• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lets talk about Sonys First Party Studios and their upcoming Projects

Status
Not open for further replies.

I-hate-u

Uncharted 3, infamous 2 and puppeteer were garbage. The last of us and gran tourismo 6 would have probably been made and been successful even without him as both ND and Poly have been pumping out hits since the 90s.

I'm still scratching my head how shit like knack, Driveclub and kill zone shadowfall got greenlit. Killzone especially has been a middling franchise since day one yet it has somehow gotten game after game (didn't kz3 outright flop?) and Driveclub and Knack should have been cancelled early on.

Just curious, why such a hateful opinion on DC?

All those other games are also good. They have their needed place in this industry. Also, Uncharted 3 online community has been strong for a long time. I think uncharted 4 will surprise people of how successful it will be.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
Uncharted 3, infamous 2 and puppeteer were garbage. The last of us and gran tourismo 6 would have probably been made and been successful even without him as both ND and Poly have been pumping out hits since the 90s.

I'm still scratching my head how shit like knack, Driveclub and kill zone shadowfall got greenlit. Killzone especially has been a middling franchise since day one yet it has somehow gotten game after game (didn't kz3 outright flop?) and Driveclub and Knack should have been cancelled early on.

You fucking suck lol

zEYQhBL.jpg

Goodness

I like the fact that Sony takes chances on games like Beyond Two Souls, Journey, Puppeteer, Until Dawn, Heavy Rain, Tearaway, Demon's Souls, Little Big Planet, etc. The diversity of their catalog is why I think they are the best of the three console makers. As far as system sellers I would include God Of War, Uncharted, The Last Of Us and Gran Turismo in that category. And with all the PlayStations being sold since the nineties they must selling people on something. There are probably 3 critically acclaimed games coming in 2015 with Uncharted 4, Bloodborne, and Persona 5 for those concerned with Metacritic list wars.

I-hate-u

I like the fact that Sony takes chances on games like Beyond Two Souls, Journey, Puppeteer, Until Dawn, Heavy Rain, Tearaway, Demon's Souls, Little Big Planet, etc. The diversity of their catalog is why I think they are the best of the three console makers. As far as system sellers I would include God Of War, Uncharted, The Last Of Us and Gran Turismo in that category. And with all the PlayStations being sold since the nineties they must selling people on something. There are probably 3 critically acclaimed games coming in 2015 with Uncharted 4, Bloodborne, and Persona 5 for those concerned with Metacritic list wars.

While Sony invests in a lot of new games, they mostly fall into the same (Action, FPS, Adventure and the rare platformer). I would love if Sony tries to diversify its genres with dabbling into JRPGs, more platformers, fighting games and hack n slashers. I would love if they attempt another mascot fighter, this time, with its own unique mechanics. (Xbox has KI, Ninty has smash. C'mon Sony, get your own fighter) for example.

I want to see Sony fund a Knack 2 with a more emphasis on 3D platforming. I would love a strong push for Persona 5 and whatever Level 5 is working on this E3. Essentially, a bigger focus on Japanese games from Sony is what I want. I think the general consumers would eat it up.

While Sony invests in a lot of new games, they mostly fall into the same (Action, FPS, Adventure and the rare platformer).

Have you seen the competition? One has a lot of games in the shooter/racing genre and WiiU has a lot in the adventure/platformer genre. IMO I would think Sony can't be more diverse giving you games that normally get low ratings just because they are just so different from what we are used to having.

I-hate-u

Have you seen the competition? One has a lot of games in the shooter/racing genre and WiiU has a lot in the adventure/platformer genre. IMO I would think Sony can't be more diverse giving you games that normally get low ratings just because they are just so different from what we are used to having.

They are doing a good job, but I wish they be more Nintendo-ish. I want the JRPGs, the fighters and the platformers.

Rurunaki

They are doing a good job, but I wish they be more Nintendo-ish. I want the JRPGs, the fighters and the platformers.

The only reason nintendo is like that is because of how big the 3ds is in japan. Outside the 3ds, nintendo falls to their old lineup of *insert Mario title here* add "U".

]I like the fact that Sony takes chances on games like Beyond Two Souls, Journey, Puppeteer, Until Dawn, Heavy Rain, Tearaway, Demon's Souls, Little Big Planet, etc. The diversity of their catalog is why I think they are the best of the three console makers.[/B] As far as system sellers I would include God Of War, Uncharted, The Last Of Us and Gran Turismo in that category. And with all the PlayStations being sold since the nineties they must selling people on something. There are probably 3 critically acclaimed games coming in 2015 with Uncharted 4, Bloodborne, and Persona 5 for those concerned with Metacritic list wars.

Huh, for some reason I'm reminded of the opening for this IGN review:

Sony and Nintendo have realized something that newcomer Microsoft still doesn't quite get -- Don't release crappy games unless you know they will sell. Nintendo first-party games are easily the best on the system and though Sony releases fewer first-party titles than Nintendo and Microsoft, their first-party fare is generally quite good. Microsoft, on the other hand, has green-lighted and published such mediocre fare as Kakuto Chojin and Sneakers. Whoever keeps giving the thumbs up to these projects needs to be slapped and fired.

I found the quoted interesting because I remember loving this game on the OG Xbox when growing up, and one of the things I wish Microsoft (and many publishers in general) would go back to is to funding and putting out B-level games. Right now it's either AAA borefest or low budget digital title. Some of my favorite games ever are ones that were incredibly divisive at the time.

Well let's see how PS4 takes off this month. It's Dragon Quest Heroes Week there, with this and what coming after those weeks we might see more japanese developers makes games for it. We have Bloodborne , Ratchet & Clank & Street Fight IV/V to cover your missing genres till we get more of those. I have faith in WWS they usually deliver the 3rd year of a consoles life cycle.

I-hate-u

The only reason nintendo is like that is because of how big the 3ds is in japan. Outside the 3ds, nintendo falls to their old lineup of *insert Mario title here* add "U".
I guess what I am saying that just like how Sony is committed to deliver games in the action,racing, fps categories, I would like to see them expand their stable a little and deliver games in other genres.

Like how awesome would it be to see Sony fund a full blown JRPG or even a new IP fighter? Even something as obvious as being committed in making Bloodborne a franchise would be amazing.

Reset

I guess what I am saying that just like how Sony is committed to deliver games in the action,racing, fps categories, I would like to see them expand their stable a little and deliver games in other genres.

Like how awesome would it be to see Sony fund a full blown JRPG or even a new IP fighter? Even something as obvious as being committed in making Bloodborne a franchise would be amazing.

Full Blown JRPG = Bloodborne(PS4), Demons Souls(PS3), Oreshika: Tainted Bloodlines(Vita), White Knight Chronicle 1 and 2(PS3)

Fighter = PSASBR (PS3/Vita)

sn00zer

Is there any official response on why certain first party games arent on PSN....mainly Ape Escape, Medievil 2, Omega Boost etc.

Zukkoyaki

Sony has a big horror game coming this summer, Until Dawn.

They also have two relatively big platformers coming this year with Ratchet & Clank and Tearaway Unfolded.

I feel like they're doing a decent enough job of expanding their genre portfolio.

I-hate-u

Full Blown JRPG = Bloodborne(PS4), Demons Souls(PS3), Oreshika: Tainted Bloodlines(Vita), White Knight Chronicle 1 and 2(PS3)

Fighter = PSASBR (PS3/Vita)

They also have two relatively big platformers coming this year with Ratchet & Clank and Tearaway Unfolded.

I feel like they're doing a decent enough job of expanding their genre portfolio.

With the exception of Bloodborne, those games are a bit old, BkzUzi.
Zukkoyaki, I absolutely think Sony has a diverse genre of games at the moment, I just wish for more.

Also against my point, the types of games I want Sony to release for the PS4, are for the Vita games, like Freedom wars, SS and GR. So, I guess they are a victim of split focus I guess.

Zukkoyaki

Zukkoyaki, I absolutely think Sony has a diverse genre of games at the moment, I just wish for more.

Also against my point, the types of games I want Sony to release for the PS4, are for the Vita games, like Freedom wars, SS and GR. So, I guess they are a victim of split focus I guess.
Well, if the rumors are true then you can look forward to Gravity Rush 2 being a PS4 game. There's also rumors of a high profile JRPG in development being funded by Sony. Stay hopeful! :D

N.Domixis

Banned

Until Dawn will be The order part 2. Game will be panned for being cinematic.

Until Dawn is different in the sense that it's going in the Quantic Dream/TellTale direction. Yes it's cinematic, but it's also going to be highly replayable. Your choices will have a big impact on the story, everything from your love interest to who dies or lives.

Zukkoyaki

Difference is, everybody knows exactly what Until Dawn is going to be. It's gotten extensive footage indicating it's going to be a branching, cinematic, adventure game akin to Heavy Rain.

With The Order, well, it wasn't exactly what a lot of people were hoping or expecting it to be. Everyone wanted an epic, AAA action game. Not... that.

Sony takes risks, but they often take the wrong risks. Instead of investing in concepts that are dead ends, they desperately just need to bring back fan-requested ips with updated gameplay and features.

Rurunaki

Problem with the "full blown jrpg" is that sales will be mediocre unless it is on a handheld. They do have exclusivity on Persona 5 so there's that. The one thing they need to do is to get the japanese developers interested in their system.

Shabad

You mean the PS4 exclusive Level 5 game to be unveiled at E3 ?

In terms of fighting game, I am not sure they will get a new licence, but isn't helping create SFV - or securing the Guilty Gear Xrd exclusivity - counting for something ?

Sony takes risks, but they often take the wrong risks. Instead of investing in concepts that are dead ends, they desperately just need to bring back fan-requested ips with updated gameplay and features.

Well, one of those fan requests may have an outside chance of happening

aei4u02.png

Armigr

Nah, all three of these are great games.

Driveclub is realy good as well, Killzone and Knack not so much.

delSai

Really hope PS Allstars 2 is being worked on somewhere. I know it didn't do great numbers in sale and the fanbase is small but i love it to death.

Hugstable

Banned
He didn't even want to release demons souls outside of jnp. I like Yosh, but I don't care for his taste in games.

Yeah this is the main reason that I'm not a very big fan of Yosh. When at E3 he talked about Bloodborne being something so close to him or whatever he said, it just felt really kinda fake to me knowing what he actually thought of Demon Souls.

Is Puppeteer really that bad? And I thought Infamous 2 was pretty amazing, easily my favorite in the series. Uncharted 3 was my least favorite game in that series though, but I feel garbage is just too strong a word there. I mean yeah people can think the games are bad for their series, but I don't think UC3 or Infamous 2 are so bad to where they have to be lumped in with garbage. Driveclub I feel is a decent racer for what it is, it has it's flaws that keep it from being something truly great, but I'm kinda glad in a way it got made just to tide me over til the next GT game. I still think it was kinda stupid to have GT6 on PS3 though, don't know what was up with that decision. I mine yeah fine, release it on the PS3, but it couldn't have been that hard to port it up to the PS4 could it? Only recent games of theirs that I've played that I got pretty disappointed with and think are pretty bad have been Infamous:SS and Killzone:SF (haven't touched the Order yet, I kinda liked Knack a bit though, I feel the scores it has were correct, but I played it co-op, and I feel the gameplay itself has potential if they could just a bit more depth into the fighting, as well as having actual platforming sections.)

Castef

Banned
Full Blown JRPG = Bloodborne(PS4), Demons Souls(PS3), Oreshika: Tainted Bloodlines(Vita)

Oh, please...

Since when JRPGs were in their dark ages people started listing japanese action-RPGS as JRPGs.

No way, when people asks abous JRPGs they are 99% of times talking about something like Final Fantasy VII-X, Star Ocean, Grandia and so on.

Stop with the "It has RPG elements and it has been developed in japan, so is a JRPG" thing.

I even saw NIER listed as a JRPG in the past. At this point what about adding whichever action game in which you can add abilities to your character?

Really hope PS Allstars 2 is being worked on somewhere. I know it didn't do great numbers in sale and the fanbase is small but i love it to death.
I'm airways imagining all these new characters getting added. I want to play as a Bloodborne Hunter who can switch weapon modes mid combo for crazy mix ups and strings. I want Knack to get bigger and more damaging as he builds AP. I want Sortiara (from Soul Sacrifice) with a mechanic where her attacks are very powerful but break and become weak after a few uses unless she kills or sacrifices AP.

Also old characters who didn't make it. Wander from SotC with all the weapons he unlocks from time trials. Ultra V from War of the Monsters. Scorpion. Big Boss. Dart. Robbitt. A Patapon. Crash. There are so many characters that should be in.

Got I want a sequel so fucking bad.

Freeman

Banned
How come Sony is unable to get Crash back? They are some of the best selling games they ever had and Activation just sits on it. Use some of that PS4 money to pay his ransom.

Shouldnt we judge on Yoshida after all First Party Studios released their first Ps4 Projects & Games?

There are currently 6-9 Teams still working on their first Ps4 Project, releasing them in the next 1-3 years

Polyphoni Digital - Gran Turismo
Naughty Dog - Uncharted
Santa Monica - God of War
Guerilla Cambridge - Ps4 Project
Media Molecule - Ps4 Project
Sony Bend - Open World Horrogame
Team ICO (Sony Japan) - The Last Guardian
Team Siren (Sony Japan) - Gravity Rush 2?
Team ??? (Sony Japan) - Big Budget JRPG

Then we also have Guerilla Games who are working for a long time now on their Ps4 RPG Game....I dont think we can really blame them for bringing out an weak Killzone Game, only to have a launch game for the Ps4 (were they really inspired on this project as usual?)

If that Sony Japan and GG RPG Games turn out to be great will People still shit on Yoshida? What about Sony Bend making an Comeback this generation ?

Despite the weak start, i still think this Generation could be the strongest in the History of Sonys First Party Studios

Arxisz

No way, when people asks abous JRPGs they are 99% of times talking about something like Final Fantasy VII-X, Star Ocean, Grandia and so on.

Stop with the "It has RPG elements and it has been developed in japan, so is a JRPG" thing.

Agreed. I wouldn't think of Bloodborne as a JRPG, alas Sony did get a few of them on Ps3 though, by that I mean the tales series.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I found the quoted interesting because I remember loving this game on the OG Xbox when growing up, and one of the things I wish Microsoft (and many publishers in general) would go back to is to funding and putting out B-level games. Right now it's either AAA borefest or low budget digital title. Some of my favorite games ever are ones that were incredibly divisive at the time.

That's an industry wide problem unfortunately. The platform holders are following the trends. MS has the money so they go for AAA and major titles, Sony doesnt so they go for a mix of indie and lower budget and a few AAA

Inuhanyou

Also...there are many Japanese who think westerners are mocking them when they pidgeonhole their RPG genre into only what westerners views molded by FF look like. Story based, turn based, level up systems with spiky haired anime protagonists is a genre the west made up even though its not everything that makes a Japanese RPG.

I'm mostly fine with the variety in Sony's 1st party offering. The only thing I think they're really dropping the ball on is their own prominent online multiplayer experience. There was Socom on ps2, there was Warhawk on PS3, but there's nothing on ps4. I think a lot of what they do 1st party is definitely niche or catered to certain segments of gamers but that has always been the case and always been successful because they've done so in a diverse way. But damn just give me a new Socom and all will be well!

Joco

I don't know why Sony clings to Killzone. I'd say if they want a shooter exclusive they should drop it and start over with something else entirely.

Inuhanyou

I don't know why Sony clings to Killzone. I'd say if they want a shooter exclusive they should drop it and start over with something else entirely.

Atleast guerrilla isnt working on it anymore. now we get robo dinos and fantasy land

Well I think Sony stuck to Killzone because they felt they needed to compete with the COD and Battlefield crowd. Shooters are big, and having that vacancy is a bad idea. Guerrilla's got the technical talent to pull their weight in spades, so I'm sure Sony want's them around, but now with Uncharted being as popular as it is, the need for a shooter has probably declined.

N.Domixis

Banned
I'm mostly fine with the variety in Sony's 1st party offering. The only thing I think they're really dropping the ball on is their own prominent online multiplayer experience. There was Socom on ps2, there was Warhawk on PS3, but there's nothing on ps4. I think a lot of what they do 1st party is definitely niche or catered to certain segments of gamers but that has always been the case and always been successful because they've done so in a diverse way. But damn just give me a new Socom and all will be well!

Sony doesn't know how to handle online multiplayer, look at all their games, twisted metal, lbp, uncharted, driveclub etc. they all suffered online issues.

B.O.O.M

While Sony invests in a lot of new games, they mostly fall into the same (Action, FPS, Adventure and the rare platformer). I would love if Sony tries to diversify its genres with dabbling into JRPGs, more platformers, fighting games and hack n slashers. I would love if they attempt another mascot fighter, this time, with its own unique mechanics. (Xbox has KI, Ninty has smash. C'mon Sony, get your own fighter) for example.

I want to see Sony fund a Knack 2 with a more emphasis on 3D platforming. I would love a strong push for Persona 5 and whatever Level 5 is working on this E3. Essentially, a bigger focus on Japanese games from Sony is what I want. I think the general consumers would eat it up.

I disagree with you outside of the RPG genre..that I also think is an area they need to do more in

But I don't think not making more platformers is a mistake at all. The market for that in the PS audience isn't big enough imho

Also on the fighting game front they landed SF5 and Xrd. I think they are doing real good on that end. But I won't mind seeing a new PS All stars..but then again the haterade against that game by especially the Nintendo fans was one of the most toxic and disgusting things I witnessed from last gen

I much preferred Resistance, well the first game anyway. Never enjoyed Killzone and I've played them all from Killzone 2 onwards (hype).

Sony doesn't know how to handle online multiplayer, look at all their games, twisted metal, lbp, uncharted, driveclub etc. they all suffered online issues.

Nah, it's a case by case basis. MAG for example had nearly no online issues. And I don't recall Uncharted or TLOU having many problems in the online space. Killzone Shadows fall has never given me online problems either.

Microsoft sort of dug their talons into the market for their online infrastructure, but I wouldn't use MCC as an example of their outstanding understanding of the online space.

Zukkoyaki

That boils down to the developers. Plus you're ignoring all of their games that worked great like The Last of Us, all the Killzone games, all of the Resistance games, God of War: Ascension, Warhawk, Starhawk, even MAG.

It's easy to make a point when you cherry pick.

Personally speaking, I don't want Sony making anymore platformers or fighting games.

They already have LBP, if they make another one I would assume it would be PS4 only and hopefully they change up the style a bit, even though I am enjoying 3. Don't make it backwards compatible because you pigeon the game back into the same design. Beyond that there are a lot of platformers from Nintendo, don't need anymore frankly.

Fighting games aren't my bag and they already have SFV and why compete with the other big dogs when they have such an established core (VF, SF and Tekken date back 2 decades). It would take 3-4 games before your game is up to the competition at least. Plus I don't think it would sell. They would be better off making a game in the vein of Power stone than a a traditional fighter but that wouldn't sell either.

JRPGs in the traditional sense are hard to make. They cost a butt load and expectations are through the roof. Its a genre that is in an unfortunate position because of its 2d lineage. Gamers expect 100 hour epics with hundreds of locations and HD towns. Yeah, no one is making them (on next gen consoles) so its unfair to expect Sony to. Although I would love it, I don't expect it to happen.

I want more games like TLOU, maybe a Syphon Filter reboot. Concentrate on AI and mechanics. If you do go the SF route, come up with some awesome gadgets and weapons, sort of like the Order meets James Bond and that could be its hook. Sandboxy gameplay with a ton of stuff at your arsenal. It would be more action oriented than Splinter cell. Basically a James Bond game.

Regarding Sony as a whole, they've had a sort of rough transition this gen which is disappointing but most of the games they've made are solid. KZ is way better than what GAF tells you, Drive Club is one of the best racers in years (probably their best next gen game), and then they have a lot of good games that could have been better but are worth playing none the less. Games like LBP and Infamous SS. Knack was a missed opportunity and same with The Order but The Order is a game I would recommend anyone try out because of its sheer visual brilliance, its an engrossing game and a memorable one at that.

Its still too early to classify the state of their first party this gen and with Bloodborne coming up and Uncharted 4 being a sure hit, they are in a good position going forward. Hopefully they continue last gens trend of creating new IPs and bold projects.

I don't want to compare them to other First Parties because that opens a can of worms but I still think they make the most "exciting" games out of the three. They really had their mojo going between 2009-2013 and I hope they can reclaim that magic.

Nah, it's a case by case basis. MAG for example had nearly no online issues. And I don't recall Uncharted or TLOU having many problems in the online space. Killzone Shadows fall has never given me online problems either.

Microsoft sort of dug their talons into the market for their online infrastructure, but I wouldn't use MCC as an example of their outstanding understanding of the online space.
Warhawk was pretty flawless as well. Played for a year almost. My favorite online game of last gen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom