• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM Teaser Trailer Released by Bethesda, full unveil at QuakeCon

If any of the rumors surrounding the game's development are true, it's gonna turn out to be a shitshow. Let's hope not. id used to be THE first person shooter house...

It has like a 5% chance of being good. It's been in development hell for years now and has had most of the dev team jump ship. It's got a good 95% chance of being hot garbage.

So what, because what was most likely an entirely different version of the game had troubles, there can't be a decent Doom game again, ever? I'm guessing lots of people said the same about Fallout 3.

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
It has like a 5% chance of being good. It's been in development hell for years now and has had most of the dev team jump ship. It's got a good 95% chance of being hot garbage.

Good until proven shitty Mr.
A return of decent FPS's like the new Wolfenstein? Less military shooters the better.

Oh and Doom is just a childhood favourite of mine, one of my first PC games.

I'm surprised anyone couldn't be hyped for new Doom really.

I'm actually hoping it's less of the new Wolfenstein, I want faster paced gameplay from the new Doom, esepcially if they are taking combat design influence from RAGE and The new Order (who knows if they are, but that's what I'm assuming/hoping). I'm all down for story, but I didn't find TNO's or Doom 3's story that exciting. Basically I want like 99% shooting.

Metal-Geo

Will it be 30fps like Carmack said it would be...? Like 4 fucking years ago?

Whatever. I'm just glad we finally get to see something. But will remain neutral until I get to see more at Quakecon.

That door sound was beautiful though.

ChawlieTheFair

Whatever. I'm just glad we finally get to see something. But will remain neutral until I get to see more at Quakecon.

Well if we can find out if it's on id tech 5 I think that question will be answered for us. Though wasn't the rumor that id tech 5 was dropped for it?

Something tells me that Carmack will have fuck all say in how the game turns out, or at least a good portion of it.

mtm5925

60fps is very likely.

id Software is looking for a Senior Rendering Programmer to join our team and work on legendary id games for PC and next-generation console systems. If you are passionate about rendering and want to help define, create and deliver the industries best visuals at 60+hz then this may be the position for you.
id Software is looking for a Senior Engine Programmer to help define, create, and maintain significant portions of idTech - the fastest and highest fidelity engine at 60hz+ on the planet.
http://jobs.zenimax.com/requisitions/view/618

and last three Glassdoor reviews are quite positive, if not too positive.

http://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Employee-Review-id-Software-RVW4344953.htm

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Something tells me that Carmack will have fuck all say in how the game turns out, or at least a good portion of it.

Seeing as how he doesn't work at id anymore, i'd say that's pretty obvious.

Then again, Carmack never really had much input into the design of the games, only the technology.

Is this the only thing we're seeing from Bethesda this E3? I wonder if we'll see Fallout 4 at Gamescom.

I guess they weren't bluffing when they said their next project was a long way off being shown :(

I still wish Nintendo would update that for the Virtual Console -- just up the resolution and framerate. That's all I would need.

I think the original developer is kaput :\ might not be legally possible.

ChawlieTheFair

I wonder why the tease wasn't in a conference, would have gotten way more hype.
Despite RAGE doing poo sales wise and iD falling out of relevance, the name Doom still holds a lot of weight and would have had people talking.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I still remember Doom 3's epic reveal (those bloated zombies, man) and how badly it burned me the final product. It left me sour enough to remain more cautious than excited.

I don't want to see another Doom game with a mandatory flashlight and less than four enemies at once in my life.

ChawlieTheFair

I still remember Doom 3's epic reveal (those bloated zombies, man) and how badly it burned me the final product. It left me sour enough to remain more cautious than excited.

I don't want to see another Doom game with a mandatory flashlight and less than four enemies at once in my life.

I really hope they are not too horror with this. The way the logo was revealed certainly looks like there will be some scare to it. But they have learned a lot from RAGE and Wolfenstein so I imagine the flashlight is gone :D

J

JoJo UK

Unconfirmed Member
Does the head at the end look a little like...

dungeon_keeper2.jpg

with a broken horn or is it just me?

Super excited for this, though I would love to see a (good) sequel to Quake 2 (I don't look at Q3A as a sequel and quake 4 didn't happen in my eyes).

Like the UAC references throughout :D .

ChawlieTheFair

Doom 3 was a graphical powerhouse and very little else though. The original Doom was amazing technically for the time, but it also bought the bacon in terms of gameplay.

Yeah but if this new doom is RAGE's gameplay + technical achievement of Doom 3 then we can have some mega mega crispy bacon

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I really hope they are not too horror with this. The way the logo was revealed certainly looks like there will be some scare to it. But they have learned a lot from RAGE and Wolfenstein so I imagine the flashlight is gone :D
Doom was always a horror game in my eyes, just an action one instead of a survival horror type, which I'd failed to understand with D3. I still remember the groans of the first zombified Marines, the shrieks of the first ghoul you encountered (followed by a massive ball of fire to your face) and the hellish sights above the bases' walls. They need to capture that feeling at all costs while keeping the game play brisk and simple.

And for the love of Christ, no more dodgy lineal levels ala COD. One of Doom's trademarks was its excellent level design, to the point that still shames most modern FPS.

Edit: And those Hell on Earth leaks from a few months ago were really underwhelming. Doom doesn't translate too well in a non alien, non hi tech environment. We already have plenty of games doing that, too. Doom needs to be hellish and biomechanical; like Doom 3, just with more variety and some working ceiling lights.

AmyS

I just saw the teaser but haven't read a single post in this thread.

I voice actress sounds EXACTLY like Linda Hamilton (Terminator, Terminator 2 Judgement Day, etc)

Nokterian

Ok this does look cool now hoping on that oldskool vibe. Pick up weapons and healthpacks automatic not like in Wolfenstein (i really hate that and takes up to mutch time).

Horp

Going to read up on the correct IRQ and DMA for me to use with this!
Think my card is Sound Blaster Compatible, so I'm fine.

Newboi

I actually hope the ID team takes notes from Brutal Doom. I'd also love for the game to use true projectiles instead of hit-scan weapons. Lastly, make bring the shotgun and super shotgun back to their former glory!

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Going to read up on the correct IRQ and DMA for me to use with this!
Think my card is Sound Blaster Compatible, so I'm fine.

Those sweet, sweet setup.exe files.

I actually hope the ID team takes notes from Brutal Doom. I'd also love for the game to use true projectiles instead of hit-scan weapons. Lastly, make bring the shotgun and super shotgun back to their former glory!
The lack of old school gibs in moder FPS is so fucking lame... Doom 3 was already a huge let down in this respect. There was plenty of blood, but the game was hardly as graphic as the first two episodes.

I'm not sure I liked the "slow-paced horror" style of the video, nor do I particularly care for the "origin" story of the cyberdemon.

The fear you got from DOOM 1 was navigating a maze of corridors, with 2 health left, hearing growls from the distance but you don't yet know where they are coming from, and being 100% in your toes to do some twitch-ass dodging because you know the enemies will tear you to shreds in no time flat if you're not careful. Then you open the door and WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT, A DEMON WITH MECHANICAL LIMBS? NOPE, TURN AROUND. NOPE NOPE NOPE.

No explanation or lore needed. Just a hugeass demon who's going to tear your flesh clean off. I want that, not some brooding "horror horror horror HORRORRRRRR" with low lights and slow gampelay and "omg how did he get those limbs?!?!" backstory.

Not judging the product. We haven't seen a single second of gameplay and this is strictly just a teaser, but I really hope the tone and pace of the video is absolutely nothing like the tone and pace of the final game.

Cool CG, still don't know shit about this. The last two company reviews for Id point to some improvements in management, but Willits will still be in charge if id holds together. I really don't think Willits should lead the design for New Doom; he'll either half-ass an OG-style Doom or fall back on the boring System Shock 2-derived systems from Doom 3.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I'm not sure I liked the "slow-paced horror" style of the video, nor do I particularly care for the "origin" story of the cyberdemon.

The fear you got from DOOM 1 was navigating a maze of corridors, with 2 health left, hearing growls from the distance but you don't yet know where they are coming from, and being 100% in your toes to do some twitch-ass dodging because you know the enemies will tear you to shreds in no time flat if you're not careful. Then you open the door and WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT, A DEMON WITH MECHANICAL LIMBS? NOPE, TURN AROUND. NOPE NOPE NOPE.

No explanation or lore needed. Just a hugeass demon who's going to tear your flesh clean off. I want that, not some brooding "horror horror horror HORRORRRRRR" with low lights and slow gampelay and "omg how did he get those limbs?!?!" backstory.

Not judging the product. We haven't seen a single second of gameplay and this is strictly just a teaser, but I really hope the tone and pace of the video is absolutely nothing like the tone and pace of the final game.
Bingo. Movement and maping were every bit as important in Doom as the shooting itself, and God knows Doom had a whole lot of shooting. Most developers still struggle with this concept, but some people understand it.

20 Years of Doom: The Most Influential Shooter Ever

The secret is that Doom is not actually about the shooting. Released in the days before crosshairs, location-specific damage, precise aiming or the ability to look up, the shooting is not challenging in and of itself. Instead, Doom centers its obstacles not on shooting, but on movement. In an engine where precision aim is impossible (not until Quake does that problem get solved), shooting needed to be as simplified as possible. Aiming in Doom is comparatively very forgiving to prevent the game from being needlessly frustrating.

The challenge, then, is not shooting your enemies, but surviving long enough to be able to do so. Doom’s protagonist is one of the most mobile of any first-person shooter, because he was designed specifically to be able to move quickly and with precision. Unlike most other genre entries which emphasize cover and precision aim, Doom places the emphasis on dodging, strafing and moving around the game’s jagged architecture.

Lessons from Doom

Doom is about “maneuverability as defense”

In almost every modern FPS, the player moves fairly slowly and a huge proportion of enemies are equipped with instant hit attacks – pistols, machine guns, sniper rifles. This usually puts the player in the role of “damage sponge” – they’re intended to soak up a certain amount of damage from mostly unavoidable enemy attacks, then seek cover and heal up. Halo’s recharging shield makes this mechanic quite explicit – by default, you’re exposed to damage and will die, while seeking cover halts that and completes the basic cycle of any combat.

Contrast all this with Doom Guy, who runs at about 50 scale miles per hour – nonsensically fast by modern standards. Most of Doom’s enemies don’t have instant-hit projectile attacks, and most of the ones that do are quite weak – the lowly trooper and sergeant. Every other enemy projectile takes time to reach its target, and would look comical in a more realistic visual presentation.

So because the player moves so quickly in Doom, and because most enemy attacks are dodgeable, the player can avoid a significant amount of damage simply by moving. A skilled player can often deal with large numbers of enemies sustaining hardly a scratch. This creates a feeling that’s quite rare in modern FPS: that you are powerful because you are agile, not because you’re a tank. This frees up Doom’s encounters to feature huge numbers of enemies, to vary scenarios by mixing in different proportions of threats, and to have huge, sprawling, often non-linear spaces that the player can traverse easily. There’s nothing quite like it today.

Doom has a more varied bestiary than most modern FPSes

In many modern FPSes, the design of every enemy the player faces is sampled from a fairly narrow tactical spectrum – soldier with machine gun, soldier with shotgun, zombie with melee attack. Doom, on the other hand, has a huge range of monster sizes, speeds, strengths and movement/attack patterns. Former humans and imps are slow moving ranged fodder. Hell Barons are large, tank-like threats. Flying enemies range from the small charging Lost Soul to the tough, fireball-belching Cacodemon. Revenants and Mancubi launch homing and spread-fire projectiles respectively, and the three boss-class monsters are each very dangerous in different ways. Some enemies can be stunned by weapon fire more easily than others.

Such diversity creates a large but simple to understand toolset that level design can combine with architecture to create a huge variety of combat setups. One tough guy with a lot of fodder means the player has to do crowd control while focusing on the real threat. Lots of flying enemies make the player seek low cover and choke points. Enemies with strong melee in tight spaces make the player dance and really exploit the stun properties of their weapons. This versatility of the core design makes life easier and more fun for the level designer, and thus the player.

Doom was abstract in ways that empowered its level design

While some of Doom’s levels have a very thin fiction via their title (eg “Hangar”) and general texturing theme, if you actually explore them you find they only resemble real locations in the loosest sense possible. This is precisely what allowed Doom’s level design to present a wide variety of interesting tactical setups. Level designers didn’t have to worry about whether a change made something look less like a hangar or a barracks, just whether it was better for gameplay. This was especially critical for a style of game that was just finding its feet in 1993.

As the march of technology has allowed ever-higher graphical fidelity, virtually every FPS since Doom has attempted greater and greater representationalism with its environments. While games like System Shock began to show that a real sense of place can be a huge draw in itself, designers of such games will always have to manage the tension between compelling fiction and optimal function, unless you are willing to go all out and have the kind of weird, abstract spaces Doom has. I would love to see more modern games break with this conventional wisdom and see where it leads, if only in an indie or experimental context.

This picture was made in 2010 and it's still relevant today in 2014.

EjNIGm5.jpg

It goes on to show how deeply the genre has sunk.

Top Bottom