• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lets talk about Sonys First Party Studios and their upcoming Projects

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
What's this The Order isn't really a first-party game rhetoric about?

1. The Order is copyrighted and trademarked by SCEA
2. The Order is published by SCEA
3. The Order is produced by SCEA and SCE Santa Monica Studio
4. The Order is developed by Ready At Dawn Studios under SCEWW

Just the first two alone make it a first-party game.

Ready At Dawn isn't a first party studio, im hoping that will change soon.

Zukkoyaki

I find it silly myself. If anyone argues that games like The Order and Bloodborne aren't first party, just remind them that the new Smash Bros was developed by Namco and therefore isn't a first party Nintendo game according to their logic. They shut up quick haha.

My personal criteria is published, funded, and owned by a console manufacturer.

brett2

Great job OP. I can't say that I am overly excited about most of those sequels but of course I would be pumped if a new Crash or Ape Escape was announced. I'm more excited to see what the new series have to offer.

They're about 120-130 employees there. Not exactly small, but not huge either. From the conversations I've had, they spent a huge amount of time perfecting the engine for this initial installment. Time constraints came into play, goals slashed, but that's not really uncommon in development.

However, what has me most excited is that the main focus in a possible sequel are the gameplay systems. That's what was stated to me. The engine is in place and they're free to put all their efforts into gameplay design. And they want to do this, it isn't a result of any backlash over The Order's design, they as a team want that. By no means do they think the game's perfect as it is.

Heh, I wasn't saying that a sequel's already greenlit, but I can tell you it certainly won't take 3 years.

2017 --> The Order 1887

Percy

Banned
So this is how the PS4 Exclusive games are looking so far

1. Killzone SF was a Meh
  2. Knack is between Bad and Meh
  3. inFamous Second was Good
  4. MLB 14 The Show was Good.
  5. The Last of Us Remastered was Excellent but it was also a port.
  6. DriveClub started as Meh is now considered Good
  7. LBP 3 was Good
  8. The Order 1886 [not exactly a First Party game] is a Meh

Now Compare this to PS3 Exclusive games within the same time frame.

1. Resistance Fall of Man was Good
  2. Motorstorm was Good
  3. MLB 07 The Show was Good
  4. Lair [not exactly a First Party game] was Bad
  5. Warhawk was Good
  6. Heavenly Sword was Good
  7. Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction was Good
  8. Uncharted Drake's Fortune was Great

Nothing against the PS4, but I find it funny that PS4 is selling so many consoles without that many Good exclusives but this time around they have the third party lead that PS3 lacked. PS3 had greater amount of good exclusives but many of the third party games were being bought on X360. Kinda goes to show that 3rd Party Games are the true console sellers and that the console exclusives are just there to give you the choice on whether you want one or the other.

edit: forgot LBP 3 / TLOU

I agree on third party titles being what sell consoles to the masses, but I gotta say... I thought Resistance and Heavenly Sword were hot trash and I can recall them being received as such at the time (This could be me misremembering admittedly).

I agree on third party titles being what sell consoles to the masses, but I gotta say... I thought Resistance and Heavenly Sword were hot trash and I can recall them being received as such at the time (This could be me misremembering admittedly).

Resistance was a good game and had a pretty dedicated fanbase (who Insomniac would later shit on with Resistance 2).

Heavenly Sword though, yeah. If he thinks The Order is meh, I'd love to see him try to justify saying Heavenly Sword was good. It was pretty for a first generation PS3 game and had good voice acting but that was pretty much all it did well. The story, combat, bosses and level design were all pretty bad.

And as jackissocool pointed out, he conveniently ignored all the small first party titles Sony have released (though Velocity 2X shouldn't be on that list at all).

Resistance was definitely very well received critically and commercially. Heavenly Sword got middling reception.
And as jackissocool pointed out, he conveniently ignored all the small first party titles Sony have released (though Velocity 2X shouldn't be on that list at all).
I put V2X because it was a pub fund game and a true exclusive and Futurlab has a very close relationship with SCEE. I know it's a stretch but the game wouldn't exist without Sony and I just love it.

1. Resistance Fall of Man was Meh
  2. Motorstorm was Good
  4. Lair [not exactly a First Party game] was Trash
  5. Warhawk was Good
  6. Heavenly Sword was Trash
  8. Uncharted Drake's Fortune was Good

Fixed.

Fdkn

I still don't get what people like about Heavenly Sword. It was pretty but the gameplay was a huge stepback for what the genre had already offered.

alterno69

Banned
  1. Killzone SF was a Good
  2. Knack was good
  4. The Last of Us Remastered was Excellent but it was also a port.
  5. DriveClub started as Meh is now considered Good
  6. The Order 1886 [not exactly a First Party game] Is great

2. Motorstorm was Great
  3. Warhawk was Good
  4. Heavenly Sword was Amazing and less as first party as The Order
  5. Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction was Good
  6. Uncharted Drake's Fortune was Great

From my experience, so far the PS4 has been a much better experience than my PS3 was in the same period thanks to a more robust online experience and third party support.

2. Motorstorm was Good
  5. Warhawk was Good
  7. Folklore was THE BEST!!!

Folklore.jpg
  8. Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction was Good
  9. Uncharted Drake's Fortune was Great

Fixed.

Resistance was definitely very well received critically and commercially. Heavenly Sword got middling reception.

I put V2X because it was a pub fund game and a true exclusive and Futurlab has a very close relationship with SCEE. I know it's a stretch but the game wouldn't exist without Sony and I just love it.

The thread is about first party games, trying to muddy the waters by including third party games, regardless of circumstance (pub funded, exclusivity or whatever) is just going to lead to a clusterfuck.

If Futurlab ends up selling Velocity to Sony, like Housemarque did with Super Stardust, then fine. Until then, it's third party.

Melchiah

1. Killzone SF was a Meh
  7. LBP 3 was Good

2. Motorstorm was Good
  5. Warhawk was Good

Nothing against the PS4, but I find it funny that PS4 is selling so many consoles without that many Good exclusives but this time around they have the third party lead that PS3 lacked. PS3 had greater amount of good exclusives but many of the third party games were being bought on X360. Kinda goes to show that 3rd Party Games are the true console sellers and that the console exclusives are just there to give you the choice on whether you want one or the other.

Alternatively, from my point of view...

PS4:
  1. Killzone: SF wasn't without faults, but I found it enjoyable
  2. Knack wasn't my kind of game
  3. Resogun was great
  4. inFamous: SS was very good
  5. MLB 14 - not interested in sports
  6. TLOU:R - it was great to play it again in a better form
  7. inFamous: FL was very good
  8. DriveClub is the best racing game in years
  9. LBP3 wasn't my kind of game
  10. The Order 1886 wasn't without faults, but I found it very enjoyable

PS3:
  1. RFOM was great
  2. Motorstorm was pretty good, but lacked local multiplayer
  3. MLB 07 - not interested in sports
  4. Lair - apparently awful
  5. Warhawk - not my kind of game
  6. Heavenly Sword was mediocre, and I never finished it
  7. R&C:TOD wasn't to my taste, and I never finished it
  8. Uncharted: DF I skipped altogether based on the demo

The PS3 had only two games, RFOM, and MotorStorm, in the same frame that I enjoyed, whereas the PS4 had seven games, which only goes to show how these things differ from one person to another.

johnny956

I was under the same impression. Did not enjoy resistance (like 2 and 3 more) and I did play heavenly sword but performance on that game struggled at times

Melchiah

RFOM's Metacritic average is 86, and 8.1 on the user side. I guess it shows how things have changed, that Heavenly Sword has 79, and 8.3 user average. I imagine it would have scored far lower today.

1. Killzone SF was a Meh
  7. LBP 3 was Good

2. Motorstorm was Good
  5. Warhawk was Good

Those PS3 games were not perceived that nicely back then. And if you're trying to say they were, that's more than a little revisionist.

To be fair, I don't think that's right anyway, but I think there's more than a little hyperbole to the quality you attribute to the PS4 games.

My Bad, I didn't mean to make things get out of hand XD
I should have put that it wasn't based on my opinion, more like the general consensus.

Let me revise the List

Killzone SF was Okay
Knack (Opinion is split in the middle some think it was Okay, some think it was Meh)
inFamous Second was Good
MLB 14 The Show was Good
The Last of Us Remastered was Excellent but it was also a port.
DriveClub started as Meh is now considered Good
LBP 3 was Good
The Order 1886 (Opinion is split in the middle some think it was Good, some think it was Meh)

In addition, Downloadable Exclusive releases include:

Hohokum was Great
Counterspy was Good
Resogun was Great
Velocity 2X was Great
Doki Doki Universe was Meh
Entwined was Meh
inFamous First Light was Good

Resistance Fall of Man (Opinion is split in the middle some think is Good, some think is was Meh)
Motorstorm was Good
MLB 07 The Show was Good
Lair was Bad
Warhawk was Good
Heavenly Sword (Opinion is split in the middle some think is Good, some think it was Meh)
Folklore was Okay
Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction was Good
Uncharted Drake's Fortune was Good

In addition, Downloadable Exclusive releases include:

Flow was Good
Super Stardust HD was Great
Pain was Meh
High Velocity Bowling was Okay

Okay so now it is a bit more fair, I hope. PS4 is killing it when it comes to Downloadable games and as for Retail games, the PS3 has a small lead which is not saying much especially when you compare what came in 2008 to whats coming in 2015.
I'll be interesting to see if Bloodborne can be a better 3rd Party Exclusive than MGS4 .

Okay so now it is a bit more fair, I hope. PS4 is killing it when it comes to Downloadable games and as for Retail games, the PS3 has a small lead which is not saying much especially when you compare what came in 2008 to whats coming in 2015.
I'll be interesting to see if Bloodborne can be a better 3rd Party Exclusive than MGS4 .

Bloodborne is totally different from MGS4, though. MGS4 was the last gasp of the trend of major third party exclusives that weren't moneyhats. Bloodborne is being published and partially developed by Sony and they own the IP.

And I see you downgrading First Light to good from great. I see you. I see you.

Oh goody, more list wars!!! All we need are metacritic scores and the prophecy will be complete.

As for the OP I'm really hoping that Sony Japan RPG comes to fruition. More JRPGs are never a bad thing.

& what happens if Verendus wasn't right :p

he didnt say anything, its just my own assumption based on his hints.

1.He said it will be an Big Budget JRPG for an worldwide audience - so E3 would be the best place to reveal it

2.I remember him saying this game will be revealed in 2015

So my Guess e3 2015 :)

Turkoop

Banned
he didnt say anything, its just my own assumption based on his hints.

1.He said it will be an Big Budget JRPG for an worldwide audience - so E3 would be the best place to reveal it

2.I remember him saying this game will be revealed in 2015

So my Guess e3 2015 :)

I meant generally, he posted a list.
i'm not refering only that JRPG

So is Bloodborne Sony's first chance for a truly great 1st Party Release?

Well, OK 2nd party, but same difference.

I'd argue Infamous: Second Son was a truly great game.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Has there been any mention of any other future SCE studios? I know SONY still has a facility in Salt Lake City (which I think housed some R&D and Incognito inc?), and there have been rumors of a facility in China.

Pretty sure they are in pre production or just entering main production according to Verendus. Or what statements do you mean?

He said this a few weeks ago

This year, you'll likely be able to remove the RPGs from there too since the unannounced three will probably be out in the open, and that includes the two JRPGs I mentioned long ago. Although one of them is pretty much "plans subject to change" so please don't send me a dozen PMs insulting me if you don't see everything. It's great to be passionate, but still weird. Also, you all should stop calling the second one a FF killer. It's just kind of wrong really. How would you feel if I said that about you? And as we know, games and pieces of plastic have feelings.

What if Verendu's game and the Level 5 game are one and the same?

He said its a bid budget Japano Rpg from Sony Japan

Hmmm, I'm not sure which console I was enjoying more at this point. I think I played more on PS3 early on, so I guess I'll have to with Resistance, Motorstorm, Warhawk and Stadust. When Pixel Junk Monsters came out, I was addicted for a good month or two as well. PS4 hasn't been bad though, fell in love with Infamous, Destiny, and now DriveClub. But still looking for another Pixel Junk moment.

So is Bloodborne Sony's first chance for a truly great 1st Party Release?

Well, OK 2nd party, but same difference.

I'd argue Infamous: Second Son was a truly great game.
Mechanically I agree, but it was missing content. I think to be truly great, it has to be a larger amount of replay value and content so it feels like one of the best $60 investments you ever made. The sequel though IMO can be a huge franchise for Sony. I keep saying it, but all Infamous needs is the standard sequel treatment, bigger/better/faster will work wonders here.

I think Blood Borne will be PS4's biggest exclusive critically, not sure about commercially though. The Order and DriveClub both seem likely to be million sellers and the current king is Killzone because so many people got it at launch.

But almost every big SCE Japan Studio game is developed by an external developer. No way I see them developing an in-house RPG.

hm maybe youre right about that...He didnt specifically say that Sony Japan is developing it

'Unannounced JRPG 2' will be SCE's second attempt at a big game emulating FF. If this comes to fruition, and is successful, then there is a franchise opportunity which can be exploited. Probably the most experimental project as if it bombs, then they'll never touch anything like it again. I don't think it will though. With the advent of FF15, KH3, and the announcement of FF16 sometime between 2014-2015, Japan gamers will be ready for this. The big question mark is whether they can translate some of that success to the West which will obviously be an aim.

But isnt Sony Japan the biggest Studio from SCE?
The Last Guardian is developed by a big team right?

Lingitiz

My Bad, I didn't mean to make things get out of hand XD
I should have put that it wasn't based on my opinion, more like the general consensus.

Let me revise the List

I think the important thing you have to note is the importance of the PS3 games that came out in that time period. Resistance and Uncharted became tentpole franchises for Sony, with the latter now being their most recognizable series. MLB 07 was one of the first in now what is generally considered one of the best sports series out there. Ratchet TOD had the series on the upswing and set the table for future installments.

Compare that to what we have now. Killzone 3 was thought to hopefully be an anomaly but now with ShadowFall people aren't necessarily clamoring for more. Knack was the very definition of mediocre. Driveclub could have been a big franchise to help bridge the long gaps between GT games, but the launch generated so much negativity that I'm not sure if a sequel can recover from that. LBP3 was a by the numbers version of the game that not alot people were asking for, and I'm betting most don't want a sequel unless it goes full 3D. The Order could have been a tentpole for the entire generation but now we're left wondering if a sequel will even happen.

It's so hard to compare the digital games directly because DD was hardly a big thing back in 06-07. That said, Sony is adjusting to the new state of the industry by encouraging indie devs on their platform. Then again, they are really just a far far ways away from Steam, but it comes with the nature of the platform. Still, I think in terms of importance and setting the table for much grander things, the PS4's first party lineup leaves so much to be desired.

The need for a "Killer App" hasn't really existed this generation, but still I would hope that Sony (and MS) are able to establish new franchises that we'll be talking about years from now as really important.

MrxDemix

Banned
Great job OP!

Only changes I would make is the mentioning of a new IP early in the works at Naughty Dog, and that Guerilla Cambridge is supposedly making another FPS (most likely Killzone, but don't remember the source).

1. Killzone SF was a Meh
  7. LBP 3 was Good

2. Motorstorm was Good
  5. Warhawk was Good

Exactly how I feel. Platform has been dry so far in terms of first-party. Third-party had been the hero so far.

Meh, 360 was trash from 2009-2013 and dominated in the US. Legit had no games.

In my humble opinion, Sonys first party during the PS3 era was the best first party output ever so they have a tall order to replicate that success. But the first year wasn't that strong. Going by that list:

Resistance Fall of Man--Very fun cooping with friend but it wasn't a great game
Motorstorm- Had my fill with the demo, 2 and 3 really stepped it up
MLB 07 The Show- not my bag
Lair [not exactly a First Party game]-- really bad
Warhawk--Amazing MP game
Heavenly Sword--Enjoyable romp but forgettable.
Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction--didn't play
Uncharted Drake's Fortune--amazing.

Comparing them to the PS4 counterpart, I enjoyed Shadowfall more than Resistance but it was missing Coop so thats give and take. Knack was better than Lair. Nothing is as good as Warhawk for multiplayer goodness. The Order was a better experience than Heavenly sword and very memorable. I liked Infamous better then the Ratchet series in general but didn't play Tools, Driveclub was much better than Motorstorm 1, there isn't a LBP3 equivalent and TLOU is the best game ever in 60 fps but Uncharted was a fresh experience that blew me away.

There are other games worth noting like Siren, Pixeljunk Monsters, and Folklore which brought a ton of charm that the PS4 is arguably missing. I'd give the slight edge to PS3 but its not cut and dry. I think the future is bright for PS4 and next gen consoles though due to the crazy amount of RAM alone, its a much smoother experience just playing these new consoles.

What really gives PS4 the advantage though is Multiplats compared to last gen, but this thread isn't about that.

Mikey Jr.

That goes back to my original point that Yoshida is not a very good President since he is allowing too many bad projects to go into production like Knack, Driveclub, The order, and a UC4 by the same team that fucked up UC3. These projects needed to be held to a higher standard and examined under more scrutiny which clearly wasn't happening.

I think he's great.

You just showed me a kids game, a racer, a third person shooter, and an action adventure game. Seems like a great diversity.

I think the important thing you have to note is the importance of the PS3 games that came out in that time period. Resistance and Uncharted became tentpole franchises for Sony, with the latter now being their most recognizable series. MLB 07 was one of the first in now what is generally considered one of the best sports series out there. Ratchet TOD had the series on the upswing and set the table for future installments.

Compare that to what we have now. Killzone 3 was thought to hopefully be an anomaly but now with ShadowFall people aren't necessarily clamoring for more. Knack was the very definition of mediocre. Driveclub could have been a big franchise to help bridge the long gaps between GT games, but the launch generated so much negativity that I'm not sure if a sequel can recover from that. LBP3 was a by the numbers version of the game that not alot people were asking for, and I'm betting most don't want a sequel unless it goes full 3D. The Order could have been a tentpole for the entire generation but now we're left wondering if a sequel will even happen.

It's so hard to compare the digital games directly because DD was hardly a big thing back in 06-07. That said, Sony is adjusting to the new state of the industry by encouraging indie devs on their platform. Then again, they are really just a far far ways away from Steam, but it comes with the nature of the platform. Still, I think in terms of importance and setting the table for much grander things, the PS4's first party lineup leaves so much to be desired.

The need for a "Killer App" hasn't really existed this generation, but still I would hope that Sony (and MS) are able to establish new franchises that we'll be talking about years from now as really important.

It's easy to look back at that first PS3 year in hindsight and see how important Uncharted and MLB The Show were but we had no idea at the time. It wasn't until a couple years later that either of them actually became what they are now. So trying to look back on the first PS4 year after only a few months later is absurd. For all we know, The Order: 1997 and Driveclub 2 may be huge. You can't say.

Also, calling Resistance a tentpole franchise is a stretch. I'd actually consider it the opposite of Uncharted, in that it looked like it'd be a tentpole franchise for Sony but then Resistance 2 came out and killed it dead.

Hasn't this been gone over enough times already? If Sony owns, funds and publishes a title, it's first party. Lair, The Order: 1886 and Bloodborne are first party.

Just found this list again from Verendus

I had some second thoughts about doing this, but what the hell? I don't think it will matter if it's like this. Sony has exclusive games coming from the following:

- Sega
- Capcom
- Level-5
- Namco Bandai
- Lockstarter (lol)
- Lazyeye (lol)
- Warner Bros.
- Koei

Some others too but will not say those just yet. This isn't including partnerships which wouldn't really be third party. It's okay though guys, Sony doesn't have any money. Poor people for a reason. Lockstarter? Who has even heard of them? Exactly.

Having said that, the larger focus is on improving their first party teams and taking things from there..

So the Level 5 exclusive wont be a collaboration with Sony Japan then, which means that big Budget JRPG he was talking about is not from level 5

Verendus

Banned
Hypothetically, they could have a collaboration with SCE, and also have an entirely unrelated game which is exclusive for Sony too. No one is forcing them to plan for only one title.

Hypothetically, they could have a collaboration with SCE, and also have an entirely unrelated game which is exclusive for Sony too. No one is forcing them to plan for only one title.

So what all is Sony Japan working on? Do they have any major non-collaboration projects in the work? Not counting last gaurdian as that seems to still be a mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom