• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 11 Announced! [PS4/3DS (simultaneous), NX (tentative)]

CK_q-8rUYAAPTkT.jpg:orig

Unreal Engine 4 saving Square Enix

Look at those next gen JRPGs!

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I think it would be hard. Builders and Heroes are on other engines, the Heroes engine was already working on Vita, dunno what engine Builders has.

DQXI PS4 is not possible, because Vita has no official support for UE4, and i doubt the engine for the 3DS title is currently running on Vita.

Basically, Vita gets some leftovers for Heroes and Builders.

Builders because Minecraft did so well on Vita, Heroes because Omega Force does a ton of work on the platform.

so they went with all options for platforms

the 3DS version and the console version looks like different games

I wonder how different will they be? maybe enough to warrant me to buy both

Holmes

I think having 2D on the bottom screen of the 3DS is really neat. Although watching it in motion in gifs and in the video footage, it seemed more like a distraction than anything else since all the action is on the 3D screen.

sensui-tomo

Vita is dead. Why release a huge DQ game on the handheld with a small user base?

User base is larger than the wii-u in japan, which leads me to assume the NX announcement is a "Lets see if nx will be like wii-u" strategy so they can get out at the last moment. But SE's support of the vita has been meh compared to psp. Anyways... the game looks great, gonna get it on the ps4 when it comes out.

They're both bright, vividly-colored games, and it just happens that the area we've recently seen of KH3 looks like what they showed for DQXI. But otherwise, I don't think they really have much in common graphically.
They have alot common in those pics. Not tryna fight the power or anything I like how they look. Thats just my opinion.

This is horrible but grabbed some screens from the presentation. They are cropped from the projector screen and then compressed by the video. So its like ... the worst way possible to showcase anything, but thats what we got so far.

iI2UchTWuVzuf.png

i46ZPMdNSNlhP.png

ibsrbQciIzIldC.png

iilSrp1ubqsuT.png

ibzaRUtPr5zo7W.png

Can't wait for that JUMP article and then perhaps a direct feed trailer type video or something

Meffer

User base is larger than the wii-u in japan, which leads me to assume the NX announcement is a "Lets see if nx will be like wii-u" strategy so they can get out at the last moment.
The NX makes sense because it's a brand new system. And what better way to get people to buy one than with a brand new mainline DQ game?

sense

I guess this was why verendus was laughing at pennywise.

verendus kinda hinted it being on 3ds as well without really mentioning it lol throwing out like every platform under the sun the game could be on. that dude knows how to troll

as far as the announcement goes i am legitimately surprised it is on 3ds and ps4. i didn't think they would go cross gen.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
User base is larger than the wii-u in japan, which leads me to assume the NX announcement is a "Lets see if nx will be like wii-u" strategy so they can get out at the last moment. But SE's support of the vita has been meh compared to psp. Anyways... the game looks great, gonna get it on the ps4 when it comes out.

You do realise DQ X did extremely well in Japan, right both on Wii and Wii U, and even expansions on the wii u sell decently?

The NX makes sense because it's a brand new system. And what better way to get people to buy one than with a brand new mainline DQ game?

Given their recent push to get people moving to PS4, I can see them wanting to wait and see on NX and what Nintendo is actually planning to do to *not* repeat the WiiU's record before they devote time and money to a version they might not need.

SS

ßig

Unconfirmed Member
I think having 2D on the bottom screen of the 3DS is really neat. Although watching it in motion in gifs and in the video footage, it seemed more like a distraction than anything else since all the action is on the 3D screen.

They demonstrated that you can play the game on the bottom screen by using the d-pad instead. That's why the dialogue appeared on the bottom screen.

Okay Im very happy with platforms. But Wat? Since when do such mega titles get announced for a platform (NX) with no name, release date, or 1st party titles announced for it from Nintendo? And since when does a 3rd party announce a title for a Nintendo platform before Nintendo does?

Google Translator said:
さらに、任天堂株式会社が開発中の「NX」※での発売も検討しております。

In addition, Nintendo Co., Ltd. We are also considering the launch of in ※ "NX" in development.

Just so it's "clear".
They're apparently looking into it.

But I think it's a given. Why else would they even say something like that?

Gutss

I can't even describe how happy i'm right now.DQXI for PS4 seems to be like the DQ game of my dreams.It simply looks incredible and looks like a true successor of DQVIII (one of my favorite games of all time).
3DS version also looks pretty good and to be honest it looks like a completely different and independent game from the PS4 version.If it comes in the west i think i'd buy it too since it will give me a very different experience.

But i really think that the importance of DQXI being on PS4 goes way beyond SE's interests and it will pave the road for more (relatively) ambitious JRPGs to come from other Japanese publishers on the system.This gen looks like it will be the renaissance of home console JRPGs and i'm beyond happy for that!

Just like the ps1 and ps2 era i really dig that!!, now other third party jrpg makers will need to follow like the old times for this to happen, best case scenario well get some defferent kinds of jrpg's and i loved it.

sense

Yeah, he does know stuff, but he did say Xenosaga HD and a new Suikoden game was happening. Hard to believe.

and you think they won't happen? i feel like he has been right so far with everything. then again who knows with suikoden knowing it is from konami. plans could have fallen through.

Top Bottom