• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Double Dragon IV |OT| The masters of the art of Ssetsuken return!

Tizoc

Gonna wait til Wednesday before I buy on PS4, mainly because I want to see if they'll have a 'buy for $100, get $15 back' deal :p

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
I just did a quick play until I finally died.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7B_nJEB3rg

My general impression is the game's rather slow. Lots of dead space in the early levels. Then it gets a nuts with enemy dogpiles later on.

Also stupid cheap jumping sections.

In all not a bad game, but the pacing's rather strange. Also hella screen tearing which I don't really expect from a lightweight 2d game. (And it crashed on me in my second playthrough attempt.)

Nintendad

The screen tearing is terrible in this game. I got to the end of mission 2 and had to stop. I was getting sick to my stomach and couldn't handle any more. That's something I never had with a game before today.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
For some reason they were my favorite part of DDII. Are they similar?

DD2's were fair. These have shoestring timing and they aren't as consistent IMO.

The screen tearing is terrible in this game. I got to the end of mission 2 and had to stop. I was getting sick to my stomach and couldn't handle any more. That's something I never had with a game before today.

That seems to calm down in later levels. Less screen scrolling or something.

Skilletor

OOf, was hoping it was just encoding on Freshmaker's vid.

I will have to hardpass on this until that is fixed.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I just impulse bought, but now see these comments...

Well it was only $6.99 I suppose and I loved DD2 as a kid.

Coda

Yeah the screen tearing is bad, hopefully they patch it on PS4. The game needs a lot of tweaking, if it was tweaked appropriately and patched up the game would be a lot better.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Ehh, no online means I'll wait a bit. I'd use Shareplay but I can never seem to get that to work without it being a pixilated mess.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
What in the name of fuck at those punching sound effects. I could never play this game, I enjoy my ears too much.

And the music quality is really fucking sad coming from Neon.

The music's fine from what I've been listening to. Sticks to standard Double Dragon rather than going further afield.

eastx

Ouch, that screen tearing. I hope the developers fix it with a patch.

The PCE game is based on DD2 NES with new and redrawn elements and (awesome) animated cutscenes.

Fixed that for you.

so you didn't count the arcade where you have to beat each other up till someone dies before it ends?

The fight at the end of Double Dragon is a little bonus for players, not some dramatic reveal that Jimmy is evil. Clearly the brothers patched things up by Double Dragon II, anyway.

I believe stumbling upon your column is exactly how i learned about the PCE version :)

Didn't recognise the NES version hidden in there though,

Very cool that you've seen the column! Double Dragon II for PC Engine has a hidden sprite viewer that includes sprites for enemies who don't appear in the actual PC Engine game, including Right Arm and a few others. I always wished there'd been a way to meet them in-game. (Not sure what you meant about the NES version.)

Even in the US it doesn't make sense. NES DD was big because of the arcade version, not the other way around.

Agreed. Double Dragon was huge in arcade. The second game was decently popular as well, but Double Dragon III wasn't as widely distributed, and barely anybody liked it anyway.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
The fight at the end of Double Dragon is a little bonus for players, not some dramatic reveal that Jimmy is evil. Clearly the brothers patched things up by Double Dragon II, anyway.

Especially since whoever lost was clearly the evil one since Marion was cool smooching the winner.

Iceman2343

Neo Member
Protip for those that use up all of your continues before getting to the end of the game, you can select up to the stage you died on to restart on, by hitting the option button on the title screen until you get the stage you want. It shows up in the lower right corner.

OmegaDL50

Well I can confirm that Game Informer review was lying. The guy said you could die without consequence and running out of continues didn't matter, which is false.

I got up to Mission 11 and ran out of the 5 continues you are given. It's a game over and you can't resume where you left off, unlike what Game Informer implied.

Yeah that review is full of a bunch of false information and parts of it being straight up bullshit.

Edit: Didn't know about the stage resume thing (As I was making my post before that information was available)

The screen tearing stuff kind of reminds me of the NES scroll tear that happens on actual NES hardware. I wonder if it was an intentional effect to make the game act like an NES cart, if not, it's probably an easy fix because on stages with a lot of high verticality like the ones you climb ladders or do a lot of platforming don't have any tearing at all, so I'm going to say it has entirely to do with how the level scrolls when you move left to right. As I said, probably something that can be fixed in an update.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
The screen tearing stuff kind of reminds me of the NES scroll tear that happens on actual NES hardware. I wonder if it was an intentional effect to make the game act like an NES cart,
If so, the developers are nuts.

if not, it's probably an easy fix because on stages with a lot of high verticality like the ones you climb ladders or do a lot of platforming don't have any tearing at all, so I'm going to say it has entirely to do with how the level scrolls when you move left to right. As I said, probably something that can be fixed in an update.
Yeah it does seem tied to horizontal level scrolling.

Coda

Well it's clear that Double Dragon IV is no DD II which is a shame. I feel like they added so many moves then realized the game was too easy so they made the enemies cheap which overall hurts how the game feels and plays. Instead they should have given you less tools and made the game with better pacing. I just felt like all I was doing was getting knocked down over and over again, but then again I wasn't playing with a friend yet so it may fare better then.

eastx

The screen tearing stuff kind of reminds me of the NES scroll tear that happens on actual NES hardware. I wonder if it was an intentional effect to make the game act like an NES cart, if not, it's probably an easy fix because on stages with a lot of high verticality like the ones you climb ladders or do a lot of platforming don't have any tearing at all, so I'm going to say it has entirely to do with how the level scrolls when you move left to right. As I said, probably something that can be fixed in an update.

Nobody would put screen tearing into a game on purpose. It's universally perceived as ugly, and can also cause motion sickness. The more likely cause is a defect in the engine or a simple oversight (i.e. the developers forgot to enable VSync).

Well it's clear that Double Dragon IV is no DD II which is a shame. I feel like they added so many moves then realized the game was too easy so they made the enemies cheap which overall hurts how the game feels and plays. Instead they should have given you less tools and made the game with better pacing. I just felt like all I was doing was getting knocked down over and over again, but then again I wasn't playing with a friend yet so it may fare better then.

i kept using the flying knee but it would annoyingly fly me off a short platform and kill me. really annoying.

like the double dragon arcade accidental head butt that would get me into a troll fight with a local 2nd player stranger.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.

Actually, I felt like the game was a bit too limited and should've expanded the toolset more. This would've worked a lot better with a Super Double Dragon guard option for example. It's rather difficult to get up safely after getting knocked down once a crowd catches you.

Main downside to that would be it'd make the first two levels obscenely boring since you're usually pitted against one enemy at a time between long stretches of nothing, but that could be fixed simply by throwing more at the player in those stages.

Improved hitboxes would be nice too. I whiff a lot in enemy's faces and at the same range they have no trouble punching me.

Lettuce

Sad to hear that this game cant capture what was great about DD2......guess thats the nail in the coffin for any more DD games :(

eastx

I'd agree with that. I think the arcade version is the best version of DD1, the NES is the best version of DD2. 3 sucked. Super Double Dragon was awesome.

Technically, Double Dragon Advance is way better than the arcade version. But I suppose you could consider that a new game, since it's twice the length of the original. Double Dragon II PC Engine is better than the NES version, IMO. Double Dragon 3 NES, while not great, is much better than the arcade game.

Not necessarily. Neon failed at that too after all.

Many of us disagree. :p

Coda

The game needed a lot more time in the oven, it acts as a best hits collection and doesn't make it's own mark on the series.

It's really a shame, I'm gonna keep playing it but even with all the new moves and unlockable characters it just doesn't capture the spirit of DD II on the NES which is a shame. I'm kind of sad that Arc System Works didn't give this game the time and polish it needed.

Kyolux

I have this and it's so boring. :/ Unless it's the second one I have? I really don't remember.

in retrospect, the collision detection was awful and almost rendered it unplayable, but at the time the fact that it allowed for 2players simultaneously play was one of the few things I could throw in the faces of my NES owning friends as a Master System kid.

in retrospect, the collision detection was awful and almost rendered it unplayable, but at the time the fact that it allowed for 2players simultaneously play was one of the few things I could throw in the faces of my NES owning friends as a Master System kid.

i love the master system double dragon.
the best part... i can freakin jumping kick from the start.

Top Bottom