• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM Resurrected - To Hell & Back (Noclip/O'Dwyer documentary on Doom 2016)

jacobeid

Banned
+1 Patreon sub from me.

This is some great stuff. Hugo is hilarious, and I wish we could hear him more ha.

Edit: Patron? Is that the right term? lol

I always wonder why the incomplete games can't be used or released in some form.

I.e. - take Doom 4C. Sell it for $3.99? Sell the work/source code to another studio? Dump it as an unlockable in a special edition?

Shame to see all of those man hours go to waste.

I do agree with those saying that Doom 4 1.0 should be spun off as it's own IP seperate from Doom. It looked maybe a tad too much like Rage, but with a new direction that concept could work amazingly well. Slap a new name on it and alter the story and created a bit - awesome new 'id' IP.
Doom 4 1.0 reminded me of Quake 3/Quake wars in that you're part of a squad defending earth and fighting against non-humans.

Also +1 on the Hugo love. I couldn't stop laughing. His energy is so contagious.

Man adding subtitles to this is really time consuming, I didn't expect it to be so much work I'm only halfway. But I'll do it anyway to support Danny's work. Keep it up.

Man adding subtitles to this is really time consuming, I didn't expect it to be so much work I'm only halfway. But I'll do it anyway to support Danny's work. Keep it up.

Did Danny solicit free translation work or did you volunteer without being prompted?

I hope Danny isn't actively pursuing people to translate his videos for free...

Did Danny solicit free translation work or did you volunteer without being prompted?

I hope Danny isn't actively pursuing people to translate his videos for free...

Not that I know of, I don't have any contact with him, but there is an add subtitles button right there on the video.

oh, thats nice of you. Hopefully they thank you. Maybe one day pay you.

I just really appreciate the work he is doing, only expecting him to keep doing it, nothing more.

Yep, I was somehow under the persuasion that id lucked into this. I was so wrong. Nobody lucks into something as good as Doom 2016. These people know what made DOOM good as much as anybody, and they completely fucking nailed everything. It's the best shooter campaign since HL2 easily, and I prefer it over that game. There is nothing that gets my heart beating like id's hyper-fast, no bullshit arena shooters. As long as the people I've seen in this video series are around for id's next project, I feel as confident in them as a studio as much as I do CD Projekt, Blizzard, or Rockstar.

This series has me juiced up to go back for another playthrough on the one-life nightmare mode, which I will never be able to beat.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Great documentary so far! And Hugo is killin' it!

Gattsu25

Banned
Episode 1 was really well produced and informative.

Episode 2 is fucking hilarious, <3 Hugo, and super informative as well. It shows just how much they considered every small detail. Just how well implemented all of their subtle touches were.

This series is amazing. DOOM is amazing. I love this shit.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I mean, the game ends with a clear set up for either a sequel or single player DLC.

My guess is that Doom16 will follow in the footsteps of Wolf14: a fast-tracked standalone expansion next year and then a sequel two or three years later.

Gattsu25

Banned
I'm watching the second episode again and Hugo literally touches on every single one of my favorite moments in that starter level. My favorite moment is probably a tie between the music synchronized cocking of the shotgun or the synchronized look down at the corpse on the elevator ride (leaning toward this one).

Sephzilla

He said RoboCop was a huge influence in making DoomGuy seem badass to the audience

giphy.gif

Instro

I don't want to watch this as I have yet to actually play the game, but do the videos get into the versions of Doom 4 that got canned over the years?

I always wonder why the incomplete games can't be used or released in some form.

I.e. - take Doom 4C. Sell it for $3.99? Sell the work/source code to another studio? Dump it as an unlockable in a special edition?

Shame to see all of those man hours go to waste.
It wasn't a waste so long as it contributed to them creating DOOM 2016.

This has been awesome so far, but I'm SHOCKED they didn't bring up the "rip and tear" gag in the discussion of the introduction's humor.

I dunno this felt like a hype/marketing piece more than a documentary/journalistic effort.

Game is already out for 7 months, is a GotY contender, sold a couple millions of copies. You won't see marketing pieces going into a game's failed prototypes and the developer's personal/insider jokes.

zoukka

Game is already out for 7 months, is a GotY contender, sold a couple millions of copies. You won't see marketing pieces going into a game's failed prototypes and the developer's personal/insider jokes.

Umm I think you got it the wrong way around. Showing failed prototypes and revealing the angle of writing can be risky before the launch, not after the game is a success.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Really interesting! I still have to play Doom, and this documentary just got me more excited.

Also add me to the Hugo handshake list. That guy is great fun to listen to.

I think people oversell the self aware aspects of Doom a little, outside of the introduction the narrative is pretty dry and straightforward.

Yeah my guess is that 90% of players missed most of what they were talking about in the video.

A good chunk of the video was about the codex entries, something I've never heard anyone talk about.

It does seem like their epiphany to make the game more self aware came late in the cycle, if they make a sequel hopefully they'll have time to flesh those ideas out a bit more.

Gowans

There are fab, could easily be on tele.

Great to see clear and frank deep dives with devs.

Can't wait for part 3.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
Hugo is amazing so happy he is not working at Naughty dog wasting his talent he is the perfect man to lead DOOM, Quake (hope he is working on this..), and other new IP for ID.

Doom was robbed at the video game awards or whatever shit they call 'em. I guess the check Jeff asks for GOTY BS is too large or is it him wanking off any sponsor that hops on that show to take away any credibility.

red731

I want to noclip through everything. This is so well done and bruh, Hugo, you are the man
KuGsj.gif

Thumbs up Danny and team.

I love these videos so much. Doom 2016 is my personal goty. So damn good. Hope the next game focuses less on arena scenarios and mixes in a bit more classic Doom level design with monsters around every corner.

Yeah my guess is that 90% of players missed most of what they were talking about in the video.

True but thats kinda why they did what they did. They realised most people just wanna kill Demons so lets focus on that. Then the self aware humour is for the old fans who will pay more attention. Its a really good idea as it allowed them to focus on the most important thing, the amazing gameplay.

Sephzilla

I also want to jump on the Hugo bandwagon. The dude fucking gets it when it comes to this.

The stuff like the list of people who sacrificed themselves is stuff I missed. But I totally picked up on a lot of the other self-aware shit like;

"It was worth it" *As DoomGuy sees a corpse next to him*

"Demonic Invasion in Progress"

"Demonic presence at unsafe levels" - Implying that there's apparently a safe level of demonic presence

Hugo is amazing so happy he is not working at Naughty dog wasting his talent he is the perfect man to lead DOOM, Quake (hope he is working on this..), and other new IP for ID.

Doom was robbed at the video game awards or whatever shit they call 'em. I guess the check Jeff asks for GOTY BS is too large or is it him wanking off any sponsor that hops on that show to take away any credibility.

Quake is a multiplayer only game so I doubt he's on it and TGS is voted by fans, not paid votes.

Manu

My favorite was probably "talk to your HR representative if you're interested on becoming a human sacrifice!"

I also want to jump on the Hugo bandwagon. The dude fucking gets it when it comes to this.

The stuff like the list of people who sacrificed themselves is stuff I missed. But I totally picked up on a lot of the other self-aware shit like;

"It was worth it" *As DoomGuy sees a corpse next to him*

"Demonic Invasion in Progress"

"Demonic presence at unsafe levels" - Implying that there's apparently a safe level of demonic presence

Yeah, the part that I loved is how well they timed the "Demonic Invasion in Progress" panel getting tossed aside, because they were spot on with me. Just like they predicted, the very second where my brain was starting to be like "yeah yeah, blah blah, let me at 'em already" was when Doomguy threw the panel aside and I practically cheered.

Sephzilla

Yeah, the part that I loved is how well they timed the "Demonic Invasion in Progress" panel getting tossed aside, because they were spot on with me. Just like they predicted, the very second where my brain was starting to be like "yeah yeah, blah blah, let me at 'em already" was when Doomguy threw the panel aside and I practically cheered.

Haha yeah, that was perfect.

Honestly, for as bare bones of a story as Doom has, the opening level does an absolutely fantastic job of setting the tone of the game and story.

Yeah, I caught onto the codex stuff and really enjoyed it. Stuff like how one of the Hell level codex entries starts off with the usual "probe readings indicate blah blah structures" or whatever, and then the second one is "You may be blessed to be a sacrifice as you marvel at the Icon of Sin; oh, and if you see a (whatever), please be sure to offer yourself as a meal, but record it first because we've never seen one alive."

That and the PA recordings in places with stuff like harnessing the power of Hell for a brighter tomorrow!! and coming to a meeting if you feel misgivings about using demons as an energy source

Top Bottom