• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 - Monkey King (new hero) and the New Journey Update announced at TI6

Yazzees

It took like, what, 6 years for Dota 2 to reach hero parity with Dota 1. 3 of those years were after the beta ended. Now that we're getting completely new heroes, I hope Valve has plans for fast tracking more new content for the future. I have no idea now frequent competitors like LoL releases new heroes though.
Much easier for LoL to pump them out regularly due to the nature of how they design them to fit one of 5 roles. New heroes in Dota are a way bigger can of worms.

Hylian7

It took like, what, 6 years for Dota 2 to reach hero parity with Dota 1. 3 of those years were after the beta ended. Valve time is real.

Now that we're getting completely new heroes, I hope Valve has plans for fast tracking more new content for the future. I have no idea now frequent competitors like LoL releases new heroes though.

The thing about releasing heroes on a schedule is that it becomes a "hero factory". LoL has the problem where they design them, then they are OP or have some serious design flaws right out the gate, then have to be fixed and just irritates everyone. That's not to say a new hero still couldn't be OP in Dota, but the design is more thought out rather than being on a tight schedule for them.

nilbog21

Banned
It took like, what, 6 years for Dota 2 to reach hero parity with Dota 1. 3 of those years were after the beta ended. Valve time is real.

Now that we're getting completely new heroes, I hope Valve has plans for fast tracking more new content for the future. I have no idea now frequent competitors like LoL releases new heroes though.

No. Just no. if you're playing this game for "more new content" then you're playing this game for the wrong reasons

killatopak

Monkey Queen ain't the legend.

getting stale "after awhile" = "tens of thousands or more"

If only other games had that longevity before getting stale.

I wasn't referring to how long you've played anyway. I was mainly talking about Meta.

It also doesn't change the fact that it's stale if you're an old player. Meta takes a very long time to change so a couple of heroes get to be op for a long time. I was playing all these "New" heroes in dota 2 years before dota 2 actually released. Only thing that was really big was the map changes and a few items.

All my opinion of course.

I may get back to playing the game because of this new hero. I've been staying out of it for a long time now.

Hylian7

Probably in the tens of thousands or more . I can't really count the number of matches I had in Dota 1.

When did you last play? It sounds like you haven't even really touched Dota 2 at all. It also sounds like you have barely played since the 2006-ish era. I highly suggest trying again in Dota 2. You'll see that no game is ever the same, and while some may be similar because of the meta, that often changes with the patch, or new strats popping up.

killatopak

When did you last play? It sounds like you haven't even really touched Dota 2 at all. It also sounds like you have barely played since the 2006-ish era. I highly suggest trying again in Dota 2. You'll see that no game is ever the same, and while some may be similar because of the meta, that often changes with the patch, or new strats popping up.

I last played maybe late 2014 - early 2015. I was watching TI6 and I found a few changes that was pretty new to me. I think I saw 1-2-2 laning and I was a bit surprised cause 2-1-2 and 1-1-3 was the most common back then.

XAL

I wasn't referring to how long you've played anyway. I was mainly talking about Meta.

It also doesn't change the fact that it's stale if you're an old player. Meta takes a very long time to change so a couple of heroes get to be op for a long time. I was playing all these "New" heroes in dota 2 years before dota 2 actually released. Only thing that was really big was the map changes and a few items.

All my opinion of course.

I may get back to playing the game because of this new hero. I've been staying out of it for a long time now.

It's the best time to get back into dota. Plenty of new stuff for people that played it long ago.

That and the meta is the most balanced it's ever been. There aren't any super OP heroes that are ALWAYS picked like in past patches.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Is there a list/description for these?

Gambler was a real old WC3 Dota hero who could do random huge damage and did more damage based on his own or his target's money on hand. Don't know the others.

xrmjVZl.jpg

PSqueak

Banned
Does this count as them ripping of LoL?

I mean, obviously both characters are based on the Journey to the West classical chinese epic, but still, first "original" DOTA2 character and it's a concept LoL already did as a playable character?

Mifec

I mean, obviously both characters are based on the Journey to the West classical chinese epic, but still, first "original" DOTA2 character and it's a concept LoL already did as a playable character?

Was already a concept before lol came out as far as I remember. Riot stole most of the stuff from the old dota forums. idk if you know the whole Pendragon story, it's pretty damn pathetic.

Hylian7

I mean, obviously both characters are based on the Journey to the West classical chinese epic, but still, first "original" DOTA2 character and it's a concept LoL already did?
No, Sun Wukong is a public domain character. We don't really know how long Icefrog had the idea either, other than it popping up as a secret boss two years ago.

PSqueak

Banned
Was already a concept before lol came out as far as I remember. Riot stole most of the stuff from the old dota forums. idk if you know the whole Pendragon story, it's pretty damn pathetic.

Im barely learning about the whole thing, was mentioned in another thread, i just don't really have a good idea of how much into the life of LoL Wukong became playable.

No, Sun Wukong is a public domain character. We don't really know how long Icefrog had the idea either, other than it popping up as a secret boss two years ago.

That's what i was thinking, it just seemed weird to me that they chose that as their first new character given that pretty much gives fanboys ammo to go "OMGZ! WUKONG RIPOFF!"

Im barely learning about the whole thing, was mentioned in another thread, i just don't really have a good idea of how much into the life of LoL Wukong became playable.

That's what i was thinking, it just seemed weird to me that they chose that as their first new character given that pretty much gives fanboys ammo to go "OMGZ! WUKONG RIPOFF!"

It's a cool concept of a character that's already in Smite, HoN, LoL, and apparently even HoS. A "monkey king" hero could have been one of the hundreds of suggestions that were made back in the days, before Pendragon fucked the DotA community.

Top Bottom