• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 9 information/news thread

Kenka

lucablight said:
Just a reality check for those people who are saying it looks awesome.

Imagine what it could have looked like if it was on a console and not a handheld.

So your name is Luca Blight ? Just joking.

I sincerely don't care. Given the info we have known so far, I wouldn't have appreciated the game more if it was on a console. The game looks just perfect on the DS. It would have been the same on PSP.

I'm not saying it won't be a good game. However, it's an undeniable fact that it would have been a better technical achievement if it had been made for a home console.

lucablight said:
I'm not saying it won't be a good game. However, it's an undeniable fact that it would have been a better technical achievement if it had been made for a home console.
Duh? This is something obvious to anyone. It doesn't need to be stated. It's just that some of us can confidently say a game on a technically inferior console can look awesome without thinking beyond that. DQIX looks great in motion.

Magicpaint said:
Duh? This is something obvious to anyone. It doesn't need to be stated. It's just that some of us can confidently say a game on a technically inferior console can look awesome without thinking beyond that. DQIX looks great in motion.

Maybe my standards are too high then. I will still get the game but I certainly won't be gushing with praise over the visuals of a game when it is actually a downgrade of what it could have been.

bdouble

lucablight said:

Undeniable fact any game would be a better technical achievement if they made if for the PC. :/ Everything is a downgrade.

Just because it theoretically could have looked better (what game wouldn't this apply to?) doesn't mean it doesn't look good as it is no matter what platform its on. GTA:CTW looks great for any game. Same could be said for a lot of indie and downloadable titles these days.

ksamedi

lucablight said:
Maybe my standards are too high then. I will still get the game but I certainly won't be gushing with praise over the visuals of a game when it is actually a downgrade of what it could have been.

By your logic every game should have been a PC game.

markot

Banned
I dont like the monsters on the map >_< Unless you can sneak behind them and attack from behind or whatnot.

firex

lucablight said:
Just a reality check for those people who are saying it looks awesome.

Imagine what it could have looked like if it was on a console and not a handheld.
Just a reality check for you: Cry more, no one gives a fuck.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I can't believe that there are still bitter "MY CONSOLE HAS DRAGON QUEST, JAPAN IS OURS!" console fanboys around the place. Surely you can go bicker over which console has the greatest FPS instead of laying your shit in here again.

Llyranor

bigswords said:
Any news of this having coop online? I do hope it has similar options to FFCC: Echos of time.
That would be too awesome. Unfortunately, as far as we know, there is only local co-op.

ksamedi said:
By your logic every game should have been a PC game.

How did I imply that?

firex said:
Just a reality check for you: Cry more, no one gives a fuck.

:lol I'm only telling it how it is. I even said that I think it would be a good game but it could have been so much more. No need to get so emotional.

firex

I'm not emotional, unless "jesus christ why did this stupid fucking 4 year old argument get brought up again by whiny console fanboy shitbirds" is an emotion. In which case, the way I'll stop feeling this emotion is when you fuck off.

epmode

firex said:
I'm not emotional, unless "jesus christ why did this stupid fucking 4 year old argument get brought up again by whiny console fanboy shitbirds" is an emotion. In which case, the way I'll stop feeling this emotion is when you fuck off.
Dude. Videogame forum on the internet.

Nocebo

lucablight said:
How did I imply that?
With your graphical downgrade bullshit blah blah technical achievement whatever. The top of the line pcs will always be better than anything on home consoles so why settle for less, huh?

epmode

You know, it's possible to be happy with the DS game yet still disappointed that SE didn't actually go for a tech upgrade, right? Try it, it's easy!

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
c20090326_dq9_13_cs1w1_256x_7454786.jpg

I was thinking, what's with the little command wing on the top of the screen, is it telling you how to bring up the menu? If so, I hope you can turn it off.

lucablight said:
How did I imply that?
I don't even know why I'm responding to this but...

If being on a handheld is considered a downgrade to you, then being on a console would also be "downgrade of what it could have been" since there are PCs with much better specs than the PS360. Everything should be released on PC by this logic. What you're doing is the same as going into a thread about any game on the PS3 or 360 and saying:

"Just a reality check for those people who are saying it looks awesome.

Imagine what it could have looked like if it was on PC and not a console."

It's very annoying.

firex said:

:lol You're a real class act. I'll have you know I play my DS way more than my PS3 which I haven't touched for ages now. So much for me being a console fanboy. Perhaps you might like to explain why you think what I'm saying is so wrong instead of throwing a temper tantrum because someone has a different opinion to you?

Nocebo said:
With your graphical downgrade bullshit blah blah technical achievement whatever. The top of the line pcs will always be better than anything on home consoles so why settle for less, huh?

Fuu said:
c20090326_dq9_13_cs1w1_256x_7454786.jpg

I don't even know why I'm responding to this but...

If being on a handheld is considered a downgrade to you, then being on a console would also be "downgrade of what it could have been" since there are PCs with much better specs than the PS360. Everything should be released on PC by this logic. What you're doing is the same as going into a thread about any game on the PS3 or 360 and saying:

"Just a reality check for those people who are saying it looks awesome.

Imagine what it could have looked like if it was on PC and not a console."

It's very annoying.

First of all comparing the technological gap between a DS > Wii/360/PS3 to a Wii/360/PS3> PC isn't appropriate. The difference between the DS and the other consoles is much greater. I don't think I ever once said that I wanted DQ9 to necessarily have top of the range graphics. I would have been content with it being on the Wii, PS3 or Xbox360. When I say putting DQ9 on the DS is limiting its potential I'm not talking only about the graphics. Apart from the graphics I think aspects such as the sound, length and overall depth of the game cannot compare to what they would have been on a console.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
lucablight said:
length and overall depth of the game cannot compare to what they would have been on a console.

bullshit

I cannot think of a less appropriate game to be making these already tired and lame arguments about.

firex

lucablight said:
:lol You're a real class act. I'll have you know I play my DS way more than my PS3 which I haven't touched for ages now. So much for me being a console fanboy. Perhaps you might like to explain why you think what I'm saying is so wrong instead of throwing a temper tantrum because someone has a different opinion to you?

First of all comparing the technological gap between a DS > Wii/360/PS3 to a Wii/360/PS3> PC isn't appropriate. The difference between the DS and the other consoles is much greater. I don't think I ever once said that I wanted DQ9 to necessarily have top of the range graphics. I would have been content with it being on the Wii, PS3 or Xbox360. When I say putting DQ9 on the DS is limiting its potential I'm not talking only about the graphics. Apart from the graphics I think aspects such as the sound, length and overall depth of the game cannot compare to what they would have been on a console.
It's true. I'm a class act. Thank you. While we're telling each other the truth, you're a stupid motherfucker. It has nothing to do with opinions, no matter how worthless yours is, and everything to do with how pointless your whining (along with the other dumb fuck's whining about "waaaah why isn't it a technical upgrade when this series has never been about technology") is. It's funny, but it's also unbelievably pathetic. That's why nobody cares and you should do yourself a favor and just shut the fuck up.

edit: also, Fuu: that wing thing on the touch screen is apparently part of the game's system of going to heaven or Zenithia or whatever it will be in this game to check on the main quest's progress, I believe.

levious said:
bullshit

I cannot think of a less appropriate game to be making these already tired and lame arguments about.

Time will tell. I will gladly admit I was wrong if it turns out to be the case.

firex said:
It's true. I'm a class act. Thank you. While we're telling each other the truth, you're a stupid motherfucker. It has nothing to do with opinions, no matter how worthless yours is, and everything to do with how pointless your whining (along with the other dumb fuck's whining about "waaaah why isn't it a technical upgrade when this series has never been about technology") is. It's funny, but it's also unbelievably pathetic. That's why nobody cares and you should do yourself a favor and just shut the fuck up.

edit: also, Fuu: that wing thing on the touch screen is apparently part of the game's system of going to heaven or Zenithia or whatever it will be in this game to check on the main quest's progress, I believe.

If nobody cares then why did you say there are other people who have also expressed concern about the same thing? You just contradicted yourself.

bdouble said:
Undeniable fact any game would be a better technical achievement if they made if for the PC. :/ Everything is a downgrade.

Moot point because DQ has never been on PC. Visual benchmark for the series is DQVIII on PS2. From that perspective, current gen console (or PC) is an upgrade, DS is a downgrade.

gkryhewy

lucablight said:
I think aspects such as the sound, length and overall depth of the game cannot compare to what they would have been on a console.

You really think this game is going to be shortened by virtue of being portable? I go the other way on this argument - I love my Wii60, but I prefer JRPGs (especially long ones) to be portable.

levious

lucablight said:
Time will tell. I will gladly admit I was wrong if it turns out to be the case.

no it won't, and no you won't...

If you were a follower of the series, you'd already know you were wrong.

gkrykewy said:
You really think this game is going to be shortened by virtue of being portable? I go the other way on this argument - I love my Wii60, but I prefer JRPGs (especially long ones) to be portable.

The graphics seem pretty good for a DS game so I fear that the trade off in regards to the relatively limited memory may be a shorter game.

levious

lucablight said:
I've finished DQ1,2,4,5 (snes and ds),6,7 and 8. Am I a follower?

then you're just silly, don't care to argue further, and no hard feelings. Really though, I wouldn't worry about length.

timmy

chaostrophy said:
Moot point because DQ has never been on PC. Visual benchmark for the series is DQVIII on PS2. From that perspective, current gen console (or PC) is an upgrade, DS is a downgrade.
It sucks because graphics always were the main reason to play Dragon Quest.

levious said:
then you're just silly, don't care to argue further, and no hard feelings. Really though, I wouldn't worry about length.

I don't see how that makes me silly but I do hope you are right about the length.

bounchfx

timmy said:

lol.

but yeah, even if they were - it looks fantastic even on DS.

just because it's not as 'powerful' as a 360/ps3 doesn't mean it can't be as pretty.

shit, the screens for DQ9 have better graphics (pretty-wise) than 85% of 360 games I've seen.

more polys does not = more pretty. nor does higher res textures.

gkryhewy

lucablight said:
The graphics seem pretty good for a DS game so I fear that the trade off in regards to the relatively limited memory may be a shorter game.

But it's all realtime and the texture resolution is low... I have no worries on that account. The track record for length in DQ games is well established, and Enix is nothing if not consistent.

Haunted

This looks really similar to Monsters: Joker, which I greatly enjoyed. :)

Visible enemies on the map are so much better than random encounters, imo. That is huge for me. Huge.

Aeana

Haunted said:
Visible enemies on the map are so much better than random encounters, imo. That is huge for me. Huge.
Nooo. :( Now the dungeons will be huge and open just to accommodate the wandering monsters.

firex

lucablight said:
If nobody cares then why did you say there are other people who have also expressed concern about the same thing? You just contradicted yourself.
Because everyone who whines about DQ not being on their console are idiots. It goes to the highest selling system every time. It's been like 20 years now where that's happened. If you haven't figured it out by this point, then you're dense. Now run along and play with the other kindergarteners.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
firex said:
Makes more sense, thanks.

timmy said:

Actually it sucks because I spent thousands of my hard-earned dollars on an HDTV and HD consoles under the expectation there would be plenty of JRPGs (my favorite genre) with great art and design that would take advantage of the graphics tech. But thanks anyway for trying to understand my reasoning!

bigswords

AndriaSang said:
The game IS basically co-op, although it's local play. Although, when I played it at Jump, it really felt like an online game, as it was totally laggy.

Damnit I do hope they add online play , I really love FFCC : echos of time now. Hopefully they added online co-op play to this game and it would be just so damn awesome!

Please Square don't go one step back once you have already taken one step forward.

Haunted

Aeana said:
Guilty as charged.

I mean, there are tons of elements I like about classic DQ, but random encounters... nay, truly they are not one of them.

chaostrophy said:
Actually it sucks because I spent thousands of my hard-earned dollars on an HDTV and HD consoles under the expectation there would be plenty of JRPGs (my favorite genre) with great art and design that would take advantage of the graphics tech. But thanks anyway for trying to understand my reasoning!
nelson-muntzcopycopy.png

epmode

Hollywood Duo said:
Man you Sony fanboys are still bitter about it going to DS.
This forum is driving me insane. Stop the goddamn hyperbole please. You don't have to be a mindless fanboy to prefer something that looks "GENUINELY SUPER AWESOME" over something that looks "great for ancient 3D technology".

I have every currently released console (aside from a DSi) and I'll certaintly be buying DQ9. But yeah, I'm still disappointed with SE's decision.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Haunted beat me to it. Your loss for trying to justify your purchases without waiting for the eggs to hatch.

And Dragon Quest was never about graphics. Trying to point the light on to that argument is as stale as Square trying to one-up Enix in releasing FFIV on the SNES whilst DQIV hit the NES the year prior - and that was almost twenty years ago. Grow up you idiots.

epmode said:
This forum is driving me insane. Stop the goddamn hyperbole please. You don't have to be a mindless fanboy to prefer something that looks "GENUINELY SUPER AWESOME" over something that looks "great for ancient 3D technology".

I have every currently released console (aside from a DSi) and I'll certaintly be buying DQ9. But yeah, I'm still disappointed with SE's decision.
That is not hyperbole at all. The arguement you present is especially ridiculous for a Dragon Quest game.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Aeana said:
Nooo. :( Now the dungeons will be huge and open just to accommodate the wandering monsters.

Too bad that all RPGs can't handle visible monster encounters like Mother, where enemies aggressively pursue your party and avoiding them actually takes effort.

On another note, I really hope the battles move as swiftly as the remakes of Dragon Quest IV and V do. I've been spoiled by how fast-paced those games were. Dragon Quest VIII was a bit too slow for my tastes. Get those extended battle animations and showing the party members out of Dragon Quest battles. :(

Man God

Non-Canon Member
DQ 7 looks completely shitacular when compared to other JRPGs released at the end of the PSX lifetime. Doesn't stop it from being awesome.

Also someone (probably the original fool who brought up this tired argument again) mentioned that the game would be longer on the HD systems.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

This...would buck current trends significantly.

DS is clearly the home of JRPGs this gen so its no mistake when the whale of all JRPGs ends up on it.

This isn't Tales of Whoring out the Franchise. This isn't even FF XIII versions of belts and zippers. This is Dragon Quest. Archaic is the defining characteristic of the game! Just be glad that Slime isn't rendered in ASCII!

Aeana said:

I have to agree with you. I'm sure I will buy it, but I would've much rather had random encounters than to see enemies on the screen. That was a turn off for me in FF also.

Top Bottom