• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM Teaser Trailer Released by Bethesda, full unveil at QuakeCon

Sciz

I don't dare believe that this will actually end up being DOOM, but goddamn if that trailer didn't make me want to.

Bethesda?
Bethesda Softworks (Zenimax Media) own id software for a few years now.

Examples of their publishing:

DOOM-3-BFG-EDITION-53012-01.jpg

quake4_x360_boxfront.jpg

dr_rus

So that's a reboot of a reboot which was Doom 3.
I honestly don't see how this will end up good with all the id departures and being in devhell for almost ten years. Hope to be wrong though.

If you guys want more doom style games then look at serious sam or hard reset.

Since doom 3 and its expansions the series has moved away from that type of gameplay and more towards modern shooters, with story elements and slow gameplay.

Guy.brush

It HAS to have co-op, right? Right?!
DOOM was my first ever experience of 2 PCs being networked together to play co-op in 1993.
DAT BNC T-connectors...

Since doom 3 and its expansions the series has moved away from that type of gameplay and more towards modern shooters, with story elements and slow gameplay.

That most certainly isn't the definitive direction for the series, seeing as it's been 11 years since the last full DooM game. Not to mention the fact that the game has had a troubled development cycle, so presumably they've tried the DooM 3 approach and it hasn't worked. The "series" since that has been ports and remakes.

If you guys want more doom style games then look at serious sam or hard reset.

Those games have nothing to do with Doom.

Please no flashlight (at least a stand alone).
Fast paced, tons of monsters on screen and tight gunplay. That is all they need to get right.

Dysun

Hopefully id can turn it around, or just hand over the game to Machine Games.
Doom needs better treatment

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I'm far too hyped now. I think I need to go outside.

Serious question: What exactly are you hyped for?

The trailer shows nothing. None of the talent from id works there anymore and the last good Doom game came out in 1994.

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
This is where we see if iD has still got their chops.

I'm hoping they retain gunplay elements similar to RAGE, but dear god let's hope it's not on id tech 5.

Cool teaser, and great reveal of logo at the end, looking like they might go with a horror route again, which is slightly dissapointing.

Jito

Banned

The trailer shows nothing. None of the talent from id works there anymore and the last good Doom game came out in 1994.

A return of decent FPS's like the new Wolfenstein? Less military shooters the better.

Oh and Doom is just a childhood favourite of mine, one of my first PC games.

I'm surprised anyone couldn't be hyped for new Doom really.

A decent Wolfenstein game just came out without id's direct involvement. It's not unprecedented for the ethos of a series to flourish under new management. Not to mention the two men who made Doom 1 & 2 such a huge success (John Carmack & Romero) have hardly had a spotless track record in the last 20 years.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
A return of decent FPS's like the new Wolfenstein? Less military shooters the better.

Oh and Doom is just a childhood favourite of mine, one of my first PC games.

I'm surprised anyone couldn't be hyped for new Doom really.

It has like a 5% chance of being good. It's been in development hell for years now and has had most of the dev team jump ship. It's got a good 95% chance of being hot garbage.

Skab

It has like a 5% chance of being good. It's been in development hell for years now and has had most of the dev team jump ship. It's got a good 95% chance of being hot garbage.

If people want to be excited for the reveal at Quakecon then let them. You don't need to come shit up the thread.

Jito

Banned

It could go either way til we play it you know. But being cynical works. Why be excited for anything. #Moderngamer.

Top Bottom