• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 8 (3DS) Releasing Jan 20th in the States

pikablu

I've always heard such great things about it but never got around to playing on ps2. So I'm definitely picking this up.

oti

Banned
Does it really change wether it's 65h for DQVIII or 85h for DQVII ? Both are massive games anyway.

I think what turned me away in the end was 8-4 saying it took 40h to "get good". Nah, I'm good. We also knew that DQ8 would also come out in the West and that was the game I always wanted to play anyway.

And yes, 20h are a huge difference. That's a couple of games I could play instead lol.

Ridley327

Does anyone know if this game has laggy menus like 7. It's not a deal breaker (I still loved 7), but it would be nice if it didn't.

I think the only technical details known so far is that voice acting is definitely in, but the soundtrack was reverted back to the Japanese PS2 MIDI, in what is likely another example of Sugiyama being really stingy about how people experience the soundtracks of the series.

FStubbs

8 is my favorite game of all time. I'll miss the symphonic soundtrack and trees but I'll be buying it Day 1.

I remember this game just delivering, and delivering long after I felt it could have finished. And that isn't a complaint, mind you. I lost a whole summer chipping away at this.

Will be there day 1 for a repeat.

Hmm, I try to never buy the same game twice. But I am tempted.

Not sure that I care about the additional characters. I wouldn't want to replace the originals anyway.

Can you reset skill points? I recall that being an annoyance for me in the original.

LordKano

I think what turned me away in the end was 8-4 saying it took 40h to "get good". Nah, I'm good. We also knew that DQ8 would also come out in the West and that was the game I always wanted to play anyway.

And yes, 20h are a huge difference. That's a couple of games I could play instead lol.

I wouldn't agree with 8-4, I think the game's amazing from the start (well, after the introduction, so 3h in the game) until the very end.

But it's certainly not a game I would recommend to the people not accustomed to Dragon Quest. The VIII is a better start for newcomers. I don't think it's as good as VII tho.

PSFan

Does it really change wether it's 65h for DQVIII or 85h for DQVII ? Both are massive games anyway.

Wait, what? DQVIII was well over 100 hours for me, and DQVII was almost 200 hours. Hell, i just finished the 3DS version of VII and clocked over 200 hours on it. I think you may have missed some things in these games.

MoonFrog

To buy again or not? I'm thinking buy again, though perhaps not at launch. I've played the game a couple times on PS2 and I've got plenty of games I've never played yet that I want to but I'm interested in some of the changes and I want to support DQ in the west, particularly DQ on Nintendo portables.

Also awkward time right after holidays, though, and right before P5, then Switch.

Wiz

Not even done with VII yet!!

But I recently beat this on PS2, nearly 100%, so I'm in no rush to get this.

LordKano

Wait, what? DQVIII was well over 100 hours for me, and DQVII was almost 200 hours. Hell, i just finished the 3DS version of VII and clocked over 200 hours on it. I think you may have missed some things in these games.

Huh, I did the original VII in about 85h, and the remake in ~75, and I did everything there was to do both times.

I honestly can't see how you can spend 200h on VII.

Ridley327

Nice!

I was scared it might not come out after seeing VII's sales

This was coming out regardless. Even if it only sold as much as VII, it's likely to be a more successful game due to the localization being 90% complete for over a decade.

StereoVsn

Yeah, let's throw yet another Japanese game in the January-February release hat. I mean completing Yakuza 0, GR2, DQVIII and Persona 5 in these two months is nothing, right? :cries:

I will freaking get the game to support the release effort same way I did with VII but this is dumb.

Taruranto

I think they should delay the Last Guardian and FFXV and release them in end January/February too, there aren't enough Japanese games in that period at this point.

I'm not sure if this is as much of a must buy for me as DQ7 was, as I never finished the original. I'll have to see how I'm feeling around that time.

FStubbs

This was coming out regardless. Even if it only sold as much as VII, it's likely to be a more successful game due to the localization being 90% complete for over a decade.

This is a good point. The voice acting probably won't make it over but localization should be easy.

I loved 7 on the 3DS. It shows how even in a series as "conventional" as this you can have games as radically different as 7, 8 ... and 9.

This is a good point. The voice acting probably won't make it over but localization should be easy.

I loved 7 on the 3DS. It shows how even in a series as "conventional" as this you can have games as radically different as 7, 8 ... and 9.
Pretty sure the 3DS version of VIII is getting the brilliant voice acting.

ys45

Oh good .
Glad to see it's next year I feel like I need a break of JRPG after playing VII :p
Game was so long lol

friz898

Hell Yes!

After I sputtered out at the last minute to buy a New 3DS XL for DQ7 -- I decided to wait for DQ8.

Now I can pick it up and both!

(Is there any chance of these coming to the Switch this year as a surprise?)

VIII isn't nearly as long and also doesn't take nearly as long to get going, for whatever that's worth. Thirty hours into VII and I prefer VIII over it, but they're both quality entries.

If you compare purely the 3DS versions then 8 actually took me longer to complete all the post-game stuff than 7 did. It was like 90 hours for 8 vs. 75 hours for 7.

All the extras for 8 probably added a good 15 hours of game time for me. Granted a good part of that was those tedious photo quests where you have to keep killing a certain type of enemy to spawn a special version. And finding Sandy/Stella. Screw that quest.

Same day in EU too, nice.

It's coming out at a not great time for me. I love DQ8 but Yakuza 0 is out the following week and I'd much rather play that.

Ydelnae

January 20th for EU too. So...

Kingdom Hearts 2.8
Tales of Berseria
Dragon Quest VIII
Resident Evil 7
Yakuza 0
Gravity Rush 2

All in the same damn week. Feels like a marry, kiss, kill game. And next month there's Nioh, Persona 5, Horizon and possibly Mass Effect soon after. Which evil entity crafted 2017's release calendar?

Yeah, let's throw yet another Japanese game in the January-February release hat. I mean completing Yakuza 0, GR2, DQVIII and Persona 5 in these two months is nothing, right? :cries:

I will freaking get the game to support the release effort same way I did with VII but this is dumb.

Don't forget Kingdom Hearts 2.8, Nioh and (possibly) Nier Automata!

Then Switch + Zelda in March.

Top Bottom