• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 1-8 coming to smartphones.

flonty

After these last few years, I can't honestly say that I'll miss Square Enix when they're gone.

I won't say that I hope they fail, but it's getting to the point where their direction does not intersect at all with what I want as a gamer who primarily plays JRPGs.

I feel the same. I don't want them to fail. I realize that I am not part of the target audience and will insteand support other developers.
Square Enix and their games are no longer something I look forward to. The same goes to Capcom. If mobile phones/tablets are the market they are aiming for then good for them.
I couldn't care less.

I'm not mad, just a bit sad because this probably means DQ8 won't be ported to a handheld, and assuming these come out in English, DQ7 on the 3DS is unlikely to be brought over.
The iOS market might be large, but the market for a sub-premium priced RPG remake on that storefront isn't. Dragon Quest IX sold reasonably well on DS too.

Making a well loved series available to a shit-ton of people is a 'fuck you'?

OK I will reserve judgment until they are released

But i expect the development to be quick and dirty, low quality and god knows if it will be localized

The frustration with SE's direction is justified dude

plufim

DQ7 sold millions on 3DS, at full price.

I can't see why they'd put DQ8 on phones first rather than 3DS. To get the same return they have to sell at least 4 times the number of units, if not more.

You know

I wouldn't be so mad if someone would make a successor to the Xperia play and if they bothered to patch in controller supported modes into the game.

Something about playing traditional games on a touchscreen just rubs me the wrong way even though Turn based RPGs should make perfect sense for Mobile.

Not a FAN of SE's DRM practices on their mobile titles either

Madouu

I can't see why they'd put DQ8 on phones first rather than 3DS. To get the same return they have to sell at least 4 times the number of units, if not more.

Get the traditional audience to get used to play DQ games on their phones.

DQVIII unlike the 3DS remake of VII is a port, so it can't have cost much work to bring VIII. Plus I dunno, seems like 3DS will have a lot of trouble running VIII. I still think there's room for an VIII remake
on the next generation of mobiles/tablets.

Vandole

This is where my confusion lays as well. They haven't done anything less than make a bucket of money with the DQ games on the DS and 3DS. Why not put DQ8 on a 3DS and charge $40 where there is no question of it selling millions? I think the most they could possibly get away with on mobile would be maybe $20 to $25.

wrowa

This is where my confusion lays as well. They haven't done anything less than make a bucket of money with the DQ games on the DS and 3DS. Why not put DQ8 on a 3DS and charge $40 where there is no question of it selling millions? I think the most they could possibly get away with on mobile would be maybe $20 to $25.

It's probably a lot easier to put DQVIII on smartphones than on the 3DS. Keep in mind that modern phones are a lot more powerful than the 3DS.

Minsc

Gold Member
I guess, but VIII is a beautiful game. Just seems like a waste to play that game on a small screen.

But it should actually run at higher res than a PS2, so the detail would be there, minus whatever sort of crazy cropping they use if there's no landscape support. Which is the biggest legitimate complaint I can see now, the screenshot in the OP looks more like an endless runner than a DQ game.

More games for a touch-screen that I don't want to play with a touch-screen.

I wish there would be more devices developed like the Nvidia Shield, so that gamepad support for Android games would take off.

M3d10n

DQ on phones in Japan is nothing new, unless I'm remembering wrong I'm pretty sure old DQ games got Japanese phone ports years ago, probably even in the pre-iPhone age.

It's probably a lot easier to put DQVIII on smartphones than on the 3DS. Keep in mind that modern phones are a lot more powerful than the 3DS.

They will still need to cut/compress down on stuff to make the game download package fit in under 2GBs.

Empty

would be great if now they're embracing digital they'd also put the old games on 3ds and wii u virtual console

but they won't of course.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Why is everyone gnashing teeth? Dragon quest will be great on a phone. OMG finally hd mainline dq /troll

The portrait mode even fits for a 3DS release:

cry_3dsfagsh9uaf.png

Hehe, Square is trollin' 3DS fans.

FF V android...now this?....square is dead to me
I feel like people wouldn't feel this way, if "mobile" didn't have such a flawed history.

People don't like playing games on a touch-screen. And neither do I.
But if the PlayStation Vita was running a modified version of Android rather than FreeBSD, would people really have a problem with it?

I want to believe that what people don't like about mobile is games like Final Fantasy All The Bravest.

Ntsouls

Banned
This is something Microsoft should have made a deal with them to have done, along with achievement filled versions of the first 12 Final Fantasies, in order to get some respect in Japan.

Regardless it's pretty f-ed up that no xbla, psn versions are coming.
I HATE square enix. Deus Ex the Fall should have been an indication of their intentions.

Inotti

I just want DQ7 & DQ8 for 3DS or Vita. Why would anyone want to play these kind of games with smartphone...? o_O

SmokyDave

I feel like people wouldn't feel this way, if "mobile" didn't have such a flawed history.

But if the PlayStation Vita was running a modified version of Android rather than FreeBSD, would people really have a problem with it?

I want to believe that what people don't like about mobile is games like Final Fantasy All The Bravest.

I don't even think the bolded bit is true. Vocal enthusiasts on an internet forum don't like playing on touch screens. Nobody else seems to give a shit. To the young 'uns growing up today, touchscreens are probably a far more natural interface than a lump of plastic covered in buttons and sticks.

I agree with your last bit though, the bit people should really take issue with are the exploitative business models that are ripe in mobile gaming. I'm hoping that higher priced 'complete' games will come to achieve such popularity that F2P with exploitative IAP is relegated to Candy Crush style games.

Maedhros

I hate smartphones and smartphone games and Square Enix. My hate is infinite, it'll never end.

I'll rage forever if the future of japanese gaming is mobile.

Ntsouls

Banned

No way in hell would we have a problem if that were true. In fact if vita ran a modified version of Android and allowed me to make calls. I would buy 9 of them.

Asd202

I find all the reactions here funny. I mean SE has been doing stuff like this for years now, it's not long away from the point where everything will crash and burn for them.

I'll rage forever if the future of japanese gaming is mobile.

Dude it's already happening lol.

Ourobolus

Banned
Huh. Considering the only one I have left to beat is 7 (working on 3 right now), not sure how to feel about this.

Would totally love a portable DQ8, but...

I don't even think the bolded bit is true. Vocal enthusiasts on an internet forum don't like playing on touch screens. Nobody else seems to give a shit. To the young 'uns growing up today, touchscreens are probably a far more natural interface than a lump of plastic covered in buttons and sticks.
I don't know about that. I've tried playing a lot of games on the touch screen.

It just doesn't have the same degree of precision and control needed.
Maybe on a large tablet where touch accuracy is vastly improved from the $300 tablet of today. Could touch buttons be equal or approaching equal to actual buttons. But that's not what I've experienced, personally.

What it all comes down to, is would you want to try to beat the Yellow Devil from Mega Man with a touch screen? As thing currently stand, I certainly wouldn't. And I'm not sure it would be "natural" for anyone.

SmokyDave

I don't know about that. I've tried playing a lot of games on the touch screen.

It just doesn't have the same degree of precision and control needed.
Maybe on a large tablet where touch accuracy is vastly improved from the $300 tablet of today. Could touch buttons be equal or approaching equal to actual buttons. But that's not what I've experienced, personally.

What it all comes down to, is would you want to try to beat the Yellow Devil from Mega Man with a touch screen? As thing currently stand, I certainly wouldn't. And I'm not sure it would be "natural" for anyone.
I dig the precision thing. Hell, even Apple seem to with the advent of a controller standard. I'm just not convinced that 'people don't want to play on touchscreens' is true. If 'people' didn't, mobile gaming wouldn't have trampled handheld gaming in such a short time.

I'm not saying for one second that touchscreens are better, just that they're good enough for many, many people.

Top Bottom