• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 Reborn beta thread | Custom games and Source 2

Update: Reborn has arrived

---

reborn_beta_day1.png

Latest update, September 8

So, what is Dota2 Reborn?

It's Valve migrating Dota 2 over to Source 2 and replacing the UI and enabling Custom Games. Ranked MM is now enabled, and you can play regular Dota with your friends or with bots.

How to install it?

1. Install Dota 2 if you haven't already
  2. Start up Dota 2
  3. Go to the Play tab and select Dota 2 Reborn Beta/or tick the box in the DLC tab and it will start downloading it for you
  4. Click Install to begin your download

It runs on Windows, Mac and Linux (64 bit only).

For some people it had to download it twice, so keep that in mind. Also important infos from reddit and Facepunch, though this is supposedly unstable:

Hey guys, launching Dota 2 Reborn from Steam seems to start up a 32 bit version of the game. In "Steamsteamappscommondota 2 betagamebinwin64" you can launch a fully working 64 bit dota2.exe

Just a FYI opening up the 64-bit ver of dota 2 in "C:program Files (x86)Steamsteamappscommondota 2 betagamebinwin64" Doesn't activate DX11

you have to make a shorcut with "-DX11" in the target box after the location

eFkWItr.png

or https://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comments/3ab2su/psa_dota_2_reborn_defaults_to_32bitdx9_heres_how/

I'm actually interested in normal Dota, did Valve improve the tutorial?

They added bot guided tutorials with this update, so give them a try, there are also the default tutorials and regular bor matches, othewise feel free to ask in the OT for advice.

How long will this be in beta?

Valve said they're aiming to release it sometime after the International, but you know, Valve Time and all...

So, what are the details?

There are 3 pillars for this, I'm going to link them, please read them to the end.

1. The new interface
    • all-new dashboard
    • new party features
    • new friends features
    • improved chat
    • improved spectating
    • redesigned hero browser
    • bot guided tutorial
    • the in-game UI has not been touched...yet
  2. Custom Games
    • playing and spectating custom games
    • creating custom lobby
    • new Valve-made mode with another following in the weeks
    • mod tools
  3. Source 2/new technologies
    • Improved input, performance (it's going to run better even on lower end HW), audio, multithreading, streaming and physics
    • Source Film Maker is now in Source 2
    • improved networking
    • Ranked MM not enabled yet, but match history, ranks, friends, items are shared acros versions

I want to create custom games!

In part 2 Valve gives some details, but here's the wiki. Good luck!

What are some good custom games?

I haven't tried them out yet. Currently some are having issue with lobby makers being AFK and games not starting, hopefully this will sort itself out, but hey, this is early beta. But in the end check them out for yourself.

I did collect the current modes from the popular tab, maybe these are all good, maybe not, we'll see. And anyone feel free to recommend games:

Others:

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Some good casual co-op modes would probably be fun to play. What are the best ones out there? That Enfos mode sounds pretty cool.

Syf

Banned
Was able to play some yesterday. Excited to see what the community comes up with being that Source 2 sounds versatile and the tools/custom game UI look a hell of a lot more intuitive than a certain other company's attempt.

Oh wow, I need to edit stuff to try it in dx11? 64 bit edit too?

I can't wait to try it out like that. I wanna see the performance it goes with.

Sianos

ILLUSION BUG FIXED, THANKS TO STEVE FOR REMINDING ME
song_siren.gif

now if only it would download so i don't miss this ihl scrim ah geez

I was able to get into 2 custom games last night after 20 or so tries. Kind of horrible at the moment.

At least it doesn't open up a brand new client every single time.

Merkunt

At the moment there is a bug with illusions and selling items, it's happened before on the original client so there should be a hot fix really soon.

I'll edit this when the fix comes out (and someone reminds me)

This post came too late, already was a victim to this...

patcharino

June 18, 2015
- Fixed illusions being able to manipulate and sell items
- Fixed various bugs with Render Quality setting
- Fixed Huskar causing significant framerate loss
- Fixed various crashes when joining lobbies
- Fixed Armlet causing you to lose too much HP when toggling
- Updated many areas of the Terrain
- Fixed various bugs with hero abilities in Demo Mode
- Fixed various lobby bugs (including games often not launching when full, more lobby fixes to come here)
- Fixed being able to escape the map in Demo Mode
- Fixed Decay not manipulating HP properly
- Fixed a crash when using Charms
- Fixed Custom Game panel sometimes not showing games
- Fixed various bugs when gaining item drops
- Fixed some old Arcanas not working properly
- Fixed being able to ward in the Roshan pit
- Fixed Terrain texture quality bugs
- Added a new netgraph vconsole subtool. Launch Vconsole2.exe and select the netgraph icon.
- Fixed an issue with how we update the beta that caused existing downloads to restart when updates started (fixed for updates after this one)
- Fixed being unable to play private bot games when in a party
- Fixed enemy seeing Necro units on minimap
- Fixed sometimes being unable to see the game name when you join a lobby
- Fixed a crash when dire or radiant ancients were destroyed
- Fixed bugs with Truesight
- Fixed disconnect button not working while connected to a custom game
- Fixed some heroes having incorrect voice filters
- Fixed Windranger spawn line
- Fixed Necrophos voice and spawn lines
- Fixed all chat not working sometimes
- Fixed various bugs with screen resolutions
- Fixed automatic region detection not working
- Fixed sometimes not being able to see which custom game your friend is playing
- Fixed some areas where player IPs were discoverable
- Profile now shows the same stats as the ones you select for your miniprofile
- Added Australia and Brazil regions for Reborn beta
- Fixed text formatting carrying through incorrectly in the friends feed
- Fixed Acid Spray from blocking neutrals
- Fixed "Chat with player" not grabbing focus
- Fixed some crashes when using chat commands
- Fixed losing some sound settings if they were changed while playing a custom game
- Fixed not being able to start game under Windows N
- Fixed a crash related to various source1 command lines (-enable_addons, -novid, -dxlevel)
- Fixed match disabled label in play tab not going away when match disabled time expires
- Solo bot match when in a party now starts a lobby game and connects, instead of playing a local match
- Fixed "Kick from lobby team" showing up at the wrong times in player context menu
- Fixed ApplyDataDrivenModifier causing an error when setting duration in script
- Fixed the reconnect button behavior when in custom games
- Fixed Lone Druid bear not animating sometimes

epmode

Is the in-game spectate feature working yet? The Watch section hasn't finished loading for me since I first updated to the beta.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Overthrow was cute, but like the vast majority of these kind of custom games there ends up being like, 20 viable characters. Basically if you don't have serious nuke damage you're not going to get very far

I'm really interested to see if someone can make some fleshed out custom game types that allow the whole roster to be useful

ref

How is the input lag in this?

I took a break for a few months and came back and found that the input lag was insane. Had like a 52 ping in-game and I felt the delay was almost a second. Unplayable. I was pretty excited to see it mentioned as being improved.

Edit: For me it's still unplayable, I'm going to have to take some time and try and figure this out

How is the input lag in this?

I took a break for a few months and came back and found that the input lag was insane. Had like a 52 ping in-game and I felt the delay was almost a second. Unplayable. I was pretty excited to see it mentioned as being improved.

Edit: For me it's still unplayable, I'm going to have to take some time and try and figure this out

Try a bot game. Those are played off your machine and not a server.

If you're still getting input lag, then there has got to be something weird going on with your PC.

pudge wars isn't in OP?
this is blasphemy!

edit: what's the difference between the 32 and 64 bit?

64-bit is what you want to run ideally on a 64-bit OS so it's native. Biggest thing is that it will allow you to load more into memory. Don't expect night/day differences but you'll likely see some minor performance boosts using 64-bit. Granted, there's likely a reason Valve hasn't made it the default so unless you just want to experiment, stay with the default 32-bit for now.

jediyoshi

SFM2 is toooo buggy at the moment.

