• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Double Dragon IV |OT| The masters of the art of Ssetsuken return!

Nursezero

Totally getting this! I remember drawing (tracing) the artwork from double dragon 3 in 2nd grade and getting in trouble for it cause I wasn't doing any of the school work.....geez I'm old

alf717

Price is amazing. Gonna get this on Steam. Definitely gonna grab it on Switch if that happens one day.

First time I hear a PSN game gets released on a Sunday. I'll keep my eye on this

If it's indeed $6.99 that would make it $1 cheaper than the arcade ports of DD1 and DD2! Crazy

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
First time I hear a PSN game gets released on a Sunday. I'll keep my eye on this

If it's indeed $6.99 that would make it $1 cheaper than the arcade ports of DD1 and DD2! Crazy

Yeah I've never known that either. Could be mistake.

Dremark

Banned
Yeah I've never known that either. Could be mistake.
The arcade archive games are all in that price range and are more expensive than they probably should be.

They are also from another publisher, presumably one who licenses them out so that's likely part of why they are pricey. Regardless the price for this game is less than I would have expected and it's cool they are doing a retro throwback like this.

Nitty_Grimes

The arcade archive games are all in that price range and are more expensive than they probably should be.

They are also from another publisher, presumably one who licenses them out so that's likely part of why they are pricey. Regardless the price for this game is less than I would have expected and it's cool they are doing a retro throwback like this.

Sorry, the release date being a Sunday I meant.

Leyasu

Banned
DD is the game of my pre-teens and a franchise I Will always love.

Why is this not coming to xbone ffs?

Amazing OT!

And hot damn? It's only $7?! So weird for a PSN game to release not on a Tuesday...

Two questions, OP.

1. About the timeline, with DD3 taking place before DD2, is that based on the original Arcade storyline or something? The reason I ask is that in the NES and PC Engine versions of DD2,
Marian is brought back to life at the ending. The NES DD3 ending reveals that Cleopatra was a possessed Marian in disguise, while the arcade and Genesis versions make no mention of her at all. Plus add that she was cut from Super Double Dragon, but mentioned in the marketing stuffs.

2. And with the profiles, Jimmy is the older brother? I thought the Lees were twins?

Hell, I might grab this on steam, too! I hope that do a bundle with this and Double Dragon Trilogy. That fucking game is NEVER on sale, especially when compared to Neon

Hoping that the extra character is
Kunio
, too

Wonko_C

Amazing OT!

And hot damn? It's only $7?! So weird for a PSN game to release not on a Tuesday...

Two questions, OP.

1. About the timeline, with DD3 taking place before DD2, is that based on the original Arcade storyline or something? The reason I ask is that in the NES and PC Engine versions of DD2,
Marian is brought back to life at the ending. The NES DD3 ending reveals that Cleopatra was a possessed Marian in disguise, while the arcade and Genesis versions make no mention of her at all. Plus add that she was cut from Super Double Dragon, but mentioned in the marketing stuffs.

2. And with the profiles, Jimmy is the older brother? I thought the Lees were twins?

Hell, I might grab this on steam, too! I hope that do a bundle with this and Double Dragon Trilogy. That fucking game is NEVER on sale, especially when compared to Neon

Kunio
, too

Yep, Jimmy is the oldest of the twin brothers.

StayDead

Amazing OT!

Two questions, OP.

Kunio
, too

Even if they were, you still have one person older than the other unless their heads came out at exactly the same time.

Oh man, I had no idea this game even existed and now it's almost out! How awesome.

As a huge fan of DDII on the NES this is insanely relevant to my interests. :D I was just playing it recently on my NES Mini thinking how much fun I had with it back in the day.

So. No Word about this beauty being released to the Xbox? Maybe later on. I hope so.

Yea it's really frustraiting, there is so much more 'indie' stuff on PS4 it seems. I own a PS4 so I don't miss out but I prefer gaming on my Xbox because of the controller and my invested gamer score etc.

I really wish MS would make more effort to get these types of games. >_<

@MUWANdo

Banned
I really wish MS would make more effort to get these types of games. >_<

It's a low-budget download game from a Japanese developer, there's not a lot they can do to get those kinds of games on their platform at this point--a few years ago, perhaps, but now that Japanese developers are finally coming around to PC they don't feel the need to prioritise Xbox anymore, for better or worse.

OmegaDL50

Amazing OT!

Two questions, OP.

Kunio
, too

All of this information is straight from the official Double Dragon 4 website. So the timeline is something entirely new.

Also it's highly probable that this timeline is entirely based on the NES versions only. Since the developers are using the NES Double Dragon II as a base for Double Dragon IV being a direct sequel to it and all.

PrankT

$6.99 would be fantastic, even lower than the first two games available on the arcade. I would be surprised if it's that amount, but hopeful.

OmegaDL50

I dont think it will, I think its a typo.

According to the Japanese Double Dragon 4 website, they list the official pricing as 800 Yen.

Which currency conversion makes that out as roughly $6.99

What reason would they have to sell higher than that? Especially for a retro-inspired sequel based on Double Dragon II.

Coda

I have a weird feeling that this game is actually coming out on Tuesday not today. Most places say it's out today on PS4 but I've never heard of the PS store updating on a Sunday so I dunno what to believe.

Z..

Didn't know about this. Huh. Not sure why they would go with NES aesthetics since the arcade version was infinitely more popular/iconic. But hell, still pretty nifty this is coming out. ^^

eastx

Has anyone gotten a review code for this yet? I wish I knew if I was going to have to buy it or not.

i'm still against Jimmy being in any of the games after nes 1.

That's silly, considering that Jimmy was only evil in the NES version of the first Double Dragon and not any of the others. And the only reason they made him bad at all in that one version was to be able to include him without supporting co-op.

Coda

Has anyone gotten a review code for this yet? I wish I knew if I was going to have to buy it or not.

I'm assuming review codes don't even exist for this game. It's too under the radar for those. People will just review it once it's out. I'm thinking at this point Steam is gonna get the game first tomorrow and then Tuesday for PS4. I tweeted at Arc System Works to confirm but haven't heard back yet. Was really looking forward to playing this today. :(

gunstarhero

Wow - those review scans for DD2: The Revenge bring back memories!

Can't wait to check this out - I had a feeling a Sunday release was too good to be true.

Nitty_Grimes

According to the Japanese Double Dragon 4 website, they list the official pricing as 800 Yen.

Which currency conversion makes that out as roughly $6.99

What reason would they have to sell higher than that? Especially for a retro-inspired sequel based on Double Dragon II.

Sorry, no I mean I don't think it will go up on PSN on a Sunday.

Love how they went with the NES style graphics, looks so good, in a retro way. Really looking forward to this, hope they can pull it off and nail the gameplay.

Coda

I wonder what the chances of a physical releases are.. probably pretty slim and much later.

Probably won't happen, but I'd be all in if it by chance happens. I'd actually be more interested in buying an official soundtrack instead if they ever release that.

Korigama

Didn't know about this. Huh. Not sure why they would go with NES aesthetics since the arcade version was infinitely more popular/iconic. But hell, still pretty nifty this is coming out. ^^
Fairly certain that the former isn't true, and I don't recall fondness for or reverence of the look of the arcade versions ever being commonplace either.

Regarding the lack of an Xbox version, not too surprising considering that it's Arc (who seem to have pretty much written off Xbone support at this point).

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Double Dragon II: The Revenge is one of the best games ever made on the NES. The arcade version is merely okay. They definitely knew what they were doing basing everything off of this one.

It's like how Capcom went back to Mega Man 2 for inspiration when making Mega Man 9.

Raitaro

I still can't fully believe that Kishimoto is actually directing a new friggin Double Dragon game in 2017 after only consulting on projects like DD Neon (I believe) and the upcoming River City Ransom: Underground. Cool to see him in the director's chair again as this guy has been very influential (though overlooked as well) on the whole beat 'm up genre (and indirectly the one-on-one genre as a spiritual successor to it arguably).

Just like with Wild Guns: Reloaded last year, getting a new DD is something I'd never have dared to wish for. Granted, a new one with higher quality sprite art would have been cool too, but seeing as DD2 is still my favorite out of the NES versions, having DD4 be a follow-up to that one is quite awesome as well.

My only fear now is that the new sprites won't mesh well with the old ones and that the mix and match approach in terms of the enemy selection will create a weird jumble of styles. The oddly higher res looking background art might take some getting used to as well.

All that said: I can't wait to see if the gameplay will hold up and I can't wait to listen to a new official DD soundtrack!

Fake edit: I keep forgetting that we're getting a new Blaster Master (aka Zero) by Inti Creates and Sunsoft(!!!) as well still, which is another one of those "I can't believe this is happening" titles. Oh AND a new 2D Sonic game that looks very true to the originals with Mania. Jeez. What's next, a new Outrun or Shinobi?

Real edit: oh, I fully agree with Man God (Shane Bettenhausen???) above me and - unlike Jeff Gerstmann who seems to prefer the arcade games (which I never managed to fully get into due to playing them far after I got familiar with the NES games) - also think that DD2 might be the best DD game overall. To me, it has the most satisfying combat (due to the hit sounds and special moves in large part) and it also has the coolest presentation with those dark city backdrops and the best setting with its post-apocalyptic (Escape From NY meets Mad Max-ish) tones and more futuristic vibe. I was elated that they included it on the NES classic in fact.

Top Bottom