• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dove takes a stand against overly sexualized women in video games

Spyxos

cnq9sl2z62uj.jpg
pBvppEC.jpg

Last edited:

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
These woke activists don't want to see the chasm between what women say they want ("More diverse body types!") and what they actually choose ("Tiktok filter that makes them look like super models").

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
The only thing I would change about that ad is to have a MASSIVE dust cloud when she lands the second time :p

Seriously companies, no one wants to play a tubby flabby couch potato that somehow just happens to be able to leap tall buildings, fight non stop for hours, and can bench a small truck.

This really does drive home the psychological theory that males take the characteristics of their toys upon themselves (i.e. they see themselves as Batman and act like Batman) while females impress THEIR attributes on their toys (i.e. Wonder Woman acts like the girl playing).

How else to explain that guys WANT a fit competent, awesome avatar, male OR female, in games yet anything trying to appeal to girls suddenly has to have every body option imaginable lest fewwings get hurt?

jason10mm

Gold Member
Thats what I was thinking what or who is Dove?
Dove sells soaps, moisturizers, etc. Just another legacy brand (like Bud and Miller) that had broad market dominance and now can only go down because of more competition.

Go look at Old Spice to see how a fading brand can reinvigorate itself without pissing any of it's customers off.

Dove should realize that MEN do a lot of the grocery shopping these days so even if the wife wants Dove....well, there are a dozen alternatives right next to it that DOESN'T shit on my video game preferences. Hmmmm, maybe that vet owned brand or the openly patriotic one...yeah, they all make a damned lavender scent anyways....

MikeM

What about fat men? I mean, underrepresented men? Kratos does not represent the fat dudes. Where is their commercial??

Oh wait- its cause men don’t care.

Perhaps they should put more investments into making healthy food easier to obtain, educating on the benefits of active lifestyles, instead of saying “its cool to be thicker ladies!” Everyone knows that heart disease is the leading cause of death in the US.

Mistake

It's amazing how the same segment that wants half naked "people" parading around children also hates displays of a woman's body in any setting that a hetero male might find pleasing.
Same old shit since burning bras. If a guy likes it, it’s bad.

Also, this is one reason why asian games are quickly gobbling up market share. Not as afraid to make character models visually appealing

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
stories 1000 years ago and today are about what you should strive for. Yes everyone cannot be flawless looking but everyone shouldn't be okay with being fat and unhealthy that is not what we should be teaching our kids. there is a big difference between having a different shape and being unhealthy.

Last edited:

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
It's amazing how the same segment that wants half naked "people" parading around children also hates displays of a woman's body in any setting that a hetero male might find pleasing.

Cognitive dissonance. The same people who complain that beer ads objectify women also say with a straight face that sex work empowers women.

MMaRsu

Banned
What about fat men? I mean, underrepresented men? Kratos does not represent the fat dudes. Where is their commercial??

Oh wait- its cause men don’t care.

Perhaps they should put more investments into making healthy food easier to obtain, educating on the benefits of active lifestyles, instead of saying “its cool to be thicker ladies!” Everyone knows that heart disease is the leading cause of death in the US.

Let me tell you, women don't care either.

Noone wants to play as a fat chick, not even gamer girls.

LordOfChaos

We're going to look back on this decade of body positivity and obesity acceptance as an absolute train wreck disaster for health and the obesity epidemic, with consequences akin to smoking

I'm sorry your feelings are hurt but there's no such thing as "healthy at any weight", no person on earth is healthy with an extra 200 pounds of fat to lug around

The other funny thing is that I've literally seen people post fat acceptance memes on facebook where like a morbidly obese woman was being hugged by a completely jacked guy lol, what's up with that, accept me but you have to work

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
We're going to look back on this decade of body positivity and obesity acceptance as an absolute train wreck disaster for health and the obesity epidemic, with consequences akin to smoking

I'm sorry your feelings are hurt but there's no such thing as "healthy at any weight", no person on earth is healthy with an extra 200 pounds of fat to lug around

99.9% of people are against it. 0.1% are for it. Most people call out fatties for being fatties. Somehow companies think those 0.1% who live perpetually on the internet, are their biggest customers.

This is like the gun issue and the Onion headline. "No way to avoid this says only nation where it happens regularly" to paraphrase.

The fact people don't see that corporations are only telling you this is great so they can shove more products that make you unhealthy down your gullet is beyond me. I've been overweight. It's not cool, it's not fun and it doesn't fucking feel good. But of course turning the copium to 10/10 and being lied to is much more convenient and easy than actually doing something about it. I'm not saying there aren't people with genuine issues that prevent this, nor am I saying people should be shamed and mocked for how they look but what trigger the fuck out of me is corporations lying to people with a fake accepting smile on their faces and the affected demographic actually nodding their heads.

I found it even funnier that they show the empowered girl character all happy and satisfied...laying in a fucking gaming chair in her depressing, small room like Cartman in that Warcraft episode. Her stomach is even protruding upwards like she's half laying in that thing. The whole idea of this being "empowering" is grotesque.

Top Bottom