• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 Beta Thread: [Brewmaster]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there an equivalent to orb walking with melee heroes? Should you be running towards your target as soon as the attack animation finishes?

You can hit them, then steadily move in front of them if they're stunned. So once the stun is over you're blocking their path. So hit, move, hit, move until you're in front of them. Its a really useful trick for a hero with fast attack animation* like Beast Master or AM.

Epix

9 out of 10 pubs you've played with are smart; he's awesome!

And yeah I'll play with anyone, just be warned I'm still learning a lot and I'm still pretty low-level. :)

I play Windrunner, Omniknight, Dragon Knight, Enchantress, Nature's Prophet, Axe and Leshrac...still many heroes to learn!

Steam ID: adnaan_c

Couldn't find you on steam.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
It seems Blood Seaker is Faceless Void's Cousin:
2012-04-16_00001.jpg

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Orb Walking is just a specific application of animation canceling, something common to all heroes.

Not all heroes benefit from animation canceling to the same degree, but it's possible with everyone, melee heroes included. The main goal is, as with orb walking, to be able to chase more effectively without reducing your overall DPS.

Just off the top of my head, Slardar, Sven, and Spectre all benefit greatly from animation canceling their attack because of their movement buffs and long backswings.

Low Tier
I strongly disagree with getting Vanguard on Tidehunter. The block doesn't stack with his Kraken Shell passive.

DIMINISHING RETURNS BRO. If you're getting vanguard for the health, just get the vit booster, and you're over 1k closer to your blink that way. Tide doesn't really take much damage after he gets his ulti off because he becomes much less of a threat (thus you don't need the staying power that vanguard grants you for heroes like spec). Or you could get tranquil boots into drums, gives you regen, hp, mana, and an aura for your team.

HenryHSH

I still haven't found a character I feel really comfortable playing. All my friends have some go to character that they know they can do well with in any game and have fun playing.

I guess the character that would sync with me might not even be released yet.

Have you tried Skeleton King?

Orb Walking is just a specific application of animation canceling, something common to all heroes.

Not all heroes benefit from animation canceling to the same degree, but it's possible with everyone, melee heroes included. The main goal is, as with orb walking, to be able to chase more effectively without reducing your overall DPS.

Just off the top of my head, Slardar, Sven, and Spectre all benefit greatly from animation canceling their attack because of their movement buffs and long backswings.

Is there a DOTA2 version of that orb walking video? I'm having difficulty figuring out what you guys mean by back swing.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
So, what do you guys think of my idea of picking up Morbid Mask on Viper? I mainly do it as an alternative to getting Van Guard, and simply grab a Vitality Booster and turn in into a Heart. Do you guys think 20 Damage block + 5HP/Sec is better then Life Steal?

In battle, I just use my built in orb every other attack.

iamblades

So, what do you guys think of my idea of picking up Morbid Mask on Viper? I mainly do it as an alternative to getting Van Guard, and simply grab a Vitality Booster and turn in into a Heart. Do you guys think 20 Damage block + 5HP/Sec is better then Life Steal?

In battle, I just use my built in orb every other attack.

I actually like hood on viper. Might seem superflous with corrosive skin, but more magic reduction is always nice. You take so little damage from nukes with maxed corrosive skin and a hood, it's ridiculous. Also has more regen and is slightly cheaper, and can be upgraded to a pipe if no one else on your team can get it.. Although if you are pushing hard and diving towers and/or you are up against a range right click hero like Drow or Sniper, Vanguard is probably more useful to start.

I don't like lifesteal though, I don't like buying items that I'm only going to get half (or less) utility out of.. If i get it it will be after i get whatever boots im getting, vanguard or hood, and then manta, then I might decide I need some lifesteal to go up against the other teams carry.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
*Team EG Gunnarbokrz is now recruiting as we have a vacant spot. A terrible accident has befallen one of our players *fights back tears*. Unfortunately, EG.GNRZ.4rch3N3MY is no longer with us. Our hearts will go on 4rch3N3MY; we'll continue fighting the good fight for you! RIP.

Tryouts will be held soon. Requirements: A) awesome, unique name B) consistent player.

Low Tier
*Team EG Gunnarbokrz is now recruiting as we have a vacant spot. A terrible accident has befallen one of our players *fights back tears*. Unfortunately, EG.GNRZ.4rch3N3MY is no longer with us. Our hearts will go on 4rch3N3MY; we'll continue fighting the good fight for you! RIP.

Tryouts will be held soon. Requirements: A) awesome, unique name B) consistent player.

