• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age 3 PAX Info (Qunari, Iso View, Agents, Strongholds) [Up4: 14 & 10 Min Vids]

In DAO the dwarf you were around most was Ohgren. His voice was as low and gravelly as can be, so that's sort of how I thought of dwarves.. In DA2 though you're around Varric all the time and his voice would fit just as well on an elf or a human as it would a dwarf. It struck me that the game mostly doesn't show dwarves or elves or humans as 'sounding a certain way.'

Also, Varric doesn't have a beard, which would be expected from a dwarf. He doesn't tickle the ladies in all the right places if he moves his chin.

gogosox8

Are you mad? Dragon Age 2 had one of the most in depth, beautiful narratives I have ever seen in a video game.

I wouldn't go that far but they definitely had some interesting characters and were able to get some interesting stories of them but the overall story was kinda "meh". It didn't really go anywhere interesting. Felt kind of like a placeholder story or story you tell in a novel that would set up the game.

Gbraga

The reasons I loved Dragon's Dogma. Well can't remember if the protagonist was voiced or not but my statement still stands.

So do you guys recommend that I play both Dragon Age games prior to DA3?

Yes, but don't expect Dragon's Dogma. At all.

They're both great games and I love 'em both, but Dragon's Dogma shits all over Dragon Age when it comes to combat, if you hype up DA II and Inquisition because of real time combat you'll end up disappointed.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I wouldn't go that far but they definitely had some interesting characters and were able to get some interesting stories of them but the overall story was kinda "meh". It didn't really go anywhere interesting. Felt kind of like a placeholder story or story you tell in a novel that would set up the game.

It certainly was woefully underdeveloped. What was there was interesting on paper, but in execution it was just missing so much so that in the end the strings connecting it all were pretty loose and the ultimate conclusion was hamfisted and made little sense.

Well since EA no longer green lights single player only games that would mean we will see some form of MP. I have great expectations for that too. I loved ME3 MP, don't know how MP would work with Dragon Age. Maybe they could do co-op side missions for special quests and challenges.

Brokun

Did anyone notice how impressive the running animations were, particularly when going up or down a hill. Puts Skyrim right to shame.

Yes! I was loving those running animations. It felt meaty, like the getup he was wearing actually had weight.

Small things like trees blowing in the wind and the animation on the brush and grass looked great. I'll spend hours just looking at textures and rocks. I love those kinds of details. Lots of love in there.

Xilium

Well I've gone from "don't care, not playing it" (as I did with ME3) to "maybe I'll pick it up after I've seen the finished product".

I'm still skeptical but it looks as though they took the criticism of DA2 to heart (for the most part) and are actively working to not repeat that tragedy (but they make the same promises with every game they release). Personally, I probably could have done without the open world, looks completely barren to me, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now since that was an alpha build.

Well I've gone from "don't care, not playing it" (as I did with ME3) to "maybe I'll pick it up after I've seen the finished product".

I'm still skeptical but it looks as though they took the criticism of DA2 to heart (for the most part) and are actively working to not repeat that tragedy (but they make the same promises with every game they release). Personally, I probably could have done without the open world, looks completely barren to me, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now since that was an alpha build.

It's not open world.

Zukuu

Banned
Hope you can play on hardcore but can disable friendly fire. Seems that way this time around. Dragon Age 2 was unplayable with FF as a 2h character. Had to get a mod on day 1 (which was available in no time) to actually play the game.

Durante

Hope you can play on hardcore but can disable friendly fire. Seems that way this time around. Dragon Age 2 was unplayable with FF as a 2h character. Had to get a mod on day 1 (which was available in no time) to actually play the game.
I don't think giving the option to disable FF is a fix for broken skill and encounter design. I hope this time around playing with friendly fire was considered in the design process, unlike DA2.

Sentenza

I don't think giving the option to disable FF is a fix for broken skill and encounter design. I hope this time around playing with friendly fire was considered in the design process, unlike DA2.
Yeah, it's pretty damn obvious playing the game that it just wasn't designed and balanced with FF on.
Cramped camera, waves that spawn in the middle of the battle area making positioning almost pointless and when you leveled up enough you have these baffling issues like your melee characters one-shot-killing their own companions with melee attacks.

Anyway, it's ironic how they are going back to make the FF an optional toggle, when I remember arguing about this topic on Bioware's forums and being almost assaulted by rabid fans claiming that "making it a toggle would destroy the careful balance of the game" (?).

Ushae

Banned
Yeah, it's pretty damn obvious playing the game that it just wasn't designed and balanced with FF on.
Cramped camera, waves that spawn in the middle of the battle area making positioning almost pointless and when you leveled up enough you have these baffling issues like your melee characters one-shot-killing their own companions with melee attacks.

Anyway, it's ironic how they are going back to make the FF an optional toggle, when I remember arguing about this topic on Bioware's forums and being almost assaulted by rabid fans claiming that "making it a toggle would destroy the careful balance of the game" (?).

Let's hope the highest difficulty is a good challenge.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...base-camp-replacement-will-make-you-freak-out
Indeed one medium sized level shown off at a recent preview event in London is larger than all of Origins and Dragon Age 2 combined.

EucIfYY.gif

Hindle

Banned
I hope for some genuinely inventive sidequests for this.

No more fetch this and kill that guy or collect 3 of these.

Surprised at the amount of women in the audience. Quite a difference from your average E3 presentation.

Bioware panels are probably the only time when the audience is 50% female...which is kind of sad given how many games you expect to have talked about at PAX

Surprised at the amount of women in the audience. Quite a difference from your average E3 presentation.

DA (and really Bioware in general) has quite a significant female fanbase, especially in its hardcore factions.

It wasn't just the guys pleading for Garrus to be a romance option in ME, after all.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I hope for some genuinely inventive sidequests for this.

No more fetch this and kill that guy or collect 3 of these.

Yeah I want mini narratives that run along the main arc of the game that aren't just one off quests to go here and kill that guy or collect this thing. I really loved the serial killer quest in DA2. Stuff like that is great and its nice to have other threads in the back of your mind when you're following the main story thinking "ohh I wonder if I'll find more info about X here too."

We will be exploring half of Thedas, and be the head of a huge independent military organization, so hopefully we will be able to stick our noses into various conflicts of interest and not just be an errand boy and merc for hire.

Stuff like an underground railroad for runaway Circle mages and apostates. Or Dwarves looking to take back or find a lost untouched thaig to start an alternative to Orzammar. Dalish elves looking to set up a new homeland with divisions between those wanting to bring in city elves and those that don't. Shit like that which can build up over the course of the game and be affected by events all over Thedas.

Piecake

Yeah I want mini narratives that run along the main arc of the game that aren't just one off quests to go here and kill that guy or collect this thing. I really loved the serial killer quest in DA2. Stuff like that is great and its nice to have other threads in the back of your mind when you're following the main story thinking "ohh I wonder if I'll find more info about X here too."

We will be exploring half of Thedas, and be the head of a huge independent military organization, so hopefully we will be able to stick our noses into various conflicts of interest and not just be an errand boy and merc for hire.

Stuff like an underground railroad for runaway Circle mages and apostates. Or Dwarves looking to take back or find a lost untouched thaig to start an alternative to Orzammar. Dalish elves looking to set up a new homeland with divisions between those wanting to bring in city elves and those that don't. Shit like that which can build up over the course of the game and be affected by events all over Thedas.

the underground railroad quest is a good idea. It would give you the option of helping them, betraying them, or simply killing them all.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
the underground railroad quest is a good idea. It would give you the option of helping them, betraying them, or simply killing them all.

It would a great linking quest between various areas, and depending on how you handled coming across apostates or aids in the railroad you experience with the next group could be harder or easier, or just not there at all.

Helping them might net you the favor of apostate mages in your fight, but then it could alienate the Chantry and other persons or organizations wary of the mages. With then betraying them or trying to stop them outright could help you win favor with those groups, but then hurt you among the mages, apostate or not.

I do expect there will some dealings with Kal-Sharok the old capital of the Dwarves that has survived in isolation for centuries.

It's just nice to have non-critical path objectives that provide you with a story of their own that isn't required in the game, but does a lot to expand the world and expand on the main story.

Still confused by medium level here, being its open world. Maybe region that is artistically different? I'll have to read that link later.

Still this is the only game coming out in the next year I'm really excited for (well maybe Dark Souls II).

It's not open world. Think of it as very large worlds stringed together, but they're not technically open world in the sense of Elder Scrolls.

Midou

So the game that doesn't have tactical view is "archaic"?

What?

Are you implying that a tactical view IS archaic then? It certainly leads to deeper combat potentials. If I was playing this like I play Witcher 3, why even give me a party?

Midou

Ehh, party members still allow for varying up tactics and gameplay even if it's third person like The Witcher.

Worked well in Mass Effect.

Didn't seem to matter much on normal difficulty at least though, and squad based shooter and party based RPG are kind of different, one of them you kind of just need them to shoot at the enemy from behind cover...

Didn't seem to matter much on normal difficulty at least though, and squad based shooter and party based RPG are kind of different, one of them you kind of just need them to shoot at the enemy from behind cover...

When you have squadmates like rogues and mages which for the most part are most useful at ranged distances, it kind of turns out to be the same though as a squadbased shooter.

Some new pictures from the panel that show off the customization of keeps around the Dragon Age world as well as the agent system:

bil8VUr.png

fi8GQWL.png

OJxZILQ.png

Keep when captured:

Q9Bdsbg.png

Keep focused on espionage and spying:

FnlE3H7.png

Keep as a hub on commerce:

X3v4Zrs.png

Keep as a military base:

eT8DRLf.png

Top Bottom