• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age II |OT| The Revenge of Shit Mountain

Ratrat

dude said:
GAF is like that sometimes. I mean, I agree with Evilore on how shit this game is going to be, but if any ol' regular user did something like this to a popular game, they'd be banned in less than a second.

It's like amir0x gets to open a thread requesting people who are "social conservative" to defend their opinions and not get even a little bit of lash.
Did you see the Birth by Sleep Thread and Bayonetta thread? ppl are having fun.

Enosh said:
show me another troll OT like this one
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=384047

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
otmelg.gif

Salz01

lol this is awesome. After playing the demo, and reading through this thread. I'll just maybe pick it up at the bargin bin, or even rent it. I have zero hype for this game.

itxaka

Defeatist
Enosh said:

Dragon Age 1 OT by Evilore. Trolling but praising the game and pissing on console peasants.

Edit: Also, there was a Fallout OT which was just a picture of oblivion with some other pictures on top and guns. lol

eznark

Banned
Enosh said:

Show me another game so perfectly set up for an OT like this one. Ridiculous PR, simplified game play, significantly worse art style that its predecessor, build for consoles.....it has it all!

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Woo-Fu said:
Interesting how Bioware's dumbing down of a sci-fi RPG that started with Kotor and continued nonstop throughout Mass Effect seems to get a pass while Dragon Age does not.

Kotor was their first sci-fi RPG and it was dumb from the beginning. Mass Effect was a huge improvement. Also please remind me of other sci-fi RPG that was in 3D setting before Kotor.

I guess I'm in the minority when I say I can't wait for this game! Just because it doesn't look as good as Witcher 2 , which most games don't, doesn't mean it's bad graphics. Like I said in the demo impression thread, I'm not here to make haters love this game but I just want to offer something from the other end of the spectrum.

Zeliard

Woo-Fu said:
Interesting how Bioware's dumbing down of a sci-fi RPG that started with Kotor and continued nonstop throughout Mass Effect seems to get a pass while Dragon Age does not.

Did having the star wars license for that first console RPG let them slip it by? KotOR is the prince of darkness that fathered the rest of these abominations but came disguised as an old friend.

The difference is Dragon Age was marketed consistently by Bioware as Baldur's Gate's spiritual successor. It was specifically created to be the game (and what we thought, the IP) that would finally harken back to Olde Bioware. PC was lead platform on DA:O and built separately, and in fact, the game was PC exclusive till later on in development.

Those other titles you mentioned are console-oriented games. Different standards of expectation.

Brutal, as expected. I'm not nearly as down on the game as some others. I have issues and Bioware made some disappointing decisions but I expect to enjoy the game in the end. I don't think the OP of an OT is anything to get bent out of shape over. After a few weeks, most of the people, who want to contribute, won't ever look at it again.

suzu

OTs aren't only for the nice or hype posts. It's not gonna deter me from playing, despite some of the problems I or others have with the demo/stuff that has been shown. The criticisms aren't all some gaf hivemind butt kissing..

Anyway, more discussion will start when ppl actually have DA2 in their hands.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Woo-Fu said:

Did having the star wars license for that first console RPG let them slip it by? KotOR is the prince of darkness that fathered the rest of these abominations but came disguised as an old friend.

I wouldn't say it gets a pass at all. Lots of people attack ME for being RPG-lite. The backlash is intensified on DA2 purely because of what DA:O was, and how good it was at being that.

Part of me really wants to pick up DA2 but the rest of me can't figure out why, the demo was fine but it kind of felt like they were trying to tease me about something I'm not interested in. I guess I have some blind faith in Bioware to deliver something entertaining, but I've been burnt before.

People do realize that those quotes are taken word for word from Bioware PR/developers right? Bioware trolled themselves and gamers with this game. Evilore just put it all in one post.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Gully State said:
People do realize that those quotes are taken word for word from Bioware PR/developers right? Bioware trolled themselves and gamers with this game. Evilore just put it all in one post.

And the game will still be great.

X-Frame

Awesome OP but I disagree with every negative criticism of this game. It's mountains better on consoles (which is all I care about) in every. single. way.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
TheSeks said:
No. It's only okay to "troll the game" when these conditions are met:

-Your PCGAF (ConsoleGAF will be banned outright if they troll a PC game thread, unlike vice-versa)
-You're a mod (Amir0x trolling Enslaved. We get it, you don't like the game and think it's shit. Namecalling and insulting people that do is poor modship)

If you meet either of those two conditions, feel free to troll! Otherwise, you're fucked.

(USER WAS BANNED BY EVILORE FOR TELLING THE TRUTH)

/Sick of PC versus console bullshit. We get it. We don't care.
//However, this thread is funny because DA2 didn't really fix DA1's problems and "dumbing it down" really didn't help it either.

I don't see any PC vs Console bullshit in here. I see people that are upset that the PC version appears dumbed down at least partly due to the console focus of the title. there is presumably no reason other than effort and caring why the PC version couldn't be focused more towards the likely demographic choosing that platform, while the console versions are as they are. Why do they all have to be homogeonised?

dude

dude
The decision to have VA for the hero is so incredibly idiotic I want to punch all Bioware employees in the face.
And the goddamn dialogues... Like the first game wasn't bad enough that you had to shove some ME in there.

JohngPR

Personally, I didn't think the PC version was as dumbed down as people suggest.

It plays essentially the same and if the difficulty is too easy, play it on Hard. The first Dragon Age had tons of difficulty balance issues where it would spike out of nowhere or you'd get gang banged by 15 enemies at once, so I think it was a good idea for them to balance the difficulty.

I don't have an opinion one way or another on DA2 yet since the demo is like a 30 minute vertical slice of a 50 hour game, but I'm still looking forward to it.

X-Frame

ElectricBlue187 said:
Couldn't resist
That's hilarious. ;)

But seriously, Origins played like a POS on consoles. What console did you play on?

I can actually move my character around with a frame-rate higher than 10 fps during battle - it's glorious!

Also, huge tits.

11/10.

Painraze

Unconfirmed Member
Woo-Fu said:

Mass Effect was always marketed towards a mainstream audience. It is Bioware's game to break them from the hardcore RPG niche and open them to a wider group of gamers.

Dragon Age, on the other hand, was targeting the hardcore PC gamer who missed games like BG and the like. While it never reached that kind of greatness, it was still nice to see Bioware was developing a semi-hardcore game along side their action oriented space opera.

Enter Dragon Age 2... and, well, you know the rest.

JohngPR said:

It plays essentially the same and if the difficulty is too easy, play it on Hard. The first Dragon Age had tons of difficulty balance issues where it would spike out of nowhere or you'd get gang banged by 15 enemies at once, so I think it was a good idea for them to balance the difficulty.

I don't have an opinion one way or another on DA2 yet since the demo is like a 30 minute vertical slice of a 50 hour game, but I'm still looking forward to it.
I just need to know if there's auto attack. If not, I'll never play this game. If they're going to make Dragons of War or Devil May Age then they either need to go all the way with that shit or not at all. The demo felt halfass in that direction which really didn't sit right with me

Dragon Age II was alrite...but it felt more like Dynasty Warriors :/ I might get it simply because its fun but I have a feeling it'll get worse. Graphics at the start were lulz worthy, but were decent later. Still I'd rather just play DA:O.

Truant

WanderingWind said:
"People are unfairly shitting on DA2 before even playing it. Haters! It's going to be a great game!"

....sigh.

Yeah, that is pretty hilarious. You can assume the game is great, based on the demo, but you can't assume it's going to suck.

I think the hate is premature, but that logic is whack.

ElectricBlue187 said:
I just need to know if there's auto attack. If not, I'll never play this game. If they're going to make Dragons of War or Devil May Age then they either need to go all the way with that shit or not at all. The demo felt halfass in that direction which really didn't sit right with me

The pc version was auto attack and people were saying there's an option on consoles to turn it to auto attack.

Though I don't see how watching your character auto attack automatically makes it more of a rpg.

Vaporak

JohngPR said:

DA:O at highest difficulty was basically baby's first Baldur's Gate as far as difficult is concerned. It's really hard for me to imagine anyone would have a hard time with it on normal, let alone console normal. So, "just play it on hard" as a response to DA2 getting easier just makes no god damned sense.

JohngPR

ElectricBlue187 said:

Yes, there's auto attack and if I'm not mistaken, there's even auto attack on the consoles, it's just disabled in the demo.

I didn't personally think the console demo felt like God of War or anything like that, but it definitely felt faster than the first game.

I can understand their viewpoint. You can't expect to get a hardcore PC experience on an Xbox 360. There's only so many buttons to go around. :p

kai3345

Banned
X-Frame said:
That's hilarious. ;)

But seriously, Origins played like a POS on consoles. What console did you play on?

I can actually move my character around with a frame-rate higher than 10 fps during battle - it's glorious!

Also, huge tits.

11/10.
360. And it ran at a constant playable FPS and I enjoyed the controls much more than just pressing A.

JohngPR

Vaporak said:
DA:O at highest difficulty was basically baby's first Baldur's Gate as far as difficult is concerned. It's really hard for me to imagine anyone would have a hard time with it on normal, let alone console normal. So, "just play it on hard" as a response to DA2 getting easier just makes no god damned sense.

I played the game on the PC, not on consoles just to clear that up. :)

People of varying experiences play these games. I'm new to PC gaming and didn't have a PC growing up to play Balder's Gate.

Even if it's hard for you to imagine it, it's still there. I know I can't be the only one that complained about the difficulty of the first game here on Neogaf, and in fact have a few friends that felt the same way about it.

There was nothing "normal" about the difficulty in Dragon Age Origins. I enjoyed the challenge of it for the most part because it made you think tactically about how to take on a confrontation, but there were some instances where the game was incredibly cheap.

Coxswain

JohngPR said:
Yeah, I think there's a bit of Chicken Little Syndrome going on with the 'dumbing down' bogeyman. The game (on PC) is a small tweak of the first game when it comes to the actual combat mechanics (if the demo is anything to go by), not some complete departure. The biggest differences are the camera perspective (more of an interface issue than actual mechanics) and friendly-fire being shunted up a couple difficulty levels - which is an on-or-off thing. I'm assuming that if you're particularly worried about the game being watered down, you were probably playing on a high difficulty mode in the first game, so if you do the same in the second that difference disappears entirely. Other differences are pretty depth-neutral; tweaks more than anything.
The console versions have the stupid default 'mash A' auto-attack, but that's a toggle anyway, so it shouldn't be much of an issue in the full game.

I can understand being put off by the way the developers have framed the game, as their marketing is all nonsense and pretty stupid, and I can kind of see complaints about the aesthetic and writing of the game, because they are pretty dumb - I don't really agree that it's worse than the first game, but it's definitely a different flavour of dumb. The gameplay itself, though, I just don't see much of a difference, at least in terms of things you can make proper comparisons on from the demo.

Truant said:
Yeah, that is pretty hilarious. You can assume the game is great, based on the demo, but you can't assume it's going to suck.

I think the hate is premature, but that logic is whack.

considering I didn't like the demon, I prolly won't like the game

JohngPR

Coxswain said:
Yeah, I think there's a bit of Chicken Little Syndrome going on with the 'dumbing down' bogeyman. The game (on PC) is a small tweak of the first game when it comes to the actual combat mechanics (if the demo is anything to go by), not some complete departure. The biggest differences are the camera perspective (more of an interface issue than actual mechanics) and friendly-fire being shunted up a couple difficulty levels - which is an on-or-off thing. I'm assuming that if you're particularly worried about the game being watered down, you were probably playing on a high difficulty mode in the first game, so if you do the same in the second that difference disappears entirely. Other differences are pretty depth-neutral; tweaks more than anything.
The console versions have the stupid default 'mash A' auto-attack, but that's a toggle anyway, so it shouldn't be much of an issue in the full game.

I can understand being put off by the way the developers have framed the game, as their marketing is all nonsense and pretty stupid, and I can kind of see complaints about the aesthetic and writing of the game, because they are pretty dumb - I don't really agree that it's worse than the first game, but it's definitely a different flavour of dumb. The gameplay itself, though, I just don't see much of a difference, at least in terms of things you can make proper comparisons on from the demo.

I think that the majority of people's complaints stem from "Normal" difficulty on the demo being easier than the normal difficulty in DAO. For someone like me that thought that DAO on the PC got a bit cheap and had a lot of choke points, I don't mind a smoother difficulty. I don't see anything wrong with putting a game on Hard if you want to get more of a challenge out of it.

Hell, if DA2 is as easy on Normal as it was on the demo, I might even put it on hard difficulty.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Coxswain said:
I'm assuming that if you're particularly worried about the game being watered down, you were probably playing on a high difficulty mode in the first game, so if you do the same in the second that difference disappears entirely.

I agree that this could be the case, but Bioware could shut everyone up if they would just patch the demo to let us try Nightmare difficulty. The Normal difficulty is not selling me on the game and I'm not going to risk buying it and having Nightmare be a cakewalk too.

JohngPR said:
I played the game on the PC, not on consoles just to clear that up. :)

People of varying experiences play these games. I'm new to PC gaming and didn't have a PC growing up to play Balder's Gate.

You do now. Buy BG2 off GOG, install some mods and enjoy the best RPG ever.

Coxswain

Ysiadmihi said:
I agree that this could be the case, but Bioware could shut everyone up if they would just patch the demo to let us try Nightmare difficulty. The Normal difficulty is not selling me on the game and I'm not going to risk buying it and having Nightmare be a cakewalk too.
Yeah, the lack of menu options is a baffling decision on the part of the demo. I can sort of see locking the character customization as that deals with adding in extra assets, and the demo might be an older build, etc etc, but being able to toggle auto-attack on the consoles and the difficulty level really doesn't require a whole lot of effort and would go a long way to letting people make an informed decision about the game.

Normal is about as much of a cakewalk as it was in the first game; it's reasonable to assume it's going to scale up the same way, but it's true that you don't really know.

Top Bottom