• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Manga/Anime |OT| This isn't even our final thread

I'm watching Dragon Ball Kai right now for the first time and it's kind of blowing my mind how much stuff was filler.

Just finishing off the Namek saga, Goku just started powering up the Spirit Bomb. It was really weird going through the Saiyan saga and it skipping all of those filler episodes, like Princess Snake, Home for Infinite Losers, Gohan surviving in the wilderness, Gohan and those orphans, Krillin and the others fighting those fake Saiyans, etc. Even scenes I thought were in the manga like Yamcha at the baseball game aren't in there. It's really weird. Anyway, it's been enjoyable though, I haven't watched the show since 2005 I think.

I'm surprised they kept some scene like Bulma and Ginyu switching places. That's some obvious ass filler.

The new animation in some sections is pretty neat, like the animators have to imitate the style of late 80s/ early 90s show. But a lot of the times you can pretty clearly tell that it's new animation since it's a lot cleaner. There's a sequence in the middle of the Frieza fight where Goku is having visions of Vegeta, King Vegeta and Bardock all telling him to kill Frieza for the Saiyan race, which is kind of touching and adds a lot to the battle.

terrisus

So, seriously, why do people keep making Dragon Ball threads on the general Off-Topic board, but hardly anyone actually posts in here? >.>

I think there was a genocide of all the animal people during the timeskip between DB and DBZ, it's the only explanation of how they all disappeared

kaiiri

I'm watching Dragon Ball Kai right now for the first time and it's kind of blowing my mind how much stuff was filler.

Just finishing off the Namek saga, Goku just started powering up the Spirit Bomb. It was really weird going through the Saiyan saga and it skipping all of those filler episodes, like Princess Snake, Home for Infinite Losers, Gohan surviving in the wilderness, Gohan and those orphans, Krillin and the others fighting those fake Saiyans, etc. Even scenes I thought were in the manga like Yamcha at the baseball game aren't in there. It's really weird. Anyway, it's been enjoyable though, I haven't watched the show since 2005 I think.

I'm surprised they kept some scene like Bulma and Ginyu switching places. That's some obvious ass filler.

The new animation in some sections is pretty neat, like the animators have to imitate the style of late 80s/ early 90s show. But a lot of the times you can pretty clearly tell that it's new animation since it's a lot cleaner. There's a sequence in the middle of the Frieza fight where Goku is having visions of Vegeta, King Vegeta and Bardock all telling him to kill Frieza for the Saiyan race, which is kind of touching and adds a lot to the battle.

just started watching kai too! playing xenoverse I just had to go back and watch and since I heard kai was a great way to re-watch the series I went that route. the whole new animation throughout the show is kinda weird though. I assume its there to bridge scenes where there went to actual filler before?

just hit the android saga myself which is a blast. my wife is watching it with me too and she's never seen dragon ball z before so it's fun with her seeing all this stuff for the first time and sharing this anime that was literally my childhood! XD

Anth0ny

just started watching kai too! playing xenoverse I just had to go back and watch and since I heard kai was a great way to re-watch the series I went that route. the whole new animation throughout the show is kinda weird though. I assume its there to bridge scenes where there went to actual filler before?

just hit the android saga myself which is a blast. my wife is watching it with me too and she's never seen dragon ball z before so it's fun with her seeing all this stuff for the first time and sharing this anime that was literally my childhood! XD

nope. they just sloppily retraced random scenes for no real reason.

kai is a weird thing.

So I just finished the Frieza saga for Kai. What a ride. With all of the filler removed, it really helps the pacing of the fight.

You have to understand, when the show was on the air in the late 90s and early 00s, it took forever to get new episodes. Especially in Canada since the rights to air the show was kind of messed up and delayed. When Goku finally became Super Saiyan, it was built up for so long and asian kids in school were talking about Cell, the Androids and GT, I was Just so happy it was happening finally, and to see it done with justice, man.

I'm glad they kept the small filler battle between Final Form Frieza and Gohan. That was such a hell yeah moment, Gohan trying to delay Frieza while he thinks Goku is dead and make sure Frieza dies with the planet. He is his father's son.

So with Frieza done, I thought it would take a break and watch original Dragon Ball. Man, Goku is such a cute and innocent kid. It's nice to be able to contrast Goku and Gohan like this. Also gotta say, the constant sex jokes with Bulma are kind of insane. I'm not sure you could get away with some of this stuff with modern anIme.

Also, Goku sure likes getting naked a lot

So I just finished the Frieza saga for Kai. What a ride. With all of the filler removed, it really helps the pacing of the fight.

You have to understand, when the show was on the air in the late 90s and early 00s, it took forever to get new episodes. Especially in Canada since the rights to air the show was kind of messed up and delayed. When Goku finally became Super Saiyan, it was built up for so long and asian kids in school were talking about Cell, the Androids and GT, I was Just so happy it was happening finally, and to see it done with justice, man.

I'm glad they kept the small filler battle between Final Form Frieza and Gohan. That was such a hell yeah moment, Gohan trying to delay Frieza while he thinks Goku is dead and make sure Frieza dies with the planet. He is his father's son.

So with Frieza done, I thought it would take a break and watch original Dragon Ball. Man, Goku is such a cute and innocent kid. It's nice to be able to contrast Goku and Gohan like this. Also gotta say, the constant sex jokes with Bulma are kind of insane. I'm not sure you could get away with some of this stuff with modern anIme.

Also, Goku sure likes getting naked a lot
Are you watching the dub or the Japanese version? I was wondering because the sex jokes are a bit more blunt in the Japanese version lol

Are you watching the dub or the Japanese version? I was wondering because the sex jokes are a bit more blunt in the Japanese version lol

Watching the dub, which I think is the uncut version. At least I think so, since they show Goku naked, undressing Bulma, and Bulma flashing Roshi. Going to the Oolong episode next.

If the Japanese version is even more direct about it, then holy shit

Been re-watching DBZ a bit and I had some random thoughts; For some reason I've really come to like Chi Chi. Poor women had to put up with Goku as a husband and only wanted what was best for Gohan. Also does anyone else think that Imperfect Cell was the best of the 3 versions of Cell? Dude was creepy as fuck, whereas the other two forms were more generic imo.

Been re-watching DBZ a bit and I had some random thoughts; For some reason I've really come to like Chi Chi. Poor women had to put up with Goku as a husband and only wanted what was best for Gohan. Also does anyone else think that Imperfect Cell was the best of the 3 versions of Cell? Dude was creepy as fuck, whereas the other two forms were more generic imo.

She knew what she was getting into when she chose to marry him. This is the same dude that thought marriage was a cake. The same dude she only met like once or twice. Besides, you might as well blame Piccolo. He's the one who started Gohan's training.

Watching the dub, which I think is the uncut version. At least I think so, since they show Goku naked, undressing Bulma, and Bulma flashing Roshi. Going to the Oolong episode next.

If the Japanese version is even more direct about it, then holy shit
They're both the same amount of "uncut". It's just that the dub's dialogue is a tiny bit more censored.

I'm rewatching DBZ now and good lord is Buu a fucking dumbass character. I'm a sucker for seeing characters growing up/getting older so that's a huge reason for me to watch this arc, but I hate Buu so much.

Guess a new series is as good an event as any to finally start back into the Z rewatch I kinda wandered off from three years ago after deciding to take a quick breather between Dragon Boxes two and three.

Zubz

Banned
Why does vegeta always say prince of all saiyans? Ur fathers dead dood

Yeah... As well as literally every other Saiyan but Goku and their kids, who seem like they'd be chill if Vegeta just called himself the king of a dead race. Maybe he's just clinging onto his old status because it's all he had left of his old civilization? Maybe he couldn't call himself a "king" under Frieza's reign and it just stuck? Or he's making it clear that he doesn't want to reignite the Saiyan empire and lead it to a new age?
Or Toriyama just never thought about any of this?

MikeMyers

Guess a new series is as good an event as any to finally start back into the Z rewatch I kinda wandered off from three years ago after deciding to take a quick breather between Dragon Boxes two and three.

The pacing starts to decline around the Ginyu Force debut. I couldn't really stand it around the time Cell was transforming. :/

Deadstar

So I'm considering pulling the trigger on purchasing the newest Dragonball Z blu-ray releases.

DJ23IJW.jpg

I've got these three in my Amazon cart, ready to be paid and delivered, but I'm on the fence. Are these blu-ray sets uncut? I don't mind them being fullscreen instead of 4:3, because from what I've seen in Youtube reviews, Funi was very careful with how each frame was cropped, so as not to lose the most important details.

I also have all thirteen of the movie blu-rays in my wishlist, but I hear rumor that they may be re-releasing them soon. I really hate they way they are currently sold in double/triple feature packs. It eats away at my brain.

Where did you hear this? Any truth to these rumors? I was thinking about picking up the bluray movies.

I have just started watching DB for the first time.

Really enjoying it so far. So much different from Z. Weird seeing Oolong being a main supporting character to kick things.

Plus all the character so far are so much different.

Oolong is a transforming paedophile who likes to dress like Stalin
Yamcha is bandit
Ox King is a murdering giant
Chi Chi is actually nice.
Roshi actually does things.

Only Bulma seems to have kept the same personalty traits throughout the whole thing.

Lucumo

Also, I'm curious
trying to take discussion away from One Piece
: To any one who watched/read both Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z, what do you prefer? I, of course, grew up with DBZ, but after picking up all of Dragon Ball and watching it... it's superior. Superior in every aspect. Quality storytelling>mindless action.
Grew up with both and watched it in order. I prefer Dragon Ball since it has a much higher sense of adventure. Also, pretty much all of the cast was relevant which is a good thing.

Tizoc

Yo
Yo
I brought my DB and DBZ volumes to read during work (8+ hour shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiift), and I'm only the page BEFORE the table of contents, and that artwork of Goku and co. is fantastic
This is a piece of art that is 30 years old and it's well drawn and has a lot of personality.

qqFWAqz.jpg

I like how Bulma's dressed like a school girl here, but man that grin on Goku is perfectly drawn.

EDIT:
OK finished chapter 1 of DB and I gotta say Toriyama's art, character designs and pacing are all top notch, he just keeps the story going with hardly a break or distraction, even exposition is done quickly and easy to pick up.
The idea of Hoi Poi's being his easy and quick way of getting transportation is genius despite the fact that not many seem to notice it XD

OK you know that trope 'Early Installment Weirdness'? That's how I feel about (some of) the ecchi-ness in the first chapters of Dragon ball, but once Goku starts training with Master Roshi and then the tourney and the Red Ribbon Army arc, it just gets a lot better and better.

BTW Goku was 14 when the series start? Talk about a slow body growth :v

edit2: Man poor Yamcha, he was a badass in his introduction and his shyness of girls was a funny weakness, pre-training Goku would've met his match and IMO at their best they'd tie.

Yo
Yo
I brought my DB and DBZ volumes to read during work (8+ hour shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiift), and I'm only the page BEFORE the table of contents, and that artwork of Goku and co. is fantastic
This is a piece of art that is 30 years old and it's well drawn and has a lot of personality.

qqFWAqz.jpg

I like how Bulma's dressed like a school girl here, but man that grin on Goku is perfectly drawn.

EDIT:
OK finished chapter 1 of DB and I gotta say Toriyama's art, character designs and pacing are all top notch, he just keeps the story going with hardly a break or distraction, even exposition is done quickly and easy to pick up.
The idea of Hoi Poi's being his easy and quick way of getting transportation is genius despite the fact that not many seem to notice it XD

OK you know that trope 'Early Installment Weirdness'? That's how I feel about (some of) the ecchi-ness in the first chapters of Dragon ball, but once Goku starts training with Master Roshi and then the tourney and the Red Ribbon Army arc, it just gets a lot better and better.

BTW Goku was 14 when the series start? Talk about a slow body growth :v

edit2: Man poor Yamcha, he was a badass in his introduction and his shyness of girls was a funny weakness, pre-training Goku would've met his match and IMO at their best they'd tie.
We find out he was 12 during the 21st Budokai because he said he didn't know how to count until Lunch taught him. Even Bulma remarks at that moment that she should've known because he didn't look "developed." She's probably talking about the multiple times she saw him in the nude.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
No, Goku and Yamcha were not equals. Goku was hungry, and when child Goku is hingry, he's basically half dead.

I love Toriyama's art.
The only time I was somewhat dissatisfied with Toriyama's art was the Buu arc. But that was when he just wanted to end the damn thing. You want to see well-drawn vehicles with lots of detail? Toriyama's your man. You want fights with absolutely perfect panel usage? Toriyama's your man. You want female characters with proper anatomy? Toriyama is your goddamn man. I could gush about the dude as a comic artist all day.

The only time I was somewhat dissatisfied with Toriyama's art was the Buu arc. But that was when he just wanted to end the damn thing. You want to see well-drawn vehicles with lots of detail? Toriyama's your man. You want fights with absolutely perfect panel usage? Toriyama's your man. You want female characters with proper anatomy? Toriyama is your goddamn man. I could gush about the dude as a comic artist all day.

An underrated aspect of Toriyama as a mangaka/video game character designer; Dude knew how to draw women who were proportioned like human beings.

Malajax

An underrated aspect of Toriyama as a mangaka/video game character designer; Dude knew how to draw women who looked like human beings.

Except for the part when they all look (facial features) the same. I remember reading that it was a weakness of his that he admitted to. But on the whole, I'd agree. He's very sensible with proportions.

Except for the part when they all look (facial features) the same. I remember reading that it was a weakness of his that he admitted to. But on the whole, I'd agree. He's very sensible with proportions.

Toriyama is pretty limited face wise in general, and yeah back in the Dr Slump days it was something he poked fun at. He saves the variety for the villains, presumably because he has to draw them less.

At the same time, I remember how unique 18 looked compared to the other women in the series, even if she was blond 17. Something about her eyes.

Tizoc

Almost finished with Vol. 2 (work busier than I thought which is why i was slow ToT)
but I gotta say, poor Bulma went through a lot embarrassing ish just to get them Dragonballs, and Goku's simple mindedness was a little overboard with all the pat pat.

Humor was great regardless and Toriyama's art is superb throughout.

No, Goku and Yamcha were not equals. Goku was hungry, and when child Goku is hingry, he's basically half dead.

I did say 'at their best' at the time. IF anything Goku grew a little stronger since their first encounter with Yamcha.

Anyways this tumblr is interesting
http://theartofakiratoriyama.tumblr.com/
tumblr_nhj8lqFJrr1spsh0to8_540.jpg

tumblr_mrr3nhrGOn1rm3djoo1_1280.png

Also these Cell art is pretty cool, I just now realized that Toriyama actually drew all those black dots on him and had to do it in every chapter since his introduction hah

Vyktal

Just watched Resurrection F

Overall, fun movie to watch with what I thought were some pretty visuals. I also liked how the secondary characters and old favourites got much more screen time (
although I still don't understand why the other Z fighters don't use the peace time to go join the saiyans training with Whis, or the humans to go learn kaioken from King Kai, or get a Mystic form from the old Kai, etcetc
).

Main criticisms:

- This was essentially a re-hash of Revenge of Cooler
- What the hell is going on with the 'power levels'? Seriously, Roshi being picked to help out over Chiotzu/Yamcha, Gohan one-shotted by base-form Frieza, Goku God-form one-shotted by a "basic ray-gun". What is going on? If power levels really don't matter and it's about skill, then where's the actual skill during the fights (which still seem to ultimately hinge on you being fast+hit hard+shoot the biggest laser)?
- Are they just going to pull form after form after form from their arses until the goddamn apocalypse? This started getting ridiculous back during the Cell Games.
- I remember in the Cell Games saga when, during the first fight between Cell and Goku, noone could keep up with them except Gohan. Now it not only seems like everyone can keep up, but it seems like whether it was Base-Goku v Final-Freiza, or God v Golden, it all looked the exact same. If these guys are literally fighting on another dimension in terms of power, I think this should be represented differently visually

Oh well, I'll still casually watch the series cause I'm a massive nostalgic fool

NeonZ

So I'm reading Vol. 1 of DBZ and...did NO ONE tell Goku about the Osaru? Really?
REALLY?

Roshi blew up the moon, and when Kami brought it back he removed his tail permanently, so it was basically a non-factor after the 21st Budokai until the Saiyan Saga started.

Top Bottom