• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 9 information/news thread

Llyranor

Has there been any actual detail yet re: how you populate your 4-member party if you play singleplayer or co-op with less than 4 players? Multiple created characters per player? Recruitable NPCs?

Aeana

Llyranor said:
Has there been any actual detail yet re: how you populate your 4-member party if you play singleplayer or co-op with less than 4 players? Multiple created characters per player? Recruitable NPCs?
I don't know about co-op with less than 4 players, but in singleplayer, you create your characters at Luida's place just like in DQ3.

Aeana said:
FQuV9J8fKBFawoB9zTSDTAqx6xlf4R1d_1466807.jpg

Seeing visible enemies in DQ is just... too weird. :\

Didn't Joker have visible enemies?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
It did, and it also featured a (poor) attempt at recreating the DQVIII overworld look and feel.

DarkMehm

How will the encounters with the metal slimes work? It would be too easy imo to see them on the screen and just walk up to them.

Hobbun

DarkMehm said:
How will the encounters with the metal slimes work? It would be too easy imo to see them on the screen and just walk up to them.

I'm sure they'll work like any other monster that you can see.

The difficulty in fighting a metal slime for it's massive ep isn't so much finding them, but keeping them around once combat starts.

Aeana

DarkMehm said:
I was thinking about this earlier, too, actually. I'm really interested in seeing how they will handle it. Maybe they'll zip around the screen, too, kind of like how they work in DQS.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Is it just me, or do the enemy models look better in DQIV/V DS? That pic of the hurricane enemy is kinda awful and I just fought some of those last night in DQIV. Typical DS ooglay 3D issue?

Aeana

Brandon F said:
Is it just me, or do the enemy models look better in DQIV/V DS? That pic of the hurricane enemy is kinda awful and I just fought some of those last night in DQIV. Typical DS ooglay 3D issue?
I like the way they look in DQ4 DS better, too, but I think it'll end up looking fine in motion in DQ9, as well.

ksamedi

This looks so awesome. Can't wait for this to come to Europe. I hope around august, when I will be lying on the beach in Turkey and enjoy my long vakacation :p

No really, august would be a great month to release this :D

Brandon F said:
Where does this game leave DQVI's release window?
I'm planning to play VI before IX, even if IX releases before VI. It was a good choice to drop the numbers here in Europe, so confusing for the average customer

Johnas

Aeana said:
Direct feed boat stuff!

OK, I'm definitely seeing rain in that third shot. I guess just because it's in a swampy area, but it's cool to see it.

The boat looks good too. Definitely getting more excited for this.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Holy Crap, a boat in DQ IX!?!?

What's next? Slimes? Onomatopoeia for spell names? Archaic Gameplay? A mode of flight that will be spoiled pre release? Mini Medals?

:D

I'm so excited for DQ IX!

Well, I think most DQIX screens look ugly but we've seen trailers and the game looks fantastic in motion. It was the same thing with GTA:CTW. That looks incredible in motion, so no worries.

Aeana said:
I was thinking about this earlier, too, actually. I'm really interested in seeing how they will handle it. Maybe they'll zip around the screen, too, kind of like how they work in DQS.
That's how it works in DQM:J as well. They're super fast and need to either be cornered or caught by surprise. The Metal King Slimes were the fastest in that room in Madame Rummy's place, holy crap.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Aeana said:
DQ9 was supposed to be released today. :(

Just think about it this way, when it comes out on a DSi enhanced cart in a few months, you'll be thankful they delayed it.

Aeana

sprsk said:
Just think about it this way, when it comes out on a DSi enhanced cart in a few months, you'll be thankful they delayed it.
mob_pitchforks_small_2048257.jpg

Not really, since I don't intend to buy a DSi any time soon.

Hobbun

sprsk said:

I'd be curious what enhancements they would give it, if they do anything. I hope they would be interesting.

Aeana

New stuff, that I apparently missed the magazine article about (if there was one).

http://news.dengeki.com/elem/000/000/149/149329/

First: classic menu completely confirmed!

c20090330_dq9_a09_cs1w1_256x192_2517844.jpg

Yay.

c20090330_dq9_a10_cs2w2_256x_8517420.jpg

It looks like Sandy has a diary and she keeps track of various things for you, including your adventure stats and other things like the monsters you've encountered, the quests you've done, your alchemy recipes, and so on. She also seems to have a different comment every once in a while (so basically just exactly like Trode in DQ8).

c20090330_dq9_14_cs1w1_256x_9784719.jpg

There are also apparently titles now, and these are granted by Sandy after completing various tasks, such as leveling a skill to a certain rank, or by reaching milestones in the diary. For instance, getting shield skill to level 3 gains you the "guard fighter" title. These titles are used when you communicate with other players.

There are loads more screenshots at the link, so please check them out.

Aeana

I also noticed some more returning monsters.

c20090330_dq9_c18_cs1w1_256x384_7393609.jpg

Cat mages from DQ7, and then in addition to the ones we already knew were returning, in some of the other screenshots, you can see (used new English names for the ones I could remember) laughing bag, man-o-war, metappi (mechanical birds from DQ8), hammerhood, funghoul, dracky, winkster, she-slime, bubble slime, treeface, and stone golem.

Red Scarlet

Aeana said:
I also noticed some more returning monsters.

c20090330_dq9_c18_cs1w1_256x384_7393609.jpg

Cat mages from DQ7, and then in addition to the ones we already knew were returning, in some of the other screenshots, you can see (used new English names for the ones I could remember) laughing bag, man-o-war, metappi (mechanical birds from DQ8), hammerhood, funghoul, dracky, winkster, she-slime, bubble slime, treeface, and stone golem.

Masked Moth mentioned in the lower picture! :eek:

And at least 320 monsters! :eek: :eek:

That Nain (ナイン) name has been appearing in screenshots since the beginning. Is that supposed to be one of the main characters?

Red Scarlet

AndriaSang said:
That Nain (ナイン) name has been appearing in screenshots since the beginning. Is that supposed to be one of the main characters?

It's probably just the generic name for the main character (Nine). DQ8 used "Eight" for the name of the main character in preview shots/instruction manual.

Aeana

Regulus Tera said:
Please tell me none of those selections says "look" or "stairs" or "talk". :(
No, none of them say that. Not like it would matter, though, since every DQ since 5 has had a shortcut button making you not have to go into the menu to look or talk, and stairs was only in DQ1.

Aeana

Dragona Akehi said:
Every time I come to this thread I'm afraid of spoilers. Which is why I don't come in here often. Can't wait for this!
That must be the case for everybody else, too, since I feel like I'm talking to myself in here sometimes.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
This game keeps looking better and better and better. Since this is a huge, huge game, they might as well make a DSi enhanced version. It would sell units. Seriously.

This game contains everything I'm supposed to hate in RPGs but somehow in DQ it justs feels right. My most anticipated game of the year right now.

Just a reality check for those people who are saying it looks awesome.

Imagine what it could have looked like if it was on a console and not a handheld.

Kyosuke

lucablight said:

Imagine what it could have looked like if it was on a console and not a handheld.
Have fun playing your imaginary console version then. I'll be playing the DS version which looks absolutely amazing for a DS game.

lucablight said:

This doesn't fall under the banner of "reality check" so much as it does that of "bitter tears." The Kleenex are over there, buddy.

bigswords said:
Any news of this having coop online? I do hope it has similar options to FFCC: Echos of time.

The game IS basically co-op, although it's local play. Although, when I played it at Jump, it really felt like an online game, as it was totally laggy.

Top Bottom