• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Double Fine Adventure ("Broken Age") Development Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mclem

Okay, Im sold, but I dont have a paypal account. However, my uncle has a paypal account. Would I have to be logged into his account everytime I wanted to watch one a piece of content?

I'm not sure exactly how it works out for slacker backers, but I *assume* it's a simple case of "Pay once, get a login to the forums and update emails"

I *believe* there's no actual locking on the videos, just an understanding that we're not to distribute them. I'll admit I haven't looked, but I do feel like people are being faithful to that, which is wonderful if true!

I'm not sure exactly how it works out for slacker backers, but I *assume* it's a simple case of "Pay once, get a login to the forums and update emails"

I *believe* there's no actual locking on the videos, just an understanding that we're not to distribute them. I'll admit I haven't looked, but I do feel like people are being faithful to that, which is wonderful if true!

Videos are private, and the only way to see it is in their forum.

There are around 20 videos averaging at 30 minutes each (some shorter, some way too long). It's easily 10 hours worth of content as of today, with more being added every month until the game is done and beyond.

Fireblend

Banned
Damn, what with the games I got during the xmas Steam sale and getting excited for The Cave, I totally lost track of this game. Getting up to speed now, can't wait for the next documentary episode :D with the amount of actual gameplay showcased in the previous one I'm expecting the next one to have a good chunk of it shown.

Okay, Im sold, but I dont have a paypal account. However, my uncle has a paypal account. Would I have to be logged into his account everytime I wanted to watch one a piece of content?

What you'll want to do is send an email to support@doublefine.com after you've paid, and include your uncle's email address as well as the email address you use for your own Double Fine forum account, and we'll get it fixed.

Oh hey Chris thanks for taking the time to respond! I just decided that it would be easier for everyone to get my debt card hooked to paypal. Im currently awaiting the verification and can not wait! I've been wanting something like this in the gaming industry for a while now, and its just a bonus that its about a cool studio

Okay, I just got done watching the first two episodes, and they were great! In episode 1 Tim talks about how going to GDC makes him feel a little overwhelmed or whatever because there are so many giants of the industry there. That moment really stuck out to me because thats how I constantly feel about my school work. I go to a university but I look at grad school and what other people in my field are doing and I feel like that black sheep of the family.

Of course I loved watching him to his writing work that was really funny, and apparently writing names are really hard! But yeah, two do down a lot more to go. On the forum post front I read Update 3 under the programming label and thought it was really well written and insightful. As someone who follows this industry as closely as you can, without working in it, I've always wondered what tools programming meant. I would see that title and job listings or in credits and just knew that their were these programmers that did something important but couldn't really wrap my head around it.

Maxrunner

You should log into kickstarter and check the updates. It's a behind the scenes look at the making of the game. There are also pieces focusing on the development team (Sidequest), and it's really cool.

Do they have all this condensed?lack of time is a bitch :S

Great new episode guys!

Slightly saddened the whole thing feels a ways off still, but the insight into the process, and the honesty is much appreciated.

That said, what's shown of the things getting polished looks amazing. From the stylized character animation to the environmental effects, it's coming together just stunningly.

On a minor note, I personally love how the classic adventure game font renders on top of the softly drawn fantastical look of the game. It's somehow both comfortingly nostalgic while bringing out the improved visual style even more. It's great.

Randdalf

It's great to see that they got over that bump in the road that was the funding and scheduling issues. From the short bits of it that they showed the game is looking really good, and it looks like it's getting set for a long bit of development making all the levels and art.

Haunted

If Episode 7 was kind of a downer, Episode 8 will bring you right back up.

The car intermission was fun.

jett

D-Member
That was great episode.
I wonder when will be getting the title or even an official screen. It looks really pretty in some of those snippets of gameplay we saw.

That was great episode.
I wonder when will be getting the title or even an official screen. It looks really pretty in some of those snippets of gameplay we saw.

We're working on the first trailer and public materials now. It shouldn't be TOO long!

sammex

That was a great episode. It really shows how much weight Tim has lost when it cuts to older footage and then the most recent shots of him without the beard. The game looks good from the little clips they showed.

thefro

Glad to see the new video after the break... game is really coming along now.

I do like the art style a lot better now with some of the effects and animations added in. It's a lot more charming than I thought it was going to be.

Corto

What is this "Overhaulin'' in my Double Fine documentary? hehehe Cool episode and great to see that Tim started a diet. As an ex-350 pounder (currently 210) I know how difficult it is to get there. Totally worth it Tim and if you exercise while you lose the weight that will certainly help with the excess skin.

Also, I knew that I had to day-1 Brutal Legend. Glad to see that that helps with Reds too.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
The game is going to look insanely beautfiul on the ipad so I think I'm gonna double dip and force my GF to try the game on hers.

Also dat Cave mural in the conference room. So jealous.

~Kinggi~

Banned
This documentary series is truly excellent. But it also depresses me. They do a good job showing the lives of creative people doing something they can enjoy. Makes my hollow shell of a life look like shite. :(

inm8num2

This documentary series is truly excellent. But it also depresses me. They do a good job showing the lives of creative people doing something they can enjoy. Makes my hollow shell of a life look like shite. :(

Me too. I wish I had focused more on creative passions when I was younger, and developing those passions into skills I could use for a career. :/

~Kinggi~

Banned
Me too. I wish I had focused more on creative passions when I was younger, and developing those passions into skills I could use for a career. :/

Its even worse when you DO focus on those creative skills but then realize you arent good enough to make it in a bad economy. You end up getting lost with no career because the one you went after failed, and you got to watch successes from the sidelines.

inm8num2

Its even worse when you DO focus on those creative skills but then realize you arent good enough to make it in a bad economy. You end up getting lost with no career because the one you went after failed, and you got to watch successes from the sidelines.

I'm sorry to hear that, friend.

I hope things work out for you. Don't lose hope in yourself. :)

I don't know if this is helpful or the opposite of helpful, but working at Double Fine surrounded by the other people at Double Fine, I basically constantly feel like a huge creative fraud who is about to be exposed at any moment.

I like this part from the show notes:
23:54 - An excerpt from Tim’s email to us regarding this shot: “John Romero’s hair blowing in slow motion is more beautiful than any Swedish Fjord! Career highlight for you guys, right there. I’m thinking new business cards!”

John Romero needs to do a kickstarter for the true Doom 3 or Quake 2.

Celine

Episode 8 is fantastic.

I really dig the art-style used in the game.

I don't know if this is helpful or the opposite of helpful, but working at Double Fine surrounded by the other people at Double Fine, I basically constantly feel like a huge creative fraud who is about to be exposed at any moment.
That wasn't my impression when you commented on the beta in the last episode :p

John Romero needs to do a kickstarter for the true Doom 3 or Quake 2.
We already got a true Doom 3 on N64.
But I'm really surprised no one of the old legends tried to kickstart an "old school" fps.

Salsa

Im okay with all of them really but I dont love any particular one.

I think Young Monsters is good, but it reminds me of Chuck Palahniuk D:

Double Fine's Young Monsters rolls out the tongue easily :p

Ceebs

Im okay with all of them really but I dont love any particular one.

I think Young Monsters is good, but it reminds me of Chuck Palahniuk D:

Double Fine's Young Monsters rolls out the tongue easily :p

That was the one I voted for, but it sounds like it may be a bit spoilery if the game goes dark in the 2nd act or something.

Instro

Episode 8 is fantastic.

I really dig the art-style used in the game.

Yeah with the game finally starting to really come together the art can shine. Looked really nice from what we saw, and that was all well from being finished too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom