• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Downloaded AOL 4.0 and found people still using the chatrooms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkFlow

Banned
To contrast the OP, this is from there newest verison, 9.7 desktop or something.

cfbTU70.png

Csry7A4.png

Saganator

Try using the web browser. Or Web Crawler as they called it. Its weird seeing AOL 4.0 in a high resolution. I remember all the windows being all bunched up.

This thread is making me want to go find all the old AOL "progz" I use to use. I made a punter once, which I could find that.

My uncle doesn't have internet at his place anymore, so he often comes over to use my cable internet connection, and he actually downloaded a broadband AOL client to use on my computer because I guess the idea of using the internet without that AOL 4.0-ishy UI I grew up with is frightening for older people.

I also know a few people who still use AOL e-mail addresses for the business contacts. Terrifying.

Do people even know what chat rooms are nowadays? I'm guessing they just been replaced with texting, tweeting, and facebook timeline messages. Of course none of those methods really propagate meeting new people online.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
You didn't even need those. You could type /roll #ofsides. Can't believe I remember that.

Yeah you can also go to aol keyword dice I think and a thing came up

The dice proctors would calculate it for certain uses. If you heard of RhyDin, they used it in that realm of chat rooms a lot for combat.

Saganator

Yeah you can also go to aol keyword dice I think and a thing came up

The dice proctors would calculate it for certain uses. If you heard of RhyDin, they used it in that realm of chat rooms a lot for combat.

Ah I forgot about those roll playing rooms. I was pretty much a terrorist on AOL. I got banned at least a couple times. Sorry if I ever ruined your chat room or punted you offline.

Dishwalla

Banned
My mother still uses their dial-up services, despite how much it aggravates her to try and get anything done with it. I've been trying to appeal to her to upgrade to something better, but she still refuses.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Ah I forgot about those roll playing rooms. I was pretty much a terrorist on AOL. I got banned at least a couple times. Sorry if I ever ruined your chat room or punted you offline.

Lol, I was one of the ones going around terrorizing everyone too. We might have run into each other at some point.

I mostly role played as a shoe salesman selling spoons or something like that.

I haven't been punted very often, so probably didnt get that from you. It was sorta funny I had a Punter once and I would just find some random person, add them to my buddy list and kick them once every five minutes or something.

I remember having services like Juno and NetZero for a bit before my house got Comcast back in the mid-2000's. I kinda wish I could experience the late 90's internet.

dekline

i think some people have an exagerated sense of their own importance. nobody is going to go to the trouble of trying to find you when they don't even know who you are. you're just a screen name in a chat room. why would anyone ca

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I was the youngest, most malest, and living in illinoisest 14/f/cali person in all the lesbian chat rooms.

Kammie

Ah yes, AOL. The memories... so many IMs going at once. It was exciting since I had just discovered anime and was finding other people my age with the same interests.

I also remember how shitty the AOL browser was, it compressed pictures to hell and back to speed up your dialup browsing. So I'd use Netscape Navigator instead.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
See if theres still a sweet rollerblading chatroom where you can talk to other 13 year olds about how cool 69'ing is.

Also go into the metaphysics chatroom and start spouting some Timedog-ass pseudoscience bullshit.

Antagonize some hackers until they send you a mailbomb which has no effect on your 80's black and white monitor mac that shouldn't even have the capability of running a modern program like AOL but somehow it does.

DogMeat77

4.0 was horrible. Anyone who was anyone stayed on 3.0. Let me start up my AOL Hell and FateX for catwatch protection and let's do this.

ido

4.0 was horrible. Anyone who was anyone stayed on 3.0. Let me start up my AOL Hell and FateX for catwatch protection and let's do this.

I started with 2.5.

3.0 was the best, and I downloaded it and logged in as well. Chat rooms didn't work though on 3.0 :(

Only that sleek ass new ass shiny ass 4.0 can handle chatrooms now imo.

Amory

So weird. That was the internet when I was growing up. When we eventually got a cable modem it took me forever to figure out how to "do" anything without the AOL skin guiding me in the right direction.

OP look up the baby doing the macarena and do a search using hotbot.

ido

Keyword: ANT

ANTagonist game channel. Had a chatroom called The War Room made specifically for console wars. Everyone had ANT at the beginning of their screen name. ANT Missle(I recall it being spelled wrong), ANT Link, etc.

Also keyword: VGL

Videogame lounge, son.

Those days were awesome.

"Keyword: banking"

I still hear some ads on the radio now and then talking about keyword this or that. Reminds me of AOL. And I also sometimes do a double take and wonder if in listening to an old recording from years ago on the radio.

Oh man if you're me in an AOL chat room in 1996 then you should go into a Canada focused chat room for something innocuous like knitting and then just start yelling that America is better than Canada and Canadian beer sucks and hockey sucks.

AOL is awesome.

120v

i wish people still used aim regularly. i liked it a lot better than texting or talking on the phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom