• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Inquisition |OT2| Leave the damn Hinterlands!

Is there anywhere to see which dragons you have left to kill? I'm missing one more and don't know where it is. I remember at the start of the game I saw one fighting a giant, but I don't remember where that was. Was that one I can kill, if so, where the hell was that at?

Saw one fighting a giant in Storm Coast. Flew away, no idea if and where you can fight it.

Edit: Here's some screenshots, quality as mentioned kinda crappy, but daaamn I love the Exalted Plains:

dragonage_inquisition5xje6.jpg

dragonage_inquisitionu7uaf.jpg

dragonage_inquisitionzzu48.jpg

leng jai

I really need to get out of the Hinterlands. The shots of the other other areas in the screenshot thread look way better.

Citadel

Is there anywhere to see which dragons you have left to kill? I'm missing one more and don't know where it is. I remember at the start of the game I saw one fighting a giant, but I don't remember where that was. Was that one I can kill, if so, where the hell was that at?

If I remember correctly, that was in the Storm Coast.

I really need to get out of the Hinterlands. The shots of the other other areas in the screenshot thread look way better.
Yes you do... Emprise du Lion & Hissing Wastes are my personal favorites... Beautiful environments.

Xeteh

That was at the Storm Coast. It is one you can kill.

Edit: I couldn't be any more slow.

There are some fucking amazing look areas.

Saw one fighting a giant in Storm Coast. Flew away, no idea if and where you can fight it.

If I remember correctly, that was in the Storm Coast.

That was at the Storm Coast. It is one you can kill.

Thanks. Time to go hunting.

You take a boat to get to it, the boat is in the red lyrium cave towards the end of the storm coast. Dragon is level 19.

Hmm. I seem to recall taking a boat to another area with a dragon once already. Maybe I've already fought this one. Guess I'll find out.

Moff

stormcoast in the part that needs to be unlocked first on the war table. something with red templars.

xCobalt

Any tips before I start the Winter Palace quest? Seems like people had a lot of issues with this one. Not technical ones, just general annoyances.

Citadel

I have a question regarding the main story, for those who have finished the game / multiple playthroughs...

I sided with
the mages
at the beginning of the game ... If I instead seek out
the Templars
, will that change the overall main plot?

Any tips before I start the Winter Palace quest? Seems like people had a lot of issues with this one. Not technical ones, just general annoyances.

Yes -- Don't be afraid to take your time and search everything... You'll have more time than you think.

Guys.

This game is too fucking big.

At 40 hours now and I've stopped doing all the little collectathon things to try and speed it along.

Do a save early on. Do the whole thing, see what's going on. Then reload and redo it. That is, if you didn't get what you wanted. If you don't care about the sidequests and stuff there's no real reason, if you want to get the 2 collection quests done though you'll need to know exactly what to do. Alternatively follow a guide, though that would spoil some of the events there.

On the subject of schematics, some schematics are set to drop only in certain places or only be sold in certain places(such as runes, potion recipes, bianca upgrades, masterwork stuff). However most of the armor/weapon/upgrades ones are random drops, mostly from chests and some can also be bought. You can only have one schematics for any specific item, if a schematic sold by a vendor is randomly generated in a chest and you loot it, it disappears from the vendor list(I've confirmed that myself). That also means if you buy all the schematics, you reduce the pool of available schematics to drop from chests, which might give you stuff that was missing on the vendor.

For example I have all the T2 schematics I think, I went through several zones without seeing a single one drop(when usually they're relatively common). As soon as I hit T3 areas though, it was schematics raining from the sky again. Masterwork schematics I believe only drop in specific locations, though I'm not 100% sure of that, they could just be very rare as random drops.

If you want to farm all T3 schematics, you'll most likely want to buy as many as possible and leave some chests unlooted. If a chest isn't entirely looted, it resets its content when you reload it by leaving the zone. This means the best way to farm schematics is to find an area with a lot of chests, like these small mini dungeons, open the chests, then only loot schematics(and only if they have another item left in the chest after), then leave them. This way you can farm all schematics fairly easily. If you were to open every chests in the game, I don't think you'd be able to farm schematics anymore, as the droprate on mobs is inexistent/very low.

11 hours in and I'm still in Hinterlands. I selected the mages but returned to Hinterlands lol

I've left and done a few other areas (the Storm coast and the swamp area), but I just keep on coming back to the Hinterlands! :D

I haven't even sided with Mages or Templars yet, but I can make that choice whenever I want. I've only got ONE MORE cave/mission to do and I should be ready to head up to Redcliff (and get the last few shards in the area).

jgwhiteus

I caved and used the "Duplicate Valuables" bug / cheat that someone found on Reddit (apparently a similar bug existed in DA:O and DA2... convenient, I guess).
http://www.reddit.com/r/dragonage/comments/2n8u16/spoilers_ps4_duplicate_glitch_found/

It's listed for PS4, but works on PC as well.

If you're later in the game and want to cross off some open Requisitions, but the enemies that drop the materials you need to complete the Requisitions no longer spawn (because you've cleared the area), you can duplicate the necessary materials at any merchant stall. You're out of luck if you don't have the item at all, though. From my testing it only works to duplicate crafting materials, though, and not actual Valuables (like unique gems).

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
You know that feeling where you managed to beat level 12 rift with a party of level 6 characters? With that fucking Desire Demons floating around Kamehame-ing everybody to oblivion?

That feeling is GOOD. Even though all my party members in the end bloodied beyond measure, lol.

Kenaras

I'm a 2h Warrior at the beginning of the game. What in the fuck should I be focusing on? I got the chain, and one move as an upgrade let's me do knockdowns but those rarely happen unless my chain delivers it, and I don't wanna be reliant on that.

What do I do, GAF? How do I make this guy the damaging monster he's suppose to be?

Charging Bull in the Vanguard tree. Low cost, low cooldown, AoE knockdown, builds guard. Against a medium-sized group, one usage can bring you from zero guard to full guard.

Between Charging Bull and Block & Slash, knockdowns are easy to get. You can then follow up with a big Mighty Blow. If you really need to control an enemy, you can use Mighty Blow for an extra knockdown instead of extra damage.

Later on, Earthshaking Strike is crazy. The description sounds mediocre, and without the upgrade it is indeed terrible. That upgrade actually results in massive damage, though—so much that it almost seems bugged.

KJRage

I'm stuck on the
Aspect of the Nightmare
part in nightmare difficulty. Of course, like an idiot, I didn't make a save before and I can't go back to my previous save because it is from 20 hours before.

The constant adds is driving me crazy and I don't want to turn down the difficulty because I was hoping to go for the trophy.

Have IB, Cassandra, and Dorian in my party. I am a rogue archer. Any advice as far as the boss, or a good spec for either of those characters? Thanks for any help

Ploid 3.0

Just had a awesome PUG Perilous party. Beat it our first run and just kept the party going and even had fun with Alchemist's Elemental Mines + Pull of the Abyss + Disruption Field (tome stop bubble) combo which made the elemental mines float in mid air moving in slow motion. So pretty, so ineffective.

Keeper is fun, fun is keeper. It feels very useful, though I still get the least rank because I'm busy taking care of people. I'm a awesome raiser if anyone should fall on the boss.

Perilous is so good for exp and money. Loot everywhere, and the chests seem to cough up items more often than not or maybe it was just luck, would rather money though. It was good for mats at least. Nothing ever wasted.

wolfhowwl

Banned
Just had a awesome PUG Perilous party. Beat it our first run and just kept the party going and even had fun with Alchemist's Elemental Mines + Pull of the Abyss + Disruption Field (tome stop bubble) combo which made the elemental mines float in mid air moving in slow motion. So pretty, so ineffective.

Keeper is fun, fun is keeper. It feels very useful, though I still get the least rank because I'm busy taking care of people. I'm a awesome raiser if anyone should fall on the boss.

Perilous is so good for exp and money. Loot everywhere, and the chests seem to cough up items more often than not or maybe it was just luck, would rather money though. It was good for mats at least. Nothing ever wasted.

Is holding the entry room on the final area pretty much what everyone is doing?

Dead

well not really...yet
This game is ridiculous lol

Just when I think I've covered all of the emerald graves, I stumbe upon a castle which is yet another dungeon lol

Whoever said the game was comically huge was right on the money

molnizzle

Nope, random. I once found a tier 2 staff 5 minutes into the Hinterlands, never happened in any subsequent playthrough.

Hmm, well the vendors are at least static. They get new stock (and there are sometimes new vendors) after clearing story missions. It's obviously static, they'll get a new set of armor for all 3 classes at the appropriate level of the story. Since the quality of the gear you craft is completely based on the materials you use, that should be more than enough even if you're really unlucky.

Either way, the point is you shouldn't buy armor or weapons ever. =P

Zafir

I have a question regarding the main story, for those who have finished the game / multiple playthroughs...

I sided with
the mages
at the beginning of the game ... If I instead seek out
the Templars
, will that change the overall main plot?
Nah, it only slightly changes. It's nothing like Witcher 2's Act 1 choice, that's for sure.

Ploid 3.0

I'm stuck on the
Aspect of the Nightmare
part in nightmare difficulty. Of course, like an idiot, I didn't make a save before and I can't go back to my previous save because it is from 20 hours before.

The constant adds is driving me crazy and I don't want to turn down the difficulty because I was hoping to go for the trophy.

Have IB, Cassandra, and Dorian in my party. I am a rogue archer. Any advice as far as the boss, or a good spec for either of those characters? Thanks for any help

I was in a similar situation, Iron Bull kept dying. I went through my fight so many times it felt like I was in a groundhog day nightmare. I eventually found a way around my constant adds problem, it wasn't a non stop add supply (not sure about your situation as I never been to the spoiler area I think). I just put my people as far away from my archer as possible without them spawning close to me, then spawned the boss. Worked on the adds by pulling them further away from the boss, and found a choke point. The boss wasn't willing to go there so I just dealt with the adds. Iron Bull still managed to die but it was less hectic without the boss. I was happy that was over, never not saving on multiple files constantly again.

Is holding the entry room on the final area pretty much what everyone is doing?

Nah, some like to just roam or move in circles around the circular rooms with hallways. Like a ninja or a off tank would deal with the archers which is the reason people use the rooms. Archers are so powerful especially in huge numbers, and being out in the open just makes yourself a easy target for them. The room is just very nice to funnel everything into a nice damage zone (walking dead trap gif).

Bessy67

So question about the 10th dragon that may be spoilerish (late game main quest related):

My next story mission is the one to kill Corypheus' dragon. Does that count as the 10th or did I miss one?

The easiest one to miss is probably Storm Coast, since you can only get access to it later in the game after you've done a war table mission in the zone that unlocks late in the story.

Zafir

The easiest one to miss is probably Storm Coast, since you can only get access to it later in the game after you've done a war table mission in the zone that unlocks late in the story.

I dunno, you're likely to know it's there because you see it pretty early on.

I personally missed the hissing wastes one.

Xevren

Huh, looking at my journal it says I have 10/10 high dragons slain but on the achievement it only shows 9/10. Guess the achievement is glitched.

Yea unfortunately the game is awful with trophies/achievements. Best thing people can do is save before you know you should be getting one. I had to kill my last dragon a few times before it gave me the trophy.

This game has me fucking hooked. I was kinda uninvested, but then I
just got my ass kicked out of Haven, so I've got a reason to fucking do shit now! INQUISITOR ON THE WAY TO TAKE YOU DOWN, CORYPHEUS!

Dragon Island (I think? Something like that) at the Storm Coast.
You can only get there by boat after you kill a bunch of Red Templars. I assume you've already killed them.

Dresden

Later on, Earthshaking Strike is crazy. The description sounds mediocre, and without the upgrade it is indeed terrible. That upgrade actually results in massive damage, though—so much that it almost seems bugged.

Hope it's not a bug. 2handers desperately lack damage otherwise unless they go reaver.

Speevy

Banned
I can't help, but I can sympathize. I assume the game is crashing for you during cutscenes or on the war table? I've had this happen more times than I can count, probably a couple dozen times in 80 hours of play. It's really annoying, especially when it makes you repeat an unskippable cutscene (intro to Skyhold) or repeat a boss battle.

From what I can gather it's an Nvidia issue and Bioware is aware and working on it.

Actually that is a huge help. I know next to nothing about computers and had this one built for me. I was afraid it was failing. Now that I know it's just the game I can rest easy.

On the subject of the Temple in the Oasis:

Is it actually worth collecting all those shards to open the doors? Can you open all of them, or are there only enough shards in the game to fully open some of them?

50 hours and I think I'm halfway through the game.

56 hours and I just got to Skyhold, how far through is that?

To be fair I think about 12 of those hours were because I hit the Playstation button on the PS4 thinking it pauses the game as your on the dashboard, turns out I don't think it does.

leng jai

What's the quickest way to get out of the Hinterlands? I've got like 50 icons on my map but I can't even see which is supposed to be for the main quest.

Top Bottom