• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball FighterZ - Characters, Specials, and Stages Discussion

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
I don't think ingame fusions would work. But I can see Gotenks in the game with Trunks and Goten fusing as a cool intro.

I think that particular character could have a 2 character playing style and fusing through a super that allows you to stay fused for a few seconds OR some kind of dark phoenix mechanic.

Lots of potential in a Trunk/Goten combo character

Slaythe

A fusion mechanic would be cool as hell.

I feel like there is a middle ground between GG/SF/MvC and Tenkaichi/Xenoverse that this game should hit, with gameplay mechanics that distinctly come from the license, as opposed to Arc's history or the MvC2/3 influence*, so when playing it you can say "This is DBZ!" for more than the aesthetics.

Fusions and Beam Struggles would be good mechanics for that.

*Of course, being a MvC style game might be enough for "DBZ-ness", as those games were always more DBZ games than superhero games anyway.

Fusions and beam struggles are cancer for the genre though.

One slows down the pace of battle to force a shitty QTE / Button mash on you, the other wastes an entire character worth of animations and moveset for the sake of a gimmicky mechanic.

You have instant teleports, homing dashes, and heavy focus on aerial launchers, I'd say that's "DBZ" DNA.

If they can add stuff that makes sense without ruining the roster/gameplay, sure. If not, I'm not a fan of trying to cram as many mechanics as possible just to take stuff from the licence.

C-Sword

The game is fine as it is, it doesn't need anymore gimmicky features. Beam struggle/ Fusion ideas remind me of Test Your Might/ Free Fall in MK VS DC, people hated those.

DrD

The characters I want to see the most are Tenshinhan, Piccolo, and Hit. I'll probably play mostly as Vegeta.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Shit.

I should've asked whether Piccolo will have four or five fingers...

tumblr_mbnf27tqgr1r79k322.gif

WAT

HardRojo

Yeah, no, keep beam clashes away please. I know they're part of DBZ and all, but the only thing they'd be good for is slowing down the match, which would suck.
And as I said before, fusion characters should be their own thing, they'd need to have a complete moveset anyway so it'd be a waste to tie them to specific mechanic for a few select characters (that might even be hard to balance).

Lulubop

Yeah, no, keep beam clashes away please. I know they're part of DBZ and all, but the only thing they'd be good for is slowing down the match, which would suck.
And as I said before, fusion characters should be their own thing, they'd need to have a complete moveset anyway so it'd be a waste to tie them to specific mechanic for a few select characters (that might even be hard to balance).

This. I just wanna play as Gotenks, have Trunks and Goten doing the dance as his intro. Same with Vegitto have them putting on the earrings

I wonder if the animation that plays when another character flies into the fight is the only one they have or if they are planning on having different ones

Honestly what I would like is if the two fighters teleported/zanzoken at the same time the resulting clash would lead to something like this with that exact same sound effect:

https://youtu.be/ROkC_vP9dvA?t=2m1s

And naturally, if they had more meter and again did at the same would lead to the multiple hit and clash sound effects.

HardRojo

Honestly what I would like is if the two fighters teleported/zanzoken at the same time the resulting clash would lead to something like this with that exact same sound effect:

https://youtu.be/ROkC_vP9dvA?t=2m1s

And naturally, if they had more meter and again did at the same would lead to the multiple hit and clash sound effects.

Damn! Can't wait to watch Super with Castañeda voicing Goku again. I think that's something they could add and reset the situation back to neutral, that'd be cool.

Damn! Can't wait to watch Super with Castañeda voicing Goku again. I think that's something they could add and reset the situation back to neutral, that'd be cool.
Yoooo! If they have the LA voice cast for this game it would be AMAZING!! Only reason I haven't watched Super yet is because I'm waiting for the dub to arrive haha

I'd buy a LA dub DLC no questions asked. I was surprised at how well it still sounded when I went to a showing of RoF here in PR (which was also pretty packed!). I'm halfway tempted to try and rewatch DBZ with that dub.

Kyzon

I'm working on an interview with the director of the game. Obviously some questions she won't be able to answer, but if you guys have some questions I can potentially add them to the interview.

Sending off the questions in a few hours, so I'll check back a few times before then.

How do we show them we want a switch port?

JackelZXA

I'm working on an interview with the director of the game. Obviously some questions she won't be able to answer, but if you guys have some questions I can potentially add them to the interview.

Sending off the questions in a few hours, so I'll check back a few times before then.

Ask, without naming a specific character, what is the largest number of Forms or Transformations a character has in the game.

JackelZXA

You got a lot to catch up on man, we're about to reach the 100th episode.

If anyone wants an expedited way to watch super, you can use Battle of Gods to replace episodes 3-14, and Resurrection F to replace episodes 19-27. From there it's just 2 arcs to reach the current arc, so it really speeds stuff up and improves the overall experience from the TV version (not alot of plotholes or repetition either, which is a plus. The movies just slot in smoothly between the other episodes and feels like a really natural experience!)

A fusion mechanic would be cool as hell.

I feel like there is a middle ground between GG/SF/MvC and Tenkaichi/Xenoverse that this game should hit, with gameplay mechanics that distinctly come from the license, as opposed to Arc's history or the MvC2/3 influence*, so when playing it you can say "This is DBZ!" for more than the aesthetics.

Fusions and Beam Struggles would be good mechanics for that.

*Of course, being a MvC style game might be enough for "DBZ-ness", as those games were always more DBZ games than superhero games anyway.

Nah. There doesn't need to be a middle ground. Plenty of room for both games(This and Xenoverse) to cater to both types of fans/players.

This game really doesn't need the sim/roleplay stuff getting in the way of it being a solid fighting game.

This. I just wanna play as Gotenks, have Trunks and Goten doing the dance as his intro. Same with Vegitto have them putting on the earrings

I think Gotenks is a sure thing. Especially if they're going for unique attacks/playstyles above all. Easily at the very top of my list in that regard.

Vegeto idk though. Since Goku and Vegeta are already in the game. Depends on how serious they take no duplicates on teams.(It'd be weird to have a team of Goku, Vegeta and Vegeto)

exfatal

Fusions and beam struggles are cancer for the genre though.

One slows down the pace of battle to force a shitty QTE / Button mash on you, the other wastes an entire character worth of animations and moveset for the sake of a gimmicky mechanic.

You have instant teleports, homing dashes, and heavy focus on aerial launchers, I'd say that's "DBZ" DNA.

If they can add stuff that makes sense without ruining the roster/gameplay, sure. If not, I'm not a fan of trying to cram as many mechanics as possible just to take stuff from the licence.

I agree about the beam struggles and fusions. But what about this for beam struggles?
When they clash there's a quick beam struggle animation then either player can spend a bar to power up to move, if both spend 1 bar the beam struggle looks more intense, then can choose to spend another, and so on and so on with each instance the animation looking more intense. You could end up using all 7 bars and the entire thing wouldn't be longer then about 10 seconds.

I'd think that be pretty cool especially at the end of a close match. To balance further the player who starts gets an advantage. Say player 1 starts beam attack get past half way point, player 2 counters with theirs just b4 the beam hits. He now has to spend an extra bar to get it even.

Dueck

Banned
I just hope the obviously conservative roster size doesn't waste spots with the likes of Recoome and Yamcha. Let the D-listers in once we've got all the important people. Likewise, I hope it's not too biased towards Super (doubtful). I could live with 16 fighters, as long as none were variations of each other and had an important role (an extra Buu is fine though).

Let's say there are 16...

Confirmed:
Goku
Vegeta
Gohan
Frieza
Perfect Cell
Majin Buu

Who I would choose for the rest:
Piccolo
Krillin
Android 18
Gotenks
Future Trunks
Kid Buu
Caulifla
Kale
Cabba
Broly

Slaythe

I agree about the beam struggles and fusions. But what about this for beam struggles?
When they clash there's a quick beam struggle animation then either player can spend a bar to power up to move, if both spend 1 bar the beam struggle looks more intense, then can choose to spend another, and so on and so on with each instance the animation looking more intense. You could end up using all 7 bars and the entire thing wouldn't be longer then about 10 seconds.

I'd think that be pretty cool especially at the end of a close match. To balance further the player who starts gets an advantage. Say player 1 starts beam attack get past half way point, player 2 counters with theirs just b4 the beam hits. He now has to spend an extra bar to get it even.

I'm not a fan of it to be honest.

Not everybody is gonna have beam attacks (or beam supers).

And I feel like it gives almost no incentive to ever go for that because it would waste your mater. Might as well just block it and take almost no chip damage from it to be honest.

Whoever has more meter wins it... That's not good. Can also fuck up the DHC.

I don't see who would throw a beam with the potential to get countered, ever. So the supers are only gonna be used in combos or in set ups with assists, etc...

Like, you want to kill him with chip ? Throw an assist. Then do your super, there, he was first to block the assist and couldn't do his beam attack.

I feel like it's too much work to implement something like that when you're never ever gonna see it at a decent level of play.

The 3 v3 also makes it unnecessary to have an "injustice 2 clash" sort of mechanic with meter waging.

And 10 seconds to stare at a screen is a long time for a fighting game man. :D

Spman2099

I think the important aspect this game needs to nail is feeling like Dragon Ball. Which means speed, mobility, and misdirection. From what we have seen so far, it seems like they have captured that kinetic rush.

The trappings, things like fusions or beam struggles, are superficial. Sure they may be cool once in a while, but they don't add much more than a nod. You don't want this game to be bogged down by this sort of thing. We have had lots of Dragon Ball Z games that try to cram this stuff in and they never get the feel of the series right.

Open the door up to that level of reverence and we are going to see the darkest side of those requests, where people want the game to reflect the power levels accurately... *shiver*

That being said...

I am okay with beam struggles, but only if they are incredibly uncommon clashes that occur when two people use a beam attack of the same power at exactly the same time. Make it a meter wagering system where the bigger wager wins. This way you get the nod, but it is a largely unobtrusive mechanic. Though, at that point, you have to ask if it is worth the development team's time.

LotusHD

Banned
I just hope the obviously conservative roster size doesn't waste spots with the likes of Recoome and Yamcha. Let the D-listers in once we've got all the important people. Likewise, I hope it's not too biased towards Super (doubtful). I could live with 16 fighters, as long as none were variations of each other and had an important role (an extra Buu is fine though).

Confirmed:
Goku
Vegeta
Gohan
Frieza
Perfect Cell
Majin Buu

Piccolo
Krillin
Android 18
Gotenks
Future Trunks
Kid Buu
Caulifla
Kale
Cabba
Broly

I don't see the need to have both Broly and Kale in the main roster tbh. Not that it matters much since currently Caulifla and Kale don't have much to work with. (Hopefully that changes as I'd love for them to make it in somehow, even as DLC.) I'd replace those two with Hit and Beerus, as they have distinct movesets already, not to mention they obviously stand out appearance-wise.
And replace Broly with Goku Black while you're at it :p

Spman2099

Confirmed:
Goku
Vegeta
Gohan
Frieza
Perfect Cell
Majin Buu

Piccolo
Krillin
Android 18
Gotenks
Future Trunks
Kid Buu
Caulifla
Kale
Cabba
Broly

Yeah, don't put Yamcha in, a character with a distinct set of moves with a long history in the series, and a huge part of the original Dragon Ball series. Instead, put in the vital characters like Caulifla, Kale, Cabba, and Broly. This will also ensure that we can have a cast of characters that is more than fifty percent saiyan! Finally, the diverse Dragon Ball game we have all been waiting for...

I hope you can feel my aggressive eye rolling. Honestly, if your roster came true the game would be dead to me.

I don't see the need to have both Broly and Kale in the main roster tbh. Not that it matters much since currently Caulifla and Kale don't have much to work with. (Hopefully that changes as I'd love for them to make it in somehow, even as DLC.) I'd replace those two with Hit and Beerus, as they have distinct movesets already, not to mention they obviously stand out appearance-wise.
And replace Broly with Goku Black while you're at it :p

Your roster is arguably as bad as his, which is quite the accomplishment. I expect more from people with Gravity Rush avatars...

I feel like if you want diversity then they already handle that aspect well with Xenoverse. I have no problem having most of the cast be saiyans, especially if that means we get Vegito with a final kamehameha and beam sword. Caulifa and Kale/Broly are absolute musts, though the females will likely be pushed to DLC depending on when this game ends up coming out.

If Yamcha is in, he better be the joke character of the roster. I don't want to see him going toe to toe with the others lol.

LotusHD

Banned
Your roster is arguably as bad as his, which is quite the accomplishment. I expect more from people with Gravity Rush avatars...

I mean, I didn't really make a roster, just pointing out what Super characters would be likely to get in over those two. But um, okay, I didn't know it was this serious.

I like how he wants variation and he managed to pick only Saiyans as newcomers.

Can't make this shit up.

Lol

Slaythe

This is my roster. Also is the best roster. The most tremendous roster.

Goku
Vegeta
kid Gohan

Ultimate Gohan
Future Trunks
Gotenks

Cell
Furiza
Majin Buu

Piccolo
Krilin
Tien shin han

Yamcha
Videl
Roshi

Android 16
Android 17
Android 18

Beerus
Hit
Goku Black

Then add DLC for Caulifla, Broly, and Bardock.

Blue Vegeta and Goku as bonus characters somewhere (don't need nearly as much work to get it). Potentially add kid buu somewhere and make Beerus part of this team instead.

I feel like if you want diversity then they already handle that aspect well with Xenoverse. I have no problem having most of the cast be saiyans, especially if that means we get Vegito with a final kamehameha and beam sword. Caulifa and Kale/Broly are absolute musts, though the females will likely be pushed to DLC depending on when this game ends up coming out. If Yamcha is in, he better be the joke character of the roster. I don't want to see him going toe to toe with the others lol.

AWESOME, in the one game where it fucking means jack shit because characters have unbalanced stats, this is great.

Having "mostly saiyans" is a terrible idea.

Spman2099

I like how he wants variation and he managed to pick only Saiyans as newcomers.

Can't make this shit up.

Let's combine our powers and make a roster as bad as theirs...

Slaythe and Spman's roster

Confirmed:
Goku
Vegeta
Gohan
Frieza
Perfect Cell
Majin Buu

Who we would choose for the rest:
Android 17
Android 18
Android 17 (from Super)
Android 18 (from Super)
Dragon Ball Yamcha
Dragon Ball Tenshinhan
Dragon Ball Z Yamcha
Dragon Ball Z Tenshinhan
Android Yamcha 17 (the fusion of 17 and Yamcha)

You know, just to keep things interesting. Variety is the spice of life!

I mean, I didn't really make a roster, just pointing out what Super characters would be likely to get in over those two. But um, okay, I didn't know it was this serious.

This is serious. Very serious.

FooTemps

It seems like the balance would fall towards characters with beams that are 1 bar without giving much of an incentive to play otherwise. If you decide to balance it with a beam trumping system based upon how many bars the super is worth, there's a bunch of work to put into the back end for literally a .2 second rock paper scissors match. Either way, it would be extremely situational at best or easily abused at worst.

Also, it seems like it would have to be used as a hard read instead of a reaction. From the looks of goku's and cell's kamehamehas, I would guess they come out in something like 30 frames for full screen with the first quarter getting covered in 1 frames (@60fps). These beams aren't very slow projectiles. It wouldn't be very useful since most people wouldn't just super without a hit confirm anyway. You'd probably want to poke with a standard projectile, would you beam struggle with projectile normals and beam specials too?

Zalman

This is my roster. Also is the best roster. The most tremendous roster.

Goku
Vegeta
kid Gohan

Ultimate Gohan
Future Trunks
Gotenks

Cell
Furiza
Majin Buu

Piccolo
Krilin
Tien shin han

Yamcha
Videl
Roshi

Android 16
Android 17
Android 18

Beerus
Hit
Goku Black

Then add DLC for Caulifla, Broly, and Bardock.

Blue Vegeta and Goku as bonus characters somewhere (don't need nearly as much work to get it). Potentially add kid buu somewhere and make Beerus part of this team instead.
Best roster so far. Get rid of Yamcha for Kid Buu and I'll allow it.

Slaythe

Let's combine our powers and make a roster as bad as theirs...

Slaythe and Spman's roster

Confirmed:
Goku
Vegeta
Gohan
Frieza
Perfect Cell
Majin Buu

Who we would choose for the rest:
Android 17
Android 18
Android 17 (from Super)
Android 18 (from Super)
Dragon Ball Yamcha
Dragon Ball Tenshinhan
Dragon Ball Z Yamcha
Dragon Ball Z Tenshinhan
Android Yamcha 17 (the fusion of 17 and Yamcha)

You know, just to keep things interesting. Variety is the spice of life!

You forgot the best Yamcha, from Super. His design is sick.

But Dragon Ball Yamcha would be amazing, with his sword moves too !!!

I guess for the sake of variety you can throw Super 17 from GT in there as well. He'll make a good training dummy.

And add 17 with his shotgun and coat too in the roster somewhere.

Perfect roster.

You know what I realized Yamcha and 17 (and I guess Videl) are the only 3 fighters that never made it into a 2D DBZ fighter.

Even Tien and Roshi made it. So fuck them.

Team low key best characters.

Rewatching dbz and I completely forgot Piccolo can make a clone of himself. A lot of little things that popped up once and never to be seen again. I think I remember Tien being able to grow extra arms too.

Top Bottom