• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 9 Official Japanese Thread - USE SPOILER TAGS (or we Kafrizzle yo ass)

john tv

I can tell this game is gonna consume my life, LOL. Just made my party; added a fighter, a priest, and a mage. Two males, two females. Time to go grind a bit. :D

Brofist

Synth_floyd said:
That foreigner guy is a loser. Why would anybody waste their time randomly cheering on one game and hating on another...oh wait that's what the internet and GAF is for.

Anyway yeah those are the game books. Again, with the power of the internet, can't believe people still buy them. There must be a Japanese version of gamefaqs.com and hopefully without the community aspect to it.

I'm not into the books for a few reasons, but I can understand people wanting a nicely presented guide with artwork rather than looking at a wall of text and ascii art on a webpage.

Where'd you pick your copy up from btw.

Shouta

john tv said:
I can tell this game is gonna consume my life, LOL. Just made my party; added a fighter, a priest, and a mage. Two males, two females. Time to go grind a bit. :D

Haha, I made the same exact setup.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
john tv said:

Besides the time I soloed it this is my exact party in DQ III to begin the game.

Nice, comfortable, balance. Even though thief/merchant are usually good early on because of their equips I almost never have them in an early party.

I played for a bit more today. Seems like typical Dragon Quest. I got outside of the village and wandered around a bit. I like how you can avoid the random battles mostly, except for the ghost which will hunt you down until it gets you. The cactus with the spear will just go for you in a straight line and stop if it misses you.

Also another interesting aspect to this game (and games in general) is that the difference between Japanese used in real life and the Japanese used in games, manga, anime, etc. is a lot bigger than in English. For example, the weird old man Japanese that every old guy in the series uses is never used by anyone in real life. So now it's annoying trying to sift through it while realizing that this is just useless crap I'm never going to need to use.

CANLI

c20090711_dq9shop_20_cs1w1_640x480.jpg

Rhhaaa sh.t, the best combo ever!
I hope the RED DSi will soon be released here

WhiteAce said:
cheesey - are you in TK? isn't it time we met up if so?!

Yeah, I'm in Tokyo. I've yet to meet most of J-GAF. Thus far, it's just been Vinnk, sp0rsk, and john tv.

Maybe a J-GAF meetup is in order.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
CANLI said:

this picture makes me kinda hot. so do we have to spoiler pretty much every development in the game if we try to get help on what to do/translation?

DCharlie

Banned
Yeah, I'm in Tokyo. I've yet to meet most of J-GAF. Thus far, it's just been Vinnk, sp0rsk, and john tv.

yup, we should do some getting togethering! :D

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Cheesemeister said:

You mean Tokyo-GAF. No one gives a fuck about the rest of Japan. :D

It's so damn hot that I passed the fuck out while playing on my bed. Just had
Need join my party
. Wonder how far off the party creation is.

Hobbun

Holy shit, look at that strategy guide.

I hope when the game hits stateside, we get a book that fucking big, along the same quality (or if it's better, I won't complain, either).

john tv

That's just the starter guide. :) The real guides come out in September (there's two of them -- one for maps, story, etc., and another for items, equipment, skills, etc.).

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
WhiteAce said:
yup, we should do some getting togethering! :D
Hell yeah, this time I'll be able to shower, and we can all do some multiplayer (that is, when you are allowed to buy it)

Edit: I also got the guide, its around 300 pages.

mujun

RevenantKioku said:
You mean Tokyo-GAF. No one gives a fuck about the rest of Japan. :D

It's so damn hot that I passed the fuck out while playing on my bed. Just had
Need join my party
. Wonder how far off the party creation is.

I'm keen to get an Osaka one going. Fuck it, I'm going to make a thread in Off Topic Discussion now!

Jaruru

CANLI said:

the RED DSi is HOTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!
wanna get the jp one so I can play jp DSiWare with it. PERFECTO! :lol

diddlyD

Banned
i just felt a great disturbance in the force... like millions of arm cpu's suddenly fired up and started playing the same game.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
diddlyD said:
i just felt a great disturbance in the force... like millions of arm cpu's suddenly fired up and started playing the same game.
My battery is already dead and my L button is sticking. "/
Need a DSi but I'm waiting for the Sa•Ga 2 one.

duckroll

I've cleared the opening portions of the game, and I think this is definitely a slow burner DQ. It definitely doesn't start out with a bang, and my opinion and enthusiasm for the scenario was actually pretty low at the start. It didn't seem to be as compelling or have a particular hook at first. Then it started rapidly changing as the opening portions of the game started coming together. I'm happy to say most of my fears and doubts about the potential of the game scenario based on the trailers and previously released information are mostly gone now. It feels like a DQ game and all's well in the world. :D

RevenantKioku

I haven't yet cleared the opening (lawl, slow at Japanese reading) but someone talk to me about skill points. I've got a bunch but I haven't assigned them yet. Do you get to swap jobs freely or will I be stuck with this job for a while and I might as well throw the points around?

duckroll

RevenantKioku said:
I haven't yet cleared the opening (lawl, slow at Japanese reading) but someone talk to me about skill points. I've got a bunch but I haven't assigned them yet. Do you get to swap jobs freely or will I be stuck with this job for a while and I might as well throw the points around?

Levels are restricted to classes, so you might as well spend what you have. If you change a job sometime down the line, that job starts at lvl1 anyway.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I need to stop looking into this thread. My copy doesn't arrive till Wednesday and my heart cried a little when it was dumped a few days ago :(

RevenantKioku

duckroll said:
Levels are restricted to classes, so you might as well spend what you have. If you change a job sometime down the line, that job starts at lvl1 anyway.
Oh yeah, that makes sense. I was thinking too much like DQ8, I guess. Oh well, I'm level 8 after
Bulldoger? Bulldogzer? Bulldog bulldozer, eh?
. Maybe I'm ahead? :lol

I hope it's not like Etrian Odyssey with the skill points, in that if you don't know in advance exactly where you want to put every point then you'll end up creating a gimped character. Hopefully you'll have the freedom to mess around with it a little without being penalized.

Aeana

Synth_floyd said:
I hope it's not like Etrian Odyssey with the skill points, in that if you don't know in advance exactly where you want to put every point then you'll end up creating a gimped character. Hopefully you'll have the freedom to mess around with it a little without being penalized.
I imagine that it's just like DQ8, where as long as you concentrate on a few skill lines instead of spreading them all out, you'll be fine.

antispin

So DQV has been the only DQ I've spent significant hours with; just wondering, has the monster-capture mechanic taken a back seat in this franchise? It was neat having monsters in the party.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I haven't turned on my DS in like 6 months, but I am heavily debating picking this up and a store 1 minute away from my apartment has it in stock. They are selling it for 5200 Yen, though. Damn expensive for a DS game...

Zefah said:
I haven't turned on my DS in like 6 months, but I am heavily debating picking this up and a store 1 minute away from my apartment has it in stock. They are selling it for 5200 Yen, though. Damn expensive for a DS game...

SquareEnix tax

;p

But yeah even the places that usually sell new releases cheap in denden were selling it for about 4800. At least that is the lowest I saw today.

Brofist

Zefah said:

Might as well, if there is one reason to turn your DS on this year this is probably it.

Aeana

Zefah said:
DQ8 was 8800 yen... so 5200 yen is pretty good for a DQ game.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Well I went and bought it. I sold Street Fighter IV for the PS3 since I just bought it again on Steam. I got 4,000 Yen for SFIV, which really surprised me, and picked up DQIX!

Now I need to find my DS charger!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Aeana said:
DQ8 was 8800 yen... so 5200 yen is pretty good for a DQ game.

Yeah, but 5200 Yen is a lot for a DS game!

The suggested retail price is 5,980 Yen which has to be one of the most highest, if not the highest price I have ever seen for a standard edition DS game.

Oh well, I'm sure it will be worth it. I haven't been disappointed by a main-series Dragon Quest game yet.

edit: I'll never understand the people that line up at places like Yodobashi and Bic Camera for these games just to pay full retail price when most of the time they can pick the game up at a smaller shop for a much bigger discount. This happens for pretty much every major video game release. In Akihabara you will have 100s of people lining up at Yodobashi and Sofmap, etc... only to have some of the smaller stores open 30 minutes to 1 hour earlier and sell the game for much less. It makes no sense...

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Zefah said:

The suggested retail price is 5,980 Yen which has to be one of the most highest, if not the highest price I have ever seen for a standard edition DS game.
Did you missed all the Scamco RPGs (and im@s)? :p

Waiting for my copy to arrive is going to be so agonising. >.<
I don't know if you're annoyed by it john but this gal fairy is killing me.
Just as I expected; especially when they said she was the King Trode of DQIX :/

Zefah said:

Tales of Hearts cost around 6,600 Yen! So DQIX is actually priced fairly well. I know FFIII/IV DS which were remakes cost the about the same as DQIX and the DQ DS remakes cost almost as much!

cvxfreak

Zefah said:

Oh well, I'm sure it will be worth it. I haven't been disappointed by a main-series Dragon Quest game yet.

edit: I'll never understand the people that line up at places like Yodobashi and Bic Camera for these games just to pay full retail price when most of the time they can pick the game up at a smaller shop for a much bigger discount. This happens for pretty much every major video game release. In Akihabara you will have 100s of people lining up at Yodobashi and Sofmap, etc... only to have some of the smaller stores open 30 minutes to 1 hour earlier and sell the game for much less. It makes no sense...

You'll never understand because you've got the pricing all wrong. :p Have you ever actually taken a look at Bic and Yodo's prices? Bic sells the game for ¥5,380, and you can get 10% in points (8% with a CC).

Zefah said:

Probably because they feel like they want to do the game justice, or to prove how hardcore they are. Either way it's a complete waste of time and effort.

cvxfreak

Synth_floyd said:
Probably because they feel like they want to do the game justice, or to prove how hardcore they are. Either way it's a complete waste of time and effort.

This can't be it either because he's got the pricing wrong.

Top Bottom