It kills me, because the rest of the S2 tools are godlike and dealing with Source tools make me want to die

June 19 update

- Fixed a bug where users would not always be properly removed after they left lobbies
- Fixed a bug where the custom game would not automatically launch when full
- Fixed players getting 1025 gold in AR
- Fixed missing particle effect for Winter Wyver's Arctic Burn attack
- More Terrain fixes
- Fixed a crash when failing to connect to a server
- Fixed a crash when selecting a shared announcer
- Fixed Broodmother Webs blocking neutral camps
- Fixed crash when moving sliders in material editor
- Updated Faceless Void hero movie
- Fixed some issues with voice cutting out
- Lobby chat is global by default
- Fixed being unable to respond to whispers in team select or waiting for players screens
- Fixed pending invites menu blocking tooltips
- Fixed scrollbar not showing up with emoticon picker
- Fixed Earth Spirit voice
- LinkLuaModifier can now be called with three parameters to specify a filename/location (Ex: LinkLuaModifier( modifierName, fileName, LuaModifierType )
- Fixed a bug related to abilities and scripts being in folders
- Added OnProjectileHit/Think_ExtraData functions to ability_lua
- Added GetTexture to modifier_lua
- Fixed some cases where you would be able to join a lobby with a different version of the custom game
- Fixed Faceless Void's Timewalk effect
- Fixed a case where the dota font wasn't showing up on Chinese clients
- Fixed capitalization not working correctly with unicode characters
- Fixed some bugs with IME input
- Fixed sound event not obeying their respective volume sliders
- Fixed some cases where heroes could spawn incorrectly and be stuck
- Left clicking on a lobby in the custom game lobby browser will now join the game rather than show game info
- Fixed various bugs with Smoke of Deceit
- Added Texture and Shadow qualities to video settings UI
- Fixed sometimes not filling a lobby if there was one player left
- Fixed some hardware detection issues that could result in lower performance
- Added script supported for ExtraData kv with Projectiles
- Fixed a crash when using the workshop submission tool
- Fixed some bugs with Lua scripting where table to kvconverssions were missing Boolean types
- Fixed playing the sound when you create/join a lobby through the UI
- Fixed some areas where you could place wards that you normally wouldn't be able to
- Demo mode invulnerability now affects additional units you own
- Fixed some bugs with using max level in Demo mode
- Added Lua script support for GetAdditionalOwnedUnits
- Fixed Watch live minimap showing buildings incorrectly
- In some cases where there is an error in the install (like the soundmixer error), the game will automatically try to verify the install to fix the issue
- Fixed a crash when alt tabbing in a UI that uses 3D models
- Fixed attacking and selecting Nyx while he is burrowed
- Fixed being unable to target Supernova

I want to know too!

Also, Omni Party is live.

And from the other thread

So here are the custom maps I've played so far that are polished and worth playing:

- Reflex
- DotA Strikers
- Bomberman
- Warchasers
- Skillshot Wars
- Goldrush
- Overthrow (obviously)

Pretty damn good selection for being only a few days into the beta, and most of these were built with the more limited alpha tools.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
This thread deserves a better thread title :/

Like this all people interested in Dota already know about it and people who would care about custom games won't open the thread because it's just Dota 2...

Needed something like:

Dota 2 Reborn: Get in here if you don't like MOBAs but remember the WC3 days

ScOULaris

This thread deserves a better thread title :/

Like this all people interested in Dota already know about it and people who would care about custom games won't open the thread because it's just Dota 2...

Needed something like:

Dota 2 Reborn: Get in here if you don't like MOBAs but remember the WC3 days

I agree. Something about Custom Games should be added to the title to draw the eye.

Moaradin

Slayers of the ancients

it's not out yet

It looks pretty awesome. That's the type of custom games I'm looking for. A lot of the current ones are neat, but I want stuff that drastically changes the way the game plays. I'm glad it's possible looking at that gif.

Top Bottom