• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lets talk about Sonys First Party Studios and their upcoming Projects

Status
Not open for further replies.
Warhawk was pretty flawless as well. Played for a year almost. My favorite online game of last gen.

But bringing up a multi-player GOAT is a bit unfair no? :p

True story, not even making this up, I had a friend come over to play warhawk, he got super crazed over a dogfight and was just mindblown, so he turns and asks me how the multi-player is, and it was like bro... this IS multi-player.

Warhawk was a game that somehow warped the internet to make multi-player local play at times :p

Turkoop

Banned
Shouldnt we judge on Yoshida after all First Party Studios released their first Ps4 Projects & Games?

There are currently 6-9 Teams still working on their first Ps4 Project, releasing them in the next 1-3 years

Polyphoni Digital - Gran Turismo
Naughty Dog - Uncharted
Santa Monica - God of War
Guerilla Cambridge - Ps4 Project
Media Molecule - Ps4 Project
Sony Bend - Open World Horrogame
Team ICO (Sony Japan) - The Last Guardian
Team Siren (Sony Japan) - Gravity Rush 2?
Team ??? (Sony Japan) - Big Budget JRPG

Then we also have Guerilla Games who are working for a long time now on their Ps4 RPG Game....I dont think we can really blame them for bringing out an weak Killzone Game, only to have a launch game for the Ps4 (were they really inspired on this project as usual?)

If that Sony Japan and GG RPG Games turn out to be great will People still shit on Yoshida? What about Sony Bend making an Comeback this generation ?

Despite the weak start, i still think this Generation could be the strongest in the History of Sonys First Party Studios
I'm agreed with these list
I guess we have to wait few years to see Sucker Punch's second PS4 game

MrxDemix

Banned
I have a feeling Gran Turismo 7 and Bloodborne will be outright fantastic. However, I am not sold on Uncharted 4. It wouldn't surprise me if it underwhelms.

Wow there, Uncharted 3 (top 5 of the tps of last gen), Infamous 2 and Puppeteer are not garbage. I haven't played Knack or Driveclub but I totally agree with you with Shadowfall, I played it for 45min before putting it down.

Uncharted 3 sucks and Sony and ND are well aware of it. Hence why the team was removed from Uncharted 4 and left the company and the more capable team behind Uncharted 2 and The Last Of Us were put on to right the ship. You are fooling yourself If you think otherwise

Uncharted 3 sucks and Sony and ND are well aware of it. Hence why the team was removed from Uncharted 4 and left the company and the more capable team behind Uncharted 2 and The Last Of Us were put on to right the ship. You are fooling yourself If you think otherwise

Hyperbole at it's finest. Uncharted 3 at it's worst, was a great game. It had some pacing issues, sure, but really "sucks" and "garbage" oooohkay.

Hyperbole at it's finest. Uncharted 3 at it's worst, was a great game. It had some pacing issues, sure, but really "sucks" and "garbage" oooohkay.

There is a dramatic drop in quality from UC 1 & 2 to UC 3. This is a widely held belief and as I said Naughty Dog themselves took corrective action so this isn't some radical notion,

You are fooling yourself....How does UC3 suck apart from your own opinion? Reviews, Sales Figures?

The team wasnt removed....The work on UC4 started in 2013.
Druckman and Straley replaced Hennig (obviously there were some dissagreements about this game and its direction --> Henning left)

reKon

Banned
There is a dramatic drop in quality from UC 1 & 2 to UC 3. This is a widely held belief and as I said Naughty Dog themselves took corrective action so this isn't some radical notion,

You're not going to find many people agreeing with your posts on this page or the last. I have no idea why you're exaggerating the overall quality of these games that have been generally well received.

MrxDemix

Banned

That's a bit extreme, don't you think? Uncharted 3 not only performed well critically, but financially.

The only real argument is that it was a noticeable devolution from Uncharted 2. It'd be understandable if Sony saw the IP as declining. Thankfully, The Last of Us was phenomenal.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Shouldnt we judge on Yoshida after all First Party Studios released their first Ps4 Projects & Games?

There are currently 6-9 Teams still working on their first Ps4 Project, releasing them in the next 1-3 years

Polyphoni Digital - Gran Turismo
Naughty Dog - Uncharted
Santa Monica - God of War
Guerilla Cambridge - Ps4 Project
Media Molecule - Ps4 Project
Sony Bend - Open World Horrogame
Team ICO (Sony Japan) - The Last Guardian
Team Siren (Sony Japan) - Gravity Rush 2?
Team ??? (Sony Japan) - Big Budget JRPG

There really isn't a Team Siren or Team ICO. Those were kind of project monikers by the lead designer. It seems SCE Japan Studio uses a lot of contract staff, and a good amount of outsourcing as well. But that's what Tokyo game development really is anyway.

I don't know many people who could say Uncharted 1 is better than 3. If I had a team and we wanted to present a game for consideration and if it was between 1 & 3, I'd think it would be unanimous to choose 3.

Drop in quality is a curious phrase. The games graphics were still industry leading, the set pieces got bigger and better, the A.I. was still great, the music was still great, the games were still relatively bug free, etc etc etc.

The biggest shift from Uncharted 2 to 3 was the pacing, and some minor game tweaks (which you could argue got worse), but to even remotely consider 3 to be a "bad game" by any metric is absolutely absurd. Again I stress, that Uncharted 3, at it's worst, was much better than a ton of other games and still a great game overall. Whether or not it was better than 2 is a different subject altogether.

Proxy

Sony takes risks, but they often take the wrong risks. Instead of investing in concepts that are dead ends, they desperately just need to bring back fan-requested ips with updated gameplay and features.

Yeah they desperately need to make games that will sell 10,000 copies.

Then why did they left Uncharted 4 mid project? If they were so incompetent as you seem to think, why would Sony let them start UC4?

Does anyone else think Gravity Rush 2 might be a Morpheus game?

That would be the dumbest thing they could do IMO. They most likely moved it from the Vita because they didn't think it would sell well. So putting it behind a 800$ price entry would be completely stupid.

Looks like RAD is already starting the work on the next project.

f057ae-1424642973.jpg

Here comes the Order 1887....

This time with the finished Engine, i wonder how many years their project will take. 2018?

That would be the dumbest thing they could do IMO. They most likely moved it from the Vita because they didn't think it would sell well. So putting it behind a 800$ price entry would be completely stupid.

I doubt that GR2 is a Morpheus game, but even if it is, it wouldn't be unplayable without it. It's not going to be any different than 3D supported game, which means that it'll be an optional feature for some games.

KAL2006

Banned

f057ae-1424642973.jpg

This time with the finished Engine, i wonder how many years their project will take. 2018?

Great news

Hopefully this time it has more gameplay, longer campaign, more wacky weapons that get more utilized, less QTE and stealth sections. And most importantly multiplayer modes that rival Uncahrted and Gears series. The IP has a lot of potential, they already got the setting, characters, lore and engine sorted, there is no reason to waste all that.

I just realised, this fall, both Guerrilla and Japan Studio will both have released games two years prior.

Japan Studio specifically, has got to be gearing up to reveal something at E3. Obviously, we kind of expect Guerrilla's game to be there. I hope it's third person, rather than first person.

f057ae-1424642973.jpg

Does this mean The Order 1886 sold well? Good to see they are so eager to start working on their next PS4 title.

Vibranium

Banned
Great news

Hopefully this time it has more gameplay, longer campaign, more wacky weapons that get more utilized, less QTE and stealth sections. And most importantly multiplayer modes that rival Uncahrted and Gears series. The IP has a lot of potential, they already got the setting, characters, lore and engine sorted, there is no reason to waste all that.

I hope they take more inspiration from The Last of Us in terms of camera/open areas, and ditch the black bars for good. The potential is all there, of course I wouldn't mind if RAD did another new IP.

I'm still going to play The Order, only I'm going to wait for a price drop and to clear more of my backlog out.

Does this mean The Order 1886 sold well? Good to see they are so eager to start working on their next PS4 title.

At this point they probably haven't gotten to the point of deciding if the game sold well enough to keep the series/studio alive, but it's not like they can just stand around holding their dicks until Sony decides they're sure they want another game from them.

I just realised, this fall, both Guerrilla and Japan Studio will both have released games two years prior.

Japan Studio specifically, has got to be gearing up to reveal something at E3. Obviously, we kind of expect Guerrilla's game to be there. I hope it's third person, rather than first person.

We know that Gravity Rush 2 is going to popup some time this year based on what Toyama has said. Gavin Moore (Puppeteer's director) said that he's working on some smaller projects. Sony Japan also does a lot of collaboration work, so there's very likely some stuff on the table with other developers as well.

I can't wait for Guerrillas next project. I'm trying to imagine a game that's got even more time to improve upon the tech they've already implemented. Such good art and tech from that company, I hope the best for their next project.

Withnail

Not really, any decent business needs to know what its staff will be doing months if not years in advance. They don't ship a game and then all just sit around wondering what to do next.

Though that's not to say plans don't sometimes change of course.

At this point they probably haven't gotten to the point of deciding if the game sold well enough to keep the series/studio alive

I think that is a bit of a exaggeration don't you think? They won't shut down the studio or the engine just because the game didn't sell more than 500k.

I thought it's a Vita-exclusive? There are not so many other Vita-games by Sony.

The announce trailer made no mention of the platform. People just assumed it was a Vita game because of the visual quality of the trailer and because that was the platform the original was on. But there have been hints that it may be a PS4 game. The most recent one being Toyama telling Famitsu that when people see it they'll understand why it's taken so long for it to be shown again.

Jigolo

"Let's discuss Sony First Party studios future projects..."

RAD and the order being mentioned, something is isn't right here.

Well realistically speaking they could make a PC game because other than that I don't know anything else that could withstand the engine that they set up.

At this point, we can't know for sure, I think that for their next game they'll pitch it to Sony first but if Sony doesn't want to fund it they can work if a publisher and make the game under Unreal Engine 4 or Cryengine. Or maybe they can use their engine for less capable hardware.

Not if they want to continue working on The Order

Sure but what if Sony scrap the IP, then what?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom