• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Double Dragon IV |OT| The masters of the art of Ssetsuken return!

Coda

I still can't fully believe that Kishimoto is actually directing a new friggin Double Dragon game in 2017 after only consulting on projects like DD Neon (I believe) and the upcoming River City Ransom: Underground. Cool to see him in the director's chair again as this guy has been very influential (though overlooked as well) on the whole beat 'm up genre (and indirectly the one-on-one genre as a spiritual successor to it arguably).

Just like with Wild Guns: Reloaded last year, getting a new DD is something I'd never have dreamed up. Granted, a new one with higher quality sprite art would have been cool too, but seeing as DD2 is still my favorite out of the NES versions, having DD4 be a follow-up to that one is quite awesome as well.

My only fear now is that the new sprites won't mesh well with the old ones and that the mix and match approach in terms of the enemy selection will create a weird jumble of styles. The oddly higher res looking background art might take some getting used to as well.

All that said: I can't wait to see if the gameplay will hold up and I can't wait to listen to a new official DD soundtrack!

I'm very excited about all the new techniques, the amount of unique team juggles you can do is gonna be epic! And the background artist also was the character artist and talks about his hardships in terms of staying faithful to the older games in one of the interviews, so I can forgive him for being honest with his work.

I totally agree with never thinking this game would ever be made, so it's easily gonna be one of my favorite sleeper hits of this year. It seems like such a love letter to Double Dragon fans.

Zee-Row

Banned
Didn't know about this. Huh. Not sure why they would go with NES aesthetics since the arcade version was infinitely more popular/iconic. But hell, still pretty nifty this is coming out. ^^

I wouldn't call the arcade version iconic. The NES versions are what a majority of people remember.

Fularu

Banned
I recently found the poster that came with DD2 on the NES...
Looks like:

0NmGNAw.jpg

I want a clean print of that of just the artwork and title, nothing else... :/

here you go

cguP89i.jpg

steveovig

We're getting a new Blaster Master, really? Cool stuff.

At $6.99, this sounds wonderful. I was worried it would be like $20 or something. Very good price for what looks like a really fun game. Now, I just need to convince the wife to let me buy it!

Raitaro

I'm very excited about all the new techniques, the amount of unique team juggles you can do is gonna be epic! And the background artist also was the character artist and talks about his hardships in terms of staying faithful to the older games in one of the interviews, so I can forgive him for being honest with his work.

I totally agree with never thinking this game would ever be made, so it's easily gonna be one of my favorite sleeper hits of this year. It seems like such a love letter to Double Dragon fans.

It does indeed look like a big love letter! I'm excited for the new moves as well! It will be tempting to complete the game with just the spin kick, knee and uppercut again though, like I used to do with DD2. They've always been so gratifying to do.

However the game ends up looking I will respect the small team for their effort and indeed their honesty. I'm sure it will look acceptable at the very least, compared to the old games.

Love the OP by the way.

We're getting a new Blaster Master, really? Cool stuff.

At $6.99, this sounds wonderful. I was worried it would be like $20 or something. Very good price for what looks like a really fun game. Now, I just need to convince the wife to let me buy it!

I believe so, yes, Blaster Master Zero for 3DS. Here's some info and screenshots on the official Inti Creates website. The screenshots look promising in the sense that they're also keeping close to the NES original sprites, maybe even closer than the DD4 team.

Coda

6.99?! Holy shit. So wait, this is coming out today? We're the 29th...

It was supposed to come out today on PS4 but it's seeming like Arc System Works weren't quite sure when the PS Store updates. So it's either gonna come tomorrow or on Tuesday when the PS store normally updates. But who knows, it could randomly magically drop today at some point which would be awesome.

dcx4610

Double Dragon II artwork is proof that Jimmy won the battle against Billy at the end of Double Dragon and got Marion. I always thought Billy was the weakling.

Steam version of DD4 unlocks Monday in around 7PM EST apparently by the way.

I didn't realize how much I wanted this until I found myself stuck in a vortex watching footage of every DD game after watching this Double Dragon 4 trailer.

I wish this had online/cross platform support, but I am getting it anyway.

Coda

I didn't realize how much I wanted this until I found myself stuck in a vortex watching footage of every DD game after watching this Double Dragon 4 trailer.

I wish this had online/cross platform support, but I am getting it anyway.

Share Play is a nice feature on PS4 though the one hour playtime limit could be horrible if playthroughs take longer than that. They should at least give you 2-3 hours or no limit at all.

MutFox

Banned
here you go

cguP89i.jpg

The other logo looks better due to the kanji and colours...
Colour grading looks better on the other too.
Also no screens from a lesser version of the game. :p

Thanks though... I've been looking for a while.
Just want a nice print to hang.
Might just hang the one that came with the NES game...

eastx

I'm assuming review codes don't even exist for this game. It's too under the radar for those. People will just review it once it's out. I'm thinking at this point Steam is gonna get the game first tomorrow and then Tuesday for PS4. I tweeted at Arc System Works to confirm but haven't heard back yet. Was really looking forward to playing this today. :(

They definitely exist. It's just a bit hit or miss whether you get one or not. Given how close to release it was before Arc even updated the site with actual info about the game, it's not too surprising that codes seemingly haven't gone out before launch.

Bane

Game Informer's review is up. Doesn't sound amazing but then my tastes don't always line up with Tack's.

If you’re looking for a title drenched in nostalgia – right down to the retro graphics and mind-numbing platforming challenges – this is one you don’t want to miss. But recalling your memories of Double Dragons long past may be more enjoyable than this new experience.

You punch, kick, and spin your way through missions to get to the end of story mode, which only takes you a few hours even if you and a friend want to mess around in two-player action. The sounds and settings transport you back into one of those old games, right down to the signature clink of a metal bat hitting the ground.

The walk down memory lane is marred by the fact that it’s simply not fun. Double Dragon IV is a boring slog that feels like busywork with no real weight behind it, as you can continue more or less where you left off even if you run out of credits. Because there’s no real progression or development beyond unlocking characters, it’s jarring that even games like 1989’s River City Ransom give the player far more ways to customize and develop in today’s world of interactive entertainment.

Read the rest here.

Santar

As long as it feels like NES era Double Dragon it'll be fine. Every game doesn't need some form of progression in them, even though this game has a lot of characters to unlock so in a way there is some progression.
I actually played some of NES DD 1 - 3 today and they were all still fun.

Could the secret boss really be? :p

Lettuce

Game Informer's review is up. Doesn't sound amazing but then my tastes don't always line up with Tack's.

Read the rest here.

Well lets be honest that sort of review is as much to be expected, a DD game in 2017 isnt going to get favorable reviews what so ever if its sticking to the blueprint of DD2....but to me thats just fine and ill enjoy it

Lettuce

As long as it feels like NES era Double Dragon it'll be fine. Every game doesn't need some form of progression in them, even though this game has a lot of characters to unlock so in a way there is some progression.
I actually played some of NES DD 1 - 3 today and they were all still fun.

Could the secret boss really be? :p

It better not be, i couldn't stand him in Neon.......just seemed completely out of place!!

OmegaDL50

Read the rest here.

He makes issue about the lack of customization despite the game basically being like it's predecessors? It sounds like he expected something else other than Double Dragon, and came up disappointed because he got Double Dragon. I don't get it.

Coda

That GameInformer reviewer doesn't seem to have taken the time to learn all the advanced and expanded moves you can pull off. I hate when reviewers who could care less about a certain genre review a game, they just have no business reviewing a title which they're not into in the first place.

Castef

Banned
That GameInformer reviewer doesn't seem to have taken the time to learn all the advanced and expanded moves you can pull off. I hate when reviewers who could care less about a certain genre review a game, they just have no business reviewing a title which they're not into in the first place.

He played through the game and started to unlock things in the Tower. Seems to me that he played the game lot. How do you know he "doesn't seem to have taken the time to learn all the advanced and expanded moves you can pull off"?

Bane

I just posted the review, not saying I agree with it, expecially as it's not out yet. I agree with the above comments though, it seems like DD is just not his thing.

Castef

Banned
I just posted the review, not saying I agree with it, expecially as it's not out yet. I agree with the above comments though, it seems like DD is just not his thing.

Also, he wrote that:
"Even those new to brawlers will have no trouble completing the game in a few hours, with simple controls and mindless button mashing that works on almost every enemy"

If you have advanced techniques in a game, most probably you should be "pushed" to learn and use them. If you can easily defeat everyone with basic attacks, what's the purpose of special attacks?

(note: i still have to play the game, just gathering information about it through reviews)

eso76

Fairly certain that the former isn't true, and I don't recall fondness for or reverence of the look of the arcade versions ever being commonplace either.

NES version was popular in the US I guess. Over here no one cared about it. The arcade on the contrary, was kinda legendary; it was probably just as popular as SF2 would become years later. It would draw huge crowds to arcades and cafeterias and everybody was elbow punching their friends and relatives for laughs.
So baffled this is not based on the arcades..

Btw I recently discovered there's a PC Engine CD ROM Double Dragon game, that is yet another entirely different version from what I can tell.

Castef

Banned
NES version was popular in the US I guess. Over here no one cared about it. The arcade on the contrary, was kinda legendary; it was probably just as popular as SF2 would become years later. It would draw huge crowds to arcades and cafeterias and everybody was elbow punching their friends and relatives for laughs.
So baffled this is not based on the arcades..

Yup, in most areas of Europe the "real" Double Dragon is only the arcade one, it achieved some kind of legendary status. I guess that in Italy it could even be more popular than Final Fight.

eso76

Yup, in most areas of Europe the "real" Double Dragon is only the arcade one, it achieved some kind of legendary status. I guess that in Italy it could even be more popular than Final Fight.

It absolutely is.
And it definitely is the better game :p

@MUWANdo

Banned
Also, he wrote that:
"Even those new to brawlers will have no trouble completing the game in a few hours, with simple controls and mindless button mashing that works on almost every enemy"

If you have advanced techniques in a game, most probably you should be "pushed" to learn and use them. If you can easily defeat everyone with basic attacks, what's the purpose of special attacks?

(note: i still have to play the game, just gathering information about it through reviews)

Nothing in that review suggests anything about the level of challenge present in the game or the level of skill/finesse required to do well; literally all he says is "you start where you left off when you run out of credits so it doesn't even matter if you die" which suggests that he putzed his way to the end without thinking about what he was doing.

Seriously, he doesn't make any useful comparisons to the older games, he doesn't mention the two-player versus mode whatsoever... the review boils down to "it sucks, just like the old games" and "there aren't any RPG elements or character upgrades" which aren't really helpful to anyone.

Btw I recently discovered there's a PC Engine CD ROM Double Dragon game, that is yet another entirely different version from what I can tell.

The PCE game is based on DD2 NES with new and redrawn elements and (awful) animated cutscenes.

If you want something even more different, try DD2 for Game Boy--it's actually a reskinned Kunio-kun game.

AmyS

woopWOOP

Oh snap, I wasn't aware it was out already!

Guess I'll have to pester my PS4 owning buddy to get it for some co-op fun times sake >_>

dcx4610

Seems like tons of replay value if you can play the game with all of those characters. I'm a little worried about the review saying it took "hours" to finish. A proper NES style Double Dragon game shouldn't take that long. It might feel like it's dragging if it's anymore than an hour or so.

For 6.99, I just want a simple NES style game that is fun to play and has some replay value.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Seems like tons of replay value if you can play the game with all of those characters. I'm a little worried about the review saying it took "hours" to finish. A proper NES style Double Dragon game shouldn't take that long. It might feel like it's dragging if it's anymore than an hour or so.

For 6.99, I just want a simple NES style game that is fun to play and has some replay value.

For me, a half hour would be ideal.

That's about how long Double Dragon 1 and 2 took.

daffyduck

In North America as well.

Even Tradewest thought so.
Nintendo_NES_Double_Dragon_Box_Art.jpg

Brizzo24

I want this!

Crazy ?, but any idea how large the DL file size will be for PS4? I live in a place that has limited internet, but I can DL smaller things. I can't stream, a la Hulu r Netflix, but a smaller DL file wouldn't be a big deal.

@MUWANdo

Banned

It took him hours to credit-feed/continue his way to the end, who knows how many times he died or how long it'd take someone who knows what they're doing.

That being said, the developer said he had to draw at least twice as many backdrops and 150% as many enemies as would be present in a traditional DD game from back in the day, so maybe it is just a long game.

That's silly, considering that Jimmy was only evil in the NES version of the first Double Dragon and not any of the others. And the only reason they made him bad at all in that one version was to be able to include him without supporting co-op.

so you didn't count the arcade where you have to beat each other up till someone dies before it ends?

I'm hoping the reviewer was just bad at beat-em-ups (pretty common, really) and that the game isn't several hours long. Sengoku 3 is a great example of an otherwise solid beat-em-up that suffers in replay value due to how much it drags on towards the end. I feel like this game will be judged more on its inability to add modern mechanics other beat-em-ups have (progression, netplay, etc.) more than the art style. The average person will want to play this with an old friend who has moved out of close proximity, and that doesn't seem like it will be possible on PC at least. It's one of the reasons Castle Crashers did so well despite being a weak game mechanically; it had netplay and persistent character progression. Neither of those things kept me on that game for very long, but the non-hardcore beat-em-up players seem to value those mechanics more than anything else. If the juggle system is fun, not having netplay on PC will definitely hold the game back from the standpoint of a high level player/speedrunner. I look forward to picking it up on the first regardless.

man so many memories...
elbow = beat the game in a quarter =)

the hardest part was the brick walls coming out. it's so random.... once past that, it's smooth sailing.

Exactly. Elbow was massively OP. I had an older dude standing over my shoulder telling me I needed to use kicks. He shut up pretty quickly when he saw me tearing through stages with nothing but elbows.

Top Bottom