• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Super |OT3| Men in pink? How bizarre!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Real Hero

Maybe black is just that shadow thing and reads bulmas mind before he kills her to find out her worst fear and it turns out it is 'if goku ever turned bad' and that's how it manifests itself
/ fanfiction

Ashodin

"Just an evil Goku" doesn't sound dull to me at all, Goku's always been scary as shit the few times he gets really angry/serious.

That's likely what they're playing off of here. Seeing Goku's face do very aggressive and evil looks will likely give us nightmares for years to come

Fj0823

The Super Dragon Balls are within Planets, so destroying 7 Planets kinda isn't an option. Also, the wish that was made upon it last time didn't seem all that special.

Revitalizing an entire planet and adapt in such a way that a culture that took millions of years to be achieved appears in a second is very special in my eyes

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
One bad Goku is enough. Goku absorbing himself infinity times over is too much. How would anyone beat that?

Tsunamo

I'm still holding onto hope that he is hopping around timelines absorbing other Gokus
The montage scene I never knew I wanted until now.
The Super Dragon Balls are within Planets, so destroying 7 Planets kinda isn't an option. Also, the wish that was made upon it last time didn't seem all that special.
At least he didn't wish for a new bed, that'd give Oolong a run for his money.

Honestly though I liked it. I didn't really have anything in mind for what they could possibly wish for, so Beerus showing he's got a bit of a soft spot for his Brother was nice to see.

Ashodin

I'll all aboard THE ONE Goku as well. THAT specifically would be the "How can they win?" factor to the villain.

Let's break it down:

13 Universes.

Each universe has a pairing.

1 + 12
2 + 11
3 + 10
4 + 9
5 + 8
6 + 7

Six total pairings. Imagine if each one is a replica of the other, with different events.

In our Universe 7, Goku is a good child. In the other FOUR universes, the same thing happens because of the bump on his head. In the fifth, however... Goku becomes evil instead. A totally separate timeline happens, whereupon it gets to this point where Goku acquired the God Box that Whis has and uses it to cross all universe barriers (stated in the Tournament arc). Doing this, he takes Potara with him, and tricks other Gokus into merging with him. He grows so strong that he does not need to turn Super Saiyan or ANYTHING because his power is just too overwhelming. This causes him to just name himself Black.

But something happens when he comes to Universe 7 - he finds that this universe is already destroyed, and the Goku here is dead already. He's arrived in the alternate Trunks future! He hunts down the rest of the survivors to figure out what has happened to this Goku, and comes across Trunks having a time machine. He figures if he goes back to the past, he can acquire this Universe's Goku and become The One.

One thing is for certain, if Potara is involved (a Kami creation) then it's possible ONLY the Omni-King can destroy Potara earrings.

We might get a FUCKTON of lore about the Kami and Potara and everything. I'm hyped.

I'll all aboard THE ONE Goku as well. THAT specifically would be the "How can they win?" factor to the villain.

Let's break it down:

13 Universes.

Each universe has a pairing.

1 + 12
2 + 11
3 + 10
4 + 9
5 + 8
6 + 7

Six total pairings. Imagine if each one is a replica of the other, with different events.

In our Universe 7, Goku is a good child. In the other FOUR universes, the same thing happens because of the bump on his head. In the fifth, however... Goku becomes evil instead. A totally separate timeline happens, whereupon it gets to this point where Goku acquired the God Box that Whis has and uses it to cross all universe barriers (stated in the Tournament arc). Doing this, he takes Potara with him, and tricks other Gokus into merging with him. He grows so strong that he does not need to turn Super Saiyan or ANYTHING because his power is just too overwhelming. This causes him to just name himself Black.

But something happens when he comes to Universe 7 - he finds that this universe is already destroyed, and the Goku here is dead already. He's arrived in the alternate Trunks future! He hunts down the rest of the survivors to figure out what has happened to this Goku, and comes across Trunks having a time machine. He figures if he goes back to the past, he can acquire this Universe's Goku and become The One.
Pretty sure the only universe that could have an alternate goku (or even have saiyans, period) is universe 6

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I don't think there'd be a point in mentioning the twin universes unless the others were totally different.

That is a neat idea though. I expect this arc to fully explore the different timelines and how they fit in with the multiverse. Especially since Jaco said time travel was outlawed, which means people must have done it before, somewhere

Ashodin

I don't think there'd be a point in mentioning the twin universes unless the others were totally different.

That is a neat idea though. I expect this arc to fully explore the different timelines and how they fit in with the multiverse. Especially since Jaco said time travel was outlawed, which means people must have done it before, somewhere

There are little foreshadowing and chekov's guns everywhere in the tournament arc, but they're in throwaway comments most people ignored (and will likely go back and be like HOLY SHIT THEY TALKED IT ABOUT IT ALL THE WAY BACK THEN)

Tsunamo

Time for me to go on media blackout until I wakeup and see the episode. I look forward to reading everyones reactions when i've watched it.
Pretty sure the only universe that could have an alternate goku (or even have saiyans, period) is universe 6
Yeah. I got the impession that the twin universes were similar in someways, but with key differences (as we see from Frost, earths fate, the Saiyans) and that the other twin ones were separate and completely different to universe 6 and 7, but had a similar relation to universe 6 and 7.

Real Hero

Jaco is definitely going to reprimand Trunks when he shows up

One thing is for certain, if Potara is involved (a Kami creation) then it's possible ONLY the Omni-King can destroy Potara earrings.
About that.
grXXGnk.jpg

Now of course, undoing the effects of potara is a different story, as far as we know.

SolVanderlyn

Well...the other Dragon Balls did it too. So comparatively, not really.
The other Dragon Balls revived a planet the way it was before. Changing millions of years worth of history is some next level nonsense

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Well...the other Dragon Balls did it too. So comparatively, not really.

No they didn't, they remade something that already existed. Reviving people and physically fixing the planet pales in comparison to actually altering a long dead planet to have a similar history to another and willing thousands of lives into existence.

SolVanderlyn

That image reminds me that I never read the manga.

Oh well, Kai was probably better or close enough anyway

That image reminds me that I never read the manga.

Oh well, Kai was probably better or close enough anyway

Probably, I'm sure it was in kai as well though, it should be when they've been absorbed by buu, when they defuse, vegeta immediately destroys his potara earring, so they can't fuse again when they get out.

It was just easier to find the pictures on google from the manga.

Kai was close enough to the manga, just with some scenes slightly changed and some anime filler left in. it really boils down to whether you prefer reading manga or watching anime.

To this day the only big-ish thing that irks me about the changes Toei made from the manga is this.

NeonZ

At this point we still don't know how different the non-twin universes are. It's speculated that they're completely different (races, planets, etc) but that's just speculation at this point. Although I guess that would make the distinction of twin universes rather pointless.

Still, if they are completely different, it'd mean most competitors in the 12 universe tournament would basically be random aliens, which has its own disadvantages.

SolVanderlyn

I'm starting to think the blue hair is only for the viewer, and not an in-universe thing

someone told me this idea where goku black is actually future goten and i'm like that's dumb but i can't stop thinking about it help

Kai was close enough to the manga, just with some scenes slightly changed and some anime filler left in. it really boils down to whether you prefer reading manga or watching anime.

To this day the only big-ish thing that irks me about the changes Toei made from the manga is this.

That is so damn subtle but says a lot about Goku's character at that point. Shame about the translation to anime.

SolVanderlyn

How many pages of commentary do you think we'll get when the episode airs? My guess is 5

Incoming

WHAT IS THIS

THERE HE IS, MY BOY TRUNKS

SHIT

OH MAN IT'S BLACK

About 5 pages of that

The best part about knowing that this is going to be a "do or die" arc, is the fact that EVERYONE will fight.

I'm expecting Piccolo, Tien, even Yamcha to show up to try and defend the Earth. Just like the Android saga.

SolVanderlyn

Please read the OP.
To be fair, the discussion got pretty confusing. Someone said that the blue hair was only to differentiate between current/future Trunks. What they meant is that the DB Heroes art didn't need to do this, but it's easy to misinterpret.

I'm most looking forward to the possibility of Beerus and Whis having to get in on the action.
We might finally see Whis fight.

NeonZ

Wait so thats current universe Trunks and not Future Trunks?!

No, that's Future Trunks with a different hair color. The speculation about a timeskip has nothing to do with that image.

Trunks' VA mentioned that young Trunks might start maturing soon after meeting his older self, although it's likely just personality-wise.

I don't see the difference, what is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom