch after porting Skyrim. I wonder if it's a more capable system then we realized.

JoeLT

I think it’s worth pointing out that it doesn’t seem to say that the multiplayer update is optional. It could very well be when you put in the cart it prompts you to update with the multiplayer content, like a day one patch. How else will they do this? Multiplayer be free DLC you can only download if you have a physical copy? Just thinking on how this would technically work.

Plum

Best way to handle it tbh. Whilst I'll be buying physical (mostly because I plan to sell it once I've replayed the campaign), it would be nice for those who go digital to have the option as well. Can't really complain though, it could be a lot worse.

0e3.png

I think it’s worth pointing out that it doesn’t seem to say that the multiplayer update is optional. It could very well be when you put in the cart it prompts you to update with the multiplayer content, like a day one patch. How else will they do this? Multiplayer be free DLC you can only download if you have a physical copy? Just thinking on how this would technically work.
Maybe a prompt in game? Idk but doesn't the basketball game allow you to forgo downloading the rest at the cost of some modes?

Estoc

Why? This isn't optional for digital users either on switch and discs on ps4/xb1 have enough space to keep the whole thing?
Can't speak for everyone, but as a PC gamer, who bought the game solely for the solo campaign, I absolutely wouldn't mind the multiplayer being optional DLC so it would save me some space.

Top Bottom