• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 11 Announced! [PS4/3DS (simultaneous), NX (tentative)]

Rflagg

Day 1 for ps4 it feels like forever since I have played a console dragon quest. I really love the art style, hopefully it won't take too long to localize it.

I missed it in the other stuff, but is DQXI supposed to be more akin to old DQ games, with a hero and actual pre-written party members, or will it be more like 3/9 where you're just making your other characters to join you?

It really came out of nowhere, after everything had been done/said about it. I know it's coming to PS4/3DS, but them mentioning it coming to NX was probably the most noteworthy thing about it (the next being 3 different styles IMO) because DQXI is now attached to this mysterious thing no one outside of the development community has a clue about.

It's not a thing you see happen too often, especially for a Nintendo system.

Yeah, I agree completely. Even if they were planning it, you'd normally expect them to keep quiet until more was made public. It also makes it easier to stop that version if they really wanted to cancel it for whatever reason. So the fact that they mentioned it at all is really, really strange

0gyMXJo.gif

MY GOD ITS GLORIOUS

I WILL BE ABLE TO PLAY DQ ON MY PS4 PRAISE THE GODS THE NEW AND THE OLD

That looks good, interested in this.

DQXI seems to cover them all.. the powerful system, least powerful system and one that doesn't exist yet. Nice job, SE! Still confused about it lol!

NX ey? That's an interesting announcement. Can't wait to see how it compares to the PS4 version. I'm guessing it won't be another completely different SKU-thingy.

PsionBolt

The 3DS version is looking crazy awesome, wow.

I can't shake the feeling that I've seen the fantastically outstanding 3D screen + 2D screen feature somewhere before, but I can't put my finger on exactly where... Anyone else feeling that way?
The Nameless Game, Beyond the Labyrinth, and Guadia Quest all came to mind, but none of those are really the same thing. I may just be misremembering, and this has never been done before... But I still can't shake the feeling.

jackdoe

It almost feels like the 3DS version is subsidizing the development costs for the PS4 version. I definitely wouldn't have imagined SE skipping over the PS3 version if it didn't exist. Now,the scale of the PS4 version could be potentially larger thanks to the 3DS version of the game.

Kikujiro

Why are people questioning a western release of the PS4 version? Of course it's coming, can you name me a JRPG for the PS4 that's not coming in the west?
All the big-hitters from S-E are already coming, they even announced a new Nier at E3 and Project Setsuna (both unannounced JRPGs) and we know how great the PS4 sales are in the west. Just give them the chance to announce it properly sometime in the future (probably not before next year).

andymcc

Banned
If this is NX, I suppose it'll release at or around system launch of the game releases when it's supposed to barring no delays. If that's the case, I could imagine there being a pretty big demand for a timely localization so it could meet system launch in all regions...

FStubbs

It'll probably be PS4 exclusive outside of Japan. Hope it makes it over. At this point it seems likely, it's the 3DS in the West that it seems SE doesn't like since DQ content on every other platform is making it over.

I'll get the PS4 version and, if it should come over, a handheld version. (3DS unless the NX is a handheld.)

It's funny that this is the first announced NX game.

Why are people questioning a western release of the PS4 version? Of course it's coming, can you name me a JRPG for the PS4 that's not coming in the west?
All the big-hitters from S-E are already coming, they even announced a new Nier at E3 and Project Setsuna (both unannounced JRPGs) and we know how great the PS4 sales are in the west. Just give them the chance to announce it properly sometime in the future (probably not before next year).

I am still waiting for Dragon's Dogma Online

Who would have thought that Unreal Engine would revive SE's console development side. I thought PS4/PS3 would be the announced platforms, but this covers all the bases and all of the relevant demographics in Japan and abroad.

The only thing the announcement says about the NX is that a) it can run a decent version of UE4 and b) it will have some way to play traditional games no matter how outlandish it is.

Edit: In retrospect, this makes all of the "Horii would never allow his baby to be multiplatform" talk from years past seem silly. There are market realities that make an exclusive for any current platform a terrible choice.

Sinople

Both versions managed to impress me in their own ways, good job SE. Now that it's pretty much a given I'll end up buying both, the question is which one to play first...

I like the hero's design a lot too, my second favorite after Five.

Im just saying. It wouldn't be hard you know.
I think it would be hard. Builders and Heroes are on other engines, the Heroes engine was already working on Vita, dunno what engine Builders has.

DQXI PS4 is not possible, because Vita has no official support for UE4, and i doubt the engine for the 3DS title is currently running on Vita.

Basically, Vita gets some leftovers for Heroes and Builders.

Top Bottom