• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 11 Announced! [PS4/3DS (simultaneous), NX (tentative)]

So, sorry if this has being answer a million times but I didnt saw it on the OP, is this real time? and not in a battle arena Tales of Vesperia style?

My hype will depend on the answers to those questions.

The 3DS version is classic turn-based DQ. We don't know about the PS4 version since they didn't enter a battle during the demo.

Doesn't SE have a new CEO? Maybe thats why they are turning things around this generation.

If memory serves, he made a grand statement about how they were shifting back towards "heavy jrpgs" because they realized that the western market consumers enjoy Japanese games and that Square's previous attempts to "westernize" resulted in games unsuitable for any market. They basically figured out that the western market enjoys good games rather than bad ones.

There was a great deal of healthy skepticism, but at least this shows that Square is serious about the effort.

Asd202

So we got

Star Ocean 5
Dragon Quest XI
Final Fantasy XV
Dragon Quest X
Dissidia Arcade ( running on PS4 hardware .... )
Dragon Quest Heroes
Dragon Quest Builders
World of Final Fantasy
Kingdom Hearts 3
Nier 2

All from direct from SE or through some sort of collaboration. Missing anything? Hell of a lineup.

Matsuda kept his word.

BadWolf

So, sorry if this has being answer a million times but I didnt saw it on the OP, is this real time? and not in a battle arena Tales of Vesperia style?

If you want real time then you may want to look into Dragon Quest Heroes.

3DS version is turn based. We haven't seen the console version's combat yet, but it will probably also be turn based given how traditional DQ tends to be.

Shahed

People in this thread have already conveyed worries that the 3DS version would affect the PS4 version.

I assume graphically, but there could also be worries about the story or release date being an issue because of 3DS limitations vs PS4.
Since there's two different games with different developers and engines, I don't see how this is an issue. I myself was worried to a degree if it was multiplatform, but it's essentially a separate game on each platform.

As for release date being an issue, if anything by doing a simultaneous release the PS4 version is likely holding the 3DS one back since that seems further along.

I've been waiting for Dragon Quest's glorious return to consoles for so long and given its on PS4, even if Square Enix don't localize, at least with enough revolting, Sony would go ahead and do it themselves.

Can't wait, this is the Dragon Quest game I've been waiting for since Level 5's masterpiece on the PS2. Been far too long, over 10 years now. Keep killing it on the PS4 Square Enix. Even if Rise of the Tomb Raider were Xbox/PC only, I'd still give you money for doing Dragon Quest proper next generation justice.

Best wishes.

So we got

Star Ocean 5
Dragon Quest XI
Final Fantasy XV
Dragon Quest X
Dragon Quest Heroes
Dragon Quest Builders
World of Final Fantasy
Kingdom Hearts 3
Nier 2

All from direct from SE or through some sort of collaboration. Missing anything? Hell of a lineup.

Project Setsuna
FF7 Remake
FF Type 1

SE are on a roll.

BlackJace

Exciting times. Dragon Quest has always been an awesome series, and it seems like we'll have a treasure trove of content to look forward to as the 30th anniversary draws near.

Really proud of Square too. They seem to be cleaning up their development: outsourcing and the realization that not every one of their games needs to run on a proprietary engine.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Wouldn't the NX announcement confirm that the NX is a Console? I mean if it was a Handheld I don't see the point of releasing the game on 3DS and release it again on the next gen "Handheld" by Nintendo.

So we got

Star Ocean 5
Dragon Quest XI
Final Fantasy XV
Dragon Quest X
Dragon Quest Heroes
Dragon Quest Builders
World of Final Fantasy
Kingdom Hearts 3
Nier 2

...how do you forget FF7 Remake? The one game that turned people into blubbering wrecks last month?

So we got

Star Ocean 5
Dragon Quest XI
Final Fantasy XV
Dragon Quest X
Dragon Quest Heroes
Dragon Quest Builders
World of Final Fantasy
Kingdom Hearts 3
Nier 2

Final Fantasy XIV
Final Fantasy VII

Joey Ravn

Banned
I was working all morning and couldn't watch the 3DS gameplay... my goodness, it's awesome! I hope you can select one of the two styles and play exclusively in it.

nubbe

Wouldn't the NX announcement confirm that the NX is a Console? I mean if it was a Handheld I don't see the point of releasing the game on 3DS and release it again on the next gen "Handheld" by Nintendo.

NX the handheld might not be backwards compatible
but that would be strange since it would surely be ARM based

So we got

Star Ocean 5
Dragon Quest XI
Final Fantasy XV
Dragon Quest X
Dragon Quest Heroes
Dragon Quest Builders
World of Final Fantasy
Kingdom Hearts 3
Nier 2

+ Deus Ex
+ Dragon Quest Heroes 2
+ Final Fantasy 7
+ Hitman
+ new jRPG IP, Setsuna?
+ Tom Raider

MLH

So far from what we've seen:

- The PS4 version is a full open-ish world 3D game with jumping, platforming, exploration, and is fully proportional in scale like DQVIII. They didn't show any battles, but enemies are visible on the field, and it seems really early.

- The 3DS version has 3D graphics on the top screen and 2D graphics on the bottom screen. Looks to be reusing a lot of existing assets, but looks great regardless. There's two versions of everything for 3D/2D - towns, fields, battles, event scenes, etc. If the player uses the analog slidepad, 3D battles will initiate and the battles on the field will be symbol encounters (you see the enemies and can avoid them), if you use the d-pad, battles will be in 2D and they will be random encounters.

- Currently the 3DS version looks way more complete than the PS4 one. But both are slated to be released within the Anniversary next year in 2016.

A few screencaps from /u/olitod on reddit:

2D combat mode:
e7f3359fb4.jpg

3D combat mdoe:
edbcdfa3d9.jpg

d76272c85d.jpg

The hero they showed is set, not customizable. That's all we know.
Pic of the Hero:

Can we add all this info to the OP, It was a pain trawling through this thread looking for info, I wouldn't want others to be subjected to it.

Top Bottom