• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lets talk about Sonys First Party Studios and their upcoming Projects

Status
Not open for further replies.
The announce trailer made no mention of the platform. People just assumed it was a Vita game because of the visual quality of the trailer and because that was the platform the original was on. But there have been hints that it may be a PS4 game. The most recent one being Toyama telling Famitsu that when people see it they'll understand why it's taken so long for it to be shown again.

I suspect it was a Vita exclusive at the time of the trailer and they either expanded to PS4 or switched platforms completely, hence the silence. Hopefully it's gonna be on both platforms. I just want the game to have the best opportunity to succeed possible, it's one of my favorite new IPs in a long time.

Does this mean The Order 1886 sold well? Good to see they are so eager to start working on their next PS4 title.

they created an Engine for the whole generation, and they were always openly talking about Sequels, turning the Order into a big long Franchise.

I dont think their future depends on how well The Order 1886 performs....I think this is a more like a 5 Year Contract with several exclusive Ps4 Games for the whole Generation.

Sony obviously funded all the expensive work on RADs Engine. So why should they waste and throw away all of that work, based on the performance of ONE Game

"Let's discuss Sony First Party studios future projects..."

RAD and the order being mentioned, something is isn't right here.

Haha, to be utterly annoying, the thread title is devoid of any punctuation.

It could mean: The first party studios and upcoming projects, belonging to Sony?

in this thread we are also talking about second-party Studios and their work with Sony (i made list if you look at the OP)

I know its not mentioned on the thread-title. ;(

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者

RAD is developing a game for a first-party publisher.

RAD has developed 5 games under SCE WW.

SCE Santa Monica Studio is producer/support unit.

It works.

David___

Banned
they created an Engine for the whole generation, and they were always openly talking about Sequels, turning the Order into a big long Franchise.

I dont think their future depends on how well The Order 1886 performs....I think this is a more like a 5 Year Contract with several exclusive Ps4 Games for the whole Generation.

Sony obviously funded all the expensive work on RADs Engine. So why should they waste and throw away all of that work, based on the performance of ONE Game

Sure but what if Sony scrap the IP, then what?

What Juan said plus the fact its RaDs first attempt at a console game. I doubt the actual budget for the game it impossible for it to be profitable even with the missteps prelaunch. Sony rarely over budgets games as far as I can tell.

Then why did they left Uncharted 4 mid project? If they were so incompetent as you seem to think, why would Sony let them start UC4?

That goes back to my original point that Yoshida is not a very good President since he is allowing too many bad projects to go into production like Knack, Driveclub, The order, and a UC4 by the same team that fucked up UC3. These projects needed to be held to a higher standard and examined under more scrutiny which clearly wasn't happening.

delSai

Looks like RAD is already starting the work on the next project.

f057ae-1424642973.jpg

Here comes the Order 1887....

This time with the finished Engine, i wonder how many years their project will take. 2018?
Cool, after that one thread i actually really want it to be set during WW2. Some inglorious basterds shit with a werewolf twist i guess.

Looks like RAD is already starting the work on the next project.

f057ae-1424642973.jpg

Here comes the Order 1887....

This time with the finished Engine, i wonder how many years their project will take. 2018?

This strikes me as most likely DLC for The Order. Maybe you follow
Malory as he meets with informants and battles vampires
on his way to working out the conspiracy. Or maybe a story from Malory or Grayson's past? Maybe the first time Gray and Isy meet? The good thing about the world they built is that there's a ton of potential stories they can explore. I'd love to see the original Knights and the formation of the Round Table, although that'll probably never happen as they'd realistically need a whole melee combat engine and totally different enemy AI.

Sure but what if Sony scrap the IP, then what?

Borrowed Juan Latino post, basically this.

Sony obviously funded all the expensive work on RADs Engine. So why should they waste and throw away all of that work, based on the performance of ONE Game.

That goes back to my original point that Yoshida is not a very good President since he is allowing too many bad projects to go into production like Knack, Driveclub, The order, and a UC4 by the same team that fucked up UC3. These projects needed to be held to a higher standard and examined under more scrutiny which clearly wasn't happening.

I can see you're one of those people who think any game less than an 8/10 is hot garbage. Thanks for the chuckle dude. You're a pretty good comic.

Anarion07

Fucked... up.... Uncharted 3?
Wait... what?
Knack is a lot of fun.
Driveclub is insanely good.
Halfway through the order and im really enjoying it.

Have you played those games recently?

What Juan said plus the fact its RaDs first attempt at a console game. I doubt the actual budget for the game it impossible for it to be profitable even with the missteps prelaunch. Sony rarely over budgets games as far as I can tell.

Borrowed Juan Latino post, basically this.

Sony obviously funded all the expensive work on RADs Engine. So why should they waste and throw away all of that work, based on the performance of ONE Game.

Yeah those are valid point, I'm just more skeptical with Sony since the closure of Liverpool Studio and Zipper Interactive.

I also think that Yoshida is bad at it's job but I think that it's a bit hyperbolic to call Uncharted 3 a bad game (I haven't played the 3 others yet).
A step down from Uncharted 2? Sure, but it's still way way above average. I would be interested to see which TPS from last gen you find to be better then UC3.

Okay dude, you got us! It was a good troll! Trust me you don't need to keep going!

Yeah those are valid point, I'm just more skeptical with Sony since the closure of Liverpool Studio and Zipper Interactive.

Zipper Interactive was closed due to poor sales of Socom 4 not necessarily due to Sony just wanting to close them. I'll give you Liverpool Studio though.

Zipper Interactive was closed due to poor sales of Socom 4 not necessarily due to Sony just wanting to close them. I'll give you Liverpool Studio though.

That was a poor move because the game released right in the middle of the PSN outage. Who would buy a primarily multiplayer game when you can't use the PSN?
And they also changed the formula to try to chase the COD money, which I think was most likely a demand from the higher ups and not something Zipper would want to do.

And it's a darn shame because I actually enjoyed Unit 13.

I think I'll have to really play through that game. I'd like to do it co-op. I wish it'd had competitive multilayer in the vein of SOCOM. That was something that was sorely lacking on Vita until Killzone and could've really helped (not saying anything could've saved it, but it would've given it a boost).

I can see you're one of those people who think any game less than an 8/10 is hot garbage. Thanks for the chuckle dude. You're a pretty good comic.

except for the fact that I love Alien Isolation which was widely panned.

Fucked... up.... Uncharted 3?
Wait... what?
Knack is a lot of fun.
Driveclub is insanely good.
Halfway through the order and im really enjoying it.

Have you played those games recently?

I've played all of those recently except The Order

and "a lot of fun" and "insanely good" is purely subjective. You can say that about Sonic 2006 and Superman 64 if you wanted to that doesn't change the way the industry looks at them.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者

That really doesn't make sense to me. Zipper was getting games green-lit, finished, and they were received relatively well. The fact is the market has become saturated and the release periods were both detrimental to sales. Also consider that SCEI hurt the brand with that poor previous rendition of SOCOM for PS3 that was developed by another agency other than Zipper.

We can't cry over spilled milk. What is done is done. But I certainly think SCE Liverpool Studio and Zipper Interactive (and Incognito Inc.) were huge losses for the SCE WW family.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
As unfair as it seems, Socom 4 was unlucky to have release when PSN was hacked, leaving its most important part offline for a very good amount of time.

I don't know why Sony clings to Killzone. I'd say if they want a shooter exclusive they should drop it and start over with something else entirely.

Why does this question always come up? They keep making them because they sell well and they're good graphics showcases for their systems. If Resistance 2 hadn't ruined that franchise to the point where Resistance 3 bombed, they'd still be making those games too.

This is why I'm fairly confident that we'll get a The Order sequel because even if the sales aren't great, being a graphical showcase can help sway Sony towards a greenlight. Though if it's as much of a bomba as Heavenly Sword, not even that will save them, but I don't think there's much chance of that.

lol, you'd fire the creator of the Uncharted series simply because one game was a disappointment because of a very tight schedule? Thank god you don't run any game company, they wouldn't last long.

Obviously what Sony needs is a psychic or a time traveller, so they can find out how good their games will be before they've even been made.

cchum

Do you think they're grooming Alan Becker to be the next head?

The order was presented and considered first party by Sony. They own the IP and they financed the whole thing. Watch E3 2013. Same with Bloodborne. Both presented by Yoshida as first party titles.

Do you think they're grooming Alan Becker to be the next head?

Where'd you get that idea? Heading a studio != Heading WWS.

Either Scott Rohde or Michael Denny, as Vice Presidents of WWS in NA and EU respectively, will be the next in line. But Shu's not going anywhere any time soon.

except for the fact that I love Alien Isolation which was widely panned.

Again, you're suggesting 8/10 = "widely panned", which isn't doing your argument any favours.

That really doesn't make sense to me. Zipper was getting games green-lit, finished, and they were received relatively well. The fact is the market has become saturated and the release periods were both detrimental to sales. Also consider that SCEI hurt the brand with that poor previous rendition of SOCOM for PS3 that was developed by another agency other than Zipper.

We can't cry over spilled milk. What is done is done. But I certainly think SCE Liverpool Studio and Zipper Interactive (and Incognito Inc.) were huge losses for the SCE WW family.

Zipper and Liverpool were both closed shortly after Kaz became CEO and was chopping off parts of the whole business in order to cut costs. Although I wasn't happy to see either studio close, I could understand it because they were both fairly large with quite a few years of unsuccessful output (albeit due to mismanagement). Liverpool Studio were developing a stealth action-adventure, but it was a bit late in the day and they really should have had the opportunity to do that when it became clear the racing arcade genre was in decline in the mid-00s. Being tied to nothing but racing games across the PS2 and PS3 era was a foolish decision, especially for a studio as talented as Liverpool. Zipper should have been allowed to make another traditional SOCOM rather than the CODified Special Forces, and I still think MAG should have been turned F2P and had ongoing support through cosmetics, i.e. purchasable weapon and character skins. In today's market I definitely think the interest would be there for another deep tactical TPS like the original SOCOMs, but it's always going to be fairly niche so there's no point in trying to chase the COD money.

Certainly with both of these developers, I think it's sad that their final chances were with Vita games; a platform that has a famously awful adoption rate.

Why does this question always come up? They keep making them because they sell well and they're good graphics showcases for their systems. If Resistance 2 hadn't ruined that franchise to the point where Resistance 3 bombed, they'd still be making those games too.

This is why I'm fairly confident that we'll get a The Order sequel because even if the sales aren't great, being a graphical showcase can help sway Sony towards a greenlight. Though if it's as much of a bomba as Heavenly Sword, not even that will save them, but I don't think there's much chance of that.

I think a big part of it with Killzone is that they need an FPS series, and that's their most successful one so despite various issues sequels keep getting green-lit.

Anything about Sucker Punch's upcoming project?
I hope they move on something different, Infamous is a good game, but nothing more.

Don't get your hopes up. I read an interview a couple of years back - I think it was with Nate Fox - and he insinuated that their future is with Infamous games and there are lots of stories they're still able to tell.

Tapejara

I wish Sony hadn't been so quick to drop developers like Lightbox and Superbot after their games under-performed. I'd really like to see a new "Hawk" game from Sony/Lightbox.

Ridiculous. Naughty Dog did not fuck up Uncharted 3. They had only two years to create it, just like with U2, only with a big chunk of the team missing due to their work on The Last of Us. It's not their fault Sony made them rush it out the door. And I, and many others would argue that in some ways it's superior to U2.

So this is how the PS4 Exclusive games are looking so far

1. Killzone SF was a Meh
  2. Knack is between Bad and Meh
  3. inFamous Second was Good
  4. MLB 14 The Show was Good.
  5. The Last of Us Remastered was Excellent but it was also a port.
  6. DriveClub started as Meh is now considered Good
  7. LBP 3 was Good
  8. The Order 1886 [not exactly a First Party game] is a Meh

Now Compare this to PS3 Exclusive games within the same time frame.

1. Resistance Fall of Man was Good
  2. Motorstorm was Good
  3. MLB 07 The Show was Good
  4. Lair [not exactly a First Party game] was Bad
  5. Warhawk was Good
  6. Heavenly Sword was Good
  7. Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction was Good
  8. Uncharted Drake's Fortune was Great

Nothing against the PS4, but I find it funny that PS4 is selling so many consoles without that many Good exclusives but this time around they have the third party lead that PS3 lacked. PS3 had greater amount of good exclusives but many of the third party games were being bought on X360. Kinda goes to show that 3rd Party Games are the true console sellers and that the console exclusives are just there to give you the choice on whether you want one or the other.

edit: forgot LBP 3 / TLOU

Withnail

The order was presented and considered first party by Sony. They own the IP and they financed the whole thing. Watch E3 2013. Same with Bloodborne. Both presented by Yoshida as first party titles.

Yeah it's first party. Same as Ratchet & Clank and Resistance. If the production is financed and ultimately owned by Sony then it's first party, the ownership of the studio is irrelevant. Second party is sometimes used for this but it's a made up term.

1. Killzone SF was a Meh
  5. DriveClub started as Meh is now considered Good
  6. The Order 1886 [not exactly a First Party game] is a Meh

2. Motorstorm was Good
  5. Warhawk was Good

You forgot TLOU:R and LBP3 which were retail games too and moved hardware and are both considered Great.

Stanng243

1. Killzone SF was a Meh
  7. LBP 3 was Good

2. Motorstorm was Good
  5. Warhawk was Good

Nothing against the PS4, but I find it funny that PS4 is selling so many consoles without that many Good exclusives but this time around they have the third party lead that PS3 lacked. PS3 had greater amount of good exclusives but many of the third party games were being bought on X360. Kinda goes to show that 3rd Party Games are the true console sellers and that the console exclusives are just there to give you the choice on whether you want one or the other.

I think a portion of the sales is from indie games. Indie games seems to be spreading into the more mainstream audience, and PS4 has had incredible indie support.

1. Killzone SF was a Meh
  7. LBP 3 was Good

2. Motorstorm was Good
  5. Warhawk was Good

- Hohokum was great
- Counterspy was good
- Resogun was great
- Velocity 2X (not really a first party game) was great
- Doki Doki Universe was meh
- Entwined was good
- InFamous First Light was great

Digital games count and that's where Sony obliterates everyone, especially looking ahead.

Ishan

- Hohokum was great
- Counterspy was good
- Resogun was great
- Velocity 2X (not really a first party game) was great
- Doki Doki Universe was meh
- Entwined was good
- InFamous First Light was great

Digital games count and that's where Sony obliterates everyone, especially looking ahead.

and this is not even ps4's final form :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom