• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball: Sparkling Zero Announced | The Game Awards 2023

Draugoth

Gold Member
GAykI2Yb0AAdP70

GAykJwVaQAAuOtX

Last edited:

Codes 208

Looked good but I wonder if this is the Budokai Tenkaichi 4 they announced some time ago?
It is, it was inevitable that they’d go for the sparking name for the western release like theyve been doing with japan.

Iirc the older games were only tenkaichi budokai in name because they wanted to bank off the success of the budokai trilogy (since same ip, two different devs)
Yea this looks fire
It legitimately looks like a better, cleaner version of kakarot but refined with the BT/raging blast mechanics

I love this. I am excited as hell

Fake

I hope they are not using the Budokai Tenkaichi legacy to promove a new game.

If is a sucessor indeed.

CamHostage

"So, can rocks in the UE desert environment be smashed upon impact?"
"Well, this one can..."

UOJMYcw.png

Joking aside about the Scooby-Dooing of interactables, this looks fast and fun.

Last edited:

Codes 208

If it does play like Budokai Tenkaichi and has a good roster of characters( different from the poor crap FighterZ base) then I'm in.

If is one of those cash grabs, low efforts and barebones content then I'm out.
Tbf, it took bt 3 titles to end up with the roster it had. And most characters were reskins, a game like fighterz is quality over quantity. (Like despite having five different gokus, they all play differently from eachother)

But yeah, i prefer the more frantic, beat-em-up style of tenkaichi over the sweatier 2.5d of the dbfz/budokai games

Saber

Tbf, it took bt 3 titles to end up with the roster it had. And most characters were reskins, a game like fighterz is quality over quantity. (Like despite having five different gokus, they all play differently from eachother)

Is still Goku, just with different movesets.
This is the dumbest thing they ever did. Created a game very dry with characters(when DB series has a huge cast of characters) and create a bunch of paid ones that mostly resumes on Gokus and Vegetas.
Budokai may have clones, but it has a huge host of characters and most of Gokus and Vegetas were achievable through transformations.
FighterZ is brain damaging with autocombos that requires simply keep pressing a single button. Theres no quality here, its just a fighting game for newborn babies.

Last edited:

Codes 208

I feel like I went back in time and become a kid again. A budokai tenkaichi today? Just give me some sort of story mode with level ups and customization and I’m good to go.
It could be bare bones story and I’d still be happy. We havent had a BT-style game since raging blast 2 and that was all the way back in 2010

kiphalfton

Gold Member
Being a big Dragon ball/Z fan, seeing Dragon ball super in it disgust me...
Give me a fucking dragon Ball game dammit. The ones that have been released are all fairly good (the DS games, the GBA game, the Wii game), and we havent had one in a long freaking time.

bitbydeath

I’m intrigued, Tenkaichi games had around 100 characters and over 150 when you include transformations.

DRAGON BALL: Sparking! ZERO has a historic number of playable characters, each with signature abilities, transformations and techniques.

Codes 208

Give me a fucking dragon Ball game dammit. The ones that have been released are all fairly good (the DS games, the GBA game, the Wii game), and we havent had one in a long freaking time.
The 23rd world martial arts tournament arc as dlc in kakarot is the closest we’re ever going to get to another db game i think.

Its not even remotely subtle that most westerners prefer dbz, og db just doesnt sell as well

MiguelItUp

Pretty wild to see this. I may actually bite. To each their own, but I feel Super is more on brand than GT ever was. GT just felt like some fever dream fan fiction. That being said, it still had some cool things about it. I grew up with DB and DBZ, and adored them so much as a kid. So I was just happy to get more.

I will say that new series looks the strange to me too, lol.

Gambit2483

They should have kept the Tenkaichi name.

I know it sounds petty but changing the name seems to have severely deflated the hype of the initial announcement.

Astral Dog

Being a big Dragon ball/Z fan, seeing Dragon ball super in it disgust me...
DBSuper has pretty good ideas and expand on the lore, it just has mediocre execution, the Anime and Manga have glaring differences that hurt the narrative and characters . (And the lack of blood/violence hurts it,even other series made for kids have more blood than DBS)

Some of it is good, some bad,but if they make a new series it should be an improvment as long it sticks closer to the manga

Hero_Select

people criticize GT (rightfully so) but i think by the time Super finished i like GT more than Super. There I said it.

Codes 208

at least GT gave us Goku/Vegeta SSJ4, Gogeta SS4 and the best opening of all DB opennings.
It also gave us the worst arc in the entire franchise (black star dragon balls) which was so bad that when the series came to america, they cut down the first 16 episodes and made them into a single “what happened last time” recap.

Super wasnt a great step in the other direction but if we include the movies and manga, super was MUCH better than GT.

Hero_Select

It also gave us the worst arc in the entire franchise (black star dragon balls) which was so bad that when the series came to america, they cut down the first 16 episodes and made them into a single “what happened last time” recap.

Super wasnt a great step in the other direction but if we include the movies and manga, super was MUCH better than GT.
I hate the power scaling dynamic in Super. You're powering up Goku/Vegeta to God level strong.

And in a tournament where the fate of the universe is at steak you choose Master Roshi as a fighter.. really?

I would have been much happier with taking them into the Hyperbolic Time Chamber and training Krillin and Roshi and co. for a few years before entering.

Also 17 apparently training all his life defending an island from bad guys is hilarious.. he could have wiped them all in his base form Z. I just don't buy it.

But, Super made Broly cannon and I can't wait to see more of him :3

Lokaum D+

my nostalgia factor dont agree at all, i hate super and all the bs power of the unborn baby to make u into a SSJ god, that alone made every transformation into a new form not impactfull as SSJ4 did ( and SSJ4 transformation is not even that impactfull ).

god, i hate this so much, lets get hands and by the power of 2 Sayans 3 half Sayans and a fetus you ll become a Sayan God, Fuck off,

Golden Frieza, Krilin stronger than Tien, Gohan weaker than Piccolo ( he finished Z as Mystic Gohan, super isnt that much in the future ) , Goku dying from a laser gun, Whis plot saving Earth, there is a lot of bs and that is just from the Frieza Arc.

Last edited:

Spyxos

Gold Member
Is it just me or do the characters have the same animations as in Drabonball FighterZ?

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

I do not like DB games where the camera behind the character. its shit and not fun to play at all. FighterZ is still the best Dragon Ball fighting game for me and I will be skipping this for sure.

Hell, even the Graphics looks off. Z looks better. sad really. Hope we get a FighterZ sequel soon.

Top Bottom