• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Inquisition |OT| As the Blight fades, BioWare returns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zafir

Just got to Skyhold and I'm getting the Champion specialization done. I feel like no matter what spec I go with I'm taking way too much damage.

Ah, same place as I'm up to on Nightmare, though I'm a mage, not a warrior.

Having another mage along side myself has been helping my team to pull through thus far. Though it has been far from a walk in the park. Templar mission was just blergh.

Ahasverus

Hey guys is it normal that I had this table mission starting 6 hours ago and still has 6 hours left? Is it a glitch? If so it sucks because none of my "agents$ are avaliable due to these never ending quests.

Zukuu

Banned
So finally finished the game tonight. New quests kept popping up, I miscalculated by 1-2 days.

After I restarted my 50 hour playthrough, where I dabbled a bit into Act II's areas, to get rid of the gender and class bug, I have finished the game, knowing everything from Act I in 71 hours (so add another 15-20 hours or so for a 'fresh' start). That includes EVERYTHING tho.

screenshotwin32_0000_ciiyc.png

-from start to finish completely on Nightmare
-found all view points
-found all areas
-finished all war table missions
-exhausted all character dialogue and did all their missions
-completed a romance
-killed all dragons
-crafted the most OP weapons available
-finished ALL side quests (that I have found / unlocked) apart from this one (7/8):

It's definitely my GOTY. There was just so much to do and I was so immensely hooked for the first few days, I couldn't do anything else. A game has to be special to make me play it for 131 hours. I basically did nothing else in my leisure time (apart from working out, you never skip that!). It has its flaws and it's sad that Bioware takes so much time to push out a patch to fix the numerous bugs, but I'm still mesmerized how great the game looks artistically and by the sheer amount of content it offers - most of which is completely optional! I kinda like Mass Effects approach more, open up side content in parts, not everything at once, but it's a good way of getting lost.

I now understand why people were saying "Holy shit the post credits scene". It's truly holy shit, even tho I assumed a bit of it. I knew
Solas
was 'special'. Probably won't play the DLC, since I usually never play DLC unless I replay the entire game again, but I'll sure to read up what happens.

The thread also played a huge role in my enjoyment. Talking about stuff you love with other people who share that enjoyment makes it all that better. Thanks!

Rhaknar 496
Zukuu 390
Admiral Woofington 260
shinobi602 255

Now it's time for my Inquisitor to say good bye!

Apparently, there's a simple fix for party banter & missing music.
Access your Journal and check off all completed quests/collections/etc. Doing so makes a ton of 'Quest complete' pop up. I started getting banter like crazy and heard music for the first time.

http://www.reddit.com/r/dragonage/comments/2o2td3/everyone_with_the_party_bantersilence_bug_go_to/

I also found an amazing mod for zoom out using CE.

golem09

Neo Member
So, I'm about 15 hours into the game, and just got Blackwall. Now I'm wondering what my best party option for good banter would be with my dual dagger rogue.

As far as I read, Cole is basically the god of banter in this game.
I thought I'd get Solas as well,to have a lot of deep lore banter with those two.
Then I'd still need a tank, so Cass or Blackwall?

On the other hand I keep reading how much fun The Iron Bull is, and Cole / Bull / Dorian seems like a fantastic banter party as far as I've read. So could I make Bull viable as a tank in my party?

Will I miss out on interesting lore bits without the dreamer Solas? Or does he just run around repeating how spirits should get human rights?

Uthred

So, I'm about 15 hours into the game, and just got Blackwall. Now I'm wondering what my best party option for good banter would be with my dual dagger rogue.

As far as I read, Cole is basically the god of banter in this game.
I thought I'd get Solas as well,to have a lot of deep lore banter with those two.
Then I'd still need a tank, so Cass or Blackwall?

On the other hand I keep reading how much fun The Iron Bull is, and Cole / Bull / Dorian seems like a fantastic banter party as far as I've read. So could I make Bull viable as a tank in my party?

Will I miss out on interesting lore bits without the dreamer Solas? Or does he just run around repeating how spirits should get human rights?

Personally I found Cole to be fairly lacklustre, Blackwall is good if paired with Dorian, theyre always going at each other

Xeteh

Make sure to upgrade your armor as well. I wouldn't recommend Champion for anything but pure tank sword and board, if you're thinking about doing any DPS at all pick templar.

Yeah, I have been and the plan is to tank. I just don't trust the AI to do it properly and I while I don't think they're doing fantastic DPS its better than dying constantly because Cass/Blackwall don't hold aggro worth a damn.

Ah, same place as I'm up to on Nightmare, though I'm a mage, not a warrior.

Having another mage along side myself has been helping my team to pull through thus far. Though it has been far from a walk in the park. Templar mission was just blergh.

Yeah, I'd been running two warriors (knowing how not optimal that was) until the end of the Templar quest. Then I swapped in another Mage, though I might go with a second Rogue. It feels like the AI does a better job playing Rogues than it does Mages.

tcrunch

So could I make Bull viable as a tank in my party?

I've been using him as my tank on Nightmare (specced sword/board) and he's doing fine so far (through Act 1), and the beginning is always the hardest on the tanks. Go for anything that increases armor and guard first (so mostly that tree at the end, not the shield tree).

If I want to have Dorian in my party and he's a mage... does that mean I shouldn't start as a mage myself? I'd want a more balanced party, but are two mages fine? Tank, the ranger/rogue one, and 2 mages - is that alright? Or should I do something else as my custom character?

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
If I want to have Dorian in my party and he's a mage... does that mean I shouldn't start as a mage myself? I'd want a more balanced party, but are two mages fine? Tank, the ranger/rogue one, and 2 mages - is that alright? Or should I do something else as my custom character?

2 mages is the greatest comp you can have. It's what I run and even before I got KE the game was really easy on hard.

Xeteh

You're gonna have two of the same class no matter what you do and Mages are always fine to stack. Having 2 mages will allow you double the Barrier casts which is huge.

2 mages is the greatest comp you can have. It's what I run and even before I got KE the game was really easy on hard.

Oh that sounds good then. :p What difficulty would you recommend to someone who has never played a Dragon Age game (well, I played a little bit of the first one, but sadly didn't get very far - my PC was crap at the time)? I'm experienced in RPGs/action RPGs/MMOs in general, but I don't now how this game's difficulty compares. Is it something you can change after starting or is it locked?

You're gonna have two of the same class no matter what you do and Mages are always fine to stack. Having 2 mages will allow you double the Barrier casts which is huge.

Ah good point about having two of the same class no matter what. Nice to know about Barrier too.

molnizzle

Double barrier is most OP combo you can have. I'm into Act II now on Nightmare and I play in real time. Only go tactical for bosses. That's with Iron Bull tanking too.

two mages = best party.

Double barrier is most OP combo you can have. I'm into Act II now on Nightmare and I play in real time. Only go tactical for bosses. That's with Iron Bull tanking too.

two mages = best party.

I generally prefer playing as mages in games like this, so that makes me happy to hear. :p

Teknoman

Is there a keyboard command to use to snap screenshots when using the controller? Or should I just use Fraps minus the fps overlay?

Felspawn

Can someone post pics of a male elf in higher end mage gear? My new mage looks horrible and im hoping scrawny mctiny arms might look better in armorered caster long coat. Please

Oh you'll have fun with Mages this go around. You might want to avoid Knight Enchanter specialization if you want to keep the challenge though.

Oh okay. hmm, can you change difficulty midplaythrough or are is that locked after you choose it? Not sure what difficulty to start with really.

Xeteh

I generally prefer playing as mages in games like this, so that makes me happy to hear. :p

Forgot about Dispel too. Its pretty huge for rifts since it allows you to prevent a few demon's from spawning in and then rage demons love to buff themselves with a barrier so Dispel helps take care of that too.

also vivienne is surprisingly nice to cassandra and iron bull.

Vivienne would respect Cassandra for her nobility... and I think she sees Bull as a big toy for her to play with.

Oh okay. hmm, can you change difficulty midplaythrough or are is that locked after you choose it? Not sure what difficulty to start with really.

You can. Of course that'll nullify your difficulty trophies/achievements if you care about that.

Iron Bull is just a bro. I don't think anyone has ill feeling toward him or vice versa

molnizzle

You can change the difficulty whenever you want, but there are difficulty achievements for besting the game without lowering it.

...which doesn't really matter for this game because you're probably gonna want to play through it at least twice anyway.

Dresden

i love vivienne and dorian. they have such cute banter.

people shit on Vivienne for being a bitch but a bunch of the antagonistic banter has the other party member insulting her first. Even Blackwall is a dick to her. And compared to how Varric shits on some of the other NPCs, dunno why she's the one with such a bad rep.

Forgot about Dispel too. Its pretty huge for rifts since it allows you to prevent a few demon's from spawning in and then rage demons love to buff themselves with a barrier so Dispel helps take care of that too.

Thanks for the tip! :) I don't know anything about the mages in this game, lol.

You can. Of course that'll nullify your difficulty trophies/achievements if you care about that.

You can change the difficulty whenever you want, but there are difficulty achievements for besting the game without lowering it.

...which doesn't really matter for this game because you're probably gonna want to play through it at least twice anyway.

I don't really care that much about achievements/trophies anymore - I just want to have fun with the game. I might start with Hard and if it is too frustrating, I'll just lower the difficulty.

Zafir

people shit on Vivienne for being a bitch but a bunch of the antagonistic banter has the other party member insulting her first. Even Blackwall is a dick to her. And compared to how Varric shits on some of the other NPCs, dunno why she's the one with such a bad rep.

Yeah, I'm not quite sure I get it. She has some sound reasoning for her beliefs when you talk to her to be fair.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I've been looking for this info for ages and I'm sure I wasn't the only one:

Strength
0.5% Attack (Warrior only)
1% Guard Damage Bonus
Dexterity
0.5% Attack (Rogue only)
1% Crit Damage Bonus
Magic
0.5% Attack (Mage only)
1% Barrier Damage Bonus
Cunning
0.5% Crit Chance
0.5% Range Defense
Willpower
0.5% Attack
0.5% Magic Defense
Constitution
5 Health
0.5% Melee Defense

source: http://forum.bioware.com/topic/526341-guide-attributes-theorycrafting-testing/

Should help in terms of determining what enhancements to put on upgrades

also "ranked" by the author:

Flanking damage % is best stat If a DPS in a flanking position. Otherwise it's worthless.
Crafting Priority:
3% Flanking Dmg > 1.75% Attack > 3% Armor Pen > 1.75% Crit Chance = 1.75 Dexterity (rogue) >1.75 Willpower > 1.75 Magic (mage) = 1.75 Strength (warrior) > > 1.75 Cunning > 3% Crit Dmg > 3% Barrier Dmg > 3% Guard Dmg

They wake up if they take damage. The AI makes a mess of it often but if you're playing the Rogue you can tend to open with FD and get a sleep off before they can screw it up... unless they have Chain Lightning.

Hmm, okay thanks. Guess I won't be getting that talent.

That one and the +upgrade for Long Shot seem really bad. The Long Shot one just seems super situational and rare.

Boss Man

This game is very very good so far. I went to a place and got killed. A thing actually killed me because it was too strong. I'm playing on Hard, but still.

I can't believe it. There's a place that I'm not strong enough for yet. I have to get stronger and go to that place later, which is exciting. I don't remember the last time a game let go of my hand.

I'm only ten hours in, but I feel like there is zero wit in the dialogue compared to DA1 and even 2. Is that a common complaint with this game so far? The writing is just so on the nose every single time.

I'm only ten hours in, but I feel like there is zero wit in the dialogue compared to DA1 and even 2. Is that a common complaint with this game so far? The writing is just so on the nose every single time.

Have you met the Quizisitioner yet? That'll get your wits and breeches about, mate. How about Sera?

I haven't seen complaints about the dialog at all; if anything, a lot of people praise the banter between your party members.

It's largely in the passive companion banter, I'd say. Some of the examples posted on here have been fantastic, and I've heard some good stuff myself.

Yeah, I'm not quite sure I get it. She has some sound reasoning for her beliefs when you talk to her to be fair.
My dear, the reason is clear.

Special C

2 mages is a good setup but you can have more gear variety going with 2 Warriors or 2 Rogues because you can go with 2h/1h + sheild or bow/dual daggers. 2 Mages just isn't as interesting to me.

Bessy67

You need Dorian for the wit and Vivienne for the sass. Oh, and Sera for the crazy.

Special C

I've changed more than I thought.

Cass/Varric/Solas -Starting
Cass/Sera/Solas- Respec'd Sera to Dual Daggers because I was an Archer
Blackwall/Sera/Solas- After Getting Blackwall
Blackwall/Sera/Dorian- After Getting Dorian
Blackwall/Bull/Dorian- After Getting Bull
Blackwall/Cole/Dorian- This became my main group after Act 1 finished.
Blackwall/Sera/Solas- Switched to this for Exalted Plains. Thought it would be cool to have elves in my Party for this zone, Plus Solas Quest
Blackwall/Cole/Dorian- Back to my main group

Never used that beyotch Vivinne.

Indeed, she's so pure inside.
Too bad my Inquisitor is a woman, and
she rejected me right after that scene.
I'll definitely role a male inquisitor on my second playthrough.

I romanced Cassandra and let me tell ya, she likes
the D

I've changed more than I thought.

Cass/Varric/Solas -Starting
Cass/Sera/Solas- Respec'd Sera to Dual Daggers because I was an Archer
Blackwall/Sera/Solas- After Getting Blackwall
Blackwall/Sera/Dorian- After Getting Dorian
Blackwall/Bull/Dorian- After Getting Bull
Blackwall/Cole/Dorian- This became my main group after Act 1 finished.
Blackwall/Sera/Solas- Switched to this for Exalted Plains. Thought it would be cool to have elves in my Party for this zone, Plus Solas Quest
Blackwall/Cole/Dorian- Back to my main group

Never used that beyotch Vivinne.

That's too bad, dear. She's fabulous.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Just got fucked:

Loot I need to continue just fell into the ceiling. I am completely stuck. The only save I have from before it is like 50 minutes behind. Fucking great. Any clipping cheats out there so I can just walk through the locked door without the key?

I had to do 3 hours once due to a quest bug... 50 min isn't too bad hombre :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom