• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM Resurrected - To Hell & Back (Noclip/O'Dwyer documentary on Doom 2016)

Chavelo

Hugo:
Oh, the demons... Well, you land on Mars and then, you don't know it's demons yet, and then you find out it's demons! And oh my god! And somebody even asks "What do you think they are?" and they're like "I think it's demons".

...they have pointy teeth. They might be vampires.

I'm fucking dead.

jwhit28

Watching part 1, I felt bad for the people that poured so much into Doom 4 1.0, but after watching part 2, it's more clear to me why Call of Doom was a bad idea. Who wants to be just another soldier in a world wide resistance getting beat down by the demon menace, when you can be a near god that the demons fear as you blow through their entire army. It's like those "who can beat Doom guy in a fight" forum threads were made into a game and the answer is still no one, or maybe Jackie Chan.

deleted

I just love this! Hopefully we get many documentaries out of these guys.

Some quality work here and they highlight the best things! Much better than a PR making off that's not able to point to any mistakes. The product is good, we know that by know, show us what went (nearly) wrong and how you fixed it!

So happy this series is a thing. Hugo is amazing to listen to, Danny is killing it with his editing, and next vid has MICK FUCKING GORDON in it.

LET'S GO.

Mindlog

"How about as soon as you walk in it's playing on a fucking megaphone."
-Hugo

Hugo gets it. Great documentary. Amazing how all the uncertainty eventually came together in an out-the-park home run.

lmao Then the interview continues with a baseball analogy. I'm dying lol.

Truant

Man, just hearing about id struggling with the timing of the shotgun cocking in the opening just makes me feel better about life in general.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
My reaction at E3 was the same as the public in Quakecon 2014. This reveal video still is awesome and the final game did the right justice.

SPEA

Loved Part 2 as well. Really neat hearing Hugo's thought process on the self-aware element. That aspect is 1 of the reasons why I enjoyed the campaign so much.

Fliesen

What would they call the sequel tho? Doom 2?

2 Doom 2 Furious?

Just keep adding 'o's

DOOM

DOOOM

DOOOOM

etc.

header.jpg

This documentary really shows how valuable constantly going back to the drawing board can be, even at a late stage of development.

Its great to watch this as someone who works in game dev. There's a lot to be learned and it's always interesting to hear how others respond to the same challenges facing you. I'm so glad the game worked for these guys after all the obstacles and kinks they overcame to achieve such a fantastic game.

Davey Cakes

I love hearing them talk about this game. They seem to really respect the player. "You want Doom, we'll give you Doom and we won't bog you down with bullshit. Have fun."

The amount of thought, care, and talent that went into this project is astounding. So much attention to detail, not just in the presentation but in the pure player experience.

sonicmj1

Great stuff so far.

One thing I found interesting about this part is how hard it was for them to finally reach the 'self-aware' solution they did. It isn't like Hugo showed up with this stuff on day one. It sounds like they spent almost two years iterating through various versions of "I think it might be demons..." before they finally found this self-aware tone.

Props to them for finding it and having the bravery to see it through. The basic idea of it ignores the rulebook for modern AAA 3D games, and it's also a very counterintuitive solution to the playtesting feedback it sounds like they were getting. I'm glad that they had enough faith in their idea to execute it to the point where it seems like the most obvious thing in the world.

EVIL

Great stuff so far.

One thing I found interesting about this part is how hard it was for them to finally reach the 'self-aware' solution they did. It isn't like Hugo showed up with this stuff on day one. It sounds like they spent almost two years iterating through various versions of "I think it might be demons..." before they finally found this self-aware tone.

Props to them for finding it and having the bravery to see it through. The basic idea of it ignores the rulebook for modern AAA 3D games, and it's also a very counterintuitive solution to the playtesting feedback it sounds like they were getting. I'm glad that they had enough faith in their idea to execute it to the point where it seems like the most obvious thing in the world.

That's the typical creative process in all studios. Read up on some postmortems and you will find that a lot of the solutions to problems or game directions only came together in the final stages of development.

iFirez

Jumping on the Hugo is awesome train.

I do agree with those saying that Doom 4 1.0 should be spun off as it's own IP seperate from Doom. It looked maybe a tad too much like Rage, but with a new direction that concept could work amazingly well. Slap a new name on it and alter the story and created a bit - awesome new 'id' IP.

Jumping on the Hugo is awesome train.

I do agree with those saying that Doom 4 1.0 should be spun off as it's own IP seperate from Doom. It looked maybe a tad too much like Rage, but with a new direction that concept could work amazingly well. Slap a new name on it and alter the story and created a bit - awesome new 'id' IP.

If DOOM 2 goes Hell on Earth, I can see elements popping up again.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Latest episode was even better. Love that Hugo listened to Giant Bomb gush over it and everyone seems to understand what was going on. Doom seems to be in good hands.

As probably my GOTY 2016, this documentary is absolutely fascinating.

I can tell between part 1 and 2 that the game turned out the way it did because the right people worked on it.

Top Bottom