• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 11 Announced! [PS4/3DS (simultaneous), NX (tentative)]

Socordia

Banned
The mainline series usually lands on the best selling systems, in this case that would be PS4 and 3DS.

The PS3 is also being excluded, even though it got DQH and DQB.

What are you talking about Ps4 selling best worldwide doesn´t mean anything DQ sells best in Japan. Yuji Horii most likely thought he could get away with just releasing it on ps4 but as time went he saw he can´t because no matter what some people here think Ps4 is not gonna save japans console industry.

To clarify: if you care about Dragon Quest games at all buy a Japanese 3DS. It's not even that expensive.

Is that clear enough?
I did my part .... but damn it's annoying to play the 3DS remake of 7 with a translation on my tablet right next to it ... like ... really.

Hoping for a GamesCom announcement for the localizations of the 3DS remakes, and both versions of DQXI

So we got

Star Ocean 5
Dragon Quest XI
Final Fantasy XV
Dragon Quest X
Dissidia Arcade ( running on PS4 hardware .... )
Dragon Quest Heroes
Dragon Quest Builders
World of Final Fantasy
Kingdom Hearts 3
Nier 2

All from direct from SE or through some sort of collaboration. Missing anything? Hell of a lineup.

So we got

Star Ocean 5
Dragon Quest XI
Final Fantasy XV
Dragon Quest X
Dragon Quest Heroes
Dragon Quest Builders
World of Final Fantasy
Kingdom Hearts 3
Nier 2

All from direct from SE or through some sort of collaboration. Missing anything? Hell of a lineup.
You forgot Project Setsuna

So we got

Star Ocean 5
Dragon Quest XI
Final Fantasy XV
Dragon Quest X
Dragon Quest Heroes
Dragon Quest Builders
World of Final Fantasy
Kingdom Hearts 3
Nier 2

The return of Square Enix?

So we got

Star Ocean 5
Dragon Quest XI
Final Fantasy XV
Dragon Quest X
Dragon Quest Heroes
Dragon Quest Builders
World of Final Fantasy
Kingdom Hearts 3
Nier 2

Missing a little title called Final Fantasy VII.

Obviously this is what I expected to happen after I heard that rumor. But still I think that the rest of the world will only get the (obviously superior) PS4 version only.

Porcile

When it's that or not play them at all? Yeah, I really love it. The 3DS remake of DQ7 was great! Everyone waiting forever for no translation is a fucking sucker.

I'm learning Japanese, but guess what? I'd stil rather have them in English. I guess i'm just a fucking sucker though.

So we got

Star Ocean 5
Dragon Quest XI
Final Fantasy XV
Dragon Quest X
Dragon Quest Heroes
Dragon Quest Builders
World of Final Fantasy
Kingdom Hearts 3
Nier 2

Hitman
Just Cause
Deus Ex

SE is killing it in terms of announced games.

holysan

When it's that or not play them at all? Yeah, I really love it. The 3DS remake of DQ7 was great! Everyone waiting forever for no translation is a fucking sucker.

I'd choose not to play them then. In case of a text heavy jrpg even more. What's the point in spending 100 hours with a game and still missing half of it? It's not like there aren't dozens of other games every year.

Nibel

I read about the announcement like a few minutes after I woke up and thought it was pretty cool, but looking at what Square Enix does here I realize how fascinating this all this.

Not only did they announce a PS4 version, but also showed competent in-game footage showing the game at an early stage but still enough to give you a glimpse of the huge jump in terms of visuals between DQ11 and DQ10. This is another Square Enix JRPG really happening and this seems to be possible thanks to new management and better production pipelines. Unreal Engine 4 is a fucking blessing.

Then there is this crazy 3DS version; the idea of being able to play the same game in two different versions - one with sprites like the old DQ games and one with 3D models like the new modern DQ games - is fucking nuts; catering to both old and new fans with one single product gets harder and harder these days, and damn I must admit that this might turn out to be a stroke of genius. While I hope that this might even translate into clever gameplay ideas where you have to switch between both dimensions, it's pretty neat that this exists at all.

And yeah, while they seem to have jumped the gun during the presentation regarding the NX version, I think it's safe to assume that this will probably happen - because why mention it at all if you're just considering it?

Everybody won today, and man: it feels more and more like the Square Enix of the old days is back in full force. Exciting times.

As great as the PS4 version will be I have to give Enix props for putting in double duty for the 3DS 3D/2D version

I wonder if they had that Kojima budget when making this game.

Yeah forgot about FFVII PS4 and FFVII-R, and of course the titles like Tomb Raider and such.

They are off to a hell of a start this gen. Already enjoyed FFXIV and Type-0 this gen. Along with FFX PS4 Remake with the original soundtrack. Man that is a glorious playthrough.

I know it's a moot discussion but it's not really your call to make for other players. If you're fine with buying a duplicate console from another version and playing in a language you don't understand because you think it's better than nothing, all the more power to you.
But there's nothing unreasonable in saying "I'll get it when it comes here so I really wish it came here".

Particularly when you consider that over the past decade/last two gens, the number of Japanese games we've been getting has dramatically increased. A JRPG not coming West is now more the exception than the rule.

At the very least, they've been pressing all the right buttons and sending all the right signals all year long. It's impressive how they generally pivoted out of that slump within six months.

Now all they have to do is deliver on all these promises.

Papacheeks

Banned
3DS was entirely expected, they're not giving up that vast userbase. Happy about this, will get to play it on the move.

Cue salt that the 3DS version will limit the PS4 scope.

How so? You mean story Wise?

I saw a much bigger looking world on PS4 version during that conference. If anything 3DS version will be very classic Dragon Quest in setup, but looking at how lush and open environments are, i say PS4 version will be lead version, with 3DS being fan service.

Porcile

Doesn't SE have a new CEO? Maybe thats why they are turning things around this generation.

What choice did they have? They almost shit themselves into oblivion last gen with sub-standard games and terrible mismanagement. Increasing the quality of their games was the first major step to rectifying their terribleness.

I saw a much bigger looking world on PS4 version during that conference. If anything 3DS version will be very classic Dragon Quest in setup, but looking at how lush and open environments are, i say PS4 version will be lead version, with 3DS being fan service.

PS4 version is probably holding back the NX version.

mao2

Good to know that both versions will be released simultaneously.

Also hopefully this doesn't qualify as port-begging but I wish they'd put the 2D version of DQXI on PS4 too. Maybe as a separate download-only title. I'd pay $20 or more for it.

vaibhavp

3ds version will have different battles depending on if you use d pad or analog circle pad. That sounds great.

Also I will wait and see how all these games turn out. I have lot more faith in their western counterpart eidos, with games like de: hr and tomb raider 2013.

StereoVsn

I can understand some Japanese and I certainly have imported games before like Yakuza series, but trying to get through a text heavy long RPG is a slog that I would rather not go through. At least in Yakuza games your fists do the talking :p.

Oh, and you have to buy another console because of region lock. Meh...

Forgot to add that PS4 version is pretty much assured to show up in the West and everything else is YMMV. If say 3DS VIII gets released here it would be a better chance. Still 3DS game releasing in the West toward end of 2016 or early 2017 would be taking a big chance. We'll see what happens with NX.

Raptor

So, sorry if this has being answer a million times but I didnt saw it on the OP, is this real time? and not in a battle arena Tales of Vesperia style?

My hype will depend on the answers to those questions.

JMDSO

Unconfirmed Member

People in this thread have already conveyed worries that the 3DS version would affect the PS4 version.

I assume graphically, but there could also be worries about the story or release date being an issue because of 3DS limitations vs PS4.

Top Bottom