• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DQM: JOKER (official thread of sweetness)

Aeana

Pureauthor said:
:lol at the dancing goblin... demon... thing.

Is it a DQ monster? If it is I don't recognize it.

dq38.gif

It's called 'Tap Devil' in the English DQ8.

Joe Molotov

LOL, I saw that commercial on Cartoon Network a few days ago. So dumb, but kinda funny. At least half the commercial is in-game footage.

"AYE CAN CAST UH SPELLL!"

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
thebagofsand said:
I haven't touched my DS since a few weeks after Pokemon Pearl launch..

That's your fault, not the DS's.

You've missed the following pretty universally liked titles:
New York Times Crosswords
Etrian Odyssey
Planet Puzzle League
Picross DS
Worms Open Warfare 2 (also on PSP)
Drawn to Life
Zelda: Phantom Hourglass

As well as the following titles that were a little less universally liked, but that I liked:
SimCity DS
Glory Days 2
Sonic Rush Adventure
DK Jungle Climber
Mega Man ZX Advent
Front Mission
Phoenix Wright 3
Flash Focus
Brain Age 2

Aeana

Well, it came out today. Did anybody get it?

I just started it, and I'm impressed with the translation. It looks like they've decided to take the British route once again. The text speed feels really slow, though. It wasn't a problem in the Japanese version. :\

I chose the dracky as my starter!

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Aeana said:
Well, it came out today. Did anybody get it?

I just started it, and I'm impressed with the translation. It looks like they've decided to take the British route once again. The text speed feels really slow, though. It wasn't a problem in the Japanese version. :\

I chose the dracky as my starter!

Slow text scroll? No way I'm going to suffer through that.

Tell us if you find an option to speed it up.

Aeana

FlyinJ said:
Slow text scroll? No way I'm going to suffer through that.

Tell us if you find an option to speed it up.

There's no option to speed it up, but it's not unbearable anyway. You can press A to make all of the text appear, of course.

Aeana

This game's lack of popularity makes me sad. :(

I'm even more addicted to it than I was last time I played, and have played for about 3 hours now. My current team is a dracky, a slime (named Slalin!) and a chimaera, all around level 11.

MrDaravon

I <3 DQ, but I've never been able to get into the Monsters games. To be fair I've never really been able to get into Pokemon/etc either though. I've still got this coming on rental though, I'll at least give it the old college try.

MrDaravon

Reilly said:
Anyone pick this up? What's the retail price? Any sales?

Retail price is an absurd $39.99; off hand I don't think any other game has even tried this except maybe for Final Fantasy III? Even Nintendo stuff usually caps at $34.99 at most.

Aeana

SailorDaravon said:
Retail price is an absurd $39.99; off hand I don't think any other game has even tried this except maybe for Final Fantasy III? Even Nintendo stuff usually caps at $34.99 at most.

I think Heroes of Mana was $39.99, too. It really is a dumb price, but I know I'll get my money's worth, at least.

Reilly

SailorDaravon said:
ok, I'm not paying $40 for this game.

I picked it up today and got a free screen cleaner.

I dont plan on playing it until tomorrow when I can play it at work and such.

i picked it up today after having a devastating gamestop experience :(

the dumbass didn't knew that they had a frebie for it.

then a girl came, while i was at the register and she kinda nodded towards me, and i said "oh, are you gonna pay?" and she just said "sorry, i don't speak spanish" (i'm mexican) so i was kinda starting to get pissed and i told her "i just spoke to you ... in english" and she just goes :O and tries to cover her ass.

Aeana

I just went onto the WFC and did 5 battles, and got a jumping jackal (eh) and a slime knight (yay!). I named the slime knight "Pierre," of course. :) The teams up on the WFC right now are all really poorly made... it's a shame. :(

Erdrick

I called EB this past afternoon and was told by the girl on the phone that DQM:J was not coming until January.

All I asked was if it had come in yet. I know she was wrong but whatever, I'll just try tomorrow.

I loved the previous DQM games that we got in english. I expect more of the same with this.

Dr. Strangelove

I'M COOCOO FOR COCO CRISP!
I only played for about a half hour last night, but I'm digging it. Great music and graphics. I'm hopelessly in love with the DQ universe, so there was pretty much no way I wouldn't like this game.

painey

I got this game
dwm_box.png

many years ago thinking it was a proper RPG but it was a kinda pokemon type thing.. is DQM: Joker similar or in a different vein?

Dr. Strangelove

I'M COOCOO FOR COCO CRISP!
painey said:
I got this game
dwm_box.png

many years ago thinking it was a proper RPG but it was a kinda pokemon type thing.. is DQM: Joker similar or in a different vein?

Yeah, it's the same type of game. It's basically a Pokemon type monster collection game with a DQ setting.

Munin

Picked it up today. Was surprised to see that I wasn't the only one buying the game as there were a few kids getting their own copies as well. I get the feeling that I'm too old for these games. :(

Still on the first island (Infant Island?). So far, the whole affair seems pretty grindy, and I'm not sure what to make of the Scouting mechanic, which itself seems to provoke even more grinding, but the graphics, controls and music are great so it's fun. So far.

What I liked about DQM for the GBC back then was that the breeding seemed pretty elaborate and I was always getting completely new and interesting monsters, whereas in Pokemon, you can only breed monsters of the same type. I hope this one is just as nice in that respect.

ethelred

painey said:
I got this game
dwm_box.png

How are the Dragon Quest Monsters games not real RPGs?

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Didn't get a chance to pick this up yesterday, I will be today though after work. Hopefully GS has some (new) copies left...

Cmagus

Erdrick said:
I called EB this past afternoon and was told by the girl on the phone that DQM:J was not coming until January.

All I asked was if it had come in yet. I know she was wrong but whatever, I'll just try tomorrow.

I loved the previous DQM games that we got in english. I expect more of the same with this.

I got the same answer when i called EB here as well

Tetsuo9

I just got the game, pretty fun so far, i'm currently on the second island. Started with a mischievous mole, the coolest starter :D.

Somebody knows where i can find detailed info about skills of monsters and combine lists?.

Top Bottom