• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM on Switch will have full campaign on cartridge, multiplayer as optional download

I hope the multiplayer download is not forced/bundled with normal game patches/bug fixes. Don't care for multiplayer but would want to keep game up to date

Steroyd

Would be nice if they patched that feature in my PS4 copy, 80GB just to play the SP in a FPS is atrocious, and it was the thing that stopped me from bothering to 100% the game because I wanted to free up space.

Huh. Guess they were able to fit it all in a cartridge after all. I wish they would do something these 50+ gigs over on the other consoles...

Servbot24

Banned
I just think it's funny they're going to be selling a cart with only the single-player on it but people will still be paying for the multi-player portion they don't want anyways.

That's what people did with multiplayer on the PS4 disc as well.

To people who don't want multiplayer this is non-news. People who want it experience a minor inconvenience.

The multiplayer is better than you might think. Devs gave it a ton of support, ton of modes & content. Core loop is fun.

Sure but since the mp will die once the servers do, it really doesn't matter if it's a download.

I'm very thankful the sp was prioritized for the cartridge.

You see Capcom? This is how you do things.

Wonder if that'll be the case with digital too. If the multiplayer is really not that great as people on here are making it out to be, I'd rather just have the campaign in order to not fill up my SD card as much.

Wamb0wneD

I hope this won't automatically start to download the MP part as soon I connect to the internet with the DOOM-cartridge in the system...

Lol, would never imagined people requesting to remove MP from their DOOM copy

The multiplayer beta ahead of Doom 2016's release was practically the nail in the coffin for any hopes I had about the game until the word started spreading about how shockingly good the campaign was.

suaveric

Anything about a price yet? This would be my first time playing the new Doom but I'd rather not pay $79.99 CDN for it.

The game has been pretty cheap for about a year now on other consoles. $30 and even cheaper on sale. I hope they don't try to charge more for the Switch version.

Thank god, I've advocated forever to just give me the single player and just ditch multiplayer as optional. That stuff clogged my harddrive.

All in for cart, baby

I thought the Doom MP was fun. I guess no one likes Unreal Tournament/Quake style MP.

It's not that it's bad really, but it bloats the file size of the game to an insane degree. Like, 30 or 40gb worth of patches for the multiplayer alone. You couldn't even fit a Doom patch by itself on a Switch cart.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I hope this is also the case in the digital version, so you can choose to download whatever you want.

Lol, would never imagined people requesting to remove MP from their DOOM copy
I never tried the MP in any version of Doom. To me they are single player games.

OryoN

Awesome, I'm down!

Lol, this turns out to be "too convenient" for a workaround, seeing other platforms could've benefited from such a move also. I hope other devs/pubs take notice. Zero complaints here, this works!

Red Devil

Huh. Guess they were able to fit it all in a cartridge after all. I wish they would do something these 50+ gigs over on the other consoles...

Consider that includes the multiplayer, also presumably sacrifices had to be made even if it's just singleplayer on the cartridge. I wonder how big the multiplayer download will be though, any information on that?

I wish it was reversed. If I choose to download it I would prefer to download only the campaign unless I choose to also download multiplayer. If I have the cartridge I would expect everything to be on it.
Trust me, you want the thing that requires the servers to be the required download, not the single-player content.

Except, for, you know... the single player portion.

Assuming you have it downloaded and installed when the servers go down.

If you don't, your cartridge is useless.

All signs are pointing to Skyrim being a gigantic holiday release for them.

I hope it sales. I'm nervous that it won't though. If it sales good to great it'll send a signal to every other publisher that there's is a consumer base on the Switch that would buy more then just Nintendo games.

I wonder how much Skyrim, Doom, and Wolfenstein needs to sale for Bethesda to consider it a success.

Top Bottom