• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

Trying to decide between the steam and ps4 version. Which multiplayer community would you say is the strongest?

As a PS4 version owner, if you're picking this up for multiplayer, the Steam version should be a no-brainer. Superior controls and (I assume) matchmaking. As well as the game runs and looks on PS4, I would have bought the PC version if I had a system that would run it.

Drewfonse

Doing a second play through, this time on UV, having just as much fun as when I played it initially.

I'm at the very end of the Foundry level and I had forgotten the fucking spawn fest at the end. Jesus Christ already with those steroid jumping motherfuckers.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
I am LOVING this game.

Playing on Nightmare my first time through and very much enjoying the challenge. I just received my
double-jump
boots and now the movement and combat is even MORE versatile.

This game does an amazing job making you feel like a badass. When you're in the zone and bringing down enemy after enemy with no damage taken and the music crescendos... It's unlike anything else out there. I often find myself smiling like a goddamn idiot. I don't breathe until the damn music ends.

I swear, there are several instances in the game where I just do not understand how I managed to survive. Every time I think, "Okay, THIS is way too many enemies..." I end up overcoming in the most spectacular way making me think, "What the FUCK just happened."

Amazing game.

LtOrange

As a PS4 version owner, if you're picking this up for multiplayer, the Steam version should be a no-brainer. Superior controls and (I assume) matchmaking. As well as the game runs and looks on PS4, I would have bought the PC version if I had a system that would run it.

I was leaning towards PC, but multiplayer populations can be really hit or miss. The PS4 demo controlled well enough that I wouldn't be against going with that version if the populations were vastly different.

I was leaning towards PC, but multiplayer populations can be really hit or miss. The PS4 demo controlled well enough that I wouldn't be against going with that version if the populations were vastly different.

Oh, it definitely controls well; probably the best control and movement in a free aim FPS on console I have ever played.

Picked this up on the $30 dollar sale. I have been loving it. I haven't played a good single player FPS in ages. This one is great. Still on my first playthrough on the default difficulty, and I am having a blast. I have so much on my backlog, but I can already feel myself wanting to play through this again with different weapon mods etc. to see how it changes stuff.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
This game is incredibly fun to play.

A lot of games have frustrating bits in them, or boring sections. Not this game. It's a blast through and through.

Haven't really been following the multiplayer updates, but I know id took the reigns recently and want to know how much they're changing things up.

Have they mentioned anything about classic deathmatch modes? I fucking hate the Demon Rune shit. If they're going to keep that in, they need to nerf the shit out of some of them, or they need to make games last longer so one demon pickup doesn't fuck the whole balance of the match. And of course along with a classic deathmatch mode would come weapon pickups, no loadouts. Loadouts are such a terrible fit for this game...

I'm sure this has been discussed ad nauseum, but I just wanted to vent my frustrations. I hate when a game's multiplayer has so much going for it, then a couple of decisions keep it from becoming what it could have been, what it was meant to be.

Ixion

Haven't really been following the multiplayer updates, but I know Id took the reigns recently and want to know how much they're changing things up.

Have they mentioned anything about classic deathmatch modes? I fucking hate the Demon Rune shit. If they're going to keep that in, they need to nerf the shit out of some of them, or they need to make games last longer so one demon pickup doesn't fuck the whole balance of the match. And of course along with a classic deathmatch mode would come weapon pickups, no loadouts. Loadouts are such a terrible fit for this game...

I'm sure this has been discussed ad nauseum, but I just wanted to vent my frustrations. I hate when a game's multiplayer has so much going for it, then a couple of decisions keep it from becoming what it could have been, what it was meant to be.

id Software said they're going to add three different Free-For-All modes, but there's been no word on what the differences will be.

Manu

We need a deathmatch mode just so that I can see my character customizations.

They give you so many options, only for you to look cyan when playing. Is there a less threatening color than cyan?

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I absolutely love this game but holy fuck are the reload checkpoint times terrible.

I have a GeForce 1070 and an SSD. There is no reason for the loading times to take this long. Any tips for how to improve performance.?

I absolutely love this game but holy fuck are the reload checkpoint times terrible.

I have a GeForce 1070 and an SSD. There is no reason for the loading times to take this long. Any tips for how to improve performance.?

I would imagine that its just the way the engine is designed rather than just your PC. No excuse for the load times on a SSD and some decent amount of ram. And to its credit, the game kind of looks incredibly compared to most games released nowadays. Also Megatextures!

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I would imagine that its just the way the engine is designed rather than just your PC. No excuse for the load times on a SSD and some decent amount of ram. And to its credit, the game kind of looks incredibly compared to most games released nowadays. Also Megatextures!
Yeah the load times are crazy long. I was able to chug a beer in the time between checkpoint reloads

RoKKeR

I think I've encountered a progress-breaking bug in Titan's Realm. I just finished the battle in the room that gives you the Blue Skull, but can't progress any further. I reloaded a checkpoint to retrace my steps, and it turns out that the green portal just outside of the blue-skull room is locked, despite having already completed the battle. (which presumably unlocks it)

Am I fucked? Do I need to restart the mission or is there a way around it? Really sucks if I have to do the whole mission again.

RoKKeR

Just beat the game... incredible. One of the best FPS games I've played in years.

Finished the game on XBO but the complete game achievement didn't pop for me... this happen to anybody else?

I think I've encountered a progress-breaking bug in Titan's Realm. I just finished the battle in the room that gives you the Blue Skull, but can't progress any further. I reloaded a checkpoint to retrace my steps, and it turns out that the green portal just outside of the blue-skull room is locked, despite having already completed the battle. (which presumably unlocks it)

Am I fucked? Do I need to restart the mission or is there a way around it? Really sucks if I have to do the whole mission again.

There might be something else to do, but I haven't memorized every mission or anything.

derFeef

I hate when I can't figure out how to get to a secret, ran around for 30 minutes but did not find the entrance to that one mini statue in Argent Tower. Again. UGH!

Manu

Fuck, I think a glitch just killed my plat run. On Advanced Research Facility one of the challenges is to interact with the two Rune stones. It says 1/2 despite having completed both runes. I hope it still registers for the plat since you can't go back to the runes in-game after you've found them.

EDIT: Selecting the game from the Mission Select menu shows all challenges complete. But it still says "1/2" when looking at the level list.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
The Cyberdemon fight was very Dark Souls-esque, but it was also unfair in some ways.

I had no way of knowing it would be a two part fight as I used all my BFG ammo for the first part of the fight so basically I start the second phase with no BFG ammo and no armor. While avoiding his attacks weren't TOO terribly hard you had little margin for error.

It took me MANY tries, but if there ever was a fight that called for a two checkpoint reload it was that fight.

Way too cheap.

//ARCANUM

So I'm actually finding the multiplayer in this to be halfway decent, but why the hell don't they have the amazing music from the campaign playing during matches? The assets are there. It would make matches so much more fun.

Glad I held off on playing this for a bit because the game runs enormously better on Vulkan than it did when I tried the beta. Game is absolutely excellent too, just reached I am Vega. I've heard bad things about the boss fight, but I really enjoyed the first two.

I do feel, as the game goes on, that I'm caring less and less about collectibles. I've already upgraded my guns to the nth degree, I'm maxed out on Argent energy, and I like the runes I'm using. At this point I'd just like to run around and shoot some shit.

My only complaint is this stupid bug that delays the use of hologram on the PS4 version ><

Sometimes when I try to use it there's a weird delay in the animation(sometimes 5-6 secs) and I can't shoot until it finishes. It's gotten me killed a few times :/

Manu

Anyone else unable to download the latest patch on PS4?

It's been stuck in "Preparing to download (10%)" for a while now.

EDIT: nevermind, it downloaded.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Just beat the game for the first time on Nightmare. Took me about 19 hours, much longer than I anticipated (probably because I died quite a bit on the earlier levels before getting comfortable with the gameplay).

Anyway, fantastic shooter experience all around and I am very glad that I played it. Definitely one of the most engrossing and visceral gameplay experiences I've ever had.

Nothing. Update history just says "Version 1.6: various bug fixes" just like every other update.

Well, for a various bug fixes patch, just encountered one already. Game froze and got booted out unexpectedly while in the middle of a fight (VEGA Central level).

Manu

Well, for a various bug fixes patch, just encountered one already. Game froze and got booted out unexpectedly while in the middle of a fight (VEGA Central level).

I guess we're getting something tomorrow (since updates are usually on Tuesdays) and today was the preload? I dunno. Patch was small though, 150 MB.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
There were patch notes posted on Reddit:

Today, we released a hotfix for DOOM that will resolve some outstanding issues. We recommend closing and reopening the game for the changes to take effect.

Below is a list of all the resolved issues found patch:

SnapMap
Fixed an issue where crashing occurred when performing undo/redo *Fixed an issue where the “Find Open Match” tile only found maps hosted by friends
Fixed an issue with the ‘Keep Inventory on Respawn’ SnapMap setting where players weren’t respawning with full ammo.
Fixed an issue where the game could crash when loading Featured Map “1-4P Ultra DOOM Zombies RPG”
Fixed an issue with the SnapMap AI Path Point where setting speed to ‘Sprint’ stopped AI pathing.”

Multiplayer
Fixed an issue where the MOTD (message of the day) displayed outdated images upon first load
Fixed an issue where crashing occurred when attempting to load an Unto the Evil multiplayer map while the DLC was still installing

Just on the
Argent Facility
and slowdown in the room with
plants growing
which was a bit disappointing as its been rock solid up to this point and then
Argent Facility Tower
where there is quite a bit and very distracting.

I suppose a minor complaint cos its been perfect so far with what appears to me at least, no frames dropped.

Really hope it stops and doesn't get worse as I progress through the game.

Loving it btw and the only reason not completed yet is because I'm doing it with a friend who can only come once a fortnight/month! Gutted! Wish I'd never suggested we'd play it together lol!

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
are people still getting random crash to desktops?

i really want to play this game again but i ended up uninstalling it because of the constant crashing every 5-10 minutes.

Dunkelgrau

Doom 2016 is probably the best shooter I've ever played. The mechanics (arena, exploration ...) are very simple but work perfect. Sound, music, level-design, "rpg"-elements = 9/10.

Top Bottom