• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Downloaded AOL 4.0 and found people still using the chatrooms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkFlow

Banned
The only free thing is aim and email.

to log in like this you need a sub, I think.

Oddly enough my dad still pays for AOL.

Nah, I made this account for free today, and I'm on 4.0 also. I did download that 9.7 one first, and it had a free account option at the bottom of the page when you sign up. So maybe that's what you need to do.
UD5L02s.png

ido

Nah, I made this account for free today, and I'm on 4.0 also. I did download that 9.7 one first, and it had a free account option at the bottom of the page when you sign up. So maybe that's what you need to do.

Nice!

Yeah, probably. Add me to your buddy list.

a/s/l?

Raw64life

My dad subscribed to AOL until about 2008 or so when I finally convinced him he was wasting his money. If he didn't have me he might still be subscribed to it.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
The only free thing is aim and email.

to log in like this you need a sub, I think.

Oddly enough my dad still pays for AOL.

depends on how you connect. the broadband version of AOL lets you connect without dialing in.

if you have an AIM account you probably would be able to log in with AOL, but maybe not...

dekline

I set everything up but can't get passed the age verification.

Something like "Status: 513 Misconfigured Proxy Route"

whatever

Jeels

Wow, those were good times. With the advent of social media sites I have to say, I felt more connected to people in the times of AOL/java chats /irc chats than I do today.

ido

hi gaf i IMed this GAFTimeMachine person tonight i think they might hax me tho

ad free, sleek ass UI all day

Wow, those were good times. With the advent of social media sites I have to say, I felt more connected to people in the times of AOL/java chats /irc chats than I do today.

I kind of agree. It may be because of my age, nostalgia, or something else... but I did feel more connected to people. That was without seeing pictures of them constantly, too. Kind of strange, but awesome. I'm glad to have lived during that sweet, golden era of the interwebs.

Cartman86

Banned
Is this like George RR Martin still using a DOS word possessor? These are authors who got into the tech at this specific time and never wanted to move on with the advancements?

ido

me and GAFTimeMachine found a game of thrones room and they are threatening to boot me right now.

This has been the coolest thing in the forever I really do feel like I am in high school right now.

Persona7

Banned
me and GAFTimeMachine found a game of thrones room and they are threatening to boot me right now.

This has been the coolest thing in the forever I really do feel like I am in high school right now.

post the pics

I tried this maybe 6 years ago and I trolled a whole chat room and I think I got banned. Pretty much everyone was in their late 40s.

Persona7

Banned
Where exactly did you guys download the client?

Does the latest one work the same? I think I opened a worm hole on my PERSONAL COMPUTER.

ido

Where exactly did you guys download the client?

Does the latest one work the same? I think I opened a worm hole on my PERSONAL COMPUTER.

Just download AOL 4.0 and run it in windows 98 compatibility. You can't be downloading the latest one... you gotta get on that 4.0.

ido

How about... one of the people in the GAF chat lives about 30 minutes away from me, and is a VR enthusiast like me.

AOL YOU DUN DID IT AGAIN

Acorn

The day msn chatrooms were killed it removed an easy way of meeting chicks to bang. There was myspace for a while but it wasn't the same.

MSN Scotland chatroom was like a dream for 15 year old me.

DarkFlow

Banned
We welcome everyone to make a AOL account tomorrow and come chat like it's 1998. GAF will be broken anyway because of E3, so what else do you have to do lol. IM Me at GAFTimeMachine.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Does AOL still require a plan these days? Or does the app just work through your broadband connection? Did you sign up for a trial or something? lol

nasax

In that reddit thread linked here, some dude said he was a byproduct of an AOL chat room relationship. He said he's 17. '97+17= 2014... Fuck I feel old lol. That nostalgia though like finding someone with a T1 line on Napster... just ecstasy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom