• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA 2 Datamined: Lots Of New Info, [February Open Beta Is Likely]

markot

Banned
So, this stuff about naming, will that give the heros names like they give strange weapons?

So if you have played and killed or whatever 500 people with clockwork, you become 'sufficently lethal clockwork' for example >.>?

I just pray that Valve do not put any form of 'leveling' in, or runes, or whatever the hell. Just awful, the worst thing about Lol imo.

What I dont get is, if Valve do go with the free heros thing, as expected or at least hoped, do you think lol and hon will have to do the same? That might make things even worse for them if they have to deal with pissed off people, but if they dont do it, people will flock to dota 2 more so because character restrictions are one of the big failings of those games. IMO!

markot said:
So, this stuff about naming, will that give the heros names like they give strange weapons?

So if you have played and killed or whatever 500 people with clockwork, you become 'sufficently lethal clockwork' for example >.>?

I just pray that Valve do not put any form of 'leveling' in, or runes, or whatever the hell. Just awful, the worst thing about Lol imo.

What I dont get is, if Valve do go with the free heros thing, as expected or at least hoped, do you think lol and hon will have to do the same? That might make things even worse for them if they have to deal with pissed off people, but if they dont do it, people will flock to dota 2 more so because character restrictions are one of the big failings of those games. IMO!

It'll just be the hats/capes/dolls/gloves/pants/shirts you wear for looks, from the sound of it.

No leveling in Dota, unless you count leveling your hero in a match, leveling up your "A" game or leveling the playing field.

No, Leagues doesn't need to do anything different, they got a bunch of people willing to just play the game with a handful of heroes they enjoy, who cares about the other 90 if you ain't going to play them, in addition, why go out and try something new when you can just wait for a free week of someone you're on the fence about? HoN is just trying stuff to see what works, to keep them from being lumped in with DotA2. While DotA2 itself would not bring any direct money, just think of all the new people signing up with Steam, all those new eyes seeing those sales on the update pop-up. All those people willing to play TF2/DotA2 to farm more items to trade for hats or games, it's just an explosion of Steam activity. And if they could release a game, for free, that looks like that, what would people think about their paid games?

Meeru said:
Uh dota 2 wil have leveling. Leaked pics already show exp and lvls on ur profile
what what what

noooooooooo

I guess maybe if it's used exclusively for purposes of matchmaking it won't be too bad. Still.

Meeru

Banned
Togglesworlh said:
what what what

noooooooooo

I guess maybe if it's used exclusively for purposes of matchmaking it won't be too bad. Still.
Well my idea was that higher levels would reward you with better cosmetic items.

On an unrelated note, I really love the Steam shift-tab thing. That and the voice chat in Steam is really really good.

Meeru

Banned
I am pretty confident that all heroes will be available on release, and that it probably be f2p with a shop.

Of course, this is just off the top of my head.

Sibylus

Banned
Random speculation: XP and leveling are tied to games played, ELO ranking, or prestige (for doing helpful things in the community, writing guides, coaching, etc), or any combination of the three. Level up and you get access to more and more accessories in the f2p shop, or you can pay to beeline straight to the accessories you want.

Would certainly fit with Gabe's "jerks should pay more" idea, wouldn't it?

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Wouldn't matter, Steam doesn't offer refunds as you don't like the game.

rezuth

AcridMeat said:
It takes time to learn how to play DOTA and can be frustrating as hell in the early goings. Actually, it can always be frustrating.
But that is just a great argument for F2P, no one loses any money.

AcridMeat

Banned
rezuth said:
But that is just a great argument for F2P, no one loses any money.

Yes but he said P2P did he not? Or was that a typo.

edit: Or am I reading P2P wrong? It's 4:30 I'm gonna go to bed...

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Meeru said:
I'm afraid that p2p will cause a lot of ppl asking for refunds after the first couple days

Another argument against P2P is that it will limit the player pool and newbies will be more likely to play against experienced people. Gabe and Erik have preached that Dota is most fun when you are playing similarly skilled opponents. Making the game F2P would mean that you have a massive pool of players at all skill levels, and not just those who know they are good and will spend money on the game.

Angry Fork

Why are people talking about Dota 2 so much, it comes out soon you'll get all your answers. Episode 3 however is nowhere on the horizon this thread should be about HL3 the more bitching we do the more Valve might be inclined to say something about it.

derFeef

Archie said:
Because Dota 2 is more interesting than any Half-Life game.
That's debatable. Or not really, it's wrong.
But the question why we are talking about Dota 2 in a Dota 2 thread is weird anyway and I guess everyone is just tired of asking where/what/when/how the hell Half-Life 3 (EP3) is happening.

derFeef said:
Oh, next year then, cool. But have fun and all that :)

The NDA is lifted in 2 weeks :) no need to wait till next year. Icefrog said they are starting to send out more keys for a closed beta when the NDA is lifted. We are not allowed to post pics or talk about the game for the next 2 weeks :/ But as i said, you can ask questions and i will answer them when i am allowed to do

tuxor

Neo Member
RaGMasTeR90 said:
The NDA is lifted in 2 weeks :) no need to wait till next year. Icefrog said they are starting to send out more keys for a closed beta when the NDA is lifted. We are not allowed to post pics or talk about the game for the next 2 weeks :/ But as i said, you can ask questions and i will answer them when i am allowed to do

Answer every hypothetical question you can think of. GO!

PNstyle said:
Can you answer how you got into the beta? Emailed Icefrog?

Well kind of. Friend of mine is working as a journalist on an esport site and he got 2 keys.

i think i can tell you on what system i can run the game. I dont tell you if it runs good or bad but here you go:

Asus Laptop. Core 2 Duo 2,1GHZ, Geforce GT120M, 4GB DDR2 RAM, Windows 7 Professional 32Bit.

RaGMasTeR90 said:
Well kind of. Friend of mine is working as a journalist on an esport site and he got 2 keys.

i think i can tell you on what system i can run the game. I dont tell you if it runs good or bad but here you go:

Asus Laptop. Core 2 Duo 2,1GHZ, Geforce GT120M, 4GB DDR2 RAM, Windows 7 Professional 32Bit.
Thanks.

TheExodu5

Banned
Botolf said:
Random speculation: XP and leveling are tied to games played, ELO ranking, or prestige (for doing helpful things in the community, writing guides, coaching, etc), or any combination of the three. Level up and you get access to more and more accessories in the f2p shop, or you can pay to beeline straight to the accessories you want.

Would certainly fit with Gabe's "jerks should pay more" idea, wouldn't it?

I'm liking this idea. Getting points for coaching would be sweet.

derFeef

TheExodu5 said:
Wasn't that already confirmed in some interview? That if you train noobs you will gain points/popularity and so on?

derFeef said:
Wasn't that already confirmed in some interview? That if you train noobs you will gain points/popularity and so on?

well it was only confirmed that you will be somehow rewarded if you coach new players. As far as i remember they did not say how exactly those rewards would be like.

TheExodu5

Banned
Archie said:
Because Dota 2 is more interesting than any Half-Life game.

From an industry standpoint, it most certainly is. Dota 2 may have a very large impact on both Steam and e-sports, and that alone makes me excited for this game. The game looks pretty damned good too, so that doesn't hurt. :p

RaGMasTeR90 said:
well it was only confirmed that you will be somehow rewarded if you coach new players. As far as i remember they did not say how exactly those rewards would be like.

Good to know. I'm anxious to see how it's going to work. It's going to be very tricky to set up a system that can't easily be abused. I'm not quite sure how TF2 coaching works, but I'm guessing this will be an extension to that.

TheExodu5 said:
From an industry standpoint, it most certainly is. Dota 2 may have a very large impact on both Steam and e-sports, and that alone makes me excited for this game. The game looks pretty damned good too, so that doesn't hurt. :p

From the majority of gamers it is too ^^ I dont know how many people on the world have played half life, but i know that DotA has a pretty huuuuuuuuuuuuuge userbase. I guess thats because the asian market went DotA crazy when it became esport popular

Sibylus

Banned
From a Valve standpoint, if their heart isn't in Half-Life at the moment, I don't want to see it yet.

TheExodu5 said:
Ah, vaguely recall Tobi Wan talking about some of the ideas flying around. Special user titles for prestige was one possibility he raised, but didn't really confirm anything iirc.

Ksqcb.jpg

I'm amazed that Venge, while being a vaporous spirit fueled by pure hatred and revenge, still has a bellybutton...

Actually, I'm surprised at the amount of fan-service cleavage on the models.

I thought Valve was above such petty fantasy tropes.

:/

Gino

Artanisix said:
I really, really, REALLY don't like Pudge's hair. I would definitely prefer the samurai haircut from that old concept art.
I've been playing the beta for around 4 months now and not ONCE have I looked at Pudge's hair. that being said I don't think that is an accurate model. I'll have to confirm later.

x3r0123

Darth Kupi said:
http://i.imgur.com/Ksqcb.jpg[IMG]

I'm amazed that Venge, while being a vaporous spirit fueled by pure hatred and revenge, still has a bellybutton...

Actually, I'm surprised at the amount of fan-service cleavage on the models.

I thought Valve was above such petty fantasy tropes.

:/[/QUOTE]

its all about the fan-service :)

Soule

Artanisix said:
I really, really, REALLY don't like Pudge's hair. I would definitely prefer the samurai haircut from that old concept art.
It's a trap, you'll be buying a hat in no time friend.

x3r0123 said:
its all about the fan-service :)

Really? Does Valve really need this?

Well, at least its equal fan-service for both sexes. Pugna's rocking some sweet spirit wizard cleavage (DEM RIBS!), and Lich is wearing a metal Borat mankini.

:p

Although Enchantress has a bellybutton, yet Leshrac does not.

WHY!!??!

Also is razor a literal cone underneath that suit of his?

Top Bottom