Goodnight, sweet prince.

I'm still alive damnit! You can't get rid of me like this!

Tenck

What's the pay like? :p

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Per popular demand, current EG.GNRZ. lineup:

BZM - EG.GNRZ.D3STR0YER (the destroyer)
SwagSurfin - EG.GNRZ.DrAg0n (the african beast)
Haly - EG.GNRZ.NiNjA~kAwAii (asian skillz)
Kapura - EG.GNRZ.4554551N (king of mad)
Procarbine - EG.GNRZ.xXFr0sTy_T1pZXx ("the iceberg")
Insured - EG.GNRZ.TITAN (support bitch, "the philosopher")
Alumnus - EG.GNRZ.~xXx©0LDK1LL4xXx~-PRO- (invented ramen)
Pillow - EG.GNRZ.r4mP4g3 (biggest throws)
Anbokr - EG.GNRZ.eNeMy (team leader, i want u to know im ur enemy and i f*ck sh*t up)
Trasher - EG.GNRZ.bAttLeSh1P (gunnar sponsor/team manager) **i always forget this dude

team cheerleader: £Ģ ǂ [V]ðĴΐÑ ¬ ßṷṸ « §§Ј⁵ ¤ (puppetyuber)
Honorary members: EG.GNRZ.Swifltame and EG.GNRZ.4rch3N3MY (may they rest in peace)... p.s. they both played magic and look what happened to them (take notes, kids)

I don't if it's just me, but I'm hearing the voice of 4rch3N3MY in my head and seeing "ghost posts" as if he's talking through a microphone or something, and it just gets me teary eyed--I just want to tell him that it's time to move on and he can go up to the sky now. 4rch3N3MY if you're listening, you've done good kid, it's time to rest, i promise i'll make you proud.

Per popular demand, current EG.GNRZ. lineup:

BZM - EG.GNRZ.D3STR0YER (the destroyer)
SwagSurfin - EG.GNRZ.DrAg0n (the african beast)
Haly - EG.GNRZ.NiNjA~kAwAii (asian skillz)
Kapura - EG.GNRZ.4554551N (king of mad)
Procarbine - EG.GNRZ.xXFr0sTy_T1pZXx ("the iceberg")
Insured - EG.GNRZ.TITAN (support bitch, "the philosopher")
Alumnus - EG.GNRZ.~xXx©0LDK1LL4xXx~-PRO- (invented ramen)
Pillow - EG.GNRZ.r4mP4g3 (biggest throws)
Anbokr - EG.GNRZ.eNeMy (team leader, i want u to know im ur enemy and i f*ck sh*t up)

team cheerleader: £Ģ ǂ [V]ðĴΐÑ ¬ ßṷṸ « §§Ј⁵ ¤ (puppetyuber)
Honorary members: EG.GNRZ.Swifltame and EG.GNRZ.4rch3N3MY (may they rest in peace)... p.s. they both played magic and look what happened to them (take notes kids)

Why are all the names so fucking busy?

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
free tip to my little sons: dota is 50% name/50% skill; the intimidation factor is key u feel me?

That was posted awhile back when I first entered into the realm of the study and analysis of theoretical DOTA in order to maximize my in game power level and efficiency so that I could progress to the next level of professional gaming. My philosophy is that a powerful, unique name really tips the game in your favor. DOTA 2 is as much a mind game as it is a physical, contact sport (the eternal struggle between hand and mouse/keyboard).

Edit: The new gunnarbokr will dawn the mantle "EG.GNRZ.H0L02PAC". Now we need one strong enough to live up to such an intimidating and destructive DOTA title; random pubs would be overwhelmed by such a name. Although, I feel only one who has died and ascended to beyond the sky can truly represent the gunnarbokrz as EG.GNRZ.H0L02PAC... hmmmmmm.

SamVimes

Yesterday i used Furion for the first time in RD, if played solo mid ganking a lot instead of the usual pub pve Furion he's really fun-

o4zloiroman is unique enough for ya?

Tenck

Tried Alchemist for the first time and was outfarming a SF by a damn lot. He kept being aggressive but even when I had like 200hp I dove right back in for the farm haha. Pretty dumb of me, but I kept trying to move around everywhere to avoid the razes.

kazabi

Basically every carry has to buy MKB against him?

He has one skill that gives himself evasion and one skill that gives the enemy target a debuff that slows and gives a miss chance. MKB is great since it removes both of those, but BKB also works if you just want to avoid the debuff, since you'll probably not focus down brewmaster that early in team fights since he's tanky. It's the debuff that gives the extreme miss chance.

Drunken Brawler
25% dodge, 25% chance to critical (2x critical damage)

Drunken Haze
26% movement speed reduction, 75% miss chance (8 seconds duration with 8 seconds cooldown)

xanavi

I actually like hood on viper. Might seem superflous with corrosive skin, but more magic reduction is always nice. [...]

I don't like lifesteal though, I don't like buying items that I'm only going to get half (or less) utility out of. [...]

You might actually be more survivable going with the flat HP from the vanguard over the hood when it comes to magic resistance. Depending on your level, the flat HP is going to mean more EHP against nukes than simply stacking percentages.

viper at level 16 has 1043 HP, a vit booster gives 250 hp, that's an additional 25% hp
with a hood you get 16.25% more HP against nukes over just having Corrosive Skin maxed.

BeesEight

That was posted awhile back when I first entered into the realm of the study and analysis of theoretical DOTA in order to maximize my in game power level and efficiency so that I could progress to the next level of professional gaming. My philosophy is that a powerful, unique name really tips the game in your favor. DOTA 2 is as much a mind game as it is a physical, contact sport (the eternal struggle between hand and mouse/keyboard).

And what does EG stand for again?

Quick question about Alchemist. Was in a game with a friend and he levelled gold first. I didn't notice so when I went in to gank at level one (was Sven), we weren't able to kill the opponent. Is it normal for Alchemist to grab gold as a first skill and should I have told him to get the stun first instead?

It seems Blood Seaker is Faceless Void's Cousin:

I don't think that team has enough carries.

Torraz

Just played Ursa and had a lot of fun. It was the most effective melee character (at low level) that I have played up until now. Overpower --> dash in, last hit some creeps --> get out until ulti etc...

Usually, when playing melee characters I had trouble last-hitting/finishing enemy creeps in the beginning which led to me falling behind with regard to level etc, combined with constantly being sniped at my ranged heroes/creeps.

JustinBB7

Quick question about Alchemist. Was in a game with a friend and he levelled gold first. I didn't notice so when I went in to gank at level one (was Sven), we weren't able to kill the opponent. Is it normal for Alchemist to grab gold as a first skill and should I have told him to get the stun first instead?

Depends on the team and if they are communicating. I like to get the gold passive first as well since I usually don't try to gank with Alchemist at level 1. If you are gonna gank you should tell your friend so you can both get your stuns.

Tenck

I don't think that team has enough carries.

Evil Genius.

Meteorain

I don't if it's just me, but I'm hearing the voice of 4rch3N3MY in my head and seeing "ghost posts" as if he's talking through a microphone or something, and it just gets me teary eyed--I just want to tell him that it's time to move on and he can go up to the sky now. 4rch3N3MY if you're listening, you've done good kid, it's time to rest, i promise i'll make you proud.

Rofl. This is somewhat reminiscent to the South Park ep where Cartman thinks he's dead because everyone is ignoring him.

Balehead

Balehead

He called the gg at around 15 minutes, before even one t3 was down and jugg didn't even have his bf up if im correct. It was way early to call a gg, Lumi said it himself too. Game lasted over 30 minutes.

Phandy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ehL2oXNdqQ

First of all, is this considered cheating? If not, any of you guys know how to enable it (links in description are broken)?

You set it for a specific range in console:

dota_range_display XXX

xxx = distance in units.
so 1200 is good once you get a BlinkDagger.

The other 'arrow' indicators only work on some skills. Some skills it shows a big green arrow at any distance. Some skills it doesnt even appear.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I actually like hood on viper. Might seem superflous with corrosive skin, but more magic reduction is always nice. You take so little damage from nukes with maxed corrosive skin and a hood, it's ridiculous. Also has more regen and is slightly cheaper, and can be upgraded to a pipe if no one else on your team can get it.. Although if you are pushing hard and diving towers and/or you are up against a range right click hero like Drow or Sniper, Vanguard is probably more useful to start.

I don't like lifesteal though, I don't like buying items that I'm only going to get half (or less) utility out of.. If i get it it will be after i get whatever boots im getting, vanguard or hood, and then manta, then I might decide I need some lifesteal to go up against the other teams carry.

You know what, I actually forgot the fact hood gives a ton of Regen for some reason. I'll give that a try in my next game as Viper if the situation calls for it.

Does no one play Random Draft? I've been searching for 14 minutes but have yet to find a match.....

When having AP/SD/RD as choices, I usually end up in RD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom