• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Downsampling for AMD cards is now possible

havocau

Neo Member
One thing I just noticed with this, is it seems I don't have to run my desktop at the resolution I want, which is good since everything is tiny at 2560x1440 :p

Got my desktop on 1080p and just opened dota 2 and it's still set to 2560x1440 :)

scitek

One thing I just noticed with this, is it seems I don't have to run my desktop at the resolution I want, which is good since everything is tiny at 2560x1440 :p

Got my desktop on 1080p and just opened dota 2 and it's still set to 2560x1440 :)

Yeah, it's different from game to game. Alan Wake opens at whatever my desktop's set to, so I have to change it to 2560x1440 before starting it.

SLV

Seams like your GPU cant take it, or fucked up drivers, i have had problems like that from both of these issues.

Anyway, the GPU scaling is even better for games that only have 4:3 resolutions, black bars over stretched image to 16:9 any day !

coopolon

Now, if you're wanting a higher resolution, or a proper 16:9 resolution such as 2880x1620, you can repeat the steps above to create that resolution, but to get it to scale properly you must first choose 2560x1440, then from there selecting the 16:9 resolution will work.

Why is 2880x1620 a more proper 16:9 resolution than 2560x1440?

Mindman

Kinda unrelated but is there any way to make an AMD card upscale games like the 360? So if I set the game to 720p it doesn't look like crap because its upscaled to 1080p? The scaling option just seems to make it fit the screen...

scitek

Why is 2880x1620 a more proper 16:9 resolution than 2560x1440?
1440p isn't of royal descent.

Edit: 2880x1620 is a perfect 50% increase from 1080p, so that's why I prefer it. Looks like shit for some reason using this method, though. Maybe it's my tv.

Seams like your GPU cant take it, or fucked up drivers, i have had problems like that from both of these issues.

Anyway, the GPU scaling is even better for games that only have 4:3 resolutions, black bars over stretched image to 16:9 any day !

All games that need 4:3 are old enough to be used with downsampling, but with GPU Scaling on you could play pillarboxed by selecting a resolution like 1440x1080.

scitek

The image starts to flicker and there are "tearing" regions on the screen.
Windows Desktop and the games.

Mine does this when I try 3840x2160, and anything other than 2560x1440 is pixelated like hell. It may be the new TV I'm using, but I think SSAA Tool does better with higher resolutions. That only works with DX10/11 and is a bit more trouble to use, though, so I'll just be happy with 1440p. :p

Great, now I have a new problem. I think it translates to "not found". Well there the hell it is.

G3pZl.png
Reposting

Xyber

It doesn't work for me and I can't uncheck this box for some reason.
mMp2I.png

Edit: Restarted my computer and now it worked fine.

scitek

I opened the file with Java if that's what you mean. Will try to redownload.

Oh, I just tried that and got the same thing. Just double click the .jar file and it'll open like an .exe.

This is awesome. Finally put that 2 GB of VRAM on my 6950 through it's paces with my 1080p tv.

Dat image clarity!

Yeah, things look way sharper downsampled. Sonic Generations and Mirror's Edge, basically anything with a lot of color, really look amazing. Off to try Bulletstorm.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
That monitor driver made it work, but using the higher resolution made my monitor almost explode. I'll play about though, now I know it works.

Edit: Tried 3840x2160, first my TV almost died, then it hit a BSOD, not doing that again.

Jaxter09

A stupid question probably but would using this be a good indicator as to what games would run like on a 2560x1440 monitor?

I opened the file with Java if that's what you mean. Will try to redownload.

No thats not what I meant. The program is inside a zip file with both the java file and the executable, if u run it inside the zip file without extracting everything first it wont be able to find the other file.

scitek

No thats not what I meant. The program is inside a zip file with both the java file and the executable, if u run it inside the zip file without extracting everything first it wont be able to find the other file.

He right-clicked and tried to open the .jar file with Java. I got the same error when I just did it.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
So anyone with a 1460x768 monitor/TV work this out? I can't get proper scaling and all my icons looks small and games look pixelated to hell. 6970 here.

Nekrono

I just wanted to thank Scitek for this amazing post, you just gave me a valid reason to upgrade to one of the new video cards (probably a GTX 670).

Downsampling is AWESOME!

scitek

Yeah I am downsampling every game now, it just works so easy. Only problems are games without an Ui scale.

Same here. Most of my games either a) don't hit 60fps constantly no matter what on my PC (The Witcher 2, Crysis 2 DX11, etc.), so downsampling and having a framerate in the 30s as opposed to the 40s isn't a huge deal, or b) are still able to hit 60fps anyway.

Quick question, once I get this running I can leave my desktop resolution at 1920x1200 but I will have the additional resolution option available to me in games and the software will do the downsampling, right?

Quick question, once I get this running I can leave my desktop resolution at 1920x1200 but I will have the additional resolution option available to me in games and the software will do the downsampling, right?

Yes. However if you want to use something other the the two "starter" resolutions you need to switch to those ingame before switching to the new one u want. And since all games save the resolution u use the next time u start the game it won't work properly.

scitek

Most games, yes. Some--like Alan Wake--launch at the resolution of your desktop, so you'll need to change before playing them.

Ok, thanks guys, I'm looking forward to giving it a try. Hopefully, I can get Diablo 3 to downsample from 2560x1600 without too many issues. If it's hassle free, I'm sure I'll be using it all the time.

Ok, thanks guys, I'm looking forward to giving it a try. Hopefully, I can get Diablo 3 to downsample from 2560x1600 without too many issues. If it's hassle free, I'm sure I'll be using it all the time.

Awesome. Let us know how the 2560x1600 works for us who have "real" PC gamer monitors ; )

Sounds good! I wonder if going back and changing to the right res is going to mess anything up for me. Can't wait to try when I get home!

Wow that was easy. The only problem is that I have to play Diablo 3 in Fullscreened windowed mode or else it jitters (nothing to do with this mod) so I have to change my resolution before launching the game. Otherwise, 60 fps locked in with better image quality. Thanks a lot for bring this to my attention, scitek.

woober

I press Apply and I still get "Windows could not change your display resolution. Try a different resolution." Why? I don't seem to be doing anything wrong.

i8kt5GNNOKywW.png

Top Bottom