• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Downton Abbey |OT| Estate in Disrepair

Status
Not open for further replies.

jett

D-Member
LOL at this season finale.

I've come to realize that Julian Fellowes must be a gigantic piece of shit. Only someone that identifies with the megabitch that is Mary would make her the main character of this show. Not only that but he also gave her a happy ending while she conversely ruins Edith's life.

It's frustrating, but also kind of hilarious to be honest. In a perfect world, Downton Abbey would've ended with Mary being bludgeoned to death by her sister.

I know the Christmas special is still coming, but I really wouldn't put it past Fellowes to make Edith even more miserable. That's her thing after all. Edith, Downton Queen of Misery and Infinite Sadness.

Anyway, this season started out slow, but it turned out quite entertaining in the end.

Arkeband

Banned
LOL at this season finale. Downton Abbey: The Adventures of a Supercunt

I've come to realize that Julian Fellowes must be a gigantic piece of shit. Only someone that identifies with the megabitch that is Mary would make her the main character of this show. Not only that but he also gave her a happy ending while she conversely ruins Edith's life.

It's frustrating, but also kind of hilarious to be honest. In a perfect world, Downton Abbey would've ended with Mary being bludgeoned to death by her sister.

I know the Christmas special is still coming, but I really wouldn't put it past Fellowes to make Edith even more miserable. That's her thing after all. Edith, Downton Queen of Misery and Infinite Sadness.

Anyway, this season started out slow, but it turned out quite entertaining in the end.
At least we got two great scenes of Tom and Edith telling her off.

Megasoum

Banned
Wow... What an incredible episode. A fucking rollercoaster of emotions.

Fuck Mary

Poor Edith

I'm REALLY gonna miss all those characters once the show is over. I love Carson lol... Such an old grumpy guy haha

Jesus
FUcking
Christ

Mary is such an unbelievable bitch; how is she allowed to get away with this and get her happy ending. What this show does to Edith every season is such a goddamn tragedy. Does the showrunner think the audience is rooting for Mary over Edith? How fucking out of touch are these writers? Edith should have died to save her from this misery. To have a sister like Mary... I would have ended it years ago. Good riddance to this shitshow. I have no doubt that the Christmas episode will feature a pregnant Mary in marital bliss with her latest handsome lapdog while Edith tries her best to not kill herself after yet another marriage ruined by Mary.

BowieZ

Banned
Just caught up on this series.

That was one of the most rushed final episodes I've ever seen. Firstly the Henry Talbot story was so rushed. Matthew Crawley gets a fully fleshed out 3 season arc with an admittedly sudden death. Then there's half a season of mourning, followed by two whole seasons of Lord Gillingham vs Charles Blake. Then suddenly, within the span of like 4 episodes, she meets rejects then marries Talbot with everyone telling her he's perfect for her!!!

It sounds like the actors for Blake and Gillingham wanted to leave early so they had to rush a new lover.

HOWEVER, am I crazy or should they just have written it in such a way that Mary and Branson realised they were actually in love with each other after all? I honestly thought for two seasons that they were building toward this outcome, with all the talk of "equals" (and they were certainly that) and the fact that Branson was so adamant about Mary finding her true love that she may have realised that it was actually Branson who loved her.

BowieZ

Banned
Yeah they spent like an hour tying up the Edith storyline then rushed through tying all the other loose ends in half that time.

Apparently the series ended because Dame Maggie Smith called it quits, but why not kill her off? It would have afforded an emotional storyline, and anyway, logically, she'd have had to be 90-odd by 1925...

Dany

Banned
Yeah they spent like an hour tying up the Edith storyline then rushed through tying all the other loose ends in half that time.

Apparently the series ended because Dame Maggie Smith called it quits, but why not kill her off? It would have afforded an emotional storyline, and anyway, logically, she'd have had to be 90-odd by 1925...

This show should of ended by season 3.

jett

D-Member
Well that was safe and predictable but all around enjoyable, guess they wanted to end on a nice note. No betrayals, no sudden deaths, no real surprises. This show has had its ups and downs but I've been mostly entertained. I think I'll miss it.

Well that was safe and predictable but all around enjoyable, guess they wanted to end on a nice note. No betrayals, no sudden deaths, no real surprises. This show has had its ups and downs but I've been mostly entertained. I think I'll miss it.

Yeah, they didn't add any drama to this last special episode. Just upbeat and happy conclusions to everybody's story. I've had many issues with the show over the years but this was definitely a nice way to end things.

They were smart enough to know that as the show is currently constructed, it doesn't work without her character.

BowieZ

Banned
They were smart enough to know that as the show is currently constructed, it doesn't work without her character.
Eh, there's so many characters, I don't agree. They should have had Daisy leave (cos she doesn't age) and killed off Violet -- and jumped ahead a good 5 years for the final 7th season.

Let's say... Tom becomes a wealthy industrialist in London and hires some of the Downton staff to work for him (including Thomas who finds love in a factory worker, and Anna and Bates -- who is accused of murder again -- just kidding). Without the influence of his mother, and with most of his family at work, Lord Grantham feels left behind and begins to wake up from his aristocratic stupor and considers selling off the Abbey and its land. Carson and Mrs Hughes fail to make their marriage work and she plans to move to the city. Mary is more or less completely alone, and deeply unhappy, until she realises she is in love with Tom and he with her; she must decide whether to move to the city to live with him.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
now this is a finale I rather enjoyed. So sick of dramatic, edgy, bloody endings, let us enjoy a super flowery, sappy one for once

I couldn't take Mr Carson or the Dowager dying, sorry

BowieZ

Banned
Well, she was like late 70s (at the very youngest) in 1912. So she'd have been at least 90 in 1925. Her dying would have been the most logical plot point in the show's run.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Well, she was like late 70s (at the very youngest) in 1912. So she'd have been at least 90 in 1925. Her dying would have been the most logical plot point in the show's run.

i know, that's what i was fearin it would happen, you know, as a metaphor for the old England to disappear in favour of the new times. I'm glad it didn't happen tho, love her :X

vityaz

Yeah those final eps were pretty pretty pretttttyyy rushed. I enjoyed it though.

Eh, there's so many characters, I don't agree. They should have had Daisy leave (cos she doesn't age) and killed off Violet -- and jumped ahead a good 5 years for the final 7th season.

Let's say... Tom becomes a wealthy industrialist in London and hires some of the Downton staff to work for him (including Thomas who finds love in a factory worker, and Anna and Bates -- who is accused of murder again -- just kidding). Without the influence of his mother, and with most of his family at work, Lord Grantham feels left behind and begins to wake up from his aristocratic stupor and considers selling off the Abbey and its land. Carson and Mrs Hughes fail to make their marriage work and she plans to move to the city. Mary is more or less completely alone, and deeply unhappy, until she realises she is in love with Tom and he with her; she must decide whether to move to the city to live with him.

Sounds pretty good to me actually. Especially the part about getting rid of Daisy, not sure I can think of a more annoying character.

Lmao, is there any character with a worse progression than Daisy? Went from dumb and mousy to smart and rude. By far the worst character in the final season (next to Mary and Denka of course).

Just finished the finale, but felt quite unsatisfied.

Overall the series has been amazing. I just wish that they had spaced out some of the ending to some of the character arcs a bit better. I feel like they would have been more satisfying if they hadn't tried to tie everything up in the last episode or two.

I think it would have been nice to spread them out and give each a little more attention throughout the season.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Just watched the finale. I agree that the series was rushed, and that Mary's last boyfriend arc was extremely fast.

She is a complete asshat, and I'm glad Edith got to call her a bitch. It was quite satisfying.

I'm glad that it's over at least. The series was always "just okay" because it never really aimed to reach great heights.

Meier

Have really been enjoying this season but every time Daisy is on the screen I want to kill myself. They went overboard with her obnoxiousness and stupidity.

mr.beers

Just wanted to come here and say Mrs Patmore was absolutely adorable and hope she and Mr. Mason became closer as her last beau was a womanizer. I was actually pissed everyone on the show were laughing that her B&B was tainted and that she had spent so much money on it, poor woman, but Grantham saved her in the end.

I thouroughly enjoyed every season this show put out with exception to the Mr/Mrs Bates jail stuff I had a incredibly good time.

I still have a huge crush on Daisy's actress.

Edit: Shit! I forgot to mention Tom! Him telling off Mary was fantastic and told true, he may have been a shallow character in the end but I enjoyed his presence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom