• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball FighterZ - Characters, Specials, and Stages Discussion

Oh man, Bulma would be a great fit for an Arc System Works character design. Throw around all sorts of gadgets and robots and stuff. Time machine super let's go!

Kid Gohan. But call his Cell Arc self "Young Gohan" and his Boo Arc/Teenager self just Gohan.

Young Gohan could also be construed as 'the youngest Gohan'
Listen I know its not factually correct. But is there anyone who couldn't figure it out if you laid out the 3 versions of Gohan with 3 labels Kid teen adult and were told to match them up?
I'm just saying pretending Cell games Gohan is 2 years older is easier than starting a grassroots campaign to change a years old naming convention.

Kouichi

Now that I've caught up to Super (amazing stuff btw), Caulifia is now my most requested character. Which is shame since I highly doubt she'll make it in. Given the early 2018 release, the game must have been in development for quite a while and I'd imagine the roster was decided way before she was introduced in Super. On top of that, we haven't even seen her fight yet. I'd love to be wrong though.

DLC is my hope now.

Pompadour

Majin Dabura has a lot of gimmicky powers that would most likely do well in a fighting game.

I also think Nappa is most assuredly a.lock as a character. I base that purely on my large gut

Most of my nostalgia for this series was when I saw the Saiyan saga on TV when I was in elementary school or junior high and it ended there. Unbeknownst to me, in other parts of the country the Freiza saga was dubbed but I never saw anything else until it came to Toonami years later.

With that said, my roster wishlist is comprised entirely of characters from the Saiyan saga. I'd roll Team Bald if Nappa, Piccolo, and Tenshinhan were in the game.

Clawww

Most of my nostalgia for this series was when I saw the Saiyan saga on TV when I was in elementary school or junior high and it ended there. Unbeknownst to me, in other parts of the country the Freiza saga was dubbed but I never saw anything else until it came to Toonami years later.

With that said, my roster wishlist is comprised entirely of characters from the Saiyan saga. I'd roll Team Bald if Nappa, Piccolo, and Tenshinhan were in the game.

I want Nappa to throw out saibamen

NotLiquid

Oh man, Bulma would be a great fit for an Arc System Works character design. Throw around all sorts of gadgets and robots and stuff. Time machine super let's go!
This is why I've been saying I want Launch to return even though I know it will never happen, a character who would be all guns.

Quebaz

Young Gohan could also be construed as 'the youngest Gohan'
Listen I know its not factually correct. But is there anyone who couldn't figure it out if you laid out the 3 versions of Gohan with 3 labels Kid teen adult and were told to match them up?
I'm just saying pretending Cell games Gohan is 2 years older is easier than starting a grassroots campaign to change a years old naming convention.

Dokkan started to call him Gohan (Youth) and Fusions also uses Young Gohan for his Cell Arc self.

Just because it started out as an error in 2002 doesn't mean it shouldn't be fixed. Dude's not a teen, the Japanese versions of the games don't call him Teen and some newer official stuff has finally started to use a better moniker.

Now if only they stopped using Vegito.

Dokkan started to call him Gohan (Youth) and Fusions also uses Young Gohan for his Cell Arc self.

Just because it started out as an error in 2002 doesn't mean it shouldn't be fixed. Dude's not a teen, the Japanese versions of the games don't call him Teen and some newer official stuff has finally started to use a better moniker.

Whats this game calling him in character select?

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Lol, wonder if that means theres only one Gohan...

I'm fine with only one Gohan in the game. He was the best in the Cell saga and if that means we will get more other unique characters instead of another Gohan im all for it.

TreIII

I really hope Mr. Satan is in even as a joke character :D

I wouldn't mind seeing him, either.

But if it came down to it, I'd be just fine with him appearing in Good/Fat Buu or Videl's supers, instead. Videl, especially, should be more of a priority if we're gunning for more female reps on the roster.

tumblr_nehgcjfS3l1se9xd2o1_500.gif

Please GAF.

In seriousness, i think he'd be a solid addition. The game seems like it's going to be top heavy on 'goodies', and Janemba was (IMO) definitely one of the more unique and memorable villains from the movies. His fighting technique was pretty unique, as is his design - no other character really looks that similar to him. I think he'd complement Broly and Bardock well as representatives from the original run of films.

Slaythe

tumblr_nehgcjfS3l1se9xd2o1_500.gif

Please GAF.

In seriousness, i think he'd be a solid addition. The game seems like it's going to be top heavy on 'goodies', and Janemba was (IMO) definitely one of the more unique and memorable villains from the movies. His fighting technique was pretty unique, as is his design - no other character really looks that similar to him. I think he'd complement Broly and Bardock well as representatives from the original run of films.

That's literally the best example of characters you'd get in a sequel.

Not a first game IMO.

HardRojo

Vegito looks better than Vegetto though :( I'll stick with Vegito.

Wait, Gohan was ten in the Cell arc? How about going into the HTC?
I believe he would be nine naturally, but going into the Room of Spirit and Time for a year makes him ten.

Vegito looks better than Vegetto though :( I'll stick with Vegito.
The Viz version's "Vegerot" is probably the name that makes the most sense if we're going for consistency, since the dub uses "Kakarot" instead of "Kakarotto."

I'm on team Vegetto though.

HardRojo

I believe he would be nine naturally, but going into the Room of Spirit and Time for a year makes him ten.

The Viz version's "Vegerot" is probably the name that makes the most sense if we're going for consistency, since the dub uses "Kakarot" instead of "Kakarotto."

I'm on team Vegetto though.
Yeah, Vegerot is the one that makes the most sense, but Toriyama screwed up and based his name on the romanization of Kakarot :/

Yeah, Vegerot is the one that makes the most sense, but Toriyama screwed up and based his name on the romanization of Kakarot :/
I might be giving him too much credit, but I think the idea was to imply that Vegeta is the dominant personality in the fusion; Vegeta wouldn't use Goku's Earth name.

Vegeta + Kakarotto = Vegetto

But I could also be totally wrong. That's happened before.

All the hype for this game had me pull out Super DBZ on PS2 to mess around with, as it's my favorite DBZ fighter. It has a pretty solid roster for one that's so small, the base roster being only 13 characters:

Goku
Teen Gohan
Vegeta
Future Trunks
Chi-Chi
Piccolo
Krillin
Android 16
Android 17
Android 18
Frieza
Cell
Majin Buu

Then there's 5 unlockable characters that basically re-use animation & moves from the core cast:

Ultimate Gohan
Majin Vegeta
Mecha Frieza
King Piccolo
Videl

Only 18 total and they even managed to include 3 female characters. If at least those 13 characters + Videl show up in this one, it'll be pretty solid.

Super DBZ is my absolute favorite Dragonball game as well. It was ahead of its time unfortunately. The customization mechanics kept a lot of people from taking it seriously at the time. Would have played out ALOT better in today's market with online MP on console.

Some of you are embarassingly optimistic for the roster

I am too. But my hopeless optimism is hoping for a few Movie/DBS reps as possible.

TreIII

Super DBZ is my absolute favorite Dragonball game as well. It was ahead of its time unfortunately. The customization mechanics kept a lot of people from taking it seriously at the time. Would have played out ALOT better in today's market with online MP on console.

Of all the things that I've heard being described as the reasons why Super DBZ didn't get the success it deserved, I never heard that the in-game customization was one of them.

Its PS2 port being practically sent to die, releasing in close proximity to the recent Budokai and Budokai Tenkaichi releases of the time? Being released at a time when traditional fighting games were in a bit of a slump before SF4 bought attention to them again? Being released well before it was "cool" to like Dragon Ball again, following Battle of Gods? Now, those were ones I definitely heard.

In any case, I'm definitely glad that, at least so far, it's an entirely different story for Fighterz this time, compared to poor Super DBZ. If this chance is blown, too, we may never get another chance for Dragon Ball games of this ilk, again.

Of all the things that I've heard being described as the reasons why Super DBZ didn't get the success it deserved, I never heard that the in-game customization was one of them.

I mean in arcades. The game had its following, but I think having so many character tools having to be unlocked ( on top of it being such an unconventional game to begin with) limited its appeal with arcade players.

I think it's also part of the reason a scene never really developed for the game here in the west on console. too much of a pain for everyone to have memory cards with their characters on them and switching around for tournament play

TreIII

I mean in arcades. The game had its following, but I think having so many character tools having to be unlocked ( on top of it being such an unconventional game to begin with) limited its appeal with arcade players.

I think it's also part of the reason a scene never really developed for the game here in the west on console. too much of a pain for everyone to have memory cards with their characters on them and switching around for tournament play

Ah, gotcha!

For the most part, though, I thought it was just a matter of using the default movesets each character had, which is what friends and I used, back in college. If I recall Freeza was either top-tier, or at least high. So, he didn't need the extra help customization offered.

Zubz

Banned
It's a fighting game though, who cares, it ain't One Punch Man. Though you could argue that Whis doesn't need to be there.

I need Whis to be there. We've mostly seen him dodge, but he's one of my favorite characters regardless. I only hope he finally gets to fight in the current arc.

Quebaz

Ah, gotcha!

For the most part, though, I thought it was just a matter of using the default movesets each character had, which is what friends and I used, back in college. If I recall Freeza was either top-tier, or at least high. So, he didn't need the extra help customization offered.

The customization feature just opened up so many possibilities that you were gimping yourself by not using it, things like Super cancels were a vital thing that you needed to have and some characters benefited a lot from their optional moves. It only really sucked because it took so much time before you got to the end of the skill tree, because they managed to balance the whole thing out for everyone.

I figure the other would be called Great Saiyaman or something.

I'm guessing "adult Gohan" is added as Saiyaman. His antics make him great for this kind of game, with the Golden Warrior form being a special of his. Rewatching some old DB/Z has really got me excited for the roster possibilities. Can you imagine a Great Saiyaman victory pose done in Xrd style?

wmlk

I'm guessing "adult Gohan" is added as Saiyaman. His antics make him great for this kind of game, with the Golden Warrior form being a special of his. Rewatching some old DB/Z has really got me excited for the roster possibilities. Can you imagine a Great Saiyaman victory pose done in Xrd style?

Great Saiyaman was fun. At least he was enjoyable until he became the ultimate wasteman with Supreme Kai.

If Super Saiyan Blue ends up being in for Goku and Vegeta, I'm hoping it'll be a 5 or 6 meter transformation. That would be better than a separate slot.

I'm still imagining how Hit's Time Skip would work in a system like this. I really hope he's in.

Top Bottom