• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Downloaded AOL 4.0 and found people still using the chatrooms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ido

Where you guys at? Been cruising 4.0 for days. Add me to your buddy lists.

Remember those "hackers" with 3-character lowercased first letter screen names?

Hmmm. Wonder if thats why I made this name subconsciously.

You should've had to experience it on an eMachines computer. That shit was the worst.

My first pc was an eMachine and my first isp was AOL.

jz7EAV5.jpg

Where you guys at? Been cruising 4.0 for days. Add me to your buddy lists.

Remember those "hackers" with 3-character lowercased first letter screen names?

Hmmm. Wonder if thats why I made this name subconsciously.

I'm still having trouble connecting to chat. I can log in just fine and even the mail part works, but for some reason when I try to open up chat or any website it can't connect.

ido

I'm still having trouble connecting to chat. I can log in just fine and even the mail part works, but for some reason when I try to open up chat or any website it can't connect.

That's weird. I know the browser doesn't work at all, but chats seem to work fine for me.

When you log in, go to People up top, and click "Find a chat" ... it will probably hang up for a minute or so, but then it should load up. Then go to user created rooms for the ultimate enjoyment.

X-Frame

Are there RPG or SiMMing chat rooms still?

When I was 12-13 I spent way too much time doing that. DBZ, Gundam, Star Wars -- even Zoids!

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Remember the fancy-schmancy people who had two phone lines — one just for internet use? I only knew a couple of them, but man, was I jealous.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Cybering on Yahoo chat as a horny kid sure did pass the time.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Remember the fancy-schmancy people who had two phone lines — one just for internet use? I only knew a couple of them, but man, was I jealous.
We had a second line for our Fax machine.

Every time someone sent us a fax we'd get disconnected. It sucked.

Fax machine.

Dad still uses fax for work. Of course the printer is much more modern these days, but yeah. Fax. It's so weird that faxes are things we still use in this day and age.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
We had a second line for our Fax machine.

Every time someone sent us a fax we'd get disconnected. It sucked.

Fax machine.

Dad still uses fax for work. Of course the printer is much more modern these days, but yeah. Fax. It's so weird that faxes are things we still use in this day and age.

faxes are used for a lot of things. also, e-fax is becoming a bigger standard. its kind of easier to just plug in a phone number and scan it than to scan it, attach it, and type in an email, and then send it, wait for the upload, make sure you typed everything in correctly, etc etc

phone number is kind of straightforward and all you do is throw the paper in and its on its merry way.

a lot of government documents are obtained via fax, i believe.

we had a second phone line for our internet. no way we'd be able to use a phone and be online (we were online all the time).

Shit, AOL was terrible for playing online in anything like Quake on TEN or M something or just plain using Gamespy. Pings were off the chart from the usual 200-300ms that other ISPs got me like Earthlink or even Netzero.

Hasney

My mum not only look uses the chat rooms still, she has a quiz not and hosts quizzes on there. Guess that's worth £9.99 a month or whatever it